CONFIRMED Vinícius Souza

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Love owt like that. That 10 seconds giving his match shirt and photo taken will make that little lads year. 👏

Exactly this. It’s not hard to do and is literally nothing with what they earn. Big Vini seems to have a great personality, heard a lot about him being a top bloke around the staff and fans.

Said it after his first game for us that he’ll leave us for £40M one day and will contain the side. He’s immense.

Said it after his first game for us that he’ll leave us for £40M one day and will contain the side. He’s immense.
Wow, Ive even seen it also mentioned on here that he’ll go for 60 million one day… crazy talk but I hope your right but I must be only one of the odd few left that don’t rate him, yes he has improved under Wilder but still miles off premier league quality for me.

Lies, damn lies and statistics caveat but these are from the official Premier League site regarding interceptions and tackles.
View attachment 177398View attachment 177399

The tackles one is pretty misleading as it’s number of tackles ATTEMPTED. Souza’s tackle win rate is 48% which is 110th best in the PL and behind plenty of others in the squad (including McAtee, of all people). He’s 34th in the PL for interceptions.

The tackles one is pretty misleading as it’s number of tackles ATTEMPTED. Souza’s tackle win rate is 48% which is 110th best in the PL and behind plenty of others in the squad (including McAtee, of all people). He’s 34th in the PL for interceptions.
Attempted tackles?! How and why is that a measured metric? I’ve attempted to walk past without dipping in the open tin of Quality Street 9 times today. And failed 7 times.

Funny how some players just connect with people and others less so. I have liked him as a signing and think he could play a big part in the club for the next few years. He seems to have at least tried to embrace being a blade and his performances have also been improving which is always a positive trajectory.

Hope he keeps improving and he also keeps putting the effort in, he seems like a keeper (as in one to keep, not to replace foderingham...)

Attempted tackles?! How and why is that a measured metric?

I suppose he should just not bother to get into positions where he can attempt to win the ball and just let opposing players just sail past him?

I suppose he should just not bother to get into positions where he can attempt to win the ball and just let opposing players just sail past him?
Him standing off and not being taken out of play would be better than throwing himself into unwinnable tackles

Top 10 midfielders. Tackles won+blocks+interceptions+clearances

PlayerTotalPer 90
João Palhinha
135​
8.6​
Christian Nørgaard
123​
7.2​
Edson Álvarez
121​
8.1​
Vinicius Souza
119​
7.1​
Declan Rice
111​
5.7​
Tomáš Souček
109​
6.4​
Mario Lemina
102​
6.3​
Conor Gallagher
99​
5.6​
James Garner
99​
5.5​
Oliver Norwood
95​
6.7​

Top 10 midfielders. Tackles won+blocks+interceptions+clearances

PlayerTotalPer 90
João Palhinha
135​
8.6​
Christian Nørgaard
123​
7.2​
Edson Álvarez
121​
8.1​
Vinicius Souza
119​
7.1​
Declan Rice
111​
5.7​
Tomáš Souček
109​
6.4​
Mario Lemina
102​
6.3​
Conor Gallagher
99​
5.6​
James Garner
99​
5.5​
Oliver Norwood
95​
6.7​
I this per tackle attempted?, i.e. is it Norwood has won 6.7 tckles he's attempted out of 95?

I this per tackle attempted?, i.e. is it Norwood has won 6.7 tckles he's attempted out of 95?
No. That's tackles won+blocks+interceptions+clearances per 90 minutes played. So Norwood is at 6.7 per 90 for those things combined

He's attempted 35 tackles and won 21

Sometimes that would actually be the correct decision.

As with any statistics (at least those available to the public) there's a lot of context missing with tackles won/lost. Did the lost tackle lead to a chance given up? Was the tackle lost because the player went out of defensive structure chasing someone etc

As with any statistics (at least those available to the public) there's a lot of context missing with tackles won/lost. Did the lost tackle lead to a chance given up? Was the tackle lost because the player went out of defensive structure chasing someone etc
Exactly mate, like if you stand off and let players through, then make one tackle ,you've a 100% success rate

Aren't all our defensive stats (by volume) likely to be higher than most other teams because we're defending ALL the time in matches. I would hazard a guess that Wes's saves stat is probably higher than a lot of keepers because of the volume of shots he faces, doesn't mean he's one of the best keepers in the league.

Aren't all our defensive stats (by volume) likely to be higher than most other teams because we're defending ALL the time in matches. I would hazard a guess that Wes's saves stat is probably higher than a lot of keepers because of the volume of shots he faces, doesn't mean he's one of the best keepers in the league.

Indeed, you've got to be real careful with stats in places. Not that it stops people going "bUt oSUlA haS ThREe gOAlS iN FifTY gAmeS" when the average game lasts 20 minutes

Him standing off and not being taken out of play would be better than throwing himself into unwinnable tackles

Quite possibly. I'm just playing devil's advocate, and you know as well as I do there'd be droolers on here complaining that Souza never makes tackles if he did exactly that

Quite possibly. I'm just playing devil's advocate, and you know as well as I do there'd be droolers on here complaining that Souza never makes tackles if he did exactly that
100%. Stats can always be misleading. Based on the eye test, he's definitely willing to tackle. I just think he's a bit too slow to be a top end DM, especially when he doesn't offer much going forward.

Improving though.

Forgetting stats, I see Vini as at least a viable presence in the midfield. I think he would have worked really well with Berge as a central two, even if they are both hopeless in the air for big fellas.

Souza needs a ball carrier to play it off to, which I think is why Brookes and McAtee have been good options. Will be interesting to see how we line up with Blaster back and Davis returning. Seems like we have lots of options all of a sudden.

I wonder how his stats were under Hecky when he was played out of position to accommodate Norwood compared to his games under Wilder in his natural position.
Presumably his stats include games under Hecky where his position was not where he felt most comfortable or efficient?
Maybe he will become even more more effective now that Wider is calling the shots?

Back
Top Bottom