What keeps you supporting Blades?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

'What keeps you supporting the Blades'

Very little at the moment, but as a Blade I don't have much choice in the matter.

A club is for life. You can be forgiven for changing clubs if you move house as a kid to somewhere far from your original club, you can be forgiven for having a brief fixation with another club when you're a little kid (say you take a fancy to Norwich because they play in yellow or something like that) but once you're a young adult the team you support will always be the team you support.
You're not allowed to change. It's the rules. If someone says to me something like 'yeah, I'm from Sunderland and I used to go to Roker but I've been in London for a few years and support Arsenal now' I just think 'fuck off, don't talk to me about football you prick'. Just how it is.

My dad became a Blade because he was in the same class at school in Dronfield as Fred Jessop's son. Fred (pictured below) joined the Blades from Derby in December 1937 so my dad would have become a Blade when he was 7 or 8. His love for the Blades was passed onto his youngest brother (and his daughter) and then onto me (and my son)

upload_2015-11-30_19-45-9.png

If the definition of a fan is someone that goes to games, or buys merchandise or even listens intently on the radio or TV then I'm not a fan at all.
I go out when United are playing, usually golf or to the driving range when were playing a night game.
I've even taken to going to Meadowhall with our lass rather than sit and scream at some dozy cunt on the radio.
Life's too short.

My view of United can be explained quite simply.
In my lifetime (and I'm not all that old) I've seen the following clubs all win at least one trophy.
Nottm Forest, Derby, Birmingham, Leicester, Middlesboro, SWFC, Portsmouth, Wigan, Coventry, Sunderland, West Ham, Wimbledon, Ipswich, Southampton, QPR, Swindon, Wolves, Stoke City, Norwich, Oxford, Luton, Blackburn Rovers and Swansea.
Many of these clubs have won more than one trophy in my lifetime.

I've seen Bradford, Wigan, Cardiff, Bolton, Tranmere, Oldham, Luton, West Brom, Watford, Norwich, Ipswich, Leicester, West Ham, SWFC, Sunderland, Rochdale and Rotherham all appear in a major Cup Final, some of the above more than once.

I've seen the following clubs all finish in the top five of the top division, Burnley, Leicester, Derby, Norwich, Ipswich, Stoke, QPR, Nottm Forest, West Brom, Watford, Southampton, SWFC, Crystal Palace, Blackburn Rovers and West Ham. Many of the above have achieved this more than once.

I could have included Man City and Chelsea in the above categories because they still managed to win something and finish high up in the top flight on occasions even before Sheik Mansoor and Abramovich took them to a higher level. They were both very average clubs before their arrival.

I also haven't included the big clubs for obvious reasons and also left out the likes of Everton, Newcastle, Leeds and Aston Villa because you'd expect them to achieve something every so often.

Almost all of the above clubs have qualified for Europe including Bolton, and almost every single one of them has had more seasons in the top flight over the last 50 years than we have.

That level of failure in all aspects of what could be considered an achievement is a Sheffield United speciality and because of that they deserve FUCK ALL from me ever again, and they wont get it ever again until the pathetic loser mentality disappears from the useless bastard of a club
I'm sorry mate but you're passionate, you might not be a follower any more but it sounds like you hate so strongly because you care so much- and that's still a fan in my eyes.
I could be wrong but you sound like me in a way, you don't come on this forum and write a well thought out rant without still giving a shit.
I Hope we can pull you away from your golf and shopping again one day pal.
UTB

My Dad was a Blade as was his Dad, my uncle Des in his 70s goes week in week out, he talks of legends in bygone days , that's why am a blade.Alas my son now 15 was a Blade up until the age of 11.Living in the Potteries he switched allegiance to Stoke City, he has a season ticket and for 150 quid a season he can watch Bojan, Shakiri, Anautavic etc.
He came with me to the Blackpool game to watch the likes of Baxter, Sharp, Sammon......don't think he will be going back to BDTBL in the near future.Breaks my heart but it could have been a lot worse he could be a Vale fan!
I feel your pain, Captain.
We live in Leicester and my lad is 16 now. Sometimes he'll join me at SUFC for the 'big' fixtures against premier league teams (cup runs, for example). Otherwise he supports...err... Liverpool :confused:.

