My Take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Pretty unconvincing win tonight, one of a series of similar triumphs by a single goal where we continually struggled to better somewhat piss poor oppositions who face us and make it look like we are duffing it out with them for a league position near the bottom. The first half was a travesty as we didn't even huff or puff. It was as if Hecky had sent our team on and removed the BL end goal. Our midfield should be the engine of any enterprise but Bristol City were all over it. We just couldn't connect and strategize and it was difficult to see where any proper game plan lived outside of hustle and bustle, coughing up possession cheaply or just being fucking boring with the ball. BCFC weren't Burnley, people. They are mid-table and done for this season and looked it. Mission accomplished. But they smelled blood as soon as we failed to hammer them early and simply snuffed anything we had to offer. At forty you could feel the crowd's frustration at our lack of productivity.

Shit changed in the second half when Hecky brought on McAtee and changed it from 5-3-2 to 3-4-2-1 which at least was a start. We got more onwards toward their box if for fuck all. If it wasn't left to NDaiye to do it all on his own it was centred for McB who is now showing worryingly more McPub these days. We again huffed and puffed and some weak shots came to no effect and worse still, BCFC again started to match us in midfield and at times go up the other end. You know what happens there, don't you? Think Millwall, Blackpool and Huddersfield last season.

Then suddenly its left for the thinkers of the team to finally unlock Brizzle and NDaiye finds McAtee who shows how its done. Bristol could have declared then because they'd chucked their hand in and we get a goal disallowed, bring on more subs and one of them puts a sitter in the kop from 0.5 metres.

Davies 7/10: Impressed with him tonight but still unsure of his overall confidence and capability. Very much o his toes as 'last defender'
Baldock 7/10: Good game from George. Usual committed and solid outing and a billion miles better than Bogle
Anel 6/10: Back in the seat and 'okay' if at times a bit flakey on clearances
Egan 7.5/10: A lot better from Egan. Dealt well with Wiemann and other threats and marshalled things well
Robinson 7/10: Usual blood and guts from him and a sweet feet moment late on
Lowe 5/10: Again, vanilla and timid from him however marginally better
Berge 4/10: Here we go. Same old bland, sideways and unconvincing outing. One brief moment of 'goes past player' then it leads to fucking nothing. Shot into the kop in second half. Someone tell me how I can give this fucking waste of a shirt more than five out of ten, eh? Our game should hinge on him and his obvious yet reluctant ability. Egan seemed to lose his shit at him and he basically coasted through a game where he should be 8/10 and owning that fucking sacred pitch.
Doyle 7/10: Busy little sod. No idea why the fuck he was subbed because I would have run him empty tonight.
Fleck 2/10: Dreadful. Not even Jimmy tonight, just a bloke who has been at the club too long. McAtee would have been a better choice in honesty. Far cleverer player with a better engine and proven threat from his starting position. If he plays on Saturday it will be for comedy value
NDaiye 7/10: It's always left to him, isn't it?
McBurnie 2/10: Really poor. Regressing back to frustrating levels of alehouse stuff and not having much effect as a striker. They had three full backs in their backline tonight which he would have bullied and beaten. Deservedly subbed.

Sharp 6/10: Got stuck in if disappointingly fouled their keeper for a NDaiye disallowed goal
McAtee 7/10: Immediate effect and got himself involved with a great, crucial goal for us. Please keep him.
Norwood 5/10: Clumsy and match rusty. Now past his limited best
Jebbison 1/10: Someone said on shoutbox as Jebbo came on 'I watch Jebbison and keep thinking he'll be destined for better things one day'. Not kicking it over the bar with two thirds of the net and from half a yard he won't. Fucking rubbish. Fallowfield could have scored that. I keep thinking he's not that fucking good and people are just hoping he'll turn it on.

HJ&SMcC 6/10: Shit lineup from the first whistle and no change plan through a bobbar first half. Got the win but is was a struggle where it needn't be. We're gonna get battered on Saturday. Ready your arseholes, Bladesmen.

