Last Promotion at the lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
When is the last time we confirmed a promotion by getting a result at home? All the last few I can remember were either away from home or confirmed by other teams results

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that we’ve never been promoted after a game at Bramall Lane, I started following in div 4 and we haven’t got promoted in my time at the lane

Ipswich game pretty much confirmed it, albeit not mathematically.

Thought it was daft when some of our fans were insisting it wasn't definite and how even Sheff Utd could mess it up.
Our goal difference was 12 goals better than the Leeds United goal difference.

So, for the final match away at Stoke City we needed to avoid losing 6-0
where as at the same time Leeds United were away at already relegated Ipswich Town and had to win 7-0 to pip us.

This is the quickest we ever been promoted back to the top league since l have been following us. Does anyone know if we ever got back up so quick?

Our previous best was it took 3 seasons in the Championship 1969 to 1971 before returning back to the top flight.
So we've beaten that record by needing only 2 seasons in the Championship before returning to the top flight.

By comparison Sheff Wed have managed to return to the top flight at the first attempt, needing just 1 season to be promoted.
and they've managed this on 5 different occasions.

Our previous best was it took 3 seasons in the Championship 1969 to 1971 before returning back to the top flight.
So we've beaten that record by needing only 2 seasons in the Championship before returning to the top flight.

By comparison Sheff Wed have managed to return to the top flight at the first attempt, needing just 1 season to be promoted.
and they've managed this on 5 different occasions.
Presumably when HMS Piss the League was seaworthy.

1982 after Peterborough failed to win at Hereford
1682370756465.png

1984 after Hull failed to win by 3 goals at Burnley

1989 Mathematically confirmed after we lost 2-0 at Bristol City and Port Vale didnt score enough goals

1990 clinched promotion by winning 5-2 at Leicester

2006 after Reading drew 1-1 at Leeds

2017 clinched promotion winning 2-1 at Northampton

2019 after Villa drew at Leeds

I think you are right. Not done that since 1971, I think. The promotion clinchers since then happened at an away game or from results elsewhere
Yep. Subsequently

1982: promoted when Peterborough lose at Hereford
1984: Hull fail to beat Burnley by 3
1989; United lose by 2 at Bristol City and Port Vale win but fail to achieve the large GD swing needed.
1990: win at Leicester
2006 Leeds fail to beat Reading
2017 win at Northampton
2019 Leeds fail to beat Villa

Conversely, we've tended to be relegated at the Lane . Since WW2

1949: draw at home to Newcastle when a win would have kept us up
1956: lose at Spurs in the penultimate game
1968: losr at home to Chelsea.
1976: inevitable relegation confirmed with 5-0 defeat at Spurs with 6 games left
1979: pretty inevitable relegation confirmed by failing to beat Leicester at the Lane
1981 losr 1-0 to Walsall and miss a last minute pen when a draw would have kept us up.
1988: draw the play off second leg with Bristol City after losing the first leg
1994: last minute defeat a Chelsea
2007: defeat at the Lane v Wigan when a draw would have kept us up.
2011: virtually inevitable relegation confirmed by failure to beat Barnsley at the Lane
2021: inevitable relegation confirm by defeat at Wolves with 6 games left.

1971, Currie stops just outside their box at the Kop end with the ball at his feet, and blows kisses to the Kop. Bert and nearly 40,000 others go crazy.

The Blades were up.

Bert is hoping for a replay of that tomorrow night from Iliman Cheikh Baroy Ndiaye.

Is there a video of The Blades v Watford 1971 Handsworth Blades have it I think, won't mind adding to my Ipad by downloading it.

Just occurred to me that The Blades V Cardiff match when we licked them 5-1 on 27/4/1971.I,m sure promotion was achieved that fantastic night. from the