6th most successful side of all time in terms of points won.

I like following success.

"For Ever and Ever ............"

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/all-time-table

Home Away

P W D L F A W D L F A GD Pt Pct

1 Manchester United 4456 1368 483 376 4539 2091 775 578 876 3190 3543 +2095 6126 .600

2 Liverpool 4424 1360 495 357 4634 2155 736 582 894 2915 3281 +2113 5968 .596

3 Arsenal 4424 1309 521 381 4473 2141 718 582 913 2951 3429 +1854 5859 .583

4 Preston North End 4794 1268 613 516 4415 2686 593 611 1193 2713 4028 +414 5549 .516

5 Wolverhampton W 4734 1282 550 535 4621 2685 630 573 1164 2946 4257 +625 5536 .522

6 Sheffield United 4650 1235 590 500 4308 2576 621 569 1135 2797 4088 +441 5487 .524
That's astonishing, there's hope yet!

Some fantastic response's about why people follow our club.
Here's my tuppence worth.
When growing up in Norfolk park , and when I was still to young to go I could hear the roar of the crowd whenever United scored , while playing around the area .
Then my dad who was a pig fan , started taking me to the lane , as a mate of his used to get tickets for home games on the old John street stand, and he wouldn't go to see them in 3rd division,
I was hooked , started on a paper round and helped milkman to get money for home and some local away games.
Then begging stealing or borrowing, followed United , all over the shop .
Until that fateful day , no not Boxing Day or don givens fuckup , but moving back to Ireland , away from Sheffield and my beloved Blades, it wasn't easy being English at the height of the hunger strikes, and for the first six months couldn't leave the house in crumlin , and after eighteen months could finally start to go back to Sheffield, and see my Blades , continued doing this route for years,
Even moved back to Sheffield, but couldn't find work and with the old bill feeling my collar on a regular basis had
to move back to Ireland ,
Our club has never been the greatest at winning anything , our club hasn't been the most successful team , we've had to sell our players on a regular basis , we are fucking shite at the moment .
but our club has got me. Through some low times in my life , I will always follow this club of ours , my son (God help him ) follows us now , I'm not the sharpest tool in the box , I know good football when I see it and our team isn't playing it , in fact it's shite .
But one thing I will never change is my love for the Blades , doesn't matter ( to me ) who's the chairman, manager or who's on Twatter , my love for the Blades and hatred for the pigs , a clapper maybe , but a Blades always .

That's astonishing, there's hope yet!
And there is a serious point behind those statistics. We've won a lot of games.

Quite frequently, we are "involved".

In my 52 years of following United, we've only once gone down bottom with a poor points haul (75/76). It's nearly always a glorious failure when we fuck it up at the last minute.

Equally we are hopeless at play offs but we're frequent participants. We even managed not to go up after getting 90 points.

We've managed to get to 2 semi finals in the last seasons alone. I know we always fail but we get close.

At the moment we are witnessing some dross but I still live in hope that Adkins can breathe some new life into us.

My final point is the Lane. No finer place anywhere when that is rocking.

The only time I would consider giving up is if we left the Lane. I can't see it happening but I probably wouldn't have the same enthusiasm in another place.

UTB

Now I understand. I couldn't express it like you guys can, but every message resonates with me.

Supporting United was the first independent decision I made as a child. Feel emotional. I'm nearly 62 now and don't regret a single minute of supporting the Blades

I think if you asked supporters of any club the same question , from prem to non league you would get similar responses. Tales of loyalty , friendships and a sense of belonging, memories of great days and bad times.
I know we love to "hate" Leeds, pigs, wet sham etc as clubs , but in honesty I think we've all got more in common with other supporters of any club than we have with people who don't have a club at all..
In over 40 years since my 1st match our glory has been fleeting , just the odd season , cup run or match , does that mean that those fleeting times mean more than it does to a man Utd fan ? , it's probably different but defeat and glory still feels the same .

