What keeps you supporting Blades?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It just is. It isn't whether you go or you support from home, or you support from afar, it just is. Sometimes I don't give a fuck (like now) but it doesn't mean I don't support. I was a blade from the moment my Dad took me to breathe the atmosphere and see my first game of football. I'll be a blade when I breathe my last breath. It isn't about how many times you go, how long you have supported, they are your team. You can't change that, It just is.

It just is. It isn't whether you go or you support from home, or you support from afar, it just is. Sometimes I don't give a fuck (like now) but it doesn't mean I don't support. I was a blade from the moment my Dad took me to breathe the atmosphere and see my first game of football. I'll be a blade when I breathe my last breath. It isn't about how many times you go, how long you have supported, they are your team. You can't change that, It just is.

As we get older the sheer effort of attending games starts to outweigh the enjoyment. We travel 4 hours for every home game and sometimes feel daft for making the effort and commitment.

Involvement in this website refreshes my interest time and again, but it also makes me more intense about the issues; again at times I feel daft but debating the issues helps me learn so much.

Are United worth the devotion we give them? For us yes but only in the sense that we wouldn't choose to miss any part of the development/ history of the club, it's a lifetime investment in being Blades, my main hobby.

At times the club is poor value but only if I think the owners are taking the piss (like Newcastle, Leeds) would I vote with my feet. I respect the fact that our Blade owner has tried and failed but I do not know anything much about our other owner. So far so good with him ( not in relation to results unfortunately) but I am uncomfortable with the Saudi nation and it would not take much for me to stop believing. I like to believe in anything I support and understand and sympathise with those who have lost their belief in McCabe. I feel so sorry for supporters of clubs with "iffy" owners such as Blackpool. Why should they support them, because they do, come what may, "it just is" but has become a farce.

Each season the decision to renew season tickets gets harder but I can see myself supporting from afar and studying videos of the matches retrospectively like Bergen and I see advantages in doing that.

Sadly, in our family the support will fade away over the years. Our kids are less committed in terms of going to games from afar and nobody is making any effort to develop the interest of our grandkids. That is a conscious decision on my part and there will be no legacy in our family in the heritage sense because of the way football is and United are.

Same with my family. I'm the only ever Blade and extremely unlikely that anyone will follow me, Bladism will die with me, which makes things like this website so important. Being a Sheffield United supporter has sustained me through my life. I'm a bit annoyed with myself that I didn't fully appreciate the good and successful times when they came around, so fleeting

All of the above. I first went in 1962 and have followed them from the very top, down to the Fourth and there's every chance of seeing them back in the basement next season. I enjoy seeing my fellow-sufferers for a chat, but it's getting increasingly difficult to make the effort. Quality? None. Effort? Very little. Excitement? See Quality.

Without indulging in 'Brian the Blade' hyperbole, I do think we're sleep-walking to disaster. We're having historically-embarrassing results almost every game. Under Clough, the 4-0 defeat at Crewe was seen as a nadir. This season? Crewe, Gillingham, Port Vale, Oldham, Fleetwood, Southend, Shrewsbury... this list goes on.

Because if I didn't have to go down there fighting for a parking place, in the freezing cold, watching a bunch of the worst players I have ever seen lose to a team with the second worst players I have ever seen, my Saturdays would be shit.

Its hope, despair, comradeship, passion, identity, nightmares and dreams. Its roots, childhood, family, tradition, history, belief and direction. Its part of life's lessons, the doorway to the school of hard knocks and the nearest I ever want to come to trench warfare. Its a part of who I am, who I was and who I will be.

It is what it is, after all, isn't that what supporting a team is about? The downside is that it's intensely frustrating, even annoying. We flatter to deceive, we are considered as a so-called 'big' club, and some of us fall into that mistaken belief.

The need for someone with a clarity of vision, someone who could implement a plan of recovery is sorely missed. Apart from anything else, the number of players we've signed and at what cost? I mistook the signing of Brayford as an indication that we might be on the cusp of being prepared to buy players who are actually equipped to deliver promotion. Sadly we flattered to deceive.

