CONFIRMED Mitchell gone

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Following PM's departure questions arise as to how SUFC manage player ins and outs. At virtually every EPL and some Championship Clubs overall responsibility lies with a Sporting Director including contract negotiations. At SUFC the operation is shrouded in mystery with no one ever asking the powers that be the direct question " so how does it all work?"

We are left to speculate on whether El Accounto is correct in his assertion that all the scouting is done by UW and the analysts that worked for PM are now relegated to match analysis. If that were true you wonder why a parting of the ways with PM didn't occur sooner.

Todays statement makes no mention of appointing a successor only restructuring. So what are the options. Below I've given 3. The first I suspect was similar to PM's original role reporting direct to CW. The second it could be argued was how the role evolved when PA took an active role in the workings of the Club with his transfer committee and the third is what it may have become following Vanharens interventions whilst at UW.

If the third model is in place then who is managing the process following Vanharens departure? Or has this concept fallen by the wayside as UW's portfolio diminishes. There are grounds for arguing the most recent incomings from abroad can not be laid solely at PM's door if this is what he has had to contend with. Equally bearing in mind his previous iterations about not being consulted how does CW fit into this? Unfortunately the preferred fourth option of starting with a blank piece of paper and appointing a Sporting Director appears to be off the table under the present regime.

"So what does restructuring the recruitment department mean Mr Bettis and how does it all fit together?" Another interview with Staton on RS would go some way to explaining if there is a vision going forward or a make do and mend approach until the Club is sold.

Head of Recruitment role - Professional Football Scouts Association UK definition similar to most EFL structures.

Develop a network of scouting contacts regionally, nationally and/or internationally.

Build positive relationships with professionals within football such as agents and clubs.
Recruit, organise and manage a team of scouts to support the academy and first team to ensure that they carry out their roles and responsibilities within the parameters of the club and player profiling requirements.
Liaise with the academy manager/coaching staff and/or first-team manager/coaching staff.
Talent identification and recruitment of emerging players that meet the club’s strategic vision.
Produce a database of players from other football clubs or from the ‘grassroots’ level which would meet the club's player profiling requirements and budget.
Attend regular meetings and report the progress of these identified players to the academy manager/coaching staff and/or first-team manager/coaching staff with set targets.

Recruitment Model - Beerschot 2022

At a technical level, we are going to work with a technical committee starting this season,” That committee consists of four people: coach Andreas Wieland, Technical Manager Sander Van Praet, Academy Manager Davy De Smedt and CEO Frédéric Van den Steen. They will work closely with the ‘Football Business Development’ of United World for all technical decisions and strategy. On top of that, Beerschot has recruited its own Belgian scouts who will scout for us.”

CEO Frédéric Van den Steen has to ensure the good cooperation between these two bodies. At United World, Abdullah Alghamdi (CEO), Oliver Seitz (Business Intelligence Director), Tamer Saudi (Asset Management Director) and Steven Vanharen (Director of Recruitment) are part of the ‘Football Business Development’.
They are assisted by United World’s scouting apparatus.

Recruitment Model - Steven Vanharen Director of Recruitment United World - left 2023

I installed a new recruitment methodology, using a mix of data, video and live scouting. Creating player profiles, for each club specific but within the UW philosophy. I introduced a new football philosophy, identity and training methodology in the UW clubs. Building bridges between the different clubs and managing the technical directors, head coaches and recruitment team.

I Set clear goals towards the development and expansion of the UW football philosophy and recruitment strategies,
restructured the existing academy models, bringing the youth teams and talent development closer to the first team. The internal recruitment processes were re written and implemented. The recruitment team was expanded from 4 to 10 scouts worldwide, a centralization of the data of all clubs was implemented, we introduced a uniform way of scouting + an efficient recruitment process.

“Going Again” is up there with “An Honest Bunch” as Wilder speak. I still don’t have a clue what either phrase means.

“Going Again” is up there with “An Honest Bunch” as Wilder speak. I still don’t have a clue what either phrase means.
Wilders comments & interview today tells me that he’ll be here next season! Like it or not.

I was actually told that our #1 target in 2019 was Jack Grealish (and allegedly he was open, who tf knows if thats true), but that scuppered when Villa got promoted themselves in the playoffs.

That wouldn’t surprise me. Paul Mitchell was talking about Grealish well before he joined United.

If he has gone it would infer ( in my opinion ) that CW is not far behind.
He is a CW man and part of his team

Or CW is being told to concentrate on the first team and everything else is being taken out if his hands

Does this open the door to a restructure that results in us having a DoF? If so, what are people's feelings about the role? Necessary in the modern game? No need? Necessary evil? A great addition that should have been implemented 12 months ago?

Assuming we are going down this route, who / what characteristics make for a good DoF?
I reckon Wilder as DoF and Hecky back as first team coach - that’s the kind of restructuring you can imagine Bettis conjuring up. God knows how he has survived so long!

Thought we had interviews done according to Bettis.

Why are we leaving it so late?

Back
Top Bottom