I'm proud to be a blade , we are a great club but in reality mainly due to the sort of comments on this thread , i.e the supporters. The sad passing of shred last season ( who I didn't know personally ) and the response on this forum said it all .

Frankly successive boards , chairmen , managers and all but a small proportion of playing staff are not worthy of the unrequited loyalty of blades fans. We should never be ashamed of demanding better .

There are lots of teams with good loyal fans who have never won owt and probably never will.
The Blades have won the League Championship once and the FA Cup four times.
Not recently true but it at least gives us the hope we can win something again and we have come close enough on many occasions in recent times.
And even if we don't, it's not winning things that makes you a fan. Or you could just f off and support Man U or Man C or someone that is always winning.

I knew somebody would totally miss the point. The big clubs will always win most of the trophies. Nobodies denying that.
The point I made is that EVERY SINGLE medium sized club has won something fairly recently.
EVERY SINGLE medium sized club has qualified for Europe fairly recently.
EVERY SINGLE medium sized club has spent quite a chunk of time in the top flight fairly recently.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM, EXCEPT CLUB RETARD OF COURSE.

That level of failure isn't down to bad luck, it's down to totally shit planning and trying to do everything in the cheapest most primitive way that it's possible to do it.
It's a totally, totally, totally shit football club that cannot do a single thing it tries to do properly because everything it tries to do is cheap, primitive, unprofessional, average, retarded, restrictive and boring.
They can get away with doing things to a sub standard because they've managed to brainwash a certain (largish) group of people into accepting failure as all part of being a Blade.
They don't have to provide you and me with ANYTHING because our minds have already been warped into accepting shit as standard.

It's not just big and medium sized clubs that have good periods of success.
By comparison ROCHDALE are being successful at the moment, they are a good established League One club. If I was a Rochdale fan I'd be pretty pleased that my club is currently the best it can be.

BRENTFORD and BOURNEMOUTH are seeing massive successes considering the size of clubs.
WIMBLEDON, LUTON and OXFORD took the world by storm when they won a trophy. Even they it seems can have their day.

I don't expect United to be challenging for the Premier League title, I don't even expect them to be a constant Premier League club.
But I do expect them to either be a Premier League club or be a club challenging to get back into the Premier League.

Anything less than that is failure. And boy has this shit club failed.

As much as this club pisses me off you just can't walk away, you get dragged back in.

We keep getting battered by the likes of Shrewbury and I always say "that's it, I'm done with this" but by the next day it's back to the same old.

UTB

6th most successful side of all time in terms of points won.

I like following success.

"For Ever and Ever ............"

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/all-time-table

Home Away

P W D L F A W D L F A GD Pt Pct

1 Manchester United 4456 1368 483 376 4539 2091 775 578 876 3190 3543 +2095 6126 .600

2 Liverpool 4424 1360 495 357 4634 2155 736 582 894 2915 3281 +2113 5968 .596

3 Arsenal 4424 1309 521 381 4473 2141 718 582 913 2951 3429 +1854 5859 .583

4 Preston North End 4794 1268 613 516 4415 2686 593 611 1193 2713 4028 +414 5549 .516

5 Wolverhampton W 4734 1282 550 535 4621 2685 630 573 1164 2946 4257 +625 5536 .522

6 Sheffield United 4650 1235 590 500 4308 2576 621 569 1135 2797 4088 +441 5487 .524

Unbelievable but, I suppose stats don't lie !.

WIMBLEDON, LUTON and OXFORD took the world by storm when they won a trophy. Even they it seems can have their day

And where are they now??

I think you have missed the point, unless counting counting trophies (whilst undoubtedly an integral part of a football teams reason for existence) is ALL that matters. If it is, Meadowhall the better option o a Saturday.

I knew somebody would totally miss the point. The big clubs will always win most of the trophies. Nobodies denying that.
The point I made is that EVERY SINGLE medium sized club has won something fairly recently.
EVERY SINGLE medium sized club has spent quite a chunk of time in the top flight fairly recently.

