Moronic Fans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I can remember when a goal could be heard out of my bathroom window, with much the same crowd figures - less even. Today I went out of the 2Fly studios to go to my car just after 4pm. i knew we were at home but I walked down a little way to double check the road was shut or for other signs of life etc... you could've heard a pin drop, not a murmur...and when I was maybe 40yards from the BL/JS junction, we scored. I have heard cheers louder from my house three miles away. I think that tells you all you need to kmow about the 'fans' who go currently.

I could hear a goal being scored at Swillsborough in the 1970's with only 8,000 there. I live in Crookes/Walkley area.
No roof on the kop meant the noise went straight up towards Walkley but you probably couldn't hear a thing on Penistone Road next to the stadium.
Now that the roof is on the kop I cant hear anything from Hillsborough at all

I could hear a goal being scored at Swillsborough in the 1970's with only 8,000 there. I live in Crookes/Walkley area.
No roof on the kop meant the noise went straight up towards Walkley but you probably couldn't hear a thing on Penistone Road next to the stadium.
Now that the roof is on the kop I cant hear anything from Hillsborough at all
I was on John Street, 40 yards from the corner of JS/BL when the goal went in....

Booing a team who they claim to support and who are winning, shit for brains the lot of them, it's a trend that's grown with the Sky generation and legions of plastic fans.

Unfortunately not, Paulus. I remember back in the 70's when we had a really good team, people would boo. It's not a concious 'I'll upset the players to make them feel bad' thing. It's frustration, pure and simple, and booing has always been part of the make-up of a football crowd.

Just watched TFLS and it's obvious that there's some very good teams in this division (and watch Coventry go from September on). Funny that all these teams have lost players, brought plenty in but don't seem to have problems gelling. (Also, in the Championship, the level of investment is frightening - Forest etc. are really going for it and we fall further behind with every passing year.)

Yes, we played bad yesterday (fuck me! Time for bed!) and scraped a win. But this was an example of 'papering over the cracks'. Playing like that and we'll lose more than we win.

Anyway, it was obvious that yesterday's game was all about planning for the future. In the next close season, we won't need to splash out on a new pitch - just repair the worn areas at the corner flags. :D

Night all.

The booing shows the level of expectation this season, playing negatively vs a so called lesser team shows fear, not just the ball in the corners but taking forward players off to shore up the midfield ie reed on.
I'm no advocate of defensive football like this, but at this stage of the season with team confidence visibly fragile, it was probably the right thing to do, result first and foremost, clean sheet will build confidence and momentum, so in a few games when there's more team confidence instead of protecting the lead we will be pushing for extending the lead because we will have more belief we can defend if a move breaks down, which at this time I don't think we have.
Onwards and upwards
UTB

Like a great many others I want us out of this league - if that means we get a bit negative towards the end and injury time so be it (if we had been over ambitious at that stage and conceded the pages would be full of people saying we were naive)- we need to beat these sides, ugly if necessary but beat them. It would be nice if we got a bit more prolific and weren't defending a solitary goal lead come added time but at that point they had nothing to lose and we did.

The point is we have 6 points from the last 2 games and I expected us to rack up no more than 1 out of those after the first 2 games so I am happy enough - the result is what gets remembered. We are above Orient, pulled a couple of points back on Bristol, have gone above Crawley and the team we beat midweek had a good away win at Bradford. This season was never going to be a cakewalk but, apart from the season in division 4, when has it ever been really different. This is Sheffield United - its always been an agonising roller-coaster ride and not a soft option. Surely we are used to it by now.

Like a great many others I want us out of this league - if that means we get a bit negative towards the end and injury time so be it (if we had been over ambitious at that stage and conceded the pages would be full of people saying we were naive)- we need to beat these sides, ugly if necessary but beat them. It would be nice if we got a bit more prolific and weren't defending a solitary goal lead come added time but at that point they had nothing to lose and we did.

The point is we have 6 points from the last 2 games and I expected us to rack up no more than 1 out of those after the first 2 games so I am happy enough - the result is what gets remembered. We are above Orient, pulled a couple of points back on Bristol, have gone above Crawley and the team we beat midweek had a good away win at Bradford. This season was never going to be a cakewalk but, apart from the season in division 4, when has it ever been really different. This is Sheffield United - its always been an agonising roller-coaster ride and not a soft option. Surely we are used to it by now.
It is clear to me that the team presently lack some confidence and self belief. It is difficult playing at home when Crawley (and most teams) come and play 10 men behind the ball; however once we had scored it was a different game. They had to come out and that gave us some space to play in and we should have been 2 or 3 goals up by the end. As last season we do not seem to be able to kill teams off as we do not take our chances. Hopefully with 2 wins the confidence of last season will return, the crowd will get behind the team and " time wasting" with nearly 10 minutes to go will be a thing of the past.

Booing a team who they claim to support and who are winning, shit for brains the lot of them, it's a trend that's grown with the Sky generation and legions of plastic fans.
I remember being surprised that there were a lot of old men booing our players for missing chances near where I sat in the BLUT in our 2-0 win against Preston in January 1970. John Flynn got a lot of stick for his "safety first" backpasses to the keeper despite having plenty of time and space to play the ball to a team mate. When we were above Wendy for most of the 1970s there were some of my dad's friends criticising the Blades and praising Wendy even though they have always been Blades fans!

