Nice post by BBC Sport - for once!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What a car that was. Suspension meant that forward or sideways it mattered not- bouncy bouncy!
Ours wasnt, you could see the road through a hole in the floor. That coupled with 'Maximum's' driving made my memories of that car a bit tainted. My mum was only 5ft 2 and my best mate once called her minimum, needless to say he wasnt so welcome round my house after that. AND my mum belted me for his rudeness.

Ours wasnt, you could see the road through a hole in the floor. That coupled with 'Maximum's' driving made my memories of that car a bit tainted. My mum was only 5ft 2 and my best mate once called her minimum, needless to say he wasnt so welcome round my house after that. AND my mum belted me for his rudeness.
Cars with holes in the floor! That was the norm- kids these days eh? My dad explained to me that the reason old blokes wore jackets and gloves whilst driving was because heaters were an expensive extra. Joke is that you still see them driving around today!

Let's just hope the blades turn up the heat to maximum on Saturday against City to get a minumulist result......

Nurseeeee help I'm confuscious

Sure we could secure promotion on 82 but we're talking about what is needed now to guarantee promotion.

What is the lowest number of points we currently need to guarantee promotion, ie the lowest point total regardless of what other teams do? I think you'd agree that this is 85. And the 'lowest number' is of course the minimum. The maximum is 94.

Anyway, I agree, it's not worth arguing about.
"In the end, we agreed that we were both right..."

When I was 12 my dad bought an Austin Maxi. Whenever my mum drove it we used to call her maximum. Hope that helps.
Together with the Renault 16, the precursor to the modern 5 door hatchback.
Shame they lumbered it with possibly the worst gearchange ever fitted to a production car.

3 is the maximum that we need - because if we get 3 we are certain to be promoted.

However, should Luton get to 84 points with a hatful of goals then 3 points also becomes the minimum that we need.

So 3 is certainly always the maximum, but that maximum could also be the minimum - the two can be the same.

Reactions: Dkc
My wife was a paralegal for a federal judge and if she says it should be minimum then it's fkin minimum. Also it's the BBC which means they are illiterate and don't do research. BBC also has another meaning, I'm told.

Reactions: Dkc
Cars with holes in the floor! That was the norm- kids these days eh? My dad explained to me that the reason old blokes wore jackets and gloves whilst driving was because heaters were an expensive extra. Joke is that you still see them driving around today!
My mate wants to know what's wrong with that.

My mate wants to know what's wrong with that.
Nothing. We're told that we should put an extra layer on if it's cold in the house. Why shouldn't this apply to your car too?

Kids today don't realise how easy they have it.

Let’s all agree and say the maximum minimum we need is 3, whereas the minimum maximum is 0.

At this point, both would be correct, we need a minimum of three points to get promotion as we can't at this juncture get promoted on any less, therefore minimum is correct but also as we don't need 4 or more, 3 points maximum is also correct.
A quite unusual state of grammatical play but true non the less.

Yep, my dad had his car coat, only ever worn when trundling around in his Ford Pop.

fuck me, i thought we'd be arguing about the fact that the BBC have insinuated that we still play overlapping CBs (citing Anel as our best player this season)

But no... minimum or maximum

(i'm team maximum)

My wife was a paralegal for a federal judge and if she says it should be minimum then it's fkin minimum. Also it's the BBC which means they are illiterate and don't do research. BBC also has another meaning, I'm told.
My wife's a Lecturer.

But aren't they all?

brian-baumgartner-badumtss.gif

My dad used the drive lorry chassis without cabs from Bedford back to Sheffield in the 50s, complete with goggles!

This is going to be a fun debate, for what its worth I'd say 'maximum'

I'm going for 'median'

adjective
  1. 1.
    denoting or relating to a value or quantity lying at the midpoint of a frequency distribution of observed values or quantities, such that there is an equal probability of falling above or below it.
    "the median duration of this treatment was four months"

and could it be a Fibonacci sequence
The sequence of numbers, starting with zero and one, is a steadily increasing series where each number is equal to the sum of the preceding two numbers.

o_O 😂

I'm going for 'median'

adjective
  1. 1.
    denoting or relating to a value or quantity lying at the midpoint of a frequency distribution of observed values or quantities, such that there is an equal probability of falling above or below it.
    "the median duration of this treatment was four months"

and could it be a Fibonacci sequence
The sequence of numbers, starting with zero and one, is a steadily increasing series where each number is equal to the sum of the preceding two numbers.

o_O 😂
Don't throw this into the mix, we're Yorkshiremen with a limited vocabulary

Nice article. But we need a minimum of 3 more points, not a maximum.

View attachment 158429
Nowt wrong with that phrasing.

Maximum means "the most possible". We can still 'get a maximum' of 12 points, but we only 'need a maximum' of 3 points. Because 3 points is the most we can possibly need, the other 9 are just nice optional extras.

As it stands, the minimum extra points we could need to be promoted is zero.

Back in August if you'd said we'd get to the business end of the season and we'd be arguing over which is correct, maximum or minimum on the eve of a cup semi final, we'd all have taken that wouldn't we ?
Personally I like to set high standards in every walk of life, so I'd have been aiming for the FA cup semi-final and promotion as a minimum.

Or is it maximum? 🧐

Nowt wrong with that phrasing.

Maximum means "the most possible". We can still 'get a maximum' of 12 points, but we only 'need a maximum' of 3 points. Because 3 points is the most we can possibly need, the other 9 are just nice optional extras.

As it stands, the minimum extra points we could need to be promoted is zero.
But to be 100% sure of promotion we need at least three more points. So 3 points minimum.

Back
Top Bottom