That level of failure isn't down to bad luck, it's down to totally shit planning and trying to do everything in the cheapest most primitive way that it's possible to do it.
It's a totally, totally, totally shit football club that cannot do a single thing it tries to do properly because everything it tries to do is cheap, primitive, unprofessional, average, retarded, restrictive and boring.
They can get away with doing things to a sub standard because they've managed to brainwash a certain (largish) group of people into accepting failure as all part of being a Blade.
They don't have to provide you and me with ANYTHING because our minds have already been warped into accepting shit as standard.

It's not just big and medium sized clubs that have good periods of success.
By comparison ROCHDALE are being successful at the moment, they are a good established League One club. If I was a Rochdale fan I'd be pretty pleased that my club is currently the best it can be.

BRENTFORD and BOURNEMOUTH are seeing massive successes considering the size of clubs.
WIMBLEDON, LUTON and OXFORD took the world by storm when they won a trophy. Even they it seems can have their day.

I don't expect United to be challenging for the Premier League title, I don't even expect them to be a constant Premier League club.
But I do expect them to either be a Premier League club or be a club challenging to get back into the Premier League.

Anything less than that is failure. And boy has this shit club failed.
I dont get why you expect us to be in the prem
weve only managed 5 seasons in the last 40 years there 2 we were relegated and 2 just missed relegation
Hard as it is to accept we are a championship level club , statistically in the last generation

Rochdale are finally after 50 years in division 4 enjoying a couple of seasons in a higher division
I fail to see how they come into the equation, unless youd have preferred their last generation history ,
Bournemouth are going to at best match our 1 season in the sun Brentford wont match our record of 2003 to 2009

On the plus side, this post has encouraged me to take TrueBarny off Ignore, at least he only hates the manager, the board and most of the players.

Wednesday fans go on and on about this , having qualified twice in the past 40 years for europe
Next time one does ask him to list all the european glory nights they experienced
which one of the recognised top european clubs did Wednesday put to the sword

I know they beat Spora Luxemborg, but they are the equivalent of Stocksbidge Park Steels
nip in the Wednesday shop and enquire on their european nights of glory dvds

Remember the butterflies that you felt with your first date, well supporting the blades is 1 long date that will never end.

And where are they now??

I think you have missed the point, unless counting counting trophies (whilst undoubtedly an integral part of a football teams reason for existence) is ALL that matters. If it is, Meadowhall the better option o a Saturday.

Who cares where they are now ?
It makes it all the more pathetic when you consider that they bought a young John Aldridge, Ray Houghton and Dean Saunders for a pittance because a certain other club wouldn't pay the pittance for them.

Wednesday fans go on and on about this , having qualified twice in the past 40 years for europe
Next time one does ask him to list all the european glory nights they experienced
which one of the recognised top european clubs did Wednesday put to the sword

I know they beat Spora Luxemborg, but they are the equivalent of Stocksbidge Park Steels
nip in the Wednesday shop and enquire on their european nights of glory dvds

Once again, a total missing of the point.
I knew that someone would pick one isolated area out of what I said which is why I mentioned winning trophies, qualifying for Europe and achieving high league positions.

It seems to have flown straight over your head that Wendy and everyone else "QUALIFIED" for Europe by achieving something in the first place.

I'm sorry mate but you're passionate, you might not be a follower any more but it sounds like you hate so strongly because you care so much- and that's still a fan in my eyes.
I could be wrong but you sound like me in a way, you don't come on this forum and write a well thought out rant without still giving a shit.
I Hope we can pull you away from your golf and shopping again one day pal.
UTB

Definitions...

Fan, (fanatic)...
Doesn't ever miss a game, buys all shirts season tickets, lives breathes the club, will go on about the club until everybody is bored whithin hearing distance, travels to fleetwood on a wet Tuesday night with his last few quid till pay day.. Does it all again next week.....

Supporter...
A person who will support the club emotionally and financially, will buy the shirts for his kid, supporting the club by financial imput and going to games therefore supporting physically by cheering them on, wouldn't go to gillingham on the first day as its too far, and a bit too pricey... Unlike the fan..

