Last Promotion at the lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You need to be a member of the Handsworth Blades Facebook group to view the footage of the Watford match in 1971 that was filmed by a fan in the BLUT

Even if we don't clinch it tonight, we still have PNE on Saturday which is another opportunity to do it at BDTBL. Here's hoping it's one of these two matches.

I remember that it wasn’t all plain sailing in that famous Watford game. Some geezer called Stewart Scullion tried to spoil the party…he the bar with a cracking shot before we scored. He had a great game against us that day.

I was really pleased when we subsequently signed him … but he wasn’t a great fit, unfortunately. He never hit the heights we hoped. Not the last time we signed someone from the second tier hoping he’d make the grade in the top division. And not the last time someone had a great game against us so we signed them.

It's definitely the Watford game in 1970/71. A 3 0 win with 2 goals from Gil Reece and one from Alan Woodward.
Agree Sandygate and others. I sat behind the old directors' box in the old wooden John Street stand that season with my dad. We needed to win that game to secure promotion and Watford almost took the lead when Stewart Scullion - who we later signed - hit the crossbar early on. What stands out for me that game is that John Harris, our manager - who never, ever showed any emotion in any game throughout his time at United (he'd always sit in the directors' box watching every game stony faced) - stood up when we scored our third goal. We'd just secured promotion to the then First Division, the fans were going wild, and John Harris just stood up. No arms in the air. He just stood and looked ... .

I remember that it wasn’t all plain sailing in that famous Watford game. Some geezer called Stewart Scullion tried to spoil the party…he the bar with a cracking shot before we scored. He had a great game against us that day.

I was really pleased when we subsequently signed him … but he wasn’t a great fit, unfortunately. He never hit the heights we hoped. Not the last time we signed someone from the second tier hoping he’d make the grade in the top division. And not the last time someone had a great game against us so we signed them.
Harris did try to sign Scullion in November 1967 but he turned down the move.

I was at the Watford game and also at Bramall Lane for the beamback from Northampton in 2017. Does that count?

That's what made yesterday so special
I started going in 78, and have not missed a Lane game for over 40 years
All those years, and hundreds of games, and never once a promotion at the Lane
To be able to have such a special night with my 88 year old Dad by my side, who took me in 78, made it pretty much a perfect night
UTB

That's what made yesterday so special
All those years, and hundreds of games, and never once a promotion at the Lane
To be able to have such a special night with my 88 year old Dad by my side, who took me in 78, made it pretty much a perfect night
UTB

Not before time then. Hope you and importantly, your old fella really enjoyed yourselves. That's one itch scratched last night at the Lane. 😁⚔️

Seriously? That's extremely impressive if so.

I've missed four this season and I'm a season ticket holder! 😂

Back
Top Bottom