No booing from me.

Was watching the BBC live update website and Gillette Soccer Saturday. Just delighted with the win, but wou;d have preferred another goal.

Baxter's strike lovely. As usual sod all said by Clarrdge et al.

Keeping the ball in the corner as the other team get more desperate is football ,football isn't just a 25 yard shot in the top corner or an over head kick or a mazy dribble. Football is a combination of tackling, passing, heading, shooting all sorts of different abilities ,and keeping the ball in corner for 10 minutes restricting the other desperate team to just one foray into our half is good football. It is also what won us the game ,I must be the one of a few who enjoy seeing the opposition getting more and more desperate as they cant get the ball as you count down the clock. Unfortunately modern day fans think football is all about Soccer am's skill school and unbelievable Tekkers ,and flash players in dayglo boots. The 'ugly' side has a place too and football would be less entertaining without it.

Booing your own side, one nil up after a rough start of the season, is shit support.

You can talk about our numbers, talk about other clubs apparently doing it, say whatever you want. It's shit support.

My doomsday worry is that a decent championship club (there's 10 or so with crowds/potential like ours), with moderate resource, reasonable expectations but not too high will come in for Clough mid season. Some of our fans will be ripping our players to shreds each week for not winning 4-0 against little old Crawley, and he'll f@&k off trying to build something and take an easier option.

If people boo there must be a reason.they pay hard earned money to be entertained.

So okay that means never cross a ball all game as that happens ever time !!

What's your cut off time during the game then Einstein ??

depends on the circumstances, yesterday was vital we won , to notch up that first home win so being professional means erring on the cautious side , dont need to be Einstein , its not rocket science , we just had to avoid giving them the opportunity to stop us winning

I didn't boo...but I could understand the frustration at HT after another very poor 45 mins. Second half was better. Personally I didn't like the time wasting with 5 mins to go when were were in a good position to go for a 2nd - although it was more understandable when we did it in added time. I do think Clough's approach is worryingly negative though. Having said that we won - and winning is always the most important thing for me.

Whilst I don't like to see us doing this sort of thing I understand the need to secure the 3 points and to be fair we WERE playing shit yesterday so we were more likely to be bitten by a lettuce than score again !!

It does give me more than a little pleasure to have beaten a team who were timewasting from the first 5 minutes. Jensen in their goal, managed to take 5 mins to place the ball for every goal kick; he certainly learned to do it quicker when Baxter planted that peach past him in the second half.

We must improve our finishing though, 3 missed chances and we put OURSELVES under pressure by not finishing the job when we have the opportunity !! We also look very pedestrian at the moment, no pace anywhere in the team and other sides we have faced all seem to have at least a couple of pacey players that cause us problems.
UTB & FTP

Got nothing wrong with the boo's, its sometimes the only way the fans can get there feelings across to players/ coaching staff, I was shocked how poor they were on Saturday and to cap it off they even timed wasted, even when Crawley weren't threatening us?
Fans have a right to be upset when good money is spent to watch the game, the players need reminding from time to time that the fans ALWAYS COME FIRST!

While booing in that situation is completely idiotic, one of my favourite moments of last season was at the Forest game where Murphy, with just Porter in the box as we were holding out for a win, would have been completely within right to run the ball into the corner. Instead, some great determination and acceleration took him to the byline where he was able to square for Porter to tap in and kill the game completely.

Yes, we're not a great team, but even a League 1 team is capable of doing that against a then inform team from the league above. It's likely a confidence thing - Saturday was about getting our home form back on track after the disappointment vs Bristol City. It's results like that which will build the confidence where we're not having to hold the ball in the corner. Gradual steps - I'm delighted with a win, and pleased to see a clean sheet given the defence has had shaky moments so far.

Whilst I don't like to see us doing this sort of thing I understand

It does give me more than a little pleasure to have beaten a team who were timewasting from the first 5 minutes. Jensen in their goal, managed to take 5 mins to place the ball for every goal kick; he certainly learned to do it quicker when Baxter planted that peach
UTB & FTP

salient point , they were time wasting up to Baxter scoring, so 45 minutes longer then we did

Got nothing wrong with the boo's, its sometimes the only way the fans can get there feelings across to players/ coaching staff, I was shocked how poor they were on Saturday and to cap it off they even timed wasted, even when Crawley weren't threatening us?
Fans have a right to be upset when good money is spent to watch the game, the players need reminding from time to time that the fans ALWAYS COME FIRST!
Crawley weren't threatening us because of the way we were keeping the ball and holding it effectively not in spite of.

I dislike booing. Negative emotion is such a waste of energy and rarely induces anything positive.

what frustrated me was we were fannying about, attack the best form of defence and all that and they still nearly scored in the last second hitting the inside of the post.

Lets 0-0 our way to the title lads
Get john beck in charge keep it in the corners ,dont cut the grass ,cold showers in the away team dressing rooms and man eating tigers in their half of the pitch

Booing a player, from either team, is akin to the act of a petulant child who has not gotten his or her own way.

As for grown men doing it, read wankers.

UTB

Booing a player, from either team, is akin to the act of a petulant child who has not gotten his or her own way.

As for grown men doing it, read wankers.

UTB

How would you prefer that people express their displeasure? Throw things? leave the ground? Or are we to sit there in silence?

Back
Top Bottom