It's like self-inflicted punishment, to be a Blade means we're masochists of the most intense order.....bollocks, the future looks decidedly bleak

UTB!

If the definition of a fan is someone that goes to games, or buys merchandise or even listens intently on the radio or TV then I'm not a fan at all.
I go out when United are playing, usually golf or to the driving range when were playing a night game.
I've even taken to going to Meadowhall with our lass rather than sit and scream at some dozy cunt on the radio.
Life's too short.

My view of United can be explained quite simply.
In my lifetime (and I'm not all that old) I've seen the following clubs all win at least one trophy.
Nottm Forest, Derby, Birmingham, Leicester, Middlesboro, SWFC, Portsmouth, Wigan, Coventry, Sunderland, West Ham, Wimbledon, Ipswich, Southampton, QPR, Swindon, Wolves, Stoke City, Norwich, Oxford, Luton, Blackburn Rovers and Swansea.
Many of these clubs have won more than one trophy in my lifetime.

I've seen Bradford, Wigan, Cardiff, Bolton, Tranmere, Oldham, Luton, West Brom, Watford, Norwich, Ipswich, Leicester, West Ham, SWFC, Sunderland, Rochdale and Rotherham all appear in a major Cup Final, some of the above more than once.

I've seen the following clubs all finish in the top five of the top division, Burnley, Leicester, Derby, Norwich, Ipswich, Stoke, QPR, Nottm Forest, West Brom, Watford, Southampton, SWFC, Crystal Palace, Blackburn Rovers and West Ham. Many of the above have achieved this more than once.

I could have included Man City and Chelsea in the above categories because they still managed to win something and finish high up in the top flight on occasions even before Sheik Mansoor and Abramovich took them to a higher level. They were both very average clubs before their arrival.

I also haven't included the big clubs for obvious reasons and also left out the likes of Everton, Newcastle, Leeds and Aston Villa because you'd expect them to achieve something every so often.

Almost all of the above clubs have qualified for Europe including Bolton, and almost every single one of them has had more seasons in the top flight over the last 50 years than we have.

That level of failure in all aspects of what could be considered an achievement is a Sheffield United speciality and because of that they deserve FUCK ALL from me ever again, and they wont get it ever again until the pathetic loser mentality disappears from the useless bastard of a club

Why do I support United?

It's simple.

Every other club in the entire world is shit. Now, they may have had more success, lots of shiny trophies, lots of glory, big impressive grounds, but they're shit. All of them. Wednesday, Rotherham, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, all the foreign chaps, they're all shit.

And here's why. None of them are Shefield United. None of them play at Bramall Lane, none of them have a proper badge in any of their different guises, none of them give me the tingle down my spine and make the hairs on the back of my neck the way Sheffield United do. It's in my genes to support Sheffield United, as my family have before me and hopefully will continue to do.

It's not about the glory, the winning, the success and the shiny cups. It's about belonging. I watch my football at Bramall Lane. Everywhere else I am a visitor. At Bramall Lane I am at home. We may not have the success, but that's not what it's about.

See? Everyone else is shit. The Blades are mine.

For all the dozens & dozens of shit games we have to put up with, there is the Cardiff 5-1, Watford 3-0, Battle of Bramall Lane v Hull City, Leeds cup game, 3-1 v Pigs, Forest play off game (mega), cup games a couple of seasons ago, all games where you leave the ground buzzing. Few and far between, but days when it is good to be a Blade. The Blades sense of humour, frequently witnessed on this site, when the going isn't so good. Plus, looking forward to the day I'll be able to write something positive about the team instead of having to moan all the time.:(.

It's the nearest thing I'll ever have to a religion. And like a religion it compels me to visit the Church Of Bramall Lane on Saturdays, mix with my brothers and sisters from the congregation and sit through the sermon, no matter how shit it is.
I too, liken it to a religion. My two sisters both 'found God' and are born again Christians, so much so, that one became a deacon and the other is married to a vicar. Me, I just found United.