SUTV - cunts

pommpey

Harsh for Jebbison just for the miss. Billy did same only last week. Match rusty, barely gets a kick, but did more in 2 mins as far as running at defenders is concerned than McFlimsy did in 73
It's not harsh Tarqs, I'd have put that in, championship level centre forwards have to score those, no excuses nothing.

Pretty unconvincing win tonight, one of a series of similar triumphs by a single goal where we continually struggled to better somewhat piss poor oppositions who face us and make it look like we are duffing it out with them for a league position near the bottom. The first half was a travesty as we didn't even huff or puff. It was as if Hecky had sent our team on and removed the BL end goal. Our midfield should be the engine of any enterprise but Bristol City were all over it. We just couldn't connect and strategize and it was difficult to see where any proper game plan lived outside of hustle and bustle, coughing up possession cheaply or just being fucking boring with the ball. BCFC weren't Burnley, people. They are mid-table and done for this season and looked it. Mission accomplished. But they smelled blood as soon as we failed to hammer them early and simply snuffed anything we had to offer. At forty you could feel the crowd's frustration at our lack of productivity.

Shit changed in the second half when Hecky brought on McAtee and changed it from 5-3-2 to 3-4-2-1 which at least was a start. We got more onwards toward their box if for fuck all. If it wasn't left to NDaiye to do it all on his own it was centred for McB who is now showing worryingly more McPub these days. We again huffed and puffed and some weak shots came to no effect and worse still, BCFC again started to match us in midfield and at times go up the other end. You know what happens there, don't you? Think Millwall, Blackpool and Huddersfield last season.

Then suddenly its left for the thinkers of the team to finally unlock Brizzle and NDaiye finds McAtee who shows how its done. Bristol could have declared then because they'd chucked their hand in and we get a goal disallowed, bring on more subs and one of them puts a sitter in the kop from 0.5 metres.

Davies 7/10: Impressed with him tonight but still unsure of his overall confidence and capability. Very much o his toes as 'last defender'
Baldock 7/10: Good game from George. Usual committed and solid outing and a billion miles better than Bogle
Anel 6/10: Back in the seat and 'okay' if at times a bit flakey on clearances
Egan 7.5/10: A lot better from Egan. Dealt well with Wiemann and other threats and marshalled things well
Robinson 7/10: Usual blood and guts from him and a sweet feet moment late on
Lowe 5/10: Again, vanilla and timid from him however marginally better
Berge 4/10: Here we go. Same old bland, sideways and unconvincing outing. One brief moment of 'goes past player' then it leads to fucking nothing. Shot into the kop in second half. Someone tell me how I can give this fucking waste of a shirt more than five out of ten, eh? Our game should hinge on him and his obvious yet reluctant ability. Egan seemed to lose his shit at him and he basically coasted through a game where he should be 8/10 and owning that fucking sacred pitch.
Doyle 7/10: Busy little sod. No idea why the fuck he was subbed because I would have run him empty tonight.
Fleck 2/10: Dreadful. Not even Jimmy tonight, just a bloke who has been at the club too long. McAtee would have been a better choice in honesty. Far cleverer player with a better engine and proven threat from his starting position. If he plays on Saturday it will be for comedy value
NDaiye 7/10: It's always left to him, isn't it?
McBurnie 2/10: Really poor. Regressing back to frustrating levels of alehouse stuff and not having much effect as a striker. They had three full backs in their backline tonight which he would have bullied and beaten. Deservedly subbed.

Sharp 6/10: Got stuck in if disappointingly fouled their keeper for a NDaiye disallowed goal
McAtee 7/10: Immediate effect and got himself involved with a great, crucial goal for us. Please keep him.
Norwood 5/10: Clumsy and match rusty. Now past his limited best
Jebbison 1/10: Someone said on shoutbox as Jebbo came on 'I watch Jebbison and keep thinking he'll be destined for better things one day'. Not kicking it over the bar with two thirds of the net and from half a yard he won't. Fucking rubbish. Fallowfield could have scored that. I keep thinking he's not that fucking good and people are just hoping he'll turn it on.

