Wilder out

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm afraid whilst ever HRH is at the helm his lapdog Wilder will be in charge. The only way that changes is if Wilder walks out the back door again with a bag full of cash....

The back door leads to the pitch, just as it did before…

Am I making this up or do we always concede just after Norwood is wheeled on?
I wouldn't go as far to say ALWAYS, but it's a highly regular occurrence now that can no longer be put down to coincidence.
Don't have time to delve into much more of this season, but the two glaring examples are below:

Fulham H
Winning 3-1, Norwood comes on in the 85th minute. We conceded in the 86th (his first action is giving the ball away and they score from it) and the 93rd.

Man Utd A
Level at 2-2. Norwood comes on in the 78th minute. We conceded in the 81st (which he was ~90% at fault for) and 85th minute.

I wouldn't go as far to say ALWAYS, but it's a highly regular occurrence now that can no longer be put down to coincidence.
Don't have time to delve into much more of this season, but the two glaring examples are below:

Fulham H
Winning 3-1, Norwood comes on in the 85th minute. We conceded in the 86th (his first action is giving the ball away and they score from it) and the 93rd.

Man Utd A
Level at 2-2. Norwood comes on in the 78th minute. We conceded in the 81st (which he was ~90% at fault for) and 85th minute.
Correlation isn’t cause.

Is Norwood a factor, probably yes. However, obviously much more nuanced.

We have a criminally unfit squad, consistently ravaged by injuries who spend 80 minutes chasing the ball/shadows. We then need to make subs and we have to bring on weaker players.

At the same time opposing teams bring on fresh players who are actually decent, in some cases costing a lot of money.

Add to this when we have been winning, every team naturally retreats in last 15/20 mins and opposite true for the opposition.

Getting the squad to full fitness halfway through a season is a lot easier said than done. Having to recover from games, having to do more than just fitness, having to manage injuries, having a threadbare squad, having to play when not at 100%.

I’ve said before and I’ll say again, we were fucked from the start. Shambles of a preseason, late and bad recruitment, high profile and late sales, contract situations across the club.

Whilst it’s far from perfect - Feel there are some more positive decisions being made.

Norwood/Souza no longer start
Arblaster starts (and captains)
Grbic dropped (eventually)
Dropping Wes (right call despite bad replacement)
Bringing Brooks into team (understandably form dropped off)
Jebbison seemingly on cusp of new contract

CW is neither the messiah, nor a busted flush. He should have a pretty decent view of the squad, who’s up for it etc. He has effectively had a 6 month pre season, at the very least he’s got a summer and 10-15 games next season to get it right.

Fulham H

Man Utd A

Norwood came on just before we scored away at Spurs but we then we went on to lose the match.

Bournemouth away he came on and 10 minutes later Bournemouth scored the equalizer.

Last edited:
He's not just the best we could hope for, he's also one of the best managers anyone could desire of cc a similar stature to us. I'm not a clapper, it's my view and I'm entitled to it.

We'll see this time next year how well he's done and if I'm eating I'll eat humble pie.

His signings have been donated many times but he has signed some gems as we all know as well as some crap ones. With the money we can spend on wages it's not easy to attract PL players, far from it. I'm not convinced Grbic was Wilder's signing either.
You’re either a pig or you want your head testing! Nurse!

3-1 up v Fulham, he comes on and they get 2, ends up 3-3

The re-hire of Wilder is just the uninspired action of an owner that has lost interest and doesn’t want to be here.

What has Wilder achieved since he’s been back that leads you to believe he’ll turn us around?

Left us in a right state, failed at Middlesbrough, failed at Watford…. He’s a busted flush.

So if we get rid of Wilder…. Who would come and work for The Prince - with no money & likely a fire sale this summer, 15 players out of contract?

You can forget Steve Coopers of the world or even that guy at Bolton people have mentioned. We are far from an attractive option for any decent managers right now until The Prince has sold up.

If a newspaper article referred to him as an Arab, we can assume they're trying to inform the reader rather than using his race as an insult.
But the newspaper would've named him first. The other parts would add context as an introduction to the person.

e.g...
"Jurgen Klopp will lead Liverpool out for his final game next month. The German, 56, has managed Liverpool since 2015 and won 1 Premier League Title".

Am I making this up or do we always concede just after Norwood is wheeled on?
It's not great. He's played two-and-a-half games in 2024 and we've conceded 10 goals in that time.

1714466567791.png

nb - edited to include the ludicrous amount of injury time. There was also three mins at the end of the first half at Wolves but that's not included.

Attachments

• 1714466285940.png
    1714466285940.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

It's not great. He's played two-and-a-half games in 2024 and we've conceded 10 goals in that time.

View attachment 182749

nb - edited to include the ludicrous amount of injury time. There was also three mins at the end of the first half at Wolves but that's not included.

The thing Wilder has done unlike Hecky is not start him but even bringing him on for just 10 minutes is enough for things to go to shit.

The question with Norwood is, given the squad we have, who else would you bring on? And don't say 'nobody' because that's how you end up with even more injuries.

