Ball Sup Blog... SUFC Academy U21 v Crewe Alexandra (h)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Marsh was excellent and substituted early. 2 of the 17 year olds (One and Dovy) look very good prospects and, despite the criticism I seem to see of him on here, Curtis impressed me again.
After Archers shit show on Saturday I wonder if Marsh may get an opportunity against Everton? Jebbo Mark 2 !

Marsh was excellent and substituted early. 2 of the 17 year olds (One and Dovy) look very good prospects and, despite the criticism I seem to see of him on here, Curtis impressed me again.

Curtis is not very quick and isn't that athletic. He is OK on the ball but not exceptional. Puts in a decent crowd and likes getting forward.

I think he's a long way off even Championship standard. I am just concerned that without that burst of pace or the physical attributes, you have to be very good technically. He's OK but those who think he'll be close to the first team I think would get a shock if he played at that level.

He's still time to develop but I don't see a high ceiling for him based on the 5 or 6 games I've seen.

Curtis is not very quick and isn't that athletic. He is OK on the ball but not exceptional. Puts in a decent crowd and likes getting forward.

I think he's a long way off even Championship standard. I am just concerned that without that burst of pace or the physical attributes, you have to be very good technically. He's OK but those who think he'll be close to the first team I think would get a shock if he played at that level.

He's still time to develop but I don't see a high ceiling for him based on the 5 or 6 games I've seen.
Curtis and One are both eligible for the U18s. I haven’t watched every minute of their games but I find the criticism of them baffling.
Both look strong for their ages and confident in their abilities. I don’t recall anyone claiming that Curtis is currently Championship standard but he is training with the first team and is regularly on the bench in the League above (ahead of Sachdev who is a year older and has been with us for much longer).
He’s an 18 year old kid who has just moved to a different country.

I disagree, I think he’s an excellent prospect. Regardless if he has a man on him any ball fired into him even under pressure he deals with it with ease, very good in possession, running with the ball etc.. and all around very good technically. I also think he is athletic enough as he gets up and down the field constantly and with ease, he was basically playing right winger today as there was very little defending to do. I can’t comment on his pace as I’ve not really seen it put to the test in the games I’ve watched, him back in the right back spot with a really quick winger would show that but I’ve not seen it yet so not sure how fast he is, doesn’t look to slow though for a full back tbh.

That being said I’m talking about a 18 year old lad who should be playing for the U18s but is well ahead of his age group. I’m am not saying he is ready for championship football now or next season but I can really see him breaking though and being our right back within 2 years though if he keeps progressing like he is.

Any news on some of the lads that were missing.. Easton.. Peck.. Macedo?

I think the assumption is Chesterfield will NOT want the U21s playing there next season.
So, we're possibly back on the mad merry go 'round to find a ground to play on next season.

Reminder - we used York City in a previous non Chesterfield season. And we've used both Scunthorpe United and Alfreton Town on an as necessary basis in recent seasons.

For all the talk of Dore, Shirecliffe and a Category 1 Academy, worth a gentle reminder we haven't got a place for the Academy U21s to play consistently...

I think the assumption is Chesterfield will NOT want the U21s playing there next season.
So, we're possibly back on the mad merry go 'round to find a ground to play on next season.

Reminder - we used York City in a previous non Chesterfield season. And we've used both Scunthorpe United and Alfreton Town on an as necessary basis in recent seasons.

For all the talk of Dore, Shirecliffe and a Category 1 Academy, worth a gentle reminder we haven't got a place for the Academy U21s to play consistently...

My mate is a Chesterfield fan and has said the amount of games has knackered the pitch (was a complete mess today - bobbling around all over) so expect us to be on the move again.

Dore is not going to be ready for at least 18-24 months you would not think. The entire pitches need redoing a new building needs completing - that is before any gym/swimming pool type facilities that many at this level have. That means we aren't going to get Cat 1 for at least 2 seasons you would not think.

Curtis and One are both eligible for the U18s. I haven’t watched every minute of their games but I find the criticism of them baffling.
Both look strong for their ages and confident in their abilities. I don’t recall anyone claiming that Curtis is currently Championship standard but he is training with the first team and is regularly on the bench in the League above (ahead of Sachdev who is a year older and has been with us for much longer).
He’s an 18 year old kid who has just moved to a different country.