Some great replies on here, well done chaps!

For me I support and follow Blades as I simply cant not. I cant stop myself from checking our scores, hating when we lose and being overjoyed when we win.

My grandparents were Blades, my Dad and uncles are blades and I'm a blade. Its a hard cross to carry, especially at the moment but I'm stuck with it.

Sometimes I really wish I didn't care, but I do, its in my blood as many have said.

My Dad was a Blade as was his Dad, my uncle Des in his 70s goes week in week out, he talks of legends in bygone days , that's why am a blade.Alas my son now 15 was a Blade up until the age of 11.Living in the Potteries he switched allegiance to Stoke City, he has a season ticket and for 150 quid a season he can watch Bojan, Shakiri, Anautavic etc.
He came with me to the Blackpool game to watch the likes of Baxter, Sharp, Sammon......don't think he will be going back to BDTBL in the near future.Breaks my heart but it could have been a lot worse he could be a Vale fan!

6th most successful side of all time in terms of points won.

I like following success.

"For Ever and Ever ............"

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/all-time-table

Home Away

P W D L F A W D L F A GD Pt Pct

1 Manchester United 4456 1368 483 376 4539 2091 775 578 876 3190 3543 +2095 6126 .600

2 Liverpool 4424 1360 495 357 4634 2155 736 582 894 2915 3281 +2113 5968 .596

3 Arsenal 4424 1309 521 381 4473 2141 718 582 913 2951 3429 +1854 5859 .583

4 Preston North End 4794 1268 613 516 4415 2686 593 611 1193 2713 4028 +414 5549 .516

5 Wolverhampton W 4734 1282 550 535 4621 2685 630 573 1164 2946 4257 +625 5536 .522

6 Sheffield United 4650 1235 590 500 4308 2576 621 569 1135 2797 4088 +441 5487 .524

What keeps me supporting the Blades?

Well, my balls dropped at Bramall Lane ... or was it that I dropped ... whatever, as a kid they bloody froze.

Allied to that - having moved to Sheffield as a youngster, I just had to choose. Loved the Lane. Was taken (forced) to see Wednesday play West Brom in the FA Cup by a mate's dad who wanted to 'save me from the dark side'. United were playing Everton, at home. The game I saw was boring - except for West Brom who were slighlty good at the time. But when the score flashed up that United had come back to win 2-1 I went mental (still with a high pitched voice). I just knew who I supported. Left Hillsborough on a real high, loving it that everyone around was so depressed. Loved the drive home. They were silent - I wasn't. I swore never to go back - and haven't.

Bollocks to everyone else - we are The Blades.

Every time I feel low, I think back to that day :) And a some others.

TBH - I have yet to meet a Weds. fan who hasn't gone on and on about how much better they are. Such an inferiority complex. The final point - it's in my blood. Look at your veins through skin, they seem to be blue. However, on the inside it's red. End of.

One definition of insanity is supposedly that you keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

Well being a Blades fan is similar to this no? Its an interesting thing to think about!

3rd Division for the 6th year, 12th place, no signs of promotion. Why the hell do you bother still turning up
to watch the utter crap that we are being served?

Are we insane?!!I

I don't go very often, living down south but for those of you who go regularly, I take my hat off to you.

Gavlar.

yes cos football never changes and never has we are doomed here for eternity
no other clubs have ever been in div 3 for 5 seasons ( not 6 ) then moved up
I see your point
we turn up because weve supported them in div 4
and then went back to the top flight

My grandparents were Blades, my Dad and uncles are blades and I'm a blade. Its a hard cross to carry, especially at the moment but I'm stuck with it.

Pah! Born a Blade, you at least have an excuse... I chose to support them! And been falling deeper in love over the last 24 years, yes, even when she has treated me with such disdain!

