Reactive Hecky

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Slim Man

Reaction score
Never proactive Hecky. It’s a theme throughout his tenure.

From Norwood needing to be dropped for Doyle, changing to a back 4, making subs - today a prime example. It’s always later than it should be; and usually too late.

Crap.

He only made changes today because of injuries.
If it wasn’t for them he’d have not changed anything.

When you haven’t got players as good as the opposition you have to keep them fresh, meanwhile Man United made 5 subs. We made 3 separate single subs, when you only have 3 windows to make your 5. It’s ridiculous

If it wasn’t for them he’d have not changed anything.

When you haven’t got players as good as the opposition you have to keep them fresh, meanwhile Man United made 5 subs. We made 3 separate single subs, when you only have 3 windows to make your 5. It’s ridiculous

Well he can barely use 5 subs anyway not enough fit players.

From the plethora of options at his disposal, which proactive changes would you have made today?
Quite a big sample to go from on making these statements, not just today.

And frankly even today - I’d quite like to see Slimane get some minutes. Not a disruptive runaround midfielder who’s on his first game back from injury. That would be nice.

From the plethora of options at his disposal, which proactive changes would you have made today?
Why not try a proven international like Slimane?
I think Heckys credibility on judging players has taken a huge hit recently - for example by benching Trusty for the start of the season when he is clearly loads better than Bash and Egan. We know that Norwood and Osborn are done at this level so why bother playing them or bringing them on as subs. Better to try even Seriki, Buyabu or Brooks, as they may have athleticism or other benefits...

Quite a big sample to go from on making these statements, not just today.

Appreciate that, but today being a “prime example” I just wondered what you’d have done proactively.

Who do we hook for Slimane and when?

Let's be right most of the changes today were due to injuries and fitness rather than tactics.

Let's be right most of the changes today were due to injuries and fitness rather than tactics.

Didn’t say they weren’t, just wondered what people would have done more proactively given our lineup and available substitutes…

The tactical subs were way too late.
Hecky spent most of the second half with his arm round SMC whispering to him. You don't need to do that. Why discuss it. Get a sub on. Every sub we make takes about 5 minutes. Hecky has to have needless conversations for several minutes with the sub before they come on. Why? No other manager does this. It just delays it. Bring the fricking sub on.
Oh. Man u have scored. Game over.
Well done Hecky.

Appreciate that, but today being a “prime example” I just wondered what you’d have done proactively.

Who do we hook for Slimane and when?
Considering Osborn played in a central midfield slot, why not bring him on instead?

It was all a complete mess by that point anyway. Everyone was allover the shop. A bit of potential individual quality would’ve been nice.

Considering Osborn played in a central midfield slot, why not bring him on instead?

It was all a complete mess by that point anyway. Everyone was allover the shop. A bit of potential individual quality would’ve been nice.

Wouldn’t that have still been reactive? Just the wrong choice of player?

Well yeah, I’m not sure what point you’re making though?

I’m asking how he should have been more proactive if today was a prime example of it being crap that he wasn’t?

I’m asking how he should have been more proactive if today was a prime example of it being crap that he wasn’t?
Bring Slimane on for any one of the obviously knackered midfielders, or Traore on for Archer who was completely lost without McBurnie and being outpaced by Maguire. Slim pickings, but still pickings.

It’s quite evident Hecky knew it too considering he changed it immediately after the goal. But as ever with him, he spent too long thinking about it.

We started in what looked to be a 4-3-1-2 formation, it worked well when McBurnie was on the field he won 90% of the headers and allowed our midfield to get to the 2nd balls and play them out to Archer/McAtee which was exactly what happened for the penalty.

Once McBurnie goes off, we're ineffective because we're no longer winning the 2nd balls/headers that he was winning. A simple change of bringing off Archer (who I thought was the worst player on the pitch after Ollie went off) for Slimane, and putting Slimane in midfield and going into a 4-3-2-1 with Brewster upfront with McAtee and Hamer behind him, with Slimane taking up Hamers CM spot. Play the ball on the floor and have McAtee and Hamer running at Man U defenders, when ever McAtee did run at them, Man Utd froze, we just didn't do it enough.

At this point we're playing against a 37 year old CB in Evans, and a clumsy Harry Maguire who always has a mistake in him when players run at him.

