That was a suprise

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Maurice Maurice

Reaction score
Maybe not the result, and maybe the scoreline was better than expected but the surprising thing from that game was the absolute lack of belief we showed. We set up to lose by as few goals as possible, we never tried to go at them, didn't even try to unsettle them, we just sat off, let them have the ball unchallenged and we rolled over for them. Don't get me wrong, they're streets ahead of us but come on, you can still close players down, get in their face, even dare I say it, try to tackle them. The first goal summed the 90 minutes up, one player (Souza) tried to impose himself, Robinson and Trusty sat back and watched. No ownership, no fight, just sat off and at one nil it's game over.

That was boring, we were boring, we made it a game of attack versus defence and even at 90 minutes we dropped deep, had every player in our half and didn't have the heart or the courage to have a go at them. We looked like we were protecting a 0 - 2 scoreline. That was as inept as any Hecky performance and if we're going to write games off before a ball's been kicked, we may as well have stuck with Heckinbottom.

I like Wilder, I like how he talks us up but sorry mate, action speaks louder than words and lay down, passive acceptance of a two nil defeat like that today won't cut it. Either get the pampered wankers tackling and working or fuck off out the back door again. We know we're shite, but can we at least be shite with a bit more bite about us.

Watch City play any non top 6 team at home it's no different. Bit better on the ball perhaps, similar amount of chances.

It was far from inept, first half we could've gone in level with the couple of chances we had. It's the best you can hope for when the odds are so stacked against us.

Have a go, lose 4-1 won't feel any fulfilling
Also, the team and Wilder HAVE to be playing for survival and should they actually manage any form of effort one things that's fucking us over is out abysmal goal difference. Concede more against City today and we'd be cursing those goals.

I know so very few on here really don't want to hear it but the club has to see survival, while it's still possible, as a trophy. It's very very doubtful and none of us would be surprised but if we chucked the towel on as quick as the fans have, today would have been way more embarrassing than people already think.

No entertainment, no ambition, no desire, no risk taking, no intent. Nothing.
It was boring for everyone in attendance and a complete waste of time and money.
Cowardice, just plain cowardice.
Wilder can wear this one. Hecky wouldn’t have been any worse.
Personally I’d sooner lose by 4 or 5 and have at least a bit of a go, but no, we just sit there and bore everyone. We are going down anyway so just have a fucking go.

Utb

Dammed if you do against City, it's always such a tough ask when we lack so much quality.

The main problem was a lack of belief in themselves and an unwillingness to get on the ball and be brave at times - Trusty, Norwood, Thomas and Baldock never once looked up with the ball and usually opted for turning the ball down into the channels. In fact there was only really two or three players prepared to get their foot on it. You aren't getting anything from City when that's your bar I'm afraid.

I'm far from despondent as it was 100% expected. We can't compete with City really but I'd have liked to have seen us play a bit more in certain areas. In many respects it was Hecky-ball with the players looking scared to death in possession.

Roll on January and an opportunity to get on the training pitch and hopefully get some fresh faces through the door.

Can’t wait to be back in the Championship. Hopefully all debts are cleared and we enjoy 4-5 years in the championship before having another go in the top league.

I think we did well. Apart from the sloppy first goal, we pretty much contained the world's best team and had a few decent chances of our own. Just look at their starting lineup compared to ours.

The fact that our players were still running their socks off in injury time is encouraging

No entertainment, no ambition, no desire, no risk taking, no intent. Nothing.
It was boring for everyone in attendance and a complete waste of time and money.
Cowardice, just plain cowardice.
Wilder can wear this one. Hecky wouldn’t have been any worse.
Personally I’d sooner lose by 4 or 5 and have at least a bit of a go, but no, we just sit there and bore everyone. We are going down anyway so just have a fucking go.

Utb
Change 4 or 5 to 10 or 15 and it'd be more accurate. Disagree, would rather the 2-0.

I can see people having a dig at us after the Luton defeat. Completely understandable, we defended terribly. But what do you expect today? McBurnie didn’t come on as he’s clearly injured.

We are missing Hamer, McAtee, Anel, Egan from the best possible starting team.

Hecky & the recruitment team signed a load of shite in the summer. Osula who was a squad player for Derby last season is miles ahead of Traore who we was our biggest spend & player we wanted all summer until we sold NDiaye / Berge.

Brooks who’s still developing & only played a handful of first team games.

Today’s squad was mid table championship vs the world champions. I’m pretty pleased it wasn’t a cricket score.

Give it a rest ffs.

Maybe not the result, and maybe the scoreline was better than expected but the surprising thing from that game was the absolute lack of belief we showed. We set up to lose by as few goals as possible, we never tried to go at them, didn't even try to unsettle them, we just sat off, let them have the ball unchallenged and we rolled over for them. Don't get me wrong, they're streets ahead of us but come on, you can still close players down, get in their face, even dare I say it, try to tackle them. The first goal summed the 90 minutes up, one player (Souza) tried to impose himself, Robinson and Trusty sat back and watched. No ownership, no fight, just sat off and at one nil it's game over.

That was boring, we were boring, we made it a game of attack versus defence and even at 90 minutes we dropped deep, had every player in our half and didn't have the heart or the courage to have a go at them. We looked like we were protecting a 0 - 2 scoreline. That was as inept as any Hecky performance and if we're going to write games off before a ball's been kicked, we may as well have stuck with Heckinbottom.

