Passing, general ball control and dribbling

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Did alright today IMHO.

Brewster did really well. Not convinced either Larouchi or Bogle should be anywhere near our club come summer. I’d look to blood one of the younger RBs coming through and sign a new LB.
Agree with that but we have had a problem at left back for nearly 2 years mainly because of injuries but now same can be said at right back .Thought Anel had a decent game today which is encouraging . On the bright side of things is the fact we could not play Holgate today .

I know it’s a commonly known fact that we are out of our depth and it might just be dread because I expect us to screw up when we have the ball, however most other teams seem to do it with ease. I get that their players get paid more than ours and maybe it’s just that but it’s painful at times.

I know it’s a commonly known fact that we are out of our depth and it might just be dread because I expect us to screw up when we have the ball, however most other teams seem to do it with ease. I get that their players get paid more than ours and maybe it’s just that but it’s painful at times.

We never had a preseason with the new players arriving so late. Plus the manager change. No wonder we’re so disjointed.

rabbit in headlights agreed

our lads don’t have speed of thought and technique to do what even the average EPL side does. when you watch Man C it looks easy, but Burnley spent £100m to try to do it and are worse off than us (if you think we’ve spent half as much to be equally shit.)

The old adage you can’t polish a turd is apt for our training sessions
Our net spend over the last 5 years is 50% more than Burnleys. Their players are also much better at all the things listed in the original post. Its easy to see when they play, they hold the ball and try and pass and move. The stats has them as a mid-table team in terms of possession, progressive carriers etc. they are just useless defensively like us and play more risky and therefore make stupid mistakes.

Our net spend over the last 5 years is 50% more than Burnleys. Their players are also much better at all the things listed in the original post. Its easy to see when they play, they hold the ball and try and pass and move. The stats has them as a mid-table team in terms of possession, progressive carriers etc. they are just useless defensively like us and play more risky and therefore make stupid mistakes.
See you point, but ultimately the only stat that matters is points, and on that they’re the same as us

They also had 6 years in the prem prior to last season so had the nucleus of a prem team, whereas we’ve had to (try) to build 2 prem teams, starting that timeframe in L1

It shows what Forest had to do to just stay up, Luton will drop back down, making a good go of it but I reckon they will do a Bolton/Wigan and drop down again, Edwards will be poached as he’s got something

The gap in quality is too big, never so evident than this season, especially if the 3 promoted/relegated teams swap places again

Today highlighted something that’s been bugging me since August . It’s like watching players who never played together or for the first time . In possession we send the ball into an area where there is no blade shirt ? 5 yard passes going astray. Goal keeper smashes it out . What the fuck is going on at Shirecliffe ? Players out of position when we win the ball back or places when defending a corner ! It’s like kids you stand here and you stand there basic shit , the understanding has gone . WHY

Has there ever been a worse side to grace the premier league in those 3 attributes?

I’ve never seen anything like it.

A ‘better performance’ I keep seeing, but they were absolutely shite and we never truly looked like scoring.

We are genuinely horrible to watch.
Yeah agree. The recruitment this season set us up for it. So much wasted money and now we have Sheffield United Most expensive assembled midfield who cannot pass it.

Feel free to disprove it.

Edit: 60% extra according to this source

‘Net’ is the keyword there.
As a premier league side for a fair number of recent years (9 of the last 10?) I’d assume Burnley had more valuable players on the books to sell from that point.

If we buy two players for 5 million each; and Man City sell three youngsters for 15 million each, and one senior pro for 50 million, and buy two midfielders for 40 million each, we end up with a higher net spend than City - but nobody would say ‘we’ve outspent City’.

I would guess that Burnley spent maybe 50 million more than us in those 5 years and recouped it in sales - so they should have 50 million pounds worth of more talent in their squad than us.

Our best player from last season at doing the basics of control, pass simply, retain possession, move, carry progressively etc. … is now playing for Burnley. Because they’ve outspent us. And bought higher quality players. Including one of our best players. (I know Ndiaye was our best player, but in my view Berge’s strength was just doing the basics consistently well).

As a premier league side for a fair number of recent years (9 of the last 10?) I’d assume Burnley had more valuable players on the books to sell from that point.

If we buy two players for 5 million each; and Man City sell three youngsters for 15 million each, and one senior pro for 50 million, and buy two midfielders for 40 million each, we end up with a higher net spend than City - but nobody would say ‘we’ve outspent City’.

I would guess that Burnley spent maybe 50 million more than us in those 5 years and recouped it in sales - so they should have 50 million pounds worth of more talent in their squad than us.

Our best player from last season at doing the basics of control, pass simply, retain possession, move, carry progressively etc. … is now playing for Burnley. Because they’ve outspent us. And bought higher quality players. Including one of our best players. (I know Ndiaye was our best player, but in my view Berge’s strength was just doing the basics consistently well).
Also, how much have they spent in wages and agent fees over the period?

Transfer fees are just one component.

Today highlighted something that’s been bugging me since August . It’s like watching players who never played together or for the first time . In possession we send the ball into an area where there is no blade shirt ? 5 yard passes going astray. Goal keeper smashes it out . What the fuck is going on at Shirecliffe ? Players out of position when we win the ball back or places when defending a corner ! It’s like kids you stand here and you stand there basic shit , the understanding has gone . WHY

I think people over look how many players we brought in during the summer. It needs a certain kind of manager to form them into a team in pre-season.

