My Take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Exactly this. If we're going to get thumped, I'd rather see a midfield of Coulibally, Arblaster and Berge with Jebbison up front to earn their stripes as opposed to a testimonial for Fleck, Sharp and Norwood which we all know it's going to be!
We are going to lose so it is surely fitting that the three you mention, who have given us so much in the last few years, should get to play one last time at Wembley.
By all means let the youngsters taste it as well, but give the”old ones” their swan song .

he just looked lost and not quite sure what to do first.
Apart from the ball he played to Ndiaye leading to the goal and the cross that he made that should have led to a 2nd goal aside of course?!

There was 1 time in the 1st half actually that I commented on where he had acres to his left to go outside and get a cross in, yet he ran towards goal (and 5 defenders) and was dispossessed. He looked clueless on that occasion, I'll give you that.

We are going to lose so it is surely fitting that the three you mention, who have given us so much in the last few years, should get to play one last time at Wembley.
By all means let the youngsters taste it as well, but give the”old ones” their swan song .

Horrible take. Totally at odds with how we should be thinking.

If we are to lose, why not use it to gain experience, benchmark for next season, give the experience to those that may benefit from it...

Apart from the ball he played to Ndiaye leading to the goal and the cross that he made that should have led to a 2nd goal aside of course?!

There was 1 time in the 1st half actually that I commented on where he had acres to his left to go outside and get a cross in, yet he ran towards goal (and 5 defenders) and was dispossessed. He looked clueless on that occasion, I'll give you that.
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day...

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day...
He's been very poor since his little spell of a few good games earlier in the season, but didn't do much wrong at all last night. Wrong player to pick on for me out of that performance last night. He was better than probably 8 of our outfield players and had a hand in the goal and should have had a hand in a 2nd goal. He played at the back and we didn't concede.

Exactly this. If we're going to get thumped, I'd rather see a midfield of Coulibally, Arblaster and Berge with Jebbison up front to earn their stripes as opposed to a testimonial for Fleck, Sharp and Norwood which we all know it's going to be!
Pitiful but true, a testimonial for the retiring has beens.

He's been very poor since his little spell of a few good games earlier in the season, but didn't do much wrong at all last night. Wrong player to pick on for me out of that performance last night. He was better than probably 8 of our outfield players and had a hand in the goal and should have had a hand in a 2nd goal. He played at the back and we didn't concede.

Not picking on him at all. Just passing on observations. Fully aware he's our only fit LWB and next season is likely to be our starting LWB. Just wish he could improve his game IQ because it's all over the place. Based on last night, if I was going to pick on anyone, it'd probably be McBurnie who I thought offered nothing against a backline who looked terrified everytime we got in their final third.

Horrible take. Totally at odds with how we should be thinking.

If we are to lose, why not use it to gain experience, benchmark for next season, give the experience to those that may benefit from it...
What experience would be gained by a youngster being totally outplayed and out of his depth ? That is a dangerous strategy for a young player’s development.
If we were playing one of the other two teams so we have our two loanees then playing one or two youngsters might work.
Personally I am not really interested in this match. We are not Premiership standard and are playing the best. With luck we will avoid total embarrassment. !

What experience would be gained by a youngster being totally outplayed and out of his depth ? That is a dangerous strategy for a young player’s development.
If we were playing one of the other two teams so we have our two loanees then playing one or two youngsters might work.
Personally I am not really interested in this match. We are not Premiership standard and are playing the best. With luck we will avoid total embarrassment. !
Again horrible take. If you can't see how playing against top top level opposition and seeing how they do things, and how sharp you have to be and how they operate - then you don't have the smarts to be a top professional.

At the start of my track career I raced Linford Christie and got blown away. Learnt more from that defeat than 20+ other races...

Again horrible take. If you can't see how playing against top top level opposition and seeing how they do things, and how sharp you have to be and how they operate - then you don't have the smarts to be a top professional.

At the start of my track career I raced Linford Christie and got blown away. Learnt more from that defeat than 20+ other races...
I agree it might work, but is it right to take that risk ? You made your own choice and had the drive to do it. That is very different to an employer making decisions about young employees. Slowly introducing them to top football over a season is spot on (see McAtee), but throwing them in to a big televised match is different.
I ran against Dave Bedford and took to playing football !!

Cant accept this attitude at all , we are not a fuckin charity, they should only play if they bring summat to the team now or are liable to in the future , the past is past . Only Sharp of the oldies should be anyway near a start , and that is due mainly to McBurnie turning back to shite . Id love Fleck and Norwood to be able to contribute as they used to but thats very unlikely ,hope im wrong tho and one of em comes on and gets the winner !

You asked, so here goes !
Why is Berge worth more than 5 ? It is because he does a reasonable amount of quality work during the whole match.
We all tend to be negative about certain players and because of that don’t take on board(apologies for that phrase) things they do right or well. I think you are doing that with Berge as many also do with McB.
Is Berge really good ? No, but he was better than the mark you gave him last night and ,in my opinion, better than 5.