HJ&SMcC 6/10: Shit lineup from the first whistle and no change plan through a bobbar first half. Got the win but is was a struggle where it needn't be. We're gonna get battered on Saturday. Ready your arseholes, Bladesmen.

SUTV - cunts

pommpey
Agree with all of that Pomps, thanks again fir your efforts. Particularly worrying to see McB looking as shite as he was at his worst. I just dont get it, he began to look like a player a couple of months ago but apart from defensive headers offers zip.

Harsh for Jebbison just for the miss. Billy did same only last week. Match rusty, barely gets a kick, but did more in 2 mins as far as running at defenders is concerned than McFlimsy did in 73
Absolutely true. Jebbo needs game time to show what he can do.

Second. Ok, Berge, I figured it out. Sit down for this. He's a Rolls Royce player that the manager, players, fans, tea ladies, opposition, aliens etc haven't seen...yet. But, in their, somewhere is a world beater, a 100 million pound bargain, desperate for .....who am I kidding, he is big, can't jump, has one or two runs a game, throws up a shot in the general goal area, ( hits the target once or twice a season), never gets angry, never looks like he is about to go over the edge, never lets a player know he's been in a game never mind a challenge. Infuriating, pedestrian and I hipe he reads this is says fine I'll show you what I'm about and fk Man City over. Surely to god he has one game where he turns a performance that shocks everyone that we think he's Maradona. Not holding my breath though. Oh, good report Pommps

Thought he was a waste of time again for the majority.

Even egan was bollocking him for not offering owt.
He certainly divides opinion.
I thought Egan was good tonight… and if he feels he needs to voice his opinion about a particular passage of play then good, we want leaders on the pitch. But that doesn’t mean Sander has offered nothing all game.
Robbo was great again.
McAtee is pure class and completely altered our dynamic. And what a finish!! Was a close call for (my) MOTM.
Ndiaye was awesome as always.
And I thought Billy looked great when he came on! Roll on that 250th he thoroughly deserves it!
Good win in the end and I’m going to bed happy tonight. 👍

Cheers pommpey fair enough assessment though probably a bit harsh with the scores here and there. I found it a frustrating and perplexing game. Stats for the first half were even steven. But stats don't tell the full story. First half was brutal to watch. We looked like a team just put together for the match. It never ceases to amaze me that we don't seem to be able to play attacking football as a cohesive unit.

Regarding individuals. Anel again was excellent at the last ditch tackle in the box in the first half. That's a number of times he has done that this season. Ndiaye, we all like the lad as he puts the effort in and should have got a few more frees for his ability to shield the ball. Sometimes he takes too much on and ends up in a cul de sac.
One weakness in his game is that he keeps looking at his magic feet when on the ball and doesn't get his head up to see what is on.

Doyle was decent in a midfield that was like a strainer. We were leaking everywhere. I know this might upset the Berge fanclub but 3 or 4 good contributions over 90 minutes does not elevate him to Rolls Royce status. At best he is like a Renault 25. Big, comfortable, runs out of juice regularly and likes to stall in traffic. He also shirked a 50 50 ball which is embarrassing considering his size. Maybe tackling was overlooked in his contract.

McBurnie at times did some nice things which was a surprise to himself even. He just doesn't have it. One thing that puzzles me is what they must be doing in training because I can't fathom what our style of play is. We are just not slick when on the ball. We are going up alright no doubt, I hope that we can get in some new young players and rebuild the team. I am not advocating spending big money, there are enough players in the championship that would improve our team without breaking the bank.

Another good read was up at 4:45am to watch this on my hols in Melbourne shit internet thanks ibis .. I know you get what you pay for .. fair play to Brizzle they looked decent first 20 mins not sure if it's luck or a we are just better than previous seasons? I felt if we went one down we would struggle however we don't ship many in these days.

A win is a win

Can't argue with the scores

UTB

Accurate score score for Berge. Thought he was too static tonight, lacked any purpose or intent to get it forred.