It also doesn't include this little thing called wages. The Blades went down with a wage bill almost 30 million less than Burnley's and went on to sign one player on a permanent transfer in five transfer windows prior to this season

Kompany inherited a team choc full of assets. They flipped them, and he was given free reign to rebuild with healthy fees. It should be obvious to anyone which is the easier job. Personally I'm not at all shocked to see him getting exposed now. What is interesting with ALK capital, Burnley's owners, is how affordable this actually is.We might find out if they can't realise big fees for their assets. Particularly if they don't bounce back.

I would also question the timescale used, which seems arbitrary. Why not start from our league one promotion season when we had a huge positive net spend between then and our first season in the Prem? Sales of Brooks, Ramsdale, Calvert Lewin, Walker, Evans, Leonard. Significant Murphy and Walker sell on clauses. Start from there and include wages and fees.

The major additions in our rise over 1 million included Norwood 1.2 million and egan 3.5 million.

We might find out if they can't realise big fees for their assets. Particularly if they don't bounce back.
Berge will end up hotel surfing in the Burnley area for the next few transfer windows, I bet he hates August and January apart from the points he gets on his loyalty cards.

There is a lot of nerves/panic on the pitch due to our overall lack of confidence.
And we try to pass our way out from too deep....because we have to go back/cede ground as central midfield don't make themselves available. At that point you know there's trouble or a hoof coming.

Net is most definately the key word. Hence why i said it.

Still doesn’t change the fact that the last 5 years we’ve dug deeper into our pockets than them for transfers. It also doesn’t take into consideration salary. Last I saw burnleys wages were 50% more than ours. So obviously not a full picture but it highlights that we have pushed ourselves quite a lot and ended up with not much.

Still waiting for Silent Blade to disprove it though.

Last edited:
Net is most definately the key word. Hence why i said it.

Still doesn’t change the fact that the last 5 years we’ve dug deeper into our pockets than them for transfers. It also doesn’t take into consideration salary. Last I saw burnleys wages were 50% more than ours. So obviously not a full picture but it highlights that we have pushed ourselves quite a lot and ended up with not much.

Burnley will be in deeper shit financially than us in the Championship next season

Net is most definately the key word. Hence why i said it 😆.

But if this is the case then the scouting department including head scout and bettis and who ever else is involved in the transfer dealings need replacing, as it has been totally mismanaged for years and neglected, and people are either not doing their job right or not up to job in question (my opinion is the latter and thus needs a shake up).

See you point, but ultimately the only stat that matters is points, and on that they’re the same as us

They also had 6 years in the prem prior to last season so had the nucleus of a prem team, whereas we’ve had to (try) to build 2 prem teams, starting that timeframe in L1

It shows what Forest had to do to just stay up, Luton will drop back down, making a good go of it but I reckon they will do a Bolton/Wigan and drop down again, Edwards will be poached as he’s got something

The gap in quality is too big, never so evident than this season, especially if the 3 promoted/relegated teams swap places again

Luton will go down (with patronising honour from plaudits plaudits)...but I can see them staying strong next season.

We never had a preseason with the new players arriving so late. Plus the manager change. No wonder we’re so disjointed.

The worst thing is that it was so painstakingly obvious at the time how unprepared we were, but the message we got from the unofficial mouthpiece on twitter was we were waiting for better deals to be available at the end of the window, effectively writing off the first 3 games.

Other than getting players injured (and playing that stupid effing tennis game), what do we on the training ground all week?

Seemingly, we spend all week coming up with a game plan to try to stifle and deal with the opposition. Then when it comes to matchday we get a player sent off or concede an early goal and it all goes out of the window.

Our set pieces are absolutely shite. No creativity, imagination or quality. There one of our few opportunities to hurt teams but we seem to put little to no preperation into them. We give opposition teams fuck all to think about.

Our set pieces are absolutely shite. No creativity, imagination or quality. There one of our few opportunities to hurt teams but we seem to put little to no preperation into them. We give opposition teams fuck all to think about.

Another area we're well behind on is a lot of teams now have set piece coaches, while we huddle around Knilly's whiteboard waiting for the next genius move.

How long will Wilder stick with his old favorite Norwood, he is done 33 in two months and older than Fleck.

Good old Wilder sticking with his mate by leaving him on the bench 75% of the time

Yesterday was Norwood's first appearance in the league in 2024.

Since Wilder has come in, we have played 12 league games. Yesterday was his 3rd app under Wilder.

Luton will go down (with patronising honour from plaudits plaudits)...but I can see them staying strong next season.
Hopefully not😂

Risk for them is some of their lads have been good

Barkley, Kaminski, Mengi, morris, ogbene, adebayo - all have proved they can operate in the prem

Suppose benefit of been wank is no one’s coming in for our lot

However, If someone offers £20m for Anel in the summer, like a £100,000 job offer from the brittle bone society, we should snap their fuckin hand off

Said it yesterday i've never seen a team with a worse first touch in top flight than us

Back
Top Bottom