steve cotterill

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He has been "fantastic" this season, if not always so in other seasons. Not many are fantastic, year after year. Some managers seem to suit certain clubs and will arrive at a club at the right time, a good time, or the wrong time. Moyes following Sir Alex? Wrong time, for a good manager. Or wrong club!

Cotterill arrived here when we could hardly have sunk any lower. Then last summer four highly paid players from our Champ relegation team, their contracts ran out and were finally released, freeing up a lot of wages. And getting rid of the loser, sitting in the stand and picking up me money for nowt, piss poor mentality out of the club.

Cotterill was able to make a fresh start and he's made a good job of it. So, good timing. And this is one of a few clubs out of the 92 where the way he speaks doesn't make people automatically cringe and think he is a thick bumpkin who doesn't know what he's doing. Having said that, his Gloucestershire accent makes my skin crawl, I'm a Somerset lad see...

The last thing I would say is do not underestimate his achievement of winning a league at this club. The last time we managed this was 60 years ago. This is the south of England. The south WEST of England. The mentality here is very negative, pessimistic, fearful, fearing the worst, a bit "backward" (in football terms, certainly) and small fry. And not all that bothered by local football, really. We have had managers before with favourable budgets and other advantages and they have made a mess of it, at worst, or come second, at best. Having money and advantages over your rivals brings with it pressure and expectation (from those that are bothered). Many would-be managers fail to cope with this. Most here do. We have a history of making a proper mess of things.

Cotterill has been the heartbeat of an outstanding season. We were still going for it in added time on Sunday, at 7:2 up, and scored an eigth. That is down to Cotterill. He might fail miserably next season, we'll have to wait and see, but from last summer to this, he has done a "fantastic" job

The summary of your post to me , is that some managers learn from there mistakes , and others don't.

UTB

Not sure why this thread has been revived. Cotterill's sacking only confirms to me just how far we have sunk.

We are floundering in League 1 and then when we do go up there's a mountain to climb just to survive.

Once we've done that, like Wednesday, we can start to think about getting to the Premiership one day.

That's the very reason I have gone on and on about making the most of the time in League 1 to get a strong, hungry, mobile, pacey squad together; one that thinks it can conquer the world!!

Looking at Oxford last night and last weekend I think they are doing just that in League 2. That's the kind of renaissance I dream about and we never seem to be able to get any pattern or rhythm together.

As my BCFC mate told me recently, any manager could have got them up last season given the money available. He reckons Cotterill is overrated

Oxford were fantastic last night BTW. Appleton's doing a great job.

As my BCFC mate told me recently, any manager could have got them up last season given the money available. He reckons Cotterill is overrated

Oxford were fantastic last night BTW. Appleton's doing a great job.

I've not heard of any FFP fine for them, was there one?

I could have got the side they had last year promoted

That's why it's so important to have good quality recruitment... Oh wait...

I've not heard of any FFP fine for them, was there one?
Why would there have been? L1 falls under SCMP which allows the owners to invest money in the club which is then counted as turnover.

Why would there have been? L1 falls under SCMP which allows the owners to invest money in the club which is then counted as turnover.

Exactly this. 60% of a fucking large amount is still an excellent budget. It's just that our "fucking large amount" is decided by the Prince & McCabe - make of that what you will...........

Their owner is a billionaire. He can definitely afford to sub them for the extra millions that make the difference in L1.

Exactly what he did in the summer before and the JTW.

I also thought he'd be dispensing with Cotterrill. They have a chance now to kick on if they appoint the right person.

Their owner is a billionaire. He can definitely afford to sub them for the extra millions that make the difference in L1.

Exactly what he did in the summer before and the JTW.

I also thought he'd be dispensing with Cotterrill. They have a chance now to kick on if they appoint the right person.

FFP my friend. Just wait till the police turn up and try not to explain how Bristol City were exempt or some similar excuse.

