McBurnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Aye right. That many easy to get confused.

Still not sure why you'd need to wait?

It wasn't an impact injury so 4 or 5 days to get a scan?

I expect the 'be out for a while' next week joining Anel, Egan, Bash, Davies etc as ones we won't see for ages.

McBurnie has been one of few plusses this season but once again is constantly crocked so you can see why the club might not give him a new deal. He barely plays a run of games ever. Been the same every season. However I'd still keep him over lots of others out of contract.

With him out will be desperate stuff with the strikers we have left. None are anywhere near this level in terms of physicality, ball retention, strength and know how.

I'd play one up top on Saturday and tell Brewster/Archer they have a half each to just run around.

Aye right. That many easy to get confused.

Still not sure why you'd need to wait?

It wasn't an impact injury so 4 or 5 days to get a scan?

I expect the 'be out for a while' next week joining Anel, Egan, Bash, Davies etc as ones we won't see for ages.

McBurnie has been one of few plusses this season but once again is constantly crocked so you can see why the club might not give him a new deal. He barely plays a run of games ever. Been the same every season. However I'd still keep him over lots of others out of contract.

With him out will be desperate stuff with the strikers we have left. None are anywhere near this level in terms of physicality, ball retention, strength and know how.

I'd play one up top on Saturday and tell Brewster/Archer they have a half each to just run around.
Very poor by management to have no replacement for McBurnie. Anyone with an ounce of sense could see this was a priority with his injury and suspension record.

Very poor by management to have no replacement for McBurnie. Anyone with an ounce of sense could see this was a priority with his injury and suspension record.

I'm going to guess that the idea was to either:

a) have Jebbison or Osula fulfil that role
b) use a loan signing to bring in someone with a bit more experience before we "needed" to go and get Thomas

Also love Dronnie describing a chance that barely gets scored a third of the time on average gilt edged

I'm going to guess that the idea was to either:

a) have Jebbison or Osula fulfil that role
b) use a loan signing to bring in someone with a bit more experience before we "needed" to go and get Thomas

Also love Dronnie describing a chance that barely gets scored a third of the time on average gilt edged
Q. How many genuinely good chances spurned this season with headers / shots (in the lamest sense of the word !), straight at the keeper ?

A. Too many !

UTB

Q. How many genuinely good chances spurned this season with headers / shots (in the lamest sense of the word !), straight at the keeper ?

A. Too many !

UTB
Our problem, (has been for an awful long time) is the lack of creativity.
We create a ridiculously small amount of chances compared to other teams.

I'm going to do something weird here, use stats instead of my own opinion (or agenda against a certain player).

You're saying he's spurned too many chances....
OM's xg (expected goals) this season is 2.16
Actual goals is 1.

So if he'd have scored the chances he'd be expected to take this season, he'd have 2 goals instead of 1.
Hardly horrendous that is it?

1698413911131.png

If we start creating more chances (which I can't see us doing any time soon without an overhaul of personnel to coincide with a change in system) and our strikers aren't converting said chances, then criticism should rightly come their way.

Absolutely walks in that Scotland 11. Clearly Clarke doesn't want to upset the nobhead supporters. Adams, Dykes, Stewart, Shankland and Brown aren't no better as stats suggest.

Absolutely walks in that Scotland 11. Clearly Clarke doesn't want to upset the nobhead supporters. Adams, Dykes, Stewart, Shankland and Brown aren't no better as stats suggest.

Scotland fans are still hilariously delusional about the standard of their team and league.

They regularly big up domestic-based players over those playing in the Premier League, since a lot are convinced there's no difference between the standard of the Premier League and the SPL.

Case in point: they have zero interest in Premier League strikers Jacob Brown, Oli McBurnie or Che Adams, but reckon 'Lawrence Shankland' is the best thing since sliced bread and should play over all of them. That's the 28 year-old whose only season outside of Scotland saw him bang in 5 goals in 28 games for Beerschot.

Yes, our Beerschot.

Scotland fans are still hilariously delusional about the standard of their team and league.

They regularly big up domestic-based players over those playing in the Premier League, since a lot are convinced there's no difference between the standard of the Premier League and the SPL.

Case in point: they have zero interest in Premier League strikers Jacob Brown, Oli McBurnie or Che Adams, but reckon 'Lawrence Shankland' is the best thing since sliced bread and should play over all of them. That's the 28 year-old whose only season outside of Scotland saw him bang in 5 goals in 28 games for Beerschot.

Yes, our Beerschot.
Brown 219 games lge & international 37 gls
Adams 325 app 78 gls
Shankland 329app 150 gls
McBurnie 259 app 60 gls

Adams 325 app 78 gls
Shankland 329app 150 gls
McBurnie 259 app 60 gls

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove there. 120 of those appearances (ignoring as always that counting a five minute cameo and a full 90 minutes both as an "appearance" and the same thing is fucking stupid) were in the Scottish Championship. A further 77 were in even lower divisions of Scottish fitba, and another 26 were in Belgium. Shankland's only probably played a dozen games against teams that are even remotely comparable to actually decent opposition. How many do you think McBurnie would have scored against the same opponents?

Edit - not saying for one minute that Shankland didn't have a good season last year, but plenty of players run hotter than the sun for one season. David Nugent has an England cap.

Adams 325 app 78 gls
Shankland 329app 150 gls
McBurnie 259 app 60 gls
1700820274539.png

Based on that, you'd take Ché Adams as first choice as he's got the best record in the best division. McBurnie is second then it's a toss up between Brown and Shankland.

