Player Suggestion Premiership Squad

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ryan Manning (LB/LWB) of Swansea available on a free. Good age and seems like a bit of a shithouse

Also Joel Latibeaudiere (RCB) would be available for a tribunal fee, though admittedly know much less about him
Latibeaudiere would jump at the chance seeing as he’s from Doncaster so would be moving back home. Good player aswell. Came through Man City ranks.

The biggest priority is signing Ndiaye to a new contract and that’s going to be very expensive. Players we should look at;

GK: Kasper Schmeichel (loan)
CB: Leo Ostigard (loan + option)
LCB: David Hancko (permanent deal)
CM: Thomas Delaney (loan)
AM: James McAtee (loan)
AM: Amad Diallo (loan)
ST: Diego Costa (free transfer, if Wolves don’t renew)

In terms of Championship players Gus Hamer and Joel Piroe are both in the last year of their deals and would be value signings. Hamer for example would probably cost less than Doyle.

If we want a new tier one academy & training ground at circa £25m there won’t be the cash for big fees as per last time.
I would rather put the academy in place as it will pay dividends in the medium to long-term, both in attracting better youngsters and also not having to sell them for peanuts to other tier one clubs.
I also think we will have to sell Berge and N’diaye if they don’t sign new deals so the recruitment department have a difficult Summer ahead.
As a fan base we are going to need to be patient as it could feel like we have half a team at the start of the window.

The concern is the speed our club manage to get players in.
The sheer volume we need means we are in a tricky spot if we want a side ready to go in August.
We could look at offering new deals to a few here that many assume will be leaving and adding half a dozen. This way we have some consistency and reduce the effect of the players not knowing each other and getting a side that works.
We need a lot of work on all areas of the pitch.

So-
Doyle in if fee right.
McAtee on loan.
Ndiaye stays regardless of contract
Coulibaly- 2 year deal and squad player
Fleck- 2 year deal- Can be the squad man and hope he gets fully fit again, slower pace may suit him.
Norwood- slowing down, maybe time for him to go if we can get Doyle but would he be happy to stay as back up?
Berge stays regardless of contract. Play him and Doyle in a central 2.
But need another body in there really to improve the quality.

Up top see if we can get McB for 2 years.
Then need 2 new strikers. Sharp cannot be the option off the bench.
Brewster seems destined never to come good and will leave on a free eventually.
So McB, Illy, Brewster…2 new strikers should be the striker options. I’d be sending Osula and Jebbison to the Champ on loan.

Back Line-
Baldock has to stay, Egan is looking on the downward slope but will be no worse than what we could expect. Anel stays.
Question marks over Lowe and Bogle defensively but for me we need at least a new LWB and RND been out a long time and may not be the same.
Add a new LCB and cover for Egan.

Then keeper- one quality first choice keeper in, keep the other 2 as back up.
Rest out on loan.

So I reckon we need minimum 2 midfield, LWB, LCB, CB/LCB/RCB cover (this is one player), 2 Midfield and 2 strikers. 1 Keeper.
10 signings!!

Possibly a new RWB if a top quality option can be found to replace one of Baldock/Bogle

1. Fodz / (Dahmen - Free Transfer)

2. Baldock / Bogle

3. (Doig) / Lowe

4. Anel / (Uremović - Free Transfer)

5. Egan / (Aiwu)

6. RND / JLT

7. Berge / (Maitland-Niles - Free Transfer)

8. (Ferguson) / (Doyle) / (Skhiri - Free Transfer)

11. (O'Brien) / (McAtee - Loan)

9. (Nzola) / McBurnie

10. Ndiaye / (Iling-Junior - Loan)

I do enjoy reading these type of threads, but without sounding like a damp squid, could we just hold back until we get a huge bold ‘P’ at the side of our club name. We’re talking about Sheffield United here and we all know what can happen.
Me pessimistic? ….. Nah.
Unfortunately, you'll find most squids are damp.

If we want to go after Championship players then we need to talk about these and test the waters.

What cost these blokes?

Alex Scott- 19, said to be the next big thing..£20-25m?
Dan Neill- Done well at mackems…£5m?
Ryan Giles- Wolves player forever on loan, looked excellent going forwards…£10m?
Isaiah Jones…Another who’s looked very good, £7m?
Viktor Gykores… year left and apparently a lot of interest..£25m minimum!

So if we could get that lot for £70m we are stronger…but is there better value which is either better player or as good but cheaper?

Assuming the likely happens and we go up these are the realistic options I think we could be looking at and how that would have our squad looking. My logic is, we will have little ball so need legs in the midfield alongside prem experience.

What do you think is missing ?