FFP my friend. Just wait till the police turn up and try not to explain how Bristol City were exempt or some similar excuse.
Again, anyone can increase the wage bill above 60% of "normal" turnover with Equity investment.

This is a one off injection ie it can't be a loan.

How do you think Bournemouth and Brentford got promoted ?

Both backed by billionaires.

McCabe and the Prince are wealthy obviously but not billionaires. They will not inject equity investment on an annual basis - they are already funding club losses.

Was it Harry Redknapp who said 'we managed to find the only Sheik who doesn't have an oil well at the bottom of his garden'?

Cotteril has the magic touch, look how this system is powering them 4 points ahead of the field in the championship

hes identified the players and they are keeping clean sheets

what a pile of crap
Its like saying Warnock had got it all right after we got promoted to the prem

but
the next steps the really important bit
writing articles on your magic formula lasts about a month

Again, anyone can increase the wage bill above 60% of "normal" turnover with Equity investment.

This is a one off injection ie it can't be a loan.

How do you think Bournemouth and Brentford got promoted ?

Both backed by billionaires.

McCabe and the Prince are wealthy obviously but not billionaires. They will not inject equity investment on an annual basis - they are already funding club losses.
They also did it under the radar United blade, they are small clubs with low expectation from the fans ,which gave these wealthy men tthe opportunity to build quickly from a low point, We are a different animal altogether ,the pressure on the blades after relegation has mounted each year after failure and to say the club hasn't supported each failing manager is out of order.Choice of manager or maybe not giving them time to complete the job is the problem.To lose the kind of money we are each year is unsustainable (the wealthy men who are supporting Bournemouth, Brentford and the like would not do it if promotion was not obtained) we now have a manager who in my opinion knows what is needed but needs the time, previouse managers for whatever reason were sacked.
Could hardly contain my anger listening to daniel and one or two others blasting Adkins for signing Hammond (football heaven),to a man they all think Adkins is the right man for the job,but trashed his signing of Hammond.
Now Adkins has hung his hat on this player do we know football better than a manager who has been in the game at all levels since he was a boy? obviously not.He didn't make a great impact but is he that kind of player?not in my opinion.He has had cameos in the premier league (Southampton, leicester)but is at best a good championship player as a destroyer.He's compared with Doyle and Monty ,monty is more his style as he wasn't fully appreciated until he'd gone.mistake ing him for a premiership player is probably where most are getting it wrong so just accepting him as a very experienced pro who has proven to be a winner recently is where we all should be and as stated earlier Adkins believes in him ,do we believe in the manager? Big yes from me.

Funny, I hear a lot of shit about FFP but I haven't actually seen one club suffer at the hands of it. It appears to be that they tell you off and you just keep doing whatever you want.

My thoughts exactly!

Funny, I hear a lot of shit about FFP but I haven't actually seen one club suffer at the hands of it. It appears to be that they tell you off and you just keep doing whatever you want.
Swindon had a transfer ban under SCMP for a short period but had it removed after an equity injection from the then owner.

I can't think of others off the top of my head.

Except it's not FFP in League One.

Swindon had a transfer ban under SCMP for a short period but had it removed after an equity injection from the then owner.

Because the difference in League one is clubs have to provide a budget and then actuals. Will explain further when not pissed and typing on phone.

Wow. that must have made them jump into line :)

Because the difference in League one is clubs have to provide a budget and then actuals. Will explain further when not pissed and typing on phone.
I know. I was giving the only example I know of where a club has exceeded the threshold and had a sanction.

What are you drinking, anything good ;)

Forest have been under embargo for 18 months for going over the FFP limits by wasting money on crap overpaid journeymen and paying off a succession of sacked managers who were given 3 year contracts!

Back to Cotterill... This little episode last weekend wouldnt have helped his cause lol

Didnt qpr get fined 50 million spondoolies

Didnt qpr get fined 50 million spondoolies

Think they were threatened with having to go to bed with no tea but I don't actually think anything came of it.

Back
Top Bottom