Then there is the old argument that making a sub slows the opposition down and slows down any momentum they may have, again which we did not do. Before their 2nd goal, they looked like scoring for a good 10minutes, but we didn't do anything to slow the game down.

I agree with this view.

Any change we made today weakened the team. Other teams can bring decent players off the bench, we can bring crocks and kids on. I’d do what Hecky does and try to keep the best players on for as long as possible like he does.

Hecky probably didn’t want to manage a squad as shit as the one he’s got, but then the board did what they did and he didn’t have much choice.

Why not try a proven international like Slimane?
I think Heckys credibility on judging players has taken a huge hit recently - for example by benching Trusty for the start of the season when he is clearly loads better than Bash and Egan. We know that Norwood and Osborn are done at this level so why bother playing them or bringing them on as subs. Better to try even Seriki, Buyabu or Brooks, as they may have athleticism or other benefits...
Totally agree.
If the plan is to fuck this season off and build for next ,
What's the point in playing the old farts , let's get some development done.
In fact , what's the point of signing development players if you're not gonna play em ?
I'd love to ask him.
I hope to goodness the answer isn't that Fleck , Osborn , Norwood and the like are gonna be here next season.
Because if they are , I won't be.

Bring Slimane on for any one of the obviously knackered midfielders, or Traore on for Archer who was completely lost without McBurnie and being outpaced by Maguire. Slim pickings, but still pickings.

It’s quite evident Hecky knew it too considering he changed it immediately after the goal. But as ever with him, he spent too long thinking about it.
Totally agree.
Archer was a poor signing because he's no use without a big partner which means one up top is not possible - he's useless the moment McB goes off since we've no cover for McB.
But Hecky can't see this.
Hecky plays Hamer & McAtee on the opposite of their strong side which makes no sense and doesn't work , but he can't see this
Hecky takes McAtee off after wasting him on the right , but he then can't think beyond replacing him with LB Osborn (had he forgotten he'd had McAtee on the right ??) - a way better replacement would be Slimane who has at least some creativity unlike feckin Osborn who has none.
Hecky just doesn't see things happening on a football pitch - maybe he should go up in the stands where he'd get a better view.
His in-game decisions are either late or crap or both.

Not bringing Slimane on tonight was criminal. Id have also preferred him giving Seriki a chance as Bogle was terrible. Hopefully George back soon.

Is Larouci injured aswell? Thomas looked good going forward but is a bit green defending.

Some of our link up play in first half was excellent - McAtee especially roving on the right actually taking players on.

Didn’t say they weren’t, just wondered what people would have done more proactively given our lineup and available substitutes…
Given Slimane a start maybe. He has looked okay when he has come on. Don't think he could be any worse than the way Norwood is playing rn.

Totally agree.
Archer was a poor signing because he's no use without a big partner which means one up top is not possible - he's useless the moment McB goes off since we've no cover for McB.
Hecky plays Hamer & McAtee on the opposite of their strong side which makes no sense and doesn't work , but he can't see this
Hecky takes McAtee off after wasting him on the right , but he then can't think beyond replacing him with LB Osborn (had he forgotten he'd had McAtee on the right ??) - a way better replacement would be Slimane who has at least some creativity unlike feckin Osborn who has none.
Hecky just doesn't see things happening on a football pitch - maybe he should go up in the stands where he'd get a better view.
On. The. Money

There was a period of about 15 minutes before Man U scored, where we reverted to type. All 11 players sat deep letting Man United attack and just hoofing it clear / giving the ball back. Even the sky sports commentator said a Man United goal was coming.

Hecky should have been telling them to be braver, step up, slow the game down and keep the ball on the floor. In my opinion he also should have brought Slimane on at this point. Instead he stood with his arms folded. We even almost conceded after taking a stupid quick throw in back towards our own goal and giving it away instantly.

We offered absolutely nothing second half and for some stupid reason Hecky still hasn't learned that playing for a draw leads to us losing every week (8 losses out of 9 while barely leaving our own half now).

Man U are clearly better than us. The subs they brought on are clearly better than anything we could have. But Hecky could be a little bit pro active and try and do something to stop the onslaught and inevitable goal when it's coming. Instead he waits until we're losing and brings Osborne on FFS.