Incoming

GK - Dean Henderson (loan)
CB - Ciaran Clark (Free)
LCB - Levi Colwill (loan)
CDM - Raphael Onyedika (£15m)
CM - Will Hughes (£7m)
CM - Tommy Doyle (£10m)
CM - Tom Davis (free agent)
CAM - Guus Til (£7m)
ST - Victor Gyökeres (£20m)

Release/Sell

Fleck
Stevens
Jebbison (loan)
Coulibaly (loan)
O’Connell
Osborne
Osula (loan)
Arblaster (loan)

Squad

GK - Henderson, Wes, Davies
RWB - Baldock, Bogle
RCB - Anel, Basham
CB - Egan, Clark
LCB - Colwill, Robinson
LWB - Lowe, Norrington-Davies
CDM - Onyedika, Norwood
LCM - Tommy Doyle, Will Hughes
RCM - Sander Berge, Tom Davies
CAM - Guus Til
ST - Ndiaye, Gyökeres, Mcburnie, Brewster, Sharp
Personally wouldn't be interested in Clark, he's injury prone and is no better than Robinson, or if he is not by much and we need someone who can play the majority of games in my view. Gyokeres as others have said will likely go to a bigger team. I've said this a few times but I'll keep saying it, we could do a lot worse than sign Carlton Morris from Luton as an alternative to Gyokores. I don't think Bash is up to the PL now either to be honest, especially if we get injuries and he has to play a lot. Tom Davies is an interesting shout, he's gone off the boil at Everton but maybe just needs a new surrounding. I think we need another RWB, someone better than what we have, think on the LWB that RND will be first choice but his injury is worrying as he's missed five months now and Lowe himself has had his injury issues.

If we want to go after Championship players then we need to talk about these and test the waters.

What cost these blokes?

Ryan Giles- Wolves player forever on loan, looked excellent going forwards…£10m?

So if we could get that lot for £70m we are stronger…but is there better value which is either better player or as good but cheaper?
I'd like Giles too and Jones, think Boro would want more than £7m for Jones though, but I thine we may be able to get Giles for lower than £10m. Problem is I think Boro will go up in which case we'll likely get neither! Alex Scott would be quality but not so sure he's ready to be a regular in the PL just yet?

I'd like Giles too and Jones, think Boro would want more than £7m for Jones though, but I thine we may be able to get Giles for lower than £10m. Problem is I think Boro will go up in which case we'll likely get neither! Alex Scott would be quality but not so sure he's ready to be a regular in the PL just yet?

Agree about Scott…may be a risk but would also be a huge coup for the club and be a big player the following season if we drop again.

I’m hoping Boro drop the ball in the play offs, really want Coventry and another similar to get there as they are all in a worse position than us and need bigger overhauls.
One team I’d expect to finish above next year

What cost these blokes?

What about that Nisbet fella from is it Hearts? We’re supposed to be interested in him. I think there’s other clubs also interested in him as well?

Darren Bullock from Bury to give us some steel in midfield. Been there and done that, worn the t-shirt. Think we’re missing that hard-man, especially with sly Frenchies like Petit and Vieira flooding our league.

Shaun Goater from Man City. City are shit. Goater scores goals. Nuff said.

The biggest priority is signing Ndiaye to a new contract and that’s going to be very expensive. Players we should look at;

GK: Kasper Schmeichel (loan)
CB: Leo Ostigard (loan + option)
LCB: David Hancko (permanent deal)
CM: Thomas Delaney (loan)
AM: James McAtee (loan)
AM: Amad Diallo (loan)
ST: Diego Costa (free transfer, if Wolves don’t renew)

In terms of Championship players Gus Hamer and Joel Piroe are both in the last year of their deals and would be value signings. Hamer for example would probably cost less than Doyle.
Forget Ndiaye mate, just said on radio sheff his agent wants him out, just hope we get a decent fee then😒

Personally wouldn't be interested in Clark, he's injury prone and is no better than Robinson, or if he is not by much and we need someone who can play the majority of games in my view. Gyokeres as others have said will likely go to a bigger team. I've said this a few times but I'll keep saying it, we could do a lot worse than sign Carlton Morris from Luton as an alternative to Gyokores. I don't think Bash is up to the PL now either to be honest, especially if we get injuries and he has to play a lot. Tom Davies is an interesting shout, he's gone off the boil at Everton but maybe just needs a new surrounding. I think we need another RWB, someone better than what we have, think on the LWB that RND will be first choice but his injury is worrying as he's missed five months now and Lowe himself has had his injury issues.
Hamer the one to go for

Hamer the one to go for

Agreed, if we're not already tapping Hamers agent up I'd be disappointed (yes know it's technically not allowed but happens all the time anyway)