There's an argument that the Jupiler Pro League is better than the Championship but there's probably not much in it. The Scottish Premiership sits below both.

View attachment 175101

Based on that, you'd take Ché Adams as first choice as he's got the best record in the best division. McBurnie is second then it's a toss up between Brown and Shankland.

There's an argument that the Jupiler Pro League is better than the Championship but there's probably not much in it. The Scottish Premiership sits below both.
To me that chart screams "The PL is a level too high for McBurnie", though he's not the worst player on there of course.

To me that chart screams "The PL is a level too high for McBurnie", though he's not the worst player on there of course.
It's not just the chart screaming that at me, it's also noticable that he's underperformed his xG by quite a bit in each season at this level*. Can't fault his attitude or application and there's no shame in it but McBurnie's just not quick enough, strong enough or sharp enough. The step from the Championship to the Premier League is a big one, particularly for forwards.

*from fbref
2019/20 Goals 6, xG 7.7
2020/21 Goals 1, xG 3.9
2023/24 Goals 1, xG 1.8 (excluding penalties 0 / 1.1)

Scotland fans are still hilariously delusional about the standard of their team
I think it's more that Clarke has a real unity in the team now with plenty players saying international breaks are a highlight of the season for them. You can see the logic that players born and bred in Scotland are more likely to buy into the 'give everything for the shirt' ethos rather than McBurnie who doesn't seem particularly invested. Obviously there is a strong core of lads with English accents in there now, but they've proven that they love playing for Scotland. Why upset that with bringing in a player who has been heard on camera saying he doesn't want to get called up?

More an injury related debate than just McBurnie although it is a running theme. You do wonder with the niggles that seem to be a few weeks out here and a few there is it down to the training ground or is it the climate that they are being introduced back too in training. We have at the moment "United World" although a few teams mainly Châteauroux and Beerschot reportedly are looking to separate. It would still leave the Dubai based Al-Hilal United. Both Châteauroux and Beerschot have in general mild all year round weather with Dubai being especially warm in the winter. Rather than rehabilitate at a cold Shirecliffe, could we not look at our affiliated clubs, not to send them there for a loan but for warm weather recovery if its going to be more than a few weeks.

I think it's more that Clarke has a real unity in the team now with plenty players saying international breaks are a highlight of the season for them. You can see the logic that players born and bred in Scotland are more likely to buy into the 'give everything for the shirt' ethos rather than McBurnie who doesn't seem particularly invested. Obviously there is a strong core of lads with English accents in there now, but they've proven that they love playing for Scotland. Why upset that with bringing in a player who has been heard on camera saying he doesn't want to get called up?
My point is more that Scotland fans seem to deem the likes of Brown and McBurnie shite because they play in England (and were born in England), when in actual fact they're Scotland's best strikers.

My point is more that Scotland fans seem to deem the likes of Brown and McBurnie shite because they play in England (and were born in England), when in actual fact they're Scotland's best strikers.
Jacob Brown did nothing when he played the other day. Dykes and Adams are clearly the best attacking options for Scotland at the moment, but ultimately we are not blessed with top class strikers in any leagues. Goals are coming from midfield, which is fine whilst McTominay is on form but I think that's probably his purple patch done now

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove there. 120 of those appearances (ignoring as always that counting a five minute cameo and a full 90 minutes both as an "appearance" and the same thing is fucking stupid) were in the Scottish Championship. A further 77 were in even lower divisions of Scottish fitba, and another 26 were in Belgium. Shankland's only probably played a dozen games against teams that are even remotely comparable to actually decent opposition. How many do you think McBurnie would have scored against the same opponents?

Edit - not saying for one minute that Shankland didn't have a good season last year, but plenty of players run hotter than the sun for one season. David Nugent has an England cap.
I'm not trying to prove anything, just giving the stats on all 4 players, so people can see them, whether thats fucking stupid, as you call it or not.
In my opinion (if you'll allow me one) McBurnie just as worthy a place in the Scottish squad/team as any of them.

Ok going to ask it because everyone probably thinking it...

Anyone else think that bringing Mcburnie back in would actually slow us down and make us less dangerous on the break/counter.

Should we stick with Archer and Osula for remainder of season as our main two up front (especially when looking to the future and that Oli Mac could potentially sign a pre contract for Rangers or another overseas team in less than 30 days)

Anyone else think that bringing Mcburnie back in would actually slow us down and make us less dangerous on the break/counter.

Should we stick with Archer and Osula for remainder of season as our main two up front (especially when looking to the future and that Oli Mac could potentially sign a pre contract for Rangers or another overseas team in less than 30 days)
100%

It's just nice to have different options for the first time in a long while

You could make the case for dropping Archer as he most likely won't be here next season. Wilder said in one of his interviews we won't be a counter team, considering we have often looked alot better with Mcburnie in the team I'm looking forward to him coming back into this revitalised team. Reality is there will probably be alot of rotation up top.

Absolutely we have to play Osula, it’s his shirt to lose now. McBurnie has got to be satisfied with being an impact sub, well sub anyway. What’s more he’s only got himself to blame for that

Dump him on the bench when he’s available. Just when we needed some leadership up front and a big game from him against a relegation rival away from home, his attitude and performance were abysmal. He totally let the team, the manager and the fans down.

Back
Top Bottom