The question with Norwood is, given the squad we have, who else would you bring on? And don't say 'nobody' because that's how you end up with even more injuries.
If he was fit Tom Davies but then you do worry about his fitness levels. If we still go into next season with the same formation, preseason is vital to getting our speed and fitness levels up. We need to be +1 point after the first game just to look at the table and not be on minus

If he was fit Tom Davies but then you do worry about his fitness levels. If we still go into next season with the same formation, preseason is vital to getting our speed and fitness levels up. We need to be +1 point after the first game just to look at the table and not be on minus
He's played less than 1,000 minutes in 3 seasons. Arblaster will have played more minutes this season (by the end of the Spurs game) than Davies has in the last 4

He's played less than 1,000 minutes in 3 seasons. Arblaster will have played more minutes this season (by the end of the Spurs game) than Davies has in the last 4

A mad mad mad mad signing… Worse than all the punts on the foreign legion.. everyone knew what Davies’ fitness was like apart from it seems our recruitment team..

Three year contract 🥴

Norwood isn't good enough anymore for the Championship. He is in a rapid decline in terms of being able to compete in the top 2 tiers of football.

He struggles with 10 minutes of Premier League football, he struggled with the rigours of a full Championship season last year. He is one of few players who have done well to avoid injury but the levels are not there anymore as age is catching up with him.

His wages off the books will allow us to at least get someone more capable.

He’s 33 now.

He’s done bloody well to eek out 3 top flight seasons out of the last 5 given his age already.

Good luck to him. We may never see one like him.

Yes there will be other midfielders who are good, but few with the long passing range he has.

Some of those balls to Baldock we got conditioned to seeing were amazing to see, especially in the season we finish 9th.

All good things have to come to a close.

He’s a Burnley fan so probably not the best example but he could end up at a Preston type club for his next move. Unless he fancies MLS with the family but something suggests to me he’d be ok to remain in this country and drop down while he’s enjoying it.

He’s been a very good servant in what has been, relatively speaking, a good period for SUFC, certainly only Bassett’s time saw as much top flight football in recent times, and even that isn’t so recent for some.

Are people still thinking that he should be in charge of our rebuild next season? I’m still not convinced myself - the rebuild needs to start with the management (well, the ownership ideally, but that’s not realistic unless the Prince manages to find a buyer) and we need to instil a fighting, and ideally a winning, mentality. Otherwise we run the risk of being on the wrong end of a lot more dry-bummings next season too.

Worked miracles that first time round but since then he’s proved to be a very average manager. At best. Quite a poor manager even with his records at Boro and Watford. The fact he’s a blade and all that, he’s not good enough. Wilder out for me

Are people still thinking that he should be in charge of our rebuild next season? I’m still not convinced myself - the rebuild needs to start with the management (well, the ownership ideally, but that’s not realistic unless the Prince manages to find a buyer) and we need to instil a fighting, and ideally a winning, mentality. Otherwise we run the risk of being on the wrong end of a lot more dry-bummings next season too.

The problem we’ve got is that a replacement would need to be able to come in, pick the squad up, decide who he wants to keep/go, decide who to bring in and decide how he wants to play all with the backdrop of a boardroom shitshow.

We could do with a major overhaul and a set of fresh ideas. Last time we tried that with Slav, we didnt have anywhere near enough financial clout to support him (that’s not to say that would have guaranteed success mind you) and ended up going back to Hecky, the fella who had the job at the end of the previous season. It’s likely we’d have gone straight back up if we’d have just let him have the job.

Anyway, the point I’m trying to make is that this might be a case of better the devil you know. I really dont know whether Wilder is downing tools along with the players, he’s already looking to next season. If there’s anything of the old Wilder still there you would hope he recognises exactly what’s needed and be able to rebuild something similar to what we had before. Whether he’s still capable of that I have no idea but ultimately the decision is likely to be purely financial if the dire backroom situation is to be believed.

Worked miracles that first time round but since then he’s proved to be a very average manager. At best. Quite a poor manager even with his records at Boro and Watford. The fact he’s a blade and all that, he’s not good enough. Wilder out for me
Can’t blame wilder for today, we battered them first half. Played well for 10 minutes and then the usual collapse.

Let’s judge him next season, this isn’t his team and they’re crap. He’s not going anywhere.

He’s got them playing with a good style, good link up play and had them motivated for today.

There’s nothing more any manager can do with that group of players, Anel, Souza and Trusty are fucking hopeless. The type of goals that those three players and until last week Grbic have cost us would destroy the focus and belief of any team.

Can’t blame wilder for today, we battered them first half. Played well for 10 minutes and then the usual collapse.

Let’s judge him next season, this isn’t his team and they’re crap. He’s not going anywhere.
We were playing well at the point they went 3-1 up, should have already been looking to get Archer off and Brewster or Osula on before that, instead we got the ghost of McAtee floating around doing nowt as usual before he completely gave up on the game and put on a non-entity midfielder for a striker, it was gutless defeatest bullshit that was entirely on Wilder, we still might not have got back into it, but we didn't even try.

Back
Top Bottom