In hindsight, I didn't chose as such, it was love at first sight (standing on the John Street terrace in fact)

Never regretted it, which is ironic as HB Jnr and I just been discussing which match has been our worst.

I had a simple choice to make in my early years. I could support a bag of shite or a bunch of wankers. I chose a bag of shite and will stay loyal to that bag of shite until the end of time.

I had a simple choice to make in my early years. I could support a bag of shite or a bunch of wankers. I chose a bag of shite and will stay loyal to that bag of shite until the end of time.
That pretty much sums up the choices in Sheffield if you want to see live football; a bag of shite or a bunch of wankers.

My granddad was a Blades fan although he lived less than a mile from Hillsborough. He saw them win the League Championship and the FA Cup 115 years' ago. He took me to my first game versus Plymouth Argyle in August 1960 - we won 3-0.
Never supported anyone else - so Blades. gimme a break !

UTB

If the definition of a fan is someone that goes to games, or buys merchandise or even listens intently on the radio or TV then I'm not a fan at all.
I go out when United are playing, usually golf or to the driving range when were playing a night game.
I've even taken to going to Meadowhall with our lass rather than sit and scream at some dozy cunt on the radio.
Life's too short.

My view of United can be explained quite simply.
In my lifetime (and I'm not all that old) I've seen the following clubs all win at least one trophy.
Nottm Forest, Derby, Birmingham, Leicester, Middlesboro, SWFC, Portsmouth, Wigan, Coventry, Sunderland, West Ham, Wimbledon, Ipswich, Southampton, QPR, Swindon, Wolves, Stoke City, Norwich, Oxford, Luton, Blackburn Rovers and Swansea.
Many of these clubs have won more than one trophy in my lifetime.

I've seen Bradford, Wigan, Cardiff, Bolton, Tranmere, Oldham, Luton, West Brom, Watford, Norwich, Ipswich, Leicester, West Ham, SWFC, Sunderland, Rochdale and Rotherham all appear in a major Cup Final, some of the above more than once.

I've seen the following clubs all finish in the top five of the top division, Burnley, Leicester, Derby, Norwich, Ipswich, Stoke, QPR, Nottm Forest, West Brom, Watford, Southampton, SWFC, Crystal Palace, Blackburn Rovers and West Ham. Many of the above have achieved this more than once.

I could have included Man City and Chelsea in the above categories because they still managed to win something and finish high up in the top flight on occasions even before Sheik Mansoor and Abramovich took them to a higher level. They were both very average clubs before their arrival.

I also haven't included the big clubs for obvious reasons and also left out the likes of Everton, Newcastle, Leeds and Aston Villa because you'd expect them to achieve something every so often.

Almost all of the above clubs have qualified for Europe including Bolton, and almost every single one of them has had more seasons in the top flight over the last 50 years than we have.

That level of failure in all aspects of what could be considered an achievement is a Sheffield United speciality and because of that they deserve FUCK ALL from me ever again, and they wont get it ever again until the pathetic loser mentality disappears from the useless bastard of a club
There are lots of teams with good loyal fans who have never won owt and probably never will.
The Blades have won the League Championship once and the FA Cup four times.
Not recently true but it at least gives us the hope we can win something again and we have come close enough on many occasions in recent times.
And even if we don't, it's not winning things that makes you a fan. Or you could just f off and support Man U or Man C or someone that is always winning.

Who else would you support?

What do you base your support of a club on?

For me it's the shared history between family and friends the comradery with each other.

Everything else is irrelevant its us against the world no matter how bad it is we will always be there supporting our club.

Long after managers, players and chairmen have been and gone we will still be there and we will stand the test of time.

We are the ones who pay to watch the team, we are the ones who scrape together money to go to the game, we are the ones who travel the length and breast of gods green land, we are the ones who brave all weathers, we are the ones that miss special occasions to be at the match...

Without us there would be no club.

WE are Sheffield United and don't let anyone ever make you feel different.

Back
Top Bottom