You haven't explained why. All you've said is 'I think he was better than that mark'. Define 'a reasonable amount of quality work during the match', with examples, please. Picking up the ball and running sideways or backwards isn't that. Neshing out on challenges isn't that. Being a fucking 6 foot traffic cone isn't that.

So, tell us in terms we might agree with you in (because that is the point of a counter argument) what Sander Berge did last night which befits a higher mark

pommpey

Too harsh score for Berge. At times frustrates and appears slow, but sometimes looks genuine quality.
Maybe because he's so big you spot him, more than other players going through a quiet period in the game.
Opposition fans seem to rate him higher than we do. When you watch him live, it's interesting that he draws more attention from opposing midfielders, thereby creating more space for our other players. Whilst there is frustration I think we'd be a worse side without him for various reasons. If we go up, he may blossom more, it will be interesting. Deffo one of the players to build a PL team around imo.

Ridiculous decision last night to start Fleck who lets be honest, hasn’t had a game above average since Arsenal away 2020. I bet he can’t believe his luck how he is still managing to feature this year for us when he’s probably a bang average league one player again but anyway..

Fantastic subs from Hecky, really proactive. Which you can’t say very often. Well done Hecky, that really got us over the line last night 👏

Berge was woeful, apart from the involvement in the goal. Picking the ball up deep, passing it sideways then disappearing. Losing 50/50 tackles to players half his size. Losing the ball when in possession. Weak headers, for his size. Ball watching in 2nd half when defence were under pressure resulting in Egan going absolutely mental at him. In the first half when Doyle looks up to pass Berge (and Fleck) were simply not there to pass to.

Berge was woeful, apart from the involvement in the goal. Picking the ball up deep, passing it sideways then disappearing. Losing 50/50 tackles to players half his size. Losing the ball when in possession. Weak headers, for his size. Ball watching in 2nd half when defence were under pressure resulting in Egan going absolutely mental at him. In the first half when Doyle looks up to pass Berge (and Fleck) were simply not there to pass to.

That's the key to me. Since Didzy exited stage left, we've not had a player who created space, offered an outlet for the Norwood/Doyle role.

There were times last night when Doyle/Anel looked up and their options were try to clip a delicate pass over the fullback for Baldock to run on to or lump it to McBurnie. Berge wouldnt make eye contact and rarely went short and demanded the ball...

My understanding of a Rolls Royce is someone who's relentless in wanting the ball, never gives the ball away, came free from Derby, second name is...

You haven't explained why. All you've said is 'I think he was better than that mark'. Define 'a reasonable amount of quality work during the match', with examples, please. Picking up the ball and running sideways or backwards isn't that. Neshing out on challenges isn't that. Being a fucking 6 foot traffic cone isn't that.

So, tell us in terms we might agree with you in (because that is the point of a counter argument) what Sander Berge did last night which befits a higher mark

pommpey
In order to reply I have watched the extended highlights. In those there are several penetrating passes (forward) including the interchange with Ndiaye which almost gave us a goal.
The moment I liked best was when he challenged for a header(badly) but then stuck into a strong challenge, won the ball and played a really good ball down the wing.
I fully understand your frustrations at the rest of his performance in this match and others, but I don’t think he was any worse than several other players and on balance was “average”.
I will be interested to see his attitude and performance on Saturday when he has a big stage to showcase his oft hidden talents.

Pretty unconvincing win tonight, one of a series of similar triumphs by a single goal where we continually struggled to better somewhat piss poor oppositions who face us and make it look like we are duffing it out with them for a league position near the bottom. The first half was a travesty as we didn't even huff or puff. It was as if Hecky had sent our team on and removed the BL end goal. Our midfield should be the engine of any enterprise but Bristol City were all over it. We just couldn't connect and strategize and it was difficult to see where any proper game plan lived outside of hustle and bustle, coughing up possession cheaply or just being fucking boring with the ball. BCFC weren't Burnley, people. They are mid-table and done for this season and looked it. Mission accomplished. But they smelled blood as soon as we failed to hammer them early and simply snuffed anything we had to offer. At forty you could feel the crowd's frustration at our lack of productivity.

Shit changed in the second half when Hecky brought on McAtee and changed it from 5-3-2 to 3-4-2-1 which at least was a start. We got more onwards toward their box if for fuck all. If it wasn't left to NDaiye to do it all on his own it was centred for McB who is now showing worryingly more McPub these days. We again huffed and puffed and some weak shots came to no effect and worse still, BCFC again started to match us in midfield and at times go up the other end. You know what happens there, don't you? Think Millwall, Blackpool and Huddersfield last season.

Then suddenly its left for the thinkers of the team to finally unlock Brizzle and NDaiye finds McAtee who shows how its done. Bristol could have declared then because they'd chucked their hand in and we get a goal disallowed, bring on more subs and one of them puts a sitter in the kop from 0.5 metres.

