Parkinson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Parkinson obviously isn't everyone's first choice, but I can't see how he is that bad to spark this reaction.

Look at Bristol City and Cotterill, he's not a fashionable name, but he managed to piss this league. I see Parkinson as similar type of appointment, not a big name, but has promotions on his CV and with our budget and squad I think he would definitely mount a better promotion challenge than Clough.

Adkins for me, but if it is Parkinson I'll be going into next season with far more optimism than I would going into it with Clough.

This groupthink re: Adkins is getting funny now, just going to pop a dissenting voice in here that I'd prefer Parky, although he's not exactly high on my list either

To be fair to Parkinson, Bradford's pitch is fucking awful.

May not even be the pitch. May just be that given his personnel, it makes sense. It's like the continual
Allardyce do not want thinking, you really think they should attempt to pass Chelsea off the park, and that if he went to Real they'd just ping long balls to Benzema for 90?

May not even be the pitch. May just be that given his personnel, it makes sense. It's like the continual
Allardyce do not want thinking, you really think they should attempt to pass Chelsea off the park, and that if he went to Real they'd just ping long balls to Benzema for 90?

Agree 100%

It's easy to look at how a manager's team plays and pigeon hole him as a hoof or total football manager, but it's not that simple.

This is a results based business where managers live and die by results, no chairman is going to keep say "well we got relegated, but we tried to play some loving football". So what does a manager do? He gets the best out of his budget and squad of players at his disposal in order to be as successful as possible, unfortunately the quality of football sometimes has to be sacrificed in order to win matches.

As a Blade who lives in Bingley and who has a lot of mates who support Bradford City...... it worries me that throughout last season they were all talking about how Parky was so negative, would always seek to defend a one goal lead and generally bored the Valley Parade crowd to tears (next year season tickets at VP are £106... and those I've spoken too reckon that's a lot to ask if the entertainment next year isn't going to be any better).

I've watched the Blades for over 40haveand will always support the guy in the dug out - simply because his success means my team are a success. But crikey me....Phil Parkinson? Really????? Nowt against the guy (he seems like a thoroughly decent bloke)..... but I struggle to see how the manager who led Bradford City to a lower finish than us... who saw his team beaten home and away by Yeovil ladt season... and who presided over a 1-6 reaming at home from Bristol City (a team which we beat 3-1 away) can be an aspirational target?????

Not sure what criteria those in charge at BDTBL use to determine who will make a good manager to take us forward.... but surely the standard has to be higher than this?

Doesn't it..........???????

Parkinson obviously isn't everyone's first choice, but I can't see how he is that bad to spark this reaction.

Look at Bristol City and Cotterill, he's not a fashionable name, but he managed to piss this league. I see Parkinson as similar type of appointment, not a big name, but has promotions on his CV and with our budget and squad I think he would definitely mount a better promotion challenge than Clough.

Adkins for me, but if it is Parkinson I'll be going into next season with far more optimism than I would going into it with Clough.
I'd be going with more confidence if instead of Clough we put Adrian Heath in charge

As a Blade who lives in Bingley and who has a lot of mates who support Bradford City...... it worries me that throughout last season they were all talking about how Parky was so negative, would always seek to defend a one goal lead and generally bored the Valley Parade crowd to tears (next year season tickets at VP are £106... and those I've spoken too reckon that's a lot to ask if the entertainment next year isn't going to be any better).

I've watched the Blades for over 40haveand will always support the guy in the dug out - simply because his success means my team are a success. But crikey me....Phil Parkinson? Really????? Nowt against the guy (he seems like a thoroughly decent bloke)..... but I struggle to see how the manager who led Bradford City to a lower finish than us... who saw his team beaten home and away by Yeovil ladt season... and who presided over a 1-6 reaming at home from Bristol City (a team which we beat 3-1 away) can be an aspirational target?????

Not sure what criteria those in charge at BDTBL use to determine who will make a good manager to take us forward.... but surely the standard has to be higher than this?

Doesn't it..........???????
Reading that ^^^^^^^^ makes me confident the board won't be going for him

Agree 100%

It's easy to look at how a manager's team plays and pigeon hole him as a hoof or total football manager, but it's not that simple.

This is a results based business where managers live and die by results, no chairman is going to keep say "well we got relegated, but we tried to play some loving football". So what does a manager do? He gets the best out of his budget and squad of players at his disposal in order to be as successful as possible, unfortunately the quality of football sometimes has to be sacrificed in order to win matches.

I agree, I remember playing some of the "prettiest" football I've seen United play under Martin Peters, into the 4th Division. Not a pleasant experience.

I recommend an adaptable approach where we can change "styles" from match to match and even within a match to keep the opposition guessing. Playing the same way all the time makes it easier for the opposition to prepare for playing against us.

I agree, I remember playing some of the "prettiest" football I've seen United play under Martin Peters, into the 4th Division. Not a pleasant experience.

I recommend an adaptable approach where we can change "styles" from match to match and even within a match to keep the opposition guessing. Playing the same way all the time makes it easier for the opposition to prepare for playing against us.
The third division in those days was a cloggers league Peters was a bad appointment and he did inherit a pile of shit from Haslam.
You can give yourself plenty of options , running the channels, wingers,overlapping full backs, imaginative set play etc without employing John Beck tactics

With interviews in Brussels would not seem to be him. And a announcement next week, seems he's going on holiday

Thread merged.

Can we keep all discussion regarding prospective managers to their respective threads instead of opening a new one for every piece of gossip and hearsay?

Much obliged.

If it's true that we are (as reports would have us believe) really interested in Parkinson, I'd love to know who is driving it.

If it's the Prince and Jim - it suggests that their "soccer" knowledge may be a little limited I'm afraid. However, if it's young McCabe, which is probably more likely, he really has inherited the "cant pick a manager" gene from his old man hasn't he. :rolleyes:

Thread merged.

Can we keep all discussion regarding prospective managers to their respective threads instead of opening a new one for every piece of gossip and hearsay?

Much obliged.
Hate to be picky but the title and the message are slightly out of sync now.:)

Agree 100%

True to a point, but anyone who watched Parkinson's tactics at Bramall Lane in April must be more than a little concerned at the prospect of having him in charge.

Not only was it the ugliest, most unrefined form of hoofball I've ever seen, it was also tactically inept. The ball was consistently chipped up to Hanson who won pretty much every header but was left to chase his own flick ons. Yes, he eventually changed things after 83 mins and gained instant reward, but it was an appalling spectacle. That performance alone should have kept him off any shortlist.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom