Have you ever caught the ball when in the crowd?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Never caught the ball but....

One of my my early BDTBL memories is when Bobby ford absolutely twatted the ball when having a shot only to hit a poor kid in the face and send him horizontally flying through the air! Absolute gold! Although i did feel bad for the kid, Bobby did give him his boots after the game! I thought you lucky bastard haha! Good times

Yes.

Scunthorpe United at BDTBL.

Robson era.

Threw it back to our no.15 just as the same time a ballboy did the same.

Think it was me who was called a ''C..T'' [The 15 not the ballboy!!]

Headed ne at Ninian park , not many there to witness it and slightly mis timed it but it looked good in front of their boyos on the side terrace ,it caught me slightly on the nose though and made my eyes water but I didn't wipe them to save face for about 10 minutes.
I caught one on Seahouses beach this afternoon from Steve simonsen in a certain penalty shoot out.

A few years ago a hoofed clearance went way up into the South Stand and clocked a bloke square on the back of the head as he wandered up the gangway for a piss. He wore the blow brilliantly, bowed to the laughing crowd and carried on his way.

I've always wandered how he knew what hit him.

England U18's (i think) back in the 90's at Saltergate. Stood on the terraces behind the goal (the fences were still up from what i remember so must have been around 1990-92). Caught the ball but when i came to return it i sized it up to kick it out of my hands. Got the power, but not the elevation as it rebounded back off the crush barrier and went bouncing off down the terraces, much to the delight of all my mates.

The only time was against Chesterfield in the LC in 2007 , remarkably not once but twice in the same match , even more remarkably ( going a bit David Coleman here) in two different sections of the ground i.e different ends of the JSS.

Bat shit crazy or what ?

Slightly different. Players used to launch some balls into the crowd for fans to keep before some big games .

Back in the 70's, probably league cup tie ( 78?) against Leeds I caught and kept one .

Back in the early 90's, a night match at home against Tottenham, we won 6-0. I was 7 years old, sat on the KOP with my dad, United come out for pre-game warm up, Alan Cork on the edge of the area has a shot which goes over the bar and hit's me in the arm. Caught me be surprise as I wasn't paying attention and hurt like a bitch, a steward came over and told my dad to keep the ball.

On the train on the way home I was two police getting on and walked down the carriage, said to my dad, are they looking for the ball we took.

UTB

QPR away quite a few years back. The team were doing warm up shooting practice, one attempt missed and hit the seat next to me which then completely shattered. Glad I never bothered trying to catch it.

I sit at theback of the kop so not much chance of getting my hands on the ball, close once though but a Monty 25 yarder sailed over my head, the kop and put the chippy window through on Shoreham street.

I got whacked on the arm by a stray Ade Akinbiyi shot away at Scunthorpe at a pre-season friendly about 10/11 years ago. Think it was before the Premiership season and I think I only went because it was a new ground and didn't think there would be much opportunity of a return visit at any point soon, only for me to become sick of the bastard place after multiple return visits.

Favourite one was Preston away. United had a free kick about 20 yards out, and Michael Brown stepped up and floated it straight in to the arms of LS26BLADE

Is there any other kind of Adi Akinbyi shot?

Not at the football, caught ball at RL tho:
Celtic Warriors v Bulls at Bridgend
Paul Deacon kicked it into touch and it wizzed above heads - I foolishly stuck my hands up (expecting it to deflect off my mitts) but it stuck firm & I had a massive cheer!
I milked it massively of course and my lad was desperate to not be associated with me.......
No sense of humour these teeenagers

On that old side terrace at L***s I leapt into a mass of Blades going for the ball and managed to get a good punch on it. Good job it was packed so no one fell over.

Not at the football, caught ball at RL tho:
Celtic Warriors v Bulls at Bridgend
Paul Deacon kicked it into touch and it wizzed above heads - I foolishly stuck my hands up (expecting it to deflect off my mitts) but it stuck firm & I had a massive cheer!
I milked it massively of course and my lad was desperate to not be associated with me.......
No sense of humour these teeenagers

In the late 70's , Castleford half back Bruce Burton called me a "stupid little bastard" for not giving him the ball as he sought to take a quick tap following a kick to touch I fielded, preferring instead to launch it instead in the direction of the back of the stand as Hunslet sought to arrange their defence.

I sit too near to the back of the kop now but I've punched a couple of stray shots at away games (just call me George Long).

Anybody caught their balls in a zip?

I have.

Mucky Jack's - though we did laugh when the Fireman tenderly set them free from Jack's gaberdine slacks.

