Sander Poll

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What would you choose for January

• Total voters

Champagneblade

Reaction score
Here's the scene:

If we get around the negotiating table and someone agrees to give 35m, then there is no poll. We'd have to accept and he'll be gone.

So, suppose we get offered less than this, but a reasonable amount on what we purchased, let's say initial bids come in at what we paid and we got them up to 30m (this avoids the debate of I'd sell for 30m but not for 25m). Sander has 18 months left, unless there is a further 12 month trigger there somewhere, and he'll by definition have just a year left on his deal come season's end, potentially impacting his value well below 30m and possibly at a loss to his purchase price.

Suppose Hecky is allowed to find a replacement within reason. He's not going to spend 30m on a replacement, I doubt 30m players would drop to this level, but he can replace adequately so take away the 'same owd, same owd' idea that the club pockets the lot and undermines the manager. He'll then have a player that is contracted to the club for some time and isn't a potential issue for the summer to resolve.

Or

Do we see this as unnecessarily rocking of the boat and despite the potential loss on his future sale we just take the stance that we don't want the squad impacting, the shutters come down, we are accepting no bids in January and that's the end of it.

Really curious what people think as I found myself not as clear on what to do when commenting on the rumour mill thread. Maybe you can help make up my mind😉

If we had a couple of great replacements lined up I'd probably sell but I doubt we do. If Kone was to be one replacing him his world cup suggests to me we don't have anyone near his quality lined up.

Also nobody is going to pay 30 million for him. Maybe if we were in the premier league they would.

Here's the scene:

If we get around the negotiating table and someone agrees to give 35m, then there is no poll. We'd have to accept and he'll be gone.

So, suppose we get offered less than this, but a reasonable amount on what we purchased, let's say initial bids come in at what we paid and we got them up to 30m (this avoids the debate of I'd sell for 30m but not for 25m). Sander has 18 months left, unless there is a further 12 month trigger there somewhere, and he'll by definition have just a year left on his deal come season's end, potentially impacting his value well below 30m and possibly at a loss to his purchase price.

Suppose Hecky is allowed to find a replacement within reason. He's not going to spend 30m on a replacement, I doubt 30m players would drop to this level, but he can replace adequately so take away the 'same owd, same owd' idea that the club pockets the lot and undermines the manager. He'll then have a player that is contracted to the club for some time and isn't a potential issue for the summer to resolve.

Or

Do we see this as unnecessarily rocking of the boat and despite the potential loss on his future sale we just take the stance that we don't want the squad impacting, the shutters come down, we are accepting no bids in January and that's the end of it.

Really curious what people think as I found myself not as clear on what to do when commenting on the rumour mill thread. Maybe you can help make up my mind😉
Are we basing the £30m valuation on his cameo yesterday ?

Berge is a good player, no doubt, but have we missed him when he's been injured?
I don't think so.
If we were in a 'money no object' scenario then I for one would like to keep him and build a team around him and Ndiaye, bringing in some new talent and blooding some of the young talent we have in the U21's (or those out on loan, who I think we'll have to use next season anyway if we're not promoted).
Unfortunately I think he, along with Ndiaye, will be gone before the start of next season when those inevitable bids comes in!
Whatever happens, next season is a key period for the Blades and whatever league we're in it will need to be a progressive rebuild period as too many current players are close to their use by date!

I know there is a long way to go, but a decent points gap is starting to build. While Sander can be frustrating at times, we all know he is (on his day) one of the best players in this league, along with Ndiaye. Keeping those two fit and motivated is the key to getting to the finish line, at least in my opinion.

1670750650290.png

I know there is a long way to go, but a decent points gap is starting to build. While Sander can be frustrating at times, we all know he is (on his day) one of the best players in this league, along with Ndiaye. Keeping those two fit and motivated is the key to getting to the finish line, at least in my opinion.

View attachment 149133
As an aside…isn’t it mad that Blackburn have gone nearly half a season without a single draw?

As an aside…isn’t it mad that Blackburn have gone nearly half a season without a single draw?

Yeah, and interesting to see Preston, Boro, and Coventry start to steam up the table. Very interesting second half of the season ahead.

Most people prefer promotion parties to having money in the bank, but finishing 5th
I'd prefer to sell Sander and spend half the money bringing in 2 players who would make promotion more likely.

I'd prefer to sell Sander and spend half the money bringing in 2 players who would make promotion more likely.
Which two players would that be ?
Bearing in mind its notoriously difficult signing players in January unless you are willing to pay well over the odds.

I can understand that point of view, but how often when we sign players do they make an immediate impact? I can only think of MGW recently that has come in and not taken 6 months to a year to start having an effect. Our system works for us, but it seems to take an age for new signings to figure out their role and start playing their best football

A team gunning for promotion does not sell it's best players. It's really that simple.

That's how I see it. The offers will still be there in the Summer.

The value may drop slightly given the contract duration dropping, but it also provides another 4/5 months for them to show outstanding form to recover that difference. Berge has missed most of this season, his value isn't at its peak.

We have to speculate to accumulate in our position. We're six points clear with significantly better goal difference than the competition.
But they (Middlesbrough, Watford, Burnley Norwich..) have cash to spend in January to close the gap.
If we're not going to spend money then we at least can't help them out by losing our best players.

We just can't sell in the January window.

I can understand that point of view, but how often when we sign players do they make an immediate impact? I can only think of MGW recently that has come in and not taken 6 months to a year to start having an effect. Our system works for us, but it seems to take an age for new signings to figure out their role and start playing their best football
Fair comment. I just think that £30 million is a must take. If we don't go up, then maybe by Ndiaye otherwise (albeit that may happen regardless). He'll have less than a year left in summer and we'll be lucky to get double figure millions then. There's also a huge question mark over his injuries. If we could get a good Championship energetic CM and a tall striker to give McBurnie support, then I think we're better placed.

That's how I see it. The offers will still be there in the Summer.

The value may drop slightly given the contract duration dropping, but it also provides another 4/5 months for them to show outstanding form to recover that difference. Berge has missed most of this season, his value isn't at its peak.

We have to speculate to accumulate in our position. We're six points clear with significantly better goal difference than the competition.
But they (Middlesbrough, Watford, Burnley Norwich..) have cash to spend in January to close the gap.
If we're not going to spend money then we at least can't help them out by losing our best players.

We just can't sell in the January window.
I see your point but his value will plummet in summer as he'll only have a year left. If we don't go up, then we'll be in trouble. Have to sell him for whatever we can get. I just don't think he has that much impact on enough games to warrant not taking £20 million, let alone £30 million. If he gets a serious injury again then he's going for nothing at the end of his contract.

Which two players would that be ?
Bearing in mind its notoriously difficult signing players in January unless you are willing to pay well over the odds.
Are you telling me a good Championship energetic CM and a tall striker wouldn't have more impact than a guy who infrequently impacts games? We're desperately shot in those departments. Playing Sander is taking McAtee out, who is doing ok. I'd rather keep him and bring more in, but that seems unlikely. The question was take £30 million or keep him. I can't believe anyone would keep him in that scenario given the impact he's had in 3 years at the club.

Back
Top Bottom