So pedestrian in midfield today it was unbelievable. No one wanted it, no one willing to drive forward and take a risk. Just timid square balls with it until we lose possession and invite pressure on ourselves.

Frustrating, but 3 points is 3 points as we edge ever closer to securing promotion.

UTB

FFS don't renew McB's contract.
Get a fee for Saunter Berge before his contract has less than 12 mths to run.
Put Fleck on a park bench somewhere.
DCL looked like Bambi on Ice but blossomed after we gave him away for tuppence , so give Jebbo some chance to develop by playing him and get a good young striker in , two if Brewster can be written off by the hamstring insurance company.
Get rid of the dead wood and start thinking seriously about building a side which can win the Championship in 2025 - get McAtee on loan again & buy Doyle , keep Ndiaye.

Pretty much spot on, he's definitely looking more like mcpub with each passing game,maybe carrying an injury and hecky has limited option's, Berge looks like a player with no confidence in his abilities and l don't think he's finding it any time soon.
I can’t think of any other player as big as berge get the ball took of him as many times as he does and as for getting up for a header, Jesus Christ

Match went as I thought it would.

First half:
When United have breathing space, they relax and go through the motions.
The players seemed to have this attitude of conserving energy for the semi-final and wanting to get to half-time at 0-0.
Bristol City slightly the better side and controlling midfield, fortunately their final ball was poor and when it was good we defended well.
Thought our midfield was so disjointed and Fleck looked really unfit as though he was injured.
At half-time we all agreed that Fleck hasn't been the same player since he collapsed on the pitch away at Reading.

Second half:
Surely we'd show more energy and desire kicking towards the Kop. Thankfully we did.
McAtee came on for Fleck and instantly we looked more dangerous and played with a higher tempo.
This was much better but we still don't look anything special. We followed our usual formula of average play and relying on players to produce top quality.
Then when we went 1-0 up, our defence is very strong and we were never in any danger of conceding in a professional deserved win.

Thought McAtee played really well, now one of our main threats. Doyle was good too.
Very disappointed with McBurnie, tonight he looked like a pub player and all he could offer was nuisance value, pushing, pulling and falling down.
I said at half-time it's kind of embarrassing to think this player could be playing in the PL next season when he struggles with basic control of a ball.

Really don’t agree on Berge, he actually helped control most of the play second half in comparison to usual, he didn’t exactly do much wrong, though first half he was again pretty anonymous and ponderous. I feel though this was more down to Fleck being on the pitch, he’s simply done.

I felt for Doyle first half as he had the job of covering for pretty much the entire team (not just midfield) first half, it was bizarre how awful and leggy the team was first half and a miracle we weren’t punished.

Also incredibly harsh on young Jebbo based off of a few minutes, awful miss but ffs a 1/10? That’s just plain ridiculous and a bit stupid.

Cheers Pomps.

Not a great performance, as you state, but if we go up, this is how we’ve done it. Keep it tight, nick a goal.

As an attacking force, we weren’t great, but we restricted them to 4 shots, 3 of which were blocked. Their second half xG was 0.04, which is pitiful. Our defense makes it so we often have a chance.

I’d slightly disagree on a couple of ratings.

Berge to me was not bad, not great. 5.5/10

I liked Norwood when he came on. The silly foul on the edge of the box aside, he brought urgency and put in some good balls (cross for Ndiaye “goal”, pre-“assist” for Jebbo chance. He also won two tackles, which may not seem high, but Doyle, Berge, and Fleck had just one between the three of them.

Don’t think Doyle was quite at his best tonight. Probably 6/10 for me.

Egan my MOTM. Played and behaved like a proper captain, and a big part of why they didn’t ever look like scoring.

UTB

Jebbo May have missed a sitter but he offered more than mcburnie all game. He took on and beat the Bristol city defender and slotted a lovely pass for Sharp who hit it wide. I want to see more of him in the coming games
Jebbo looked distraught and was being consoled at the end for missing that sitter.
Keep getting in those places and the goals will come Jebbo.

Back
Top Bottom