Follower....
A person who has possibly occupied the other two positions at some stage of thier life, but other things came along and the game changed for them, they still talk about the club, have a United mug on the desk at work are acknowledged as a blade but don't go to any games or once in a blue moon, they follow our results on the radio and tv, keep an interested eye on things, but rarely financially support the club anymore....

Currently I'm a supporter, I have been a fan, can't ever see myself becoming a follower, I know some might say a follower, follows the team, but it's the diehards that really follow in that way, you know, the fans....

As for why I'm still going, well, my next game is Bradford, cause I'm doing nights out with mates and family, it's a dear do trying to fit it all in but had we been storming the league as I expected all things would have been pushed sideways in my life to ride the bladercoaster...lol. But seeing as it's more like the smiler, I'll get on when I feel I can cope with the possibility of going tits up...

Once again, a total missing of the point.
I knew that someone would pick one isolated area out of what I said which is why I mentioned winning trophies, qualifying for Europe and achieving high league positions.

It seems to have flown straight over your head that Wendy and everyone else "QUALIFIED" for Europe by achieving something in the first place.
again whats it done for crystal palace , playing in the inter toto cup
or hull in their losing qualifier
millwall really benifitted from blagging a european adventure, by default
my one dread about getting to the FA cup final was qualifying for the joke that is the Europa cup
Who wants to play in games like a part of this seasons europa draw

Newtown AFC (WAL) v Valletta FC (MLT)
Glenavon FC (NIR) v FC Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR)
NSÍ Runavík (FRO) v Linfield FC (NIR)
FK Atlantas Klaipėda (LTU) v PFC Beroe Stara Zagora (BUL)
FK Spartaks Jūrmala (LVA) v FK Budućnost Podgorica (MNE)
FC Progrès Niederkorn (LUX) v Shamrock Rovers FC (IRL)
Cork City FC (IRL) v KR Reykjavík (ISL)
which of those do you wish wed be playing

Klaipeda sounds like a veneral disease

We only missed out on Europe in 1974 as the rules were different , just our luck
if you avoid the top 8 thats always played in Europe and the early winners of the third competition west ham and ipswich
and Norwichs win in Munich
every other teams european forrays have all been forgotten

the only european competition worth a light is the champions league
and I think we can forget that for a while

Last edited:
again whats it done for crystal palace , playing in the inter toto cup
or hull in their losing qualifier
millwall really benifitted from blagging a european adventure, by default
my one dread about getting to the FA cup final was qualifying for the joke that is the Europa cup
Who wants to play in games like a part of this seasons europa draw

Newtown AFC (WAL) v Valletta FC (MLT)
Glenavon FC (NIR) v FC Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR)
NSÍ Runavík (FRO) v Linfield FC (NIR)
FK Atlantas Klaipėda (LTU) v PFC Beroe Stara Zagora (BUL)
FK Spartaks Jūrmala (LVA) v FK Budućnost Podgorica (MNE)
FC Progrès Niederkorn (LUX) v Shamrock Rovers FC (IRL)
Cork City FC (IRL) v KR Reykjavík (ISL)
which of those do you wish wed be playing

Klaipeda sounds like a veneral disease

We only missed out on Europe in 1974 as the rules were different , just our luck
if you avoid the top 8 thats always played in Europe and the early winners of the third competition west ham and ipswich
and Norwichs win in Munich
every other teams european forrays have all been forgotten

the only european competition worth a light is the champions league
and I think we can forget that for a while

Yes, I'd clean forgotten Middlesbrough and Fulham reaching the Final. Exactly how long does Happy Hour last in Capo Roig?

Yes, I'd clean forgotten Middlesbrough and Fulham reaching the Final. Exactly how long does Happy Hour last in Capo Roig?
again you slag off us blades relentlessly for losing in play off finals but your praising other teams that lose in finals

how does that work

lets haveve some consistancy in an argument

or are our play off final losses now heroic

tell me off the top of your head , who did Fulham beat in the semi finals , without looking it up
I bet it must be worth remembering
and who did boro beat

Unless its a champions league run its not worth a light
Tell me Fulhams european adventure , where did it get them , struggling at the wrong end of the championship as it over stretched their budget

Last edited:

About 6 hours then .......

Back
Top Bottom