Davies 7/10: Impressed with him tonight but still unsure of his overall confidence and capability. Very much o his toes as 'last defender'
Baldock 7/10: Good game from George. Usual committed and solid outing and a billion miles better than Bogle
Anel 6/10: Back in the seat and 'okay' if at times a bit flakey on clearances
Egan 7.5/10: A lot better from Egan. Dealt well with Wiemann and other threats and marshalled things well
Robinson 7/10: Usual blood and guts from him and a sweet feet moment late on
Lowe 5/10: Again, vanilla and timid from him however marginally better
Berge 4/10: Here we go. Same old bland, sideways and unconvincing outing. One brief moment of 'goes past player' then it leads to fucking nothing. Shot into the kop in second half. Someone tell me how I can give this fucking waste of a shirt more than five out of ten, eh? Our game should hinge on him and his obvious yet reluctant ability. Egan seemed to lose his shit at him and he basically coasted through a game where he should be 8/10 and owning that fucking sacred pitch.
Doyle 7/10: Busy little sod. No idea why the fuck he was subbed because I would have run him empty tonight.
Fleck 2/10: Dreadful. Not even Jimmy tonight, just a bloke who has been at the club too long. McAtee would have been a better choice in honesty. Far cleverer player with a better engine and proven threat from his starting position. If he plays on Saturday it will be for comedy value
NDaiye 7/10: It's always left to him, isn't it?
McBurnie 2/10: Really poor. Regressing back to frustrating levels of alehouse stuff and not having much effect as a striker. They had three full backs in their backline tonight which he would have bullied and beaten. Deservedly subbed.

Sharp 6/10: Got stuck in if disappointingly fouled their keeper for a NDaiye disallowed goal
McAtee 7/10: Immediate effect and got himself involved with a great, crucial goal for us. Please keep him.
Norwood 5/10: Clumsy and match rusty. Now past his limited best
Jebbison 1/10: Someone said on shoutbox as Jebbo came on 'I watch Jebbison and keep thinking he'll be destined for better things one day'. Not kicking it over the bar with two thirds of the net and from half a yard he won't. Fucking rubbish. Fallowfield could have scored that. I keep thinking he's not that fucking good and people are just hoping he'll turn it on.

HJ&SMcC 6/10: Shit lineup from the first whistle and no change plan through a bobbar first half. Got the win but is was a struggle where it needn't be. We're gonna get battered on Saturday. Ready your arseholes, Bladesmen.

SUTV - cunts

pommpey
You are a FU--ING IDIOT WHEN IT COMES TO BERGE. He is the far and away best player we have, other than Ndiayi, he's being asked to play more defensive than he should be but still dominating the ball and the game.
At least other teams fans mention how good he is in virtually every other 'views from'.
Now disappear without trace you numb nuts.

You are a FU--ING IDIOT WHEN IT COMES TO BERGE. He is the far and away best player we have, other than Ndiayi, he's being asked to play more defensive than he should be but still dominating the ball and the game.
At least other teams fans mention how good he is in virtually every other 'views from'.
He may be rated by others but has not shown enough over almost three seasons to demonstrate that.
He is not more talented than McAtee and possibly Doyle and whilst I have a higher opinion of him than the OP
I don’t think he is as good as we hoped.
As an aside I don’t think you do yourself any credit in the opening and closing comments.

Reported

pommpey

He may be rated by others but has not shown enough over almost three seasons to demonstrate that.
He is not more talented than McAtee and possibly Doyle and whilst I have a higher opinion of him than the OP
I don’t think he is as good as we hoped.
As an aside I don’t think you do yourself any credit in the opening and closing comments.
I've reported her

pommpey

That's the key to me. Since Didzy exited stage left, we've not had a player who created space, offered an outlet for the Norwood/Doyle role.

There were times last night when Doyle/Anel looked up and their options were try to clip a delicate pass over the fullback for Baldock to run on to or lump it to McBurnie. Berge wouldnt make eye contact and rarely went short and demanded the ball...

My understanding of a Rolls Royce is someone who's relentless in wanting the ball, never gives the ball away, came free from Derby, second name is...
Couttsy really was a Rolls Royce- When him/ Duffy and Fleck were at their best the football was truly glorious- We've seen nothing like that this season albit end result is going to be similar.

Berge was voted along with Egan MOM by the Lincolnshire/Skegness Blades FB group for last night , just saying 🙄

Is that you Sander?

no mate this is an owd wrinkly bugga who knows more about football than any other poster on this forum, I was there when we lifted cup in 1925, as well as when we nearly lifted again in 1936, so be respectful to me.

Wow. In that case isn't there a re-run of Midsomer Murders on you should be watching? Leave discussing football to those of us will full control of our bladders and don't smell of cabbage...

Back
Top Bottom