Would prefer Hamer over Gyokeres if choosing one from Coventry tbh

Would be very sensible to pick up 2 or 3 midfielders of a certain profile to form our next 'baseline' core, ensuring a good minimum level in the event of relegation, so we're consolidated and likely to bounce back

I think if you have a quality midfield, that defines the quality of the team and as a relegated PL club you can pretty much make up the rest. Should build a midfield while you can because it's not easy, and if you do then you don't have to rely on loaning Conor Hourihane

Players like these are the sort of profile we should look at for this. Domestic, good age, PL capable, possible to keep if relegated

Tommy Doyle
Lewis OBrien
Gustavo Hamer
Will Smallbone
Hamza Choudhury
Sam Field
Lewis Travis

We've got away with it for years in midfield without recruiting (thanks Oli). Now is the time to refresh

If we want a new tier one academy & training ground at circa £25m there won’t be the cash for big fees as per last time.
I would rather put the academy in place as it will pay dividends in the medium to long-term, both in attracting better youngsters and also not having to sell them for peanuts to other tier one clubs.
I also think we will have to sell Berge and N’diaye if they don’t sign new deals so the recruitment department have a difficult Summer ahead.
As a fan base we are going to need to be patient as it could feel like we have half a team at the start of the window.
Thing is, unlike the last time we went up under Wilder, we don't have a team full of players that are in their peak. We have some that are, but quite a few now are past their best like Fleck, Bash, Norwood, Sharp, Stevens and we don't have O'Connell either and very unlikely he'll be able to come back at PL level now. Obviously we have had others come to the fore like RND, Lowe, Bogle, Berge, Anel and Ndiaye. But Lowe and Bogle are not likely to be first choice next season, RND has had five months out injured and will Berge and Ndiaye stay? So my point is that if we go up and prioritise the training ground to the detriment of team strengthening then I would be worried that we'll miss a golden opportunity to stay up next season if we go up which looks inevitable now.

I totally get your point though, I still think we can strengthen and do the training ground but there's a few positions we need both first team and cover if we want to give ourselves the best chance of staying up. Therefore I'm not advocating spending £20m on any Championship player as we did last time with McBurnie; I hope we'll be able to bring in a few gems from abroad that will be of much better value. Like what Burnley have done with the Belgian league for example.

What sort of midfielder is Davies? He’s top of the soon to be out of contract players in terms of valuation and age on transfermarkt but he doesn’t seem to score or assist, so what does he do? Players that contribute nothing to us scoring are not going to be that useful unless they are outstanding at something else.

What cost these blokes?

Exactly the type of players that we should be going for. The best young players in the Championship or fringe PL players.

We may have to bounce up and down for a couple of season (like Fulham)

Build the next generation of Blades stars

Scott from Bristol to replace McAtee
If Forest go down - MGW for N'Diaye?
Ballard from Sunderland would be a solid signing - unless he's crocked.
Would we take Slater back from Hull? Had a good season, Hull fans think he's too good for them?
Foderingham has a had a good season, but we need a younger keeper. Cakir is back on the radar I think.

Ideally we need to be looking at players aged 20 - 24

We need to see what the budget is for next season before we can really plan ahead. Fleck, Norwood, Stevens, Osborn, Davies, Clark & Oconnell have to go, along with, sorry to say Sharp, Basham is the only one of the older pro's I'd consider as back up, on a one year extension. We need a strong centre back,a good left back, though RND would fill that role, if fit imo,two midfielders (Fleck & Norwood couldn't do it 3 years ago ,so won't do it now), a goalscorer and a good back up keeper

Assuming the likely happens and we go up these are the realistic options I think we could be looking at and how that would have our squad looking. My logic is, we will have little ball so need legs in the midfield alongside prem experience.

What do you think is missing ?

Incoming

GK - Dean Henderson (loan)
CB - Ciaran Clark (Free)
LCB - Levi Colwill (loan)
CDM - Raphael Onyedika (£15m)
CM - Will Hughes (£7m)
CM - Tommy Doyle (£10m)
CM - Tom Davis (free agent)
CAM - Guus Til (£7m)
ST - Victor Gyökeres (£20m)

Release/Sell

Fleck
Stevens
Jebbison (loan)
Coulibaly (loan)
O’Connell
Osborne
Osula (loan)
Arblaster (loan)

Squad

GK - Henderson, Wes, Davies
RWB - Baldock, Bogle
RCB - Anel, Basham
CB - Egan, Clark
LCB - Colwill, Robinson
LWB - Lowe, Norrington-Davies
CDM - Onyedika, Norwood
LCM - Tommy Doyle, Will Hughes
RCM - Sander Berge, Tom Davies
CAM - Guus Til
ST - Ndiaye, Gyökeres, Mcburnie, Brewster, Sharp
....”a trip to the moon on gossamer wings” but lovely if it happened.

