That was a suprise

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Maybe not the result, and maybe the scoreline was better than expected but the surprising thing from that game was the absolute lack of belief we showed. We set up to lose by as few goals as possible, we never tried to go at them, didn't even try to unsettle them, we just sat off, let them have the ball unchallenged and we rolled over for them. Don't get me wrong, they're streets ahead of us but come on, you can still close players down, get in their face, even dare I say it, try to tackle them. The first goal summed the 90 minutes up, one player (Souza) tried to impose himself, Robinson and Trusty sat back and watched. No ownership, no fight, just sat off and at one nil it's game over.

That was boring, we were boring, we made it a game of attack versus defence and even at 90 minutes we dropped deep, had every player in our half and didn't have the heart or the courage to have a go at them. We looked like we were protecting a 0 - 2 scoreline. That was as inept as any Hecky performance and if we're going to write games off before a ball's been kicked, we may as well have stuck with Heckinbottom.

I like Wilder, I like how he talks us up but sorry mate, action speaks louder than words and lay down, passive acceptance of a two nil defeat like that today won't cut it. Either get the pampered wankers tackling and working or fuck off out the back door again. We know we're shite, but can we at least be shite with a bit more bite about us.
They are inferior and not worthy, and any fool who thinks this mentality is going to suddenly and magically change next year is deluded.
Not many are particular upset about getting relegated, but the whole point of being in the Premier League if you can't stay there is to be too good for the Championship when you go back down. This shower with their fragile confidence, lack of basic footballing ability and 30% fitness levels will struggle to be a mid table Championship club

They are inferior and not worthy, and any fool who thinks this mentality is going to suddenly and magically change next year is deluded.
Not many are particular upset about getting relegated, but the whole point of being in the Premier League if you can't stay there is to be too good for the Championship when you go back down. This shower with their fragile confidence, lack of basic footballing ability and 30% fitness levels will struggle to be a mid table Championship club
Still be a division above Wednesday though

Still be a division above Wednesday though
For now
But basically everything that's wrong with the mentality of everything Sheffield, one slightly worse than the other is good enough if you are the slightly less worse mob.
Bit like Sheffield, a slightly better toilet than Rotherham, so it's okay then.

A tv pundit describe us as Anti-football Wilder tried his usual spin to dismiss the comments.

But listen.. We are awful to watch, boring, this is never how the game should be played..

Anti-Football sums us perfectly I’m afraid.
You have to play anti-football against billion pound teams I’m afraid. Unless, of course, you’re a quarter billion pound team, in which case you might have the ball a faction more.

The issue is the absolutely laughable gap between the haves and the have nots. Outlets like SKY dance around the subject of money. It’s been incredible to listen to them genuinely try to paint Newcastle as an underdog story, missing out that inconvenient part.

By every measure going, the gap that money is creating is widening year on year and making the league a complete non event. If thats what we all agree is right for our national game, cool. I’d personally like to see a much more competitive league, where success can be achieved outside of a billionaire owner.

Until then, we effectively have no chance.

For now
But basically everything that's wrong with the mentality of everything Sheffield, one slightly worse than the other is good enough if you are the slightly less worse mob.
Bit like Sheffield, a slightly better toilet than Rotherham, so it's okay then.
Division higher is a bit more than slightly better

Division higher is a bit more than slightly better
In three months, technically we won't be in a higher division than them, and in five months we actually won't be in a higher division than them.
And in 12 months we'll be behind them,

Save this post if you must, I hope I'm wrong about the 12 month bit, but they will survive this year and be much better equipped than this particular team that is getting relegated who have absolutely nothing about them at all.

In three months, technically we won't be in a higher division than them, and in five months we actually won't be in a higher division than them.

Save this post if you must, I hope I'm wrong about the 12 month bit, but they will survive this year and be much better equipped than this particular team that is getting relegated who have absolutely nothing about them at all.
I've bookmarked it for a later date
Screenshot_20231230_214645_Chrome.jpg

I can’t remember you ever being right on anything, so I’m feeling pretty confident this won’t happen.

Michael brown was at match with warnock today, came on RS after game and said its not easy for anyone to get a result at city. We should be pleased with with the result and learn from our mistakes and that this result will not define our season.
He was probably taking the piss...

You have to play anti-football against billion pound teams I’m afraid. Unless, of course, you’re a quarter billion pound team, in which case you might have the ball a faction more.

The issue is the absolutely laughable gap between the haves and the have nots. Outlets like SKY dance around the subject of money. It’s been incredible to listen to them genuinely try to paint Newcastle as an underdog story, missing out that inconvenient part.

By every measure going, the gap that money is creating is widening year on year and making the league a complete non event. If thats what we all agree is right for our national game, cool. I’d personally like to see a much more competitive league, where success can be achieved outside of a billionaire owner.

Until then, we effectively have no chance.
This is not true. It’s a rubbish mentality. This same comment was being thrown out against chelsea and today luton totally took the game to them and were fantastic. They looked the better team. They didn’t throw the towel in before a ball was kicked.

I don’t expect us to have better possession stats than the oppo but to have some control and show some intent in trying to win the game. Be aggressive, attack, progressive passing, runs or keep the ball for more than a minute.