We will agree to disagree. I've watched most of Curtis' games and not sure I see anything that makes me sit up and notice him - did score a decent goal today mind. As I say you need to have outstanding technical, athletic or pace attributes to stand out and make it from academy to pro level. He is only 18 as you say but those qualities are often either there or they are not.

I would go as far as to say Seriki looked a better prospect at respective ages.

Of course he has not pushed on and struggled at Rochdale and now can't get time at Rotherham but that is to say Curtis will not develop. Hope I am wrong but when I saw all the hype about him, I expected him to really stand out at this poor level and not sure he has. Just my opinion from what I have seen. As I say I hope I am wrong.

The players that stood out to me today were Marsh, Sasnauskas and One - although the latter is still very raw but has attributes that can be really built upon.

Crewe had a number of 16 and 17 year olds playing today so hard to really properly gauge how good anyone was from today. It was a total mismatch really.

Last edited:
My mate is a Chesterfield fan and has said the amount of games has knackered the pitch (was a complete mess today - bobbling around all over) so expect us to be on the move again.

Dore is not going to be ready for at least 18-24 months you would not think. The entire pitches need redoing a new building needs completing - that is before any gym/swimming pool type facilities that many at this level have. That means we aren't going to get Cat 1 for at least 2 seasons you would not think.
My understanding is most Cat 1 U21 Academies play at a combination of the main ground, the Academy AND a local ground. We continue to struggle for a quality local ground to play on.

Any news on some of the lads that were missing.. Easton.. Peck.. Macedo?
Easton was there watching from the stands and is in the picture celebrating the league win didn’t look like he was having much difficulty getting about so hopefully whatever’s kept him out is only a minor injury

My understanding is most Cat 1 U21 Academies play at a combination of the main ground, the Academy AND a local ground. We continue to struggle for a quality local ground to play on.

Is the new Sheffield FC ground going to have grass or an artificial pitch? If it was the former then would it fit the bill? Mind you could be 5 years + before that ever gets build - if at all.

Is the new Sheffield FC ground going to have grass or an artificial pitch? If it was the former then would it fit the bill? Mind you could be 5 years + before that ever gets build - if at all.
(Remembering I'm a Hallam Season Ticket holder. And I'm currently leading an anonymous letter writing campaign purporting to be from local residents objecting to the Sheffield FC plans)

The latest Sheffield FC Artists Impression Never To Be Built Ground has a Grass pitch.

I'm sure they still want you to "send money" because they're the World's First...

We will agree to disagree. I've watched most of Curtis' games and not sure I see anything that makes me sit up and notice him - did score a decent goal today mind. As I say you need to have outstanding technical, athletic or pace attributes to stand out and make it from academy to pro level. He is only 18 as you say but those qualities are often either there or they are not.

I would go as far as to say Seriki looked a better prospect at respective ages.

Of course he has not pushed on and struggled at Rochdale and now can't get time at Rotherham but that is to say Curtis will not develop. Hope I am wrong but when I saw all the hype about him, I expected him to really stand out at this poor level and not sure he has. Just my opinion from what I have seen. As I say I hope I am wrong.

The players that stood out to me today were Marsh, Sasnauskas and One - although the latter is still very raw but has attributes that can be really built upon.

Crewe had a number of 16 and 17 year olds playing today so hard to really properly gauge how good anyone was from today. It was a total mismatch really.
I agree with your view Deadbat, I expected so much more from Curtis based on the hype
Not saying he wont progress by any means but he has a lot to improve on
Better today, but Crewe were the weakest U21 side we've played by some way.
Nowhere near the first team as it stands for me.

When Maguire was in our first team I can still recall a friend saying he would never play in the Premier League and he was soon nicknamed "Old Lead Boots".
We certainly have a different fanbase to the club in South Barnsley. 😁

but when I saw all the hype about him, I expected him to really stand out at this poor level and not sure he has.
I agree with your view Deadbat, I expected so much more from Curtis based on the hype
As there seem to be plenty who have been impressed with him, is it possible that you two got a little carried away with the hype?

