Latest from Kevin McCabe

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Some of the comments that defend McCabe are just ridiculous. Demanding that someone name a successor as a prequisite to critisicm is pathetic - there isn't a list of multi-millionaires desperate to waste half their fortune on a failing football club, so just where is someone supposed to get a name from? Besides anything else, it's McCabe (and not "bad luck") who's taken us to this dire position where the club isn't worth anything like what he'd want for it. So he isn't super, super rich (only super rich), so he's already poured a fortune into the club, so what? No one forced him to buy a football club, if he didn't know it was going to suck his money up with little hope of return, he's an idiot.
His stewardship of the club has been abysmal. I remember arguing with people back when, as he was creating his off-field empire which was going to mean we would never have to sell a player again, was going to see us financially stable forever.
I remember the shares issues which did nothing more than cement his control of the club. I remember trying to untangle the accounts to try and work out where all the debt was / had gone / why it was so high. Does anybody today know who exactly owns the club / ground / car park and has that made the future more or less secure?
By any measure, this is a dire period in our history and he is responsible for it, just as he would stand up and claim responsibility if we were currently in the Prem. I don't care how nice he is or how big a Blade he is, I never personally abuse players, managers or anyone else involved in the club, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be very happy to hear he had sold the club and was no longer anything to do with it.

I am not defending McCabe Hamburg, I am just asking people like you with outstanding business acumen how much of his disposable income/liquidity you think he should invest in the club each year?

We all know McCabe's made some decisions that were in hindsight very poor. We've also had some amazingly bad luck during his term as Chairman. But anyone who's met him will tell you that he is at heart a decent bloke and a passionate Blade. I'm ashamed about all the personal abuse he gets from fans.

I would never give him personal abuse.

I agree he's a decent bloke and a passionate Blade.

But his post 2006 stewardship has been a disaster, some of which has been self inflicted.

And this spell in League one will be his legacy, not one year in the PL in which we were relegated, because by the time he is done with us league one is all anyone will remember.

The biggest fallacy about McCabe is that he only became rich when he became a director here. It's laughable.

Agreed, quite the opposite, I'd say the money he poured in 10 years ago and the amount of effort he put in detracted massively from him building on his core businesses.

I have massive respect for McCabe (but I'm not blinkered to the point where he cannot be questioned on a few things he does) and thankful for what he did back then but I bet there's not a day goes by where his wife doesn't dig him in the ribs and say "Kevin why the fuck did you pour our grandchildren's inheritance into that football club?".

I'm amazed at the slack McCabe gets! He's personally overseen what will become the biggest slump and worst decline (arguably) in recent history, alongside the fact that football has gone in completely the opposite direction.

Don't get me wrong, there was never a good time to be in the third division, but everything is now so much more stacked against teams in lower leagues that it used to be (it is arguable whether or not it is even worth maintaining a youth academy when you're outside the Premier League!) and money so focused on the highest league, that being here, in this league, is a slowly imposed death sentence.

And I'm sorry, McCabe hasn't made "one or two mistakes", when you look through his tenure, almost everything he has ever chosen to do has been a complete disaster. You look back at some of the decisions (which were wildly unpopular at the time, not just in hindsight), and wonder if he's ever seen a game of football in his life, let alone a lifelong support (I'm not questioning that he is one, just that you'd expect someone who had been around football for so long to know better!). Yes, he got it correct with Warnock (and then got it very, very wrong), yes he maybe got it right with West Ham (although you wonder if it was a distraction, and the money should have been thrown into the transfer pot, for reasons of transparency, if nothing else), everything else? He got completely wrong! Time after time after time. He'd have been better flipping a coin, I'd take chance over McCabe when it comes to football decisions (and maybe even financial decisions; the reason Kevin McCabe has had to financially support this club is because of the decisions made by Kevin McCabe!).

To paraphrase something another poster wrote recently, if you look at the other "big" teams who've come down, past and present, we are almost unique in the way we've failed, and also, in the number of ways we've failed. The one constant throughout all of this has been Kevin McCabe. The problems at this club exist at the highest level, and we will continue to fail while McCabe is anywhere near the club. Make no mistake, we haven't progressed, this is STILL a club in decline!

I don't think McCabe is bent, I don't think he's just in it for himself and I do think he has tried to act in the best interests of the club. The problem is, he has been consistently incompetent when faced with important decisions.

We need a complete break, a new start, maybe the answer is fan ownership? If Kevin wants to stop chucking money after the club, why not sell it at a knock down price to us, the fans?

Agreed, quite the opposite, I'd say the money he poured in 10 years ago and the amount of effort he put in detracted massively from him building on his core businesses.

I have massive respect for McCabe (but I'm not blinkered to the point where he cannot be questioned on a few things he does) and thankful for what he did back then but I bet there's not a day goes by where his wife doesn't dig him in the ribs and say "Kevin why the fuck did you pour our grandchildren's inheritance into that football club?".
He poured money into infrastructure with the intention of making lots of money. He was really unlucky with the timing.