Also, I'm not allowing him the benefit of the doubt on the injuries. Ever since he came in it's been a massive problem. Something's clearly wrong with the medical / conditioning of our players and it can't just be a coincidence that under Hecky we've always had a massive injury list with shit loads of muscle ones.

There was a period of about 15 minutes before Man U scored, where we reverted to type. All 11 players sat deep letting Man United attack and just hoofing it clear / giving the ball back. Even the sky sports commentator said a Man United goal was coming.

Hecky should have been telling them to be braver, step up, slow the game down and keep the ball on the floor. In my opinion he also should have brought Slimane on at this point. Instead he stood with his arms folded. We even almost conceded after taking a stupid quick throw in back towards our own goal and giving it away instantly.

We offered absolutely nothing second half and for some stupid reason Hecky still hasn't learned that playing for a draw leads to us losing every week (8 losses out of 9 while barely leaving our own half now).

Man U are clearly better than us. The subs they brought on are clearly better than anything we could have. But Hecky could be a little bit pro active and try and do something to stop the onslaught and inevitable goal when it's coming. Instead he waits until we're losing and brings Osborne on FFS.

Also, I'm not allowing him the benefit of the doubt on the injuries. Ever since he came in it's been a massive problem. Something's clearly wrong with the medical / conditioning of our players and it can't just be a coincidence that under Hecky we've always had a massive injury list with shit loads of muscle ones.
Yeah the reverting to type was evident, the goal was coming. Also find it a bit pathetic how we had absolutely no pressure late on to actually try and score an equaliser. They should be camped on their 18 yard line From 88 mins

I agree with this view.

Any change we made today weakened the team. Other teams can bring decent players off the bench, we can bring crocks and kids on. I’d do what Hecky does and try to keep the best players on for as long as possible like he does.

Hecky probably didn’t want to manage a squad as shit as the one he’s got, but then the board did what they did and he didn’t have much choice.
None of the subs would’ve made us weaker than we were because they were dead on their feet after 70 minutes

Well you can see it. And I can see it. And so can countless others I talk to about United either at the match itself or out and about afterwards.

But....some just refuse to see the obvious and think it's just because we are either unlucky (constantly) or we 'just can't compete in this division' (maybe we can't over the season but in one off games we most certainly can). Some are just sheep and toe the club line as they can't bear to see any criticism of the club. In a way they are part of the problem as they just accept mediocrity from the club and defeat after defeat and it's always 'be better next season' bollocks. Problem is the current manager seems to be on board with this general malaise attitude and we can't compete bollocks. Yes we can.

Let's try being an arkward side to play against, perhaps try and pass to another red n white shirt rather than just limply giving the ball away constantly. Maybe change the team with a couple of subs (even if they are youngsters) if the players on the park are out on their feet. Perhaps put another player in midfield to help that part of the team (before match 9).You know...basic common sense for a football manager.

Totally agree.
Archer is good at running with the ball and taking players on, he only needs a big man at the side of him if we smash 50yd high balls up to them

The disappointing thing for me wasn’t necessarily the subs, although I would have took Norwood off for Slimane and left mcatee on

It was the fact our hoof tactic didn’t change when McB went off - it worked ok with him on
Then we have 2 fast nippy lads in CA & RB against big lumps like evans & harry and we continue to launch it up

High balls to our 2 against their 2 is taking a knife to a gun fight

Take Norwood off dead balls
Tighten the midfield when they were dominating before they scored
Change tactics when McB went off to better suit a smaller and nippier front two

Archer is good at running with the ball and taking players on, he only needs a big man at the side of him if we smash 50yd high balls up to them

The disappointing thing for me wasn’t necessarily the subs, although I would have took Norwood off for Slimane and left mcatee on

It was the fact our hoof tactic didn’t change when McB went off - it worked ok with him on
Then we have 2 fast nippy lads in CA & RB against big lumps like evans & harry and we continue to launch it up

High balls to our 2 against their 2 is taking a knife to a gun fight

You mean play the ball into their feet or even try and play them in by playing balls into the channels where they can out pace the big lads..... Nah that's just crazy talk. Never catch on that.

Back
Top Bottom