#Plums

I headed the ball back from a misplaced cross (yet another one) from Steve Charles during a warm up.

back in the late 70s was stood behind the goal about halfway up the kop and there was a bullet of a shot which just cleared the crossbar and heading straight towards me so I put my hands up to catch it then changed my mind as the ball was a thunderbolt so I pulled my arms out of the way at the last minute then I turned round to see where the ball had went only to see the bloke behind me nose spread all over his face and blood everywhere
still makes me chuckle 40 odd years on
but if you were that bloke............. SORRY

back in the late 70s was stood behind the goal about halfway up the kop and there was a bullet of a shot which just cleared the crossbar and heading straight towards me so I put my hands up to catch it then changed my mind as the ball was a thunderbolt so I pulled my arms out of the way at the last minute then I turned round to see where the ball had went only to see the bloke behind me nose spread all over his face and blood everywhere
still makes me chuckle 40 odd years on
but if you were that bloke............. SORRY
Similarly ,I was stood next to a guy I know (I think he comes on here) having a chat while the teams were warming up at Pride park at a night match a few years ago and he was peeling an orange as we spoke ,I just glimpsed a stray ball heading my way and moved to the side as it him dead on. There was orange all over the show ,trying to show concern when you are inwardly pissing yourself is very difficult .

Something a little light hearted...........

Thinking about GB's post got me thinking about balls going into the crowd.

I keep telling my nipper - the ball has never come anywhere near me.....EVER !..........Grrrrrrrr. - and been going near on 50 years.

Any stories about having your head knocked off? leaping up like a salmon, catch it in both hands followed by great applause from the crowd? having an assist like GB's dad?

UTB
I was in row v on the Kop, reading my programme and the team were shooting in before the match.I received a almighty crack on the back of my head from a stray shot that had cannoned off a seat behind me.I sat there trying to look hard with my glasses round my chin and trying not to rub my head.My ears were still ringing when the teams came out.

Similarly ,I was stood next to a guy I know (I think he comes on here) having a chat while the teams were warming up at Pride park at a night match a few years ago and he was peeling an orange as we spoke ,I just glimpsed a stray ball heading my way and moved to the side as it him dead on. There was orange all over the show ,trying to show concern when you are inwardly pissing yourself is very difficult .
I was on the lane end against Stoke.
A Stoke player volleyed one into our crew in the warm up hitting a well known Blade at the side of his face he took a standing count.
When he got up we just burst out laughing even the coppers were pissing themselves.

One of the funniest moments i ever witnessed was at a derby match at Hillsbro' circa mid to late sixties. I went to the game with some schoolmates, mixed bunch of Utd/Wed, so had to stand on neutral territory on the Leppings Lane end. United fans were all on the kop in the famous egg match - ask yer dad (or Silent Blade).

Anyway, during the warm up there was this blue and white clad fat bird with a peroxide blond beehive screaming "yer big puff" at Birchenall every time he had a pot shot on goal. This went on for a few minutes when he let one fly which whistled past the post and yes, you guessed it, smacked her full on in the face. He went up to the railings to see if she was OK but you could tell by the grin on his face he did it on fuckin' purpose.

Never forget that, it was a fucking peach!

One of the funniest moments i ever witnessed was at a derby match at Hillsbro' circa mid to late sixties. I went to the game with some schoolmates, mixed bunch of Utd/Wed, so had to stand on neutral territory on the Leppings Lane end. United fans were all on the kop in the famous egg match - ask yer dad (or Silent Blade).
I was 4 then and didnt start going regularly until I was 7. My uncle Ronnie wrote in his book about that egg incident in Sept 1966. Woody and Jones gave us a 2-0 lead before McCalliog and an own goal levelled the scores. A few weeks earlier Blades were playing at Burnley (we lost 4-0) and Burnley fans threw eggs at Blades fans so many of the Blades fans at that match made an agreement to bring eggs to the Hillsborough derby match. Those who managed to bring eggs (despite police hearing about it and did some search on fans entering the Kop). Think it was after the kick off when Blades fans threw eggs from the back of the Kop which splattered many spectators further down

I was 4 then and didnt start going regularly until I was 7. My uncle Ronnie wrote in his book about that egg incident in Sept 1966. Woody and Jones gave us a 2-0 lead before McCalliog and an own goal levelled the scores. A few weeks earlier Blades were playing at Burnley (we lost 4-0) and Burnley fans threw eggs at Blades fans so many of the Blades fans at that match made an agreement to bring eggs to the Hillsborough derby match. Those who managed to bring eggs (despite police hearing about it and did some search on fans entering the Kop). Think it was after the kick off when Blades fans threw eggs from the back of the Kop which splattered many spectators further down

That match was the first time Bert saw United play. Sat on the very back row of the Cantilever Stand (as it was known in those days).
Come to think of it, a lot of the old timers still described Wednesday's ground as "Owlerton"

Back
Top Bottom