I like Wilder, I like how he talks us up but sorry mate, action speaks louder than words and lay down, passive acceptance of a two nil defeat like that today won't cut it. Either get the pampered wankers tackling and working or fuck off out the back door again. We know we're shite, but can we at least be shite with a bit more bite about us.
Think i do agree with you. I wish we’d go and have a go at these teams a bit more, you can’t expect to defend against their quality with the aim of having a go in the last ten minutes. It’s too late once we’re 1,2 or 3 nil down.

Give them something to think about as well. At the moment it’s a bit embarrassing the way we sit back.

We’re in the Premier League on merit and should act like we belong.

If you watch luton or burnley play they both try and play with the ball waaay more than we do, even against the big boys. We just smash it clear at any chance. Primitive 80s football. In footballing terms we are a long way off even the whipping boys of the league.

Both teams are much better than us sadly and it’s painful. We play like its an FA cup game against a team 2/3 leagues higher.

Out of possession fine, in possession embarrassing.

Think i do agree with you. I wish we’d go and have a go at these teams a bit more, you can’t expect to defend against their quality with the aim of having a go in the last ten minutes. It’s too late once we’re 1,2 or 3 nil down.

Give them something to think about as well. At the moment it’s a bit embarrassing the way we sit back.
In the home games I feel we’ve been braver under Wilder. Away games - Villa we nearly won, Chelsea/ today they just have a lot more quality than we do.

I don’t think some people take into content how bad our squad currently is. We have two academy players starting who should be on loan somewhere.

The summer was terrible for recruitment probably the worst I’ve known since we got back to the premier league in 19/20, I actually think we recruited better in the championship albeit mostly on loans.

The only reason it’s not had more stick is because we’ve not pissed away millions like we did on Brewster/ Ramsdale etc in 20/21. At least we got out money back from one of them!

Our championship team would beat todays 11.

Whilst I get the frustration in not opening up and having a go at them (as that is how I would nearly always want us to play the game) there are times that circumstances dictate that you cannot do that and you contain and manage damage limitation. This United side, this season, if it opens up against City we would get hammered and it could end up being a cricket score. The confidence in the side is on the floor at the moment as well, the last thing we need is to get another hiding score wise as that's hardly going to get our players feeling better about themselves. Remember this side had 5 out last them down the road at Burnley just over a month ago and that could have been a lot more that day too. I see no positive in going looking for yet another heavy defeat.

Take the defeat, know we were timid, but move on, get the players training hard with the new management team and learning how to defend and attack as a unit again. Get some players back who were suspended or only just back from injury. Also, hopefully we will have a few players in and some of the dross out of the door and we will have a fresher team to go til the end of the season.

I expected absolutely fuck all today from United. I just hoped we would keep the score down and not get embarrassed. We achieved that. We lost to the best team in the world and didn't shit ourselves in front of the footballing world. I'm actually just happy it's out of the way. Now, Mr Wilder. Get wheeling and dealing in the transfer window, get some lads in and get some out the door. Get us playing for pride in the red n white shirt again.

Last edited:

I understand the emotion and if we continue to play like that against all teams I would agree with you, but he has not had chance to change personnel nor have time to work with the squad.
If it is like that against WHU then we can all give up, so let’s see.

Whilst I get the frustration in not opening up and having a go at them (as that is how I would nearly always want us to play the game) there are times that circumstances dictate that you cannot do that and you contain and manage damage limitation. This United side, this season opens up against City, we would get hammered and could end up being a cricket score. The confidence in the side is in the floor ATM anyway, the last thing we need is to get another hiding score wise.

Take the defeat, know we were timid, but move on, get the players training hard with the nee management team and learning how to defend and attack as a unit again, and get some players back who were suspended or only just back from injury. Also, hopefully we will have a few players in and some of the dross out of the door and we will have a fresher team to go til the end of the season.

I expected absolutely fuck all today from United. I just hoped we would keep the score down and not get embarrassed. We achieved that. We lost to the best team in the world and didn't shit ourselves in front of the footballing world. I'm actually just happy it's out of the way. Now, Mr Wilder. Get wheeling and dealing in the transfer window, get some lads in and get some out the door. Get us playing for pride in the red n white shirt again.
Good post, spot on mate

I can see people having a dig at us after the Luton defeat. Completely understandable, we defended terribly. But what do you expect today? McBurnie didn’t come on as he’s clearly injured.

We are missing Hamer, McAtee, Anel, Egan from the best possible starting team.

Hecky & the recruitment team signed a load of shite in the summer. Osula who was a squad player for Derby last season is miles ahead of Traore who we was our biggest spend & player we wanted all summer until we sold NDiaye / Berge.

Brooks who’s still developing & only played a handful of first team games.

Today’s squad was mid table championship vs the world champions. I’m pretty pleased it wasn’t a cricket score.

Give it a rest ffs.

You're pleased it wasn't a cricket score, and therein lies the problem. We're content because we packed the defence for 93 minutes and came away happy with a defeat. Points are what's needed, we're already out of the goal difference league so get nasty, rile them a bit, try and so something other than sit in our own half, watching them lass the ball around for 5 minutes at a time.

On a separate note, I honestly take my hat off to every single fan who's still going to these games and making some noise, yes I'd be doing it if I was back home but in recent weeks, despite the dross, I have nothing but respect for every single one of them.

Back
Top Bottom