The Magnificent Seven!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BladeFisher

Reaction score
What have the following clubs all have in common?:)

Aston Villa, Bolton Wanderers, Newcastle United, Sheffield United, Sunderland, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United

They all have a "concourse 300" who travel to away games but never actually see a single minute of the 90

I cannot believe we are listed in a thread that has magnificent in the title!

I cannot believe we are listed in a thread that has magnificent in the title!

No , again I re-iterate this is a serious statistic.

As a clue I'll put the magnificent seven in reverse order of 'how magnificent' they are.

In seventh place is........Newcastle United
in joint 5th place are.....Sheffield United and Tottenham Hotspur
in 4th place is........ .......Sunderland
in joint 2nd place are....Bolton Wanderers and West Ham United
and the winner is......... Aston Villa

No , again I re-iterate this is a serious statistic.

As a clue I'll put the magnificent seven in reverse order of 'how magnificent' they are.

In seventh place is........Newcastle United
in joint 5th place are.....Sheffield United and Tottenham Hotspur
in 4th place is........ .......Sunderland
in joint 2nd place are....Bolton Wanderers and West Ham United
and the winner is......... Aston Villa

I would guess it's something to do with Cup Finals as we and Spurs were the 1901 finalists and Bolton and West Ham were the 1923 finalists.

Both of those games attracted World Record crowds, so that might be part of it.

I would guess it's something to do with Cup Finals as we and Spurs were the 1901 finalists and Bolton and West Ham were the 1923 finalists.

Both of those games attracted World Record crowds, so that might be part of it.

Da da, yes. You got it!

They are the teams where over 100,000 people watched a cup final. Villa twice exceeded this in 1905 (against Newcastle) and in 1913 (against Sunderland). Our total was 110,820 against Spurs. Ironically it is the highest attendance to watch a drawn cup final.

Da da, yes. You got it!

They are the teams where over 100,000 people watched a cup final. Villa twice exceeded this in 1905 (against Newcastle) and in 1913 (against Sunderland). Our total was 110,820 against Spurs. Ironically it is the highest attendance to watch a drawn cup final.

Excellent . That is good news and I didn't know we were held in great esteemed company as those other clubs . I thought the answer was they have all at one time been utterly shite and even up until today's date , some still are .

UTB

Da da, yes. You got it!

Wednesday get >100k gates every week. Only last week one poor Wednesday fan couldn't get a ticket for their biggest game this century so had to listen on the radio. They often list these sell outs at ~31k though in order to avoid tax implications.

Wednesday get >100k gates every week. Only last week one poor Wednesday fan couldn't get a ticket for their biggest game this century so had to listen on the radio. They often list these sell outs at ~31k though in order to avoid tax implications.

Don't forget the additional quarter of a million people who have to stand in Hillsborough park and listen to the commentary of the game on loud speakers

but you can't demean them and include them in a magnificent seven (or eight). They quite rightly sit alone as a Massive One!

Da da, yes. You got it!

There would have been more there but a number of Blades were boycotting the game because board member Obidiah McCabe wouldn't sanction spending twenty five guineas on a new right half back spending the money on building more hovels near the ground instead.

Don't forget the additional quarter of a million people who have to stand in Hillsborough park and listen to the commentary of the game on loud speakers

As they flock from Parsons Cross , Foxhill , Wadsley , Loxley , Hillsborough and Upperthorpe. The only one missing is Mark the Pitsmoor Owl who is working due to so many empty houses , allegedly.:D

There would have been more there but a number of Blades were boycotting the game because board member Obidiah McCabe wouldn't sanction spending twenty five guineas on a new right half back spending the money on building more hovels near the ground instead.

25 guineas on a right half back? :eek: The world has gone mad, before you know it someone will be spending 50 guineas (not us obviously) on a player. Ridiculous!

As they flock from Parsons Cross , Foxhill , Wadsley , Loxley , Hillsborough and Upperthorpe. The only one missing is Mark the Pitsmoor Owl who is working due to so many empty houses , allegedly.:D

and don't forget all the residents of Wombwell, Hoyland, Penistone, etc., who have to crowd round a transistor radio

Back
Top Bottom