Pre-Season 2023/24 Rotherham United v Sheffield United - 25th July 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This game worries me for next season. Lots of hoofing. Poor on the ball. No compsure etc They look much sharper.

Lets hope we make improvements before the seasons starts.

I wouldn’t use this game as an indication of how we will perform. It’s a training game for fitness/sharpness.
I find it really hard not to read into them. I know i will be disappointed but can’t help but watch. My own worst enemy!

First half thoughts

4-2-3-1 doesn't work the players looked strangers for the first 30 minutes.
Norwood too many fouls and poor passes then gets clattered by his own player.
Osborn just not in the game.
Lucky Rotherham goal but with a two at the back in the middle they are winning everything in the air from throw ins.
Neal and Brooks showing up more experienced players in the middle. Especially Brooks being played out of position.
Jebbinson unlucky with good header.
Larouchi good crosser of a ball.

it’s a friendly so therefore take nothing from this other than what kind of player larouci is

First half thoughts

4-2-3-1 doesn't work the players looked strangers for the first 30 minutes.
Norwood too many fouls and poor passes then gets clattered by his own player.
Osborn just not in the game.
Lucky Rotherham goal but with a two at the back in the middle they are winning everything in the air from throw ins.
Neal and Brooks showing up more experienced players in the middle. Especially Brooks being played out of position.
Jebbinson unlucky with good header.
Larouchi good crosser of a ball.
Good analysis.

Larouci can cross...the rest...a work in progress
First impressions, I just think he’s nervous. Some dodgy positioning as a result of ball watching/headless chasing. Some poor passes. Looks unfit.

On the plus side, fitness will come, confidence will come once he settles in with his team mates. Can’t be easy coming from abroad settling in as a young man. He looks like he has a dangerous turn of pace and delivery in his locker.

Reactions: RWE
I like the new formation but we don't have the players to make it work today. We're way too lethargic in attack, constantly slowing down our own play. Way too many players turning their backs to Rotherham's goal as soon as they receive the ball with the first thought to pass back, under little to no pressure. Too many players looking rusty with awful first touches and no control, or running straight into players because they don't look up. We need some urgency and meaning in our play, something we saw only in the last 5 minutes where we finally looked like a threat. We've made this way too easy for Rotherham who were by far the better side and most likely to score.

Some of these problems are because it's pre-season with a new formation. The passing backwards is something we often did last season and it is so frustrating to watch. What is the point in keeping the ball and dominating possession if you dobabsolutely f*** all of meaning or purpose with it? We actually started to look better when Norwood went off as play started moving forwards and down the widths.

On the plus side Brooks, Neal and Larouci have been good. There was nothing Wes could do about the goal, it was a freak fluke. Thank God this is only pre-season with a makeshift side as that first half was crap and a dullfest to watch.

Only watched the last 15 minutes so not sure how the rest of the game went, but echoing what one or two others have said about our ball retention being poor. Struggling to put 3-4 passes together. Makeshift team so not reading too much into it.

Easy first observations, can tell we don't play 4 at the back often. Lacked the cohesion from when we play 5 at the back. Ndiaye is on a different wave length to everyone else, could and should have scored. Jebbo trying hard but lacking a bit of nouse which comes with game time. Larouci put in some good crosses, which we havent seen for a while. 75 mins in the legs, same again tomorrow. No complaints.

Back
Top Bottom