If we park the bus and give them all the possession they will eventually find a way through and score. They are too good to hold out for 90 mins. We are too shit to score with only 5/10 mins of play. It’s a stupid game plan.

As a fan base we are far too accepting of awful football.

Good post 👍. Only thing I'd say though is I'm not saying open up, not saying go all gung ho but for Gods sake, step up and get challenges in. We don't tackle any more, we don't even pressure them, we just hang off and let them do what they want. Way too passive, where's Trevor Hockey when you need him?
Agree with both these posts to an extent.

We were always looking at a defeat away to City, but …… a team like Crystal Palace can go to the Etihad and win something like twice in the past 5 seasons ? It can be done with a mindset of playing football and not letting the opposition scare you shitless even before a ball is kicked.

As I've said earlier it's not tactical it's confidence
These players can't keep possession or play simple 6 yard passes to feet
So how do you do anything other than set up the way we did ?
The amount of times they bottle it and look for the safe pass and even managed to mess most of those up constantly making hard work for the recipients
Not just confidence, also a lack of passing ability.

Starting from the back our players aren't good in possession. Wes would be better than average ten years ago, but goalkeeper requirements have changed a lot and they are being asked to do so much more these days. When pressed, Baldock, Robinson, Trusty struggle to get rid of the ball, let alone finding a good pass.

Norwood can get on it, but never advances, so it's often either a backwards pass, or a pass to a player who has still his man to beat. Souza shouldn't be asked to do too much, but I maintain that he keeps possession better than people think. Brooks is more of a ball carrier than a good passer.

There are ways to tweak the side, but the important thing for us is to try and threaten despite having little possession. Palace had just 5% possession more than us against City, also just 1 corner and 2 shots on target, but managed a 2-2 draw.

If you watch luton or burnley play they both try and play with the ball waaay more than we do, even against the big boys. We just smash it clear at any chance. Primitive 80s football. In footballing terms we are a long way off even the whipping boys of the league.

Both teams are much better than us sadly and it’s painful. We play like its an FA cup game against a team 2/3 leagues higher.

Out of possession fine, in possession embarrassing.
Burnley and Luton will be playing in the Championship next season anyway

This is not true. It’s a rubbish mentality. This same comment was being thrown out against chelsea and today luton totally took the game to them and were fantastic. They looked the better team. They didn’t throw the towel in before a ball was kicked.

I don’t expect us to have better possession stats than the oppo but to have some control and show some intent in trying to win the game. Be aggressive, attack, progressive passing, runs or keep the ball for more than a minute.

If we park the bus and give them all the possession they will eventually find a way through and score. They are too good to hold out for 90 mins. We are too shit to score with only 5/10 mins of play. It’s a stupid game plan.

As a fan base we are far too accepting of awful football.
Where did I say you throw the towel in? Luton didn’t go toe-to-toe with Chelsea at all, they played exactly how they usually do. Luton’s entire culture is based on what purists would deem ‘anti-football’ I.e. aggressive, direct etc etc. The fact they did better than us against Chelsea is because they are much better at that style than we are. Even still, weren’t they 3-0 down until the last 10? They have an awkward style much like we did in Wilder’s PL season. Once it gets figured out they’ll no doubt plummet like we did.

Besides, none of that really invalidates my point about money one bit. Us and Burnley were streets ahead of anyone in the Championship last year and yet are the whipping boys because we can’t drop £250m just to tread water. It’s shite for the sport as a whole.

Good post 👍. Only thing I'd say though is I'm not saying open up, not saying go all gung ho but for Gods sake, step up and get challenges in. We don't tackle any more, we don't even pressure them, we just hang off and let them do what they want. Way too passive, where's Trevor Hockey when you need him?
There’s no way any team outside the super clubs come away from an away fixture with probably the best team in the world with only a 2-0 defeat without stepping up and putting tackles in.

There's a difference between being gung-ho and probably being destroyed and being defensive but trying to counter attack.
FFS man, pick either
A) 11 men stood on the goal line
B) All up front with Wes on the half way line.

Stopping fucking about with sensible wishy washy, half arsed, middle ground options.

Apart from a handful of teams, like The Arse, Liverpool, etc., (the usual suspects), no team is going to be overly concerned about losing 2-0 to Man City, at their place.

City have some of the best players on the planet in their side, and in Ake, they have a defender who is as fast, if not faster, than most forwards, so even when you break and try to counter, he is on top of you in three strides or less.

The only issue I have is with us giving Rodri so much space for the first goal, but anyone thinking that we would go and get a result in Manchester has had too much Christmas booze.

Sounds like the Prince is ready to push the spending button in January, hope so anyway, let's just get behind the lads and enjoy this short trip to the top table.

What was the better performance in the three matches
played against Manchester City in 2023?

What was the better performance in the three matches
played against Manchester City in 2023?
We were as close to beating them in this game as we have been in any of our premier league games under wilder or hecky
You normally get one or two chances and if you don't take them you only have to make one or two lapses of concentration and its game over
This has been the story every time we've played them
Even on the one occasion where we took our only chance

Good to see Norwood jog around pointlessly second half but pounce on Rodri at the final whistle to get his shirt.

Unsurprisingly Rodri didn't take Olivers shirt.
I think he got Rodri's autograph later.

Back
Top Bottom