As there seem to be plenty who have been impressed with him, is it possible that you two got a little carried away with the hype?
Yes, maybe i expected too much.
Hes steady, but his lack of pace surprised me, plus he isnt a natural going forward for me
Obviously he will improve as he goes along, would love to see him a consistent player in our first team.

I had heard he was one of the hottest young prospects in Ireland and we fought off several clubs to sign him. We had Hal and Jimmy Ramble doing videos about him and the transfer was seen as a real coup.

Maybe that is hype but can't recall some of the others we have signed from other clubs such as Easton or Hampson getting the same level of attention. He was playing for a first team albeit only in Ireland and in their countries u21 squad too.

Most of those I've communicated with having seen him at u21 level have felt the same as me - that he's been a bit underwhelming. So far.

I'm not saying he won't make it or he will. It's very early but just assessing what I've seen in the games.

I had heard he was one of the hottest young prospects in Ireland and we fought off several clubs to sign him. We had Hal and Jimmy Ramble doing videos about him and the transfer was seen as a real coup.

Maybe that is hype but can't recall some of the others we have signed from other clubs such as Easton or Hampson getting the same level of attention. He was playing for a first team albeit only in Ireland and in their countries u21 squad too.

Most of those I've communicated with having seen him at u21 level have felt the same as me - that he's been a bit underwhelming. So far.

I'm not saying he won't make it or he will. It's very early but just assessing what I've seen in the games.
I also thought he looked very ordinary in his first few games, but he has improved the last couple of months. He does seem more like a full back than a wing back and I agree it's a bit difficult to assess his potential. He and Sachdev roam around a bit, even stepping into midfield which is something a few teams are doing (e.g Zinchenko, Alexander-Arnold)

Look at it from Curtis's point of view!
Had 2 great years in Irish football and been raved about.Comes here all excited thinking he is close to prem Football,after a few weeks settling in he is in the development squad playing in empty stadiums!
Not saying he should be higher up the pecking order
Just looking at it from another angle.
He will have been brought down to earth with a bang even if he was told( he would surely have been told) this is how its going to be.Would I think need time to get his head round all that when he was supposed to be the next big thing.
He must have something to be playing at the level he was as an 18 year old, he has to get his head down now and work at his game as all 18 year old need to do.Living away from home ,new country big changes for a lad to get his head round .

Look at it from Curtis's point of view!
Had 2 great years in Irish football and been raved about.Comes here all excited thinking he is close to prem Football
He couldn't be much closer sat on the bench every week 😁

I'm with Deadbat on this one. Curtis looks like he could have potential but he'll need a loan move first. He's a steady player but not the stand out in the development team. Right now Marsh and Peck are the likeliest to get some senior football in pre-season followed by One.

Marsh and One both impress me. Marsh has a very good footballing brain and can see passes that others can't and has the selfishness to go for goal early, often catching keepers off guard as a result.

One is the potential modern footballer, a tall, quick, strong footballer who can tear teams apart with his pace, making him a stand out in the development team after Osula.

Sorry but someone named their child Pharell Williams and no one has mentioned this

I'm with Deadbat on this one. Curtis looks like he could have potential but he'll need a loan move first. He's a steady player but not the stand out in the development team. Right now Marsh and Peck are the likeliest to get some senior football in pre-season followed by One.

Marsh and One both impress me. Marsh has a very good footballing brain and can see passes that others can't and has the selfishness to go for goal early, often catching keepers off guard as a result.

One is the potential modern footballer, a tall, quick, strong footballer who can tear teams apart with his pace, making him a stand out in the development team after Osula.
Tbf no one is saying he is the stand out player in that side. What some on here have said is they are impressed with him, he’s heading the right way and I’m sure our staff are more than happy with his early progression since making the move. He will make the 1st without a doubt but may take a couple of years who knows, but because he’s not taking the piss right some put a dampener on him and can’t see the player that is there and going to be there in the future. A very good prospect as are many in that side.

Back
Top Bottom