I don't believe he's ever pumped a fortune into the footballing side.

UTB

They've only had him 2 minutes!
I'm thinking in more or a parody that they are lucky enough to have a player of that quality, the times have turned unfortunately in that the last 10 years out of the Sheffield teams we've produced or had players that have attracted bigger clubs,whereas the pigs have had total shyte.
The tide has turned I'm afraid.
We have a big squad where half of them are only free transfer material, or cancelled contracts.

Like Flawed I'm amazed at the slack McCabe gets, lets not forget where we were when he took control of the club we were mid table in the championship and Kev was seen as the clubs saviour. Everyone said what a well run club we were even though Warnock never had much to spend. By the time we looked like we were going to the Premiership as a club we were light years ahead of that lot in S6 or that lot up the M1 and Kev thought he had made it big time and started to spend big time sadly just about everything he did since the day we were promoted to the Premiership turned to shit, every decision he made made things worse and so on and so on until we are left with what we have today a squad with virtually no real talent, a club that seems to be a graveyard for managers (they can't all be piss poor) and a boardroom full of incompetents who know fuck all about running a successful football club. We don't even own the ground anymore just who in there right mind would take over Sheffield United ? Kev's choices have backed him into a corner which the Prince and his garden gnome Jim will not get him out of, he will not get his money back by selling the club so he hangs onto what he as in hope that one day we will get to the premiership cash cow which will never happen without (game changing) investment. Meanwhile us the fans suffer a sixth season and still counting in footballs third tier, this club is going nowhere while McCabe still has a grip on the reigns unless we call the fourth tier of football going somewhere, meanwhile over in S6 ..................................

I am not defending McCabe Hamburg, I am just asking people like you with outstanding business acumen how much of his disposable income/liquidity you think he should invest in the club each year?

The very phrasing of your question defends McCabe. It's a nonsense question to be filed with "so who do you want to replace McCabe?" His stewardship of the club has been abysmal according to any criteria you care to set.

The very phrasing of your question defends McCabe. It's a nonsense question to be filed with "so who do you want to replace McCabe?" His stewardship of the club has been abysmal according to any criteria you care to set.

Afaics What is the alternative? is an entirely valid - and in fact essential - question.

X is crap is often the end of the "reasoning" process. I see it, I don't like it. I want to "get rid" of it.

This process may continue X is crap and X is better than Y in which case it makes sense to choose X rather than Y no matter how bad X is.

McCabes biggest failing is that he views the club as a vehicle to make him a personal return on his investment, football, certainly in the lower reaches of the pyramid, can't do this - only, has as been proved, to the detriment of the teams performances & league standing.

Foulkes, because, as I said in my earlier post, there isn't a list of billionaires who are waiting in the wings. You can ask it in the sense of "do you know anyone?" but not in a defensive way in order to close down the criticism or to defend the current situation. It's hard enough with managers, but with owners it's nigh on impossible, especially as none reveal their hand before zero hour.

Foulkes, because, as I said in my earlier post, there isn't a list of billionaires who are waiting in the wings. You can ask it in the sense of "do you know anyone?" but not in a defensive way in order to close down the criticism or to defend the current situation. It's hard enough with managers, but with owners it's nigh on impossible, especially as none reveal their hand before zero hour.

Pigs have got one, and he's putting his money in unlike our guys, who are, running a nice little business....

My opinion is we are perfect for a rich owner, it's all set up and done, and by comparison we are a cheap deal...

I want us up for sale, I want a new owner, I want actual investment, I want us to keep our players, I want us to have a good team.....

I want owners who want the same, not just talking about it and selling at the first sign of a few quid..

Pigs have got one, and he's putting his money in unlike our guys, who are, running a nice little business....

My opinion is we are perfect for a rich owner, it's all set up and done, and by comparison we are a cheap deal...

I want us up for sale, I want a new owner, I want actual investment, I want us to keep our players, I want us to have a good team.....

I want owners who want the same, not just talking about it and selling at the first sign of a few quid..
The problem we have is the co-ownership of the club, rarely does this work as both parties will have differing views particularly over footballing issues which as we all know are highly subjective.

The problem we have is the co-ownership of the club, rarely does this work as both parties will have differing views particularly over footballing issues which as we all know are highly subjective.
They won't have that many differing of opinions because they hardly speak;)

Colm.two.books.2.jpg

But if there are no alternatives then that does close down the debate (on who owns the club) - like it or not, surely?

McCabes biggest failing is that he views the club as a vehicle to make him a personal return on his investment, football, certainly in the lower reaches of the pyramid, can't do this - only, has as been proved, to the detriment of the teams performances & league standing.

If they taught business studies to 5 year olds the first lesson would be don't touch a football club with a barge pole, McCabe is a great businessman is involvement with the Blades has been a financial disaster for him, how did you make your personal fortune?

Back
Top Bottom