I asked Frank to put me on ignore the last time my post didn’t agree with his opinion, but it looks like he hasn’t and would rather read them so he can have a dig.

I guess there’s only one opinion on this board that counts?
MINE !!!

What sort of midfielder is Davies? He’s top of the soon to be out of contract players in terms of valuation and age on transfermarkt but he doesn’t seem to score or assist, so what does he do? Players that contribute nothing to us scoring are not going to be that useful unless they are outstanding at something else.
Only started 4 games all season. Think he's been stop start due to injury? Or was that last season... either way I belive he's a Joe Allen/ Leon britton type of midfielder imo. Hope this helps, could be completely wrong of course, just what I've seen of him personally which isn't a lot.

So Dozy is not buying the club, if we are promoted tonight or Saturday we are Premier League next season, so who regulates the transfer to new owners, the EFL or Premier League? Either way the length of time it appears to take means that the budget will be set by the Prince, so it is likely to be cautious. The time frame until the new season is always short and our past history suggest we take an age getting players over the line. I don't think this is the fault of the club. But the status of the club means the players we pursue prevaricate in negotiations to see who else comes along. With the contract situations we potentially have gaps all over the team/squad but we should be wary of massive changes which adversely affect the overall culture of the dressing room and could end with us signing football mercenaries. Look at Forest so far this season they have used 33 players. I would keep changes to a minimum. Of the old guard I would let Stevens and Fleck and O'Connell go. Two year extensions for McBurnie, Norwood, Fotheringham, Jebbison and Coulibaly. I wouldn't sign Clark unless it is on a pay as you play basis.
Ndiaye stays regardless of contract - he does not owe us anything. Ideally I would try and sign him on a three year contact by offering a £10m signing on fee.
With Berge, to me promotion will mean the boots on the other foot we are now in a more powerful position, offer him a one year extension and if he won't sign it, sell him.
Bogle isn't good enough and Basham is getting older so we need cover for Baldock and Anel - hopefully in one player Then it is two midfield players and a striker. I think Hopefully we could sign Doyle, but we should be circumspect in what we pay for him, if he and Man City don't make quick decisions then move on, he is not worth getting in a bidding war. If we could get Scott from Bristol City as a McAtee replacement then another loan for Doyle would work too.
Strikers are always a gamble and ours don't seem to have paid off, recently or in the last 25 years to be honest. This isn't unique to us as we are operating in a market and with a budget which will mean it is a gamble but hopefully we will not be going with the £20m gambles ever again.

With the contract situations we potentially have gaps all over the team/squad but we should be wary of massive changes which adversely affect the overall culture of the dressing room and could end with us signing football mercenaries.
Thats an important point, and why I would keep Norwood, Basham and one other stalwart, probably Sharp. It's the mentality of these senior players which has got us up, and we need to retain as much of that as possible in order to stay up

It is also crucial to use this opportunity to upgrade the club's structure - training ground, academy, stadium. That is more important than recruitment and will rightly take a chunk out of the budget

It will be a skillful undertaking to strike the right balance with all of this but it is doable and we should relish the challenge

We should look to heavily use the foreign loan market for better players. Pay a larger loan fee with a option to buy which makes it attractive for them as they’ll get more as a total. If it doesn’t work out we don’t have to buy the player and have only lost the upfront fee and the loaning club get the fee plus the wage saving. Yes, we’ll potentially waste £15-20m on those fees but that’s across 4-5 players and if any are big success’ you make that back anyway.
The foreign market has to be looked at to find the next Anel or Sande. There has to be dozens of quality players would love to play in the Prem but are not on the big teams radar. Brentfird have shown the way. Hope are recruiting team is as good.

The foreign market has to be looked at to find the next Anel or Sande. There has to be dozens of quality players would love to play in the Prem but are not on the big teams radar. Brentfird have shown the way. Hope are recruiting team is as good.
We don’t have the infrastructure to do what Brentford did though. So our hit rate isn’t likely to be comparable.

The whole buying the best players in the championship technique was done last time, and well who’s left? McBurnie? Only others I can think of are Bogle and Lowe but we all prefer RND and Baldock. So this time we have to be careful, can’t be overly spending on unproven champ players. Perhaps older, proven prem players. Or dare I say it… players from leagues overseas. But I wouldn’t want to be asking too much from our scouting team 😂
Tbf I don't think we did sign the best of the championship. Off the top of my head Maupay and Bowen were out of our range and went on to do ok. I don't disagree though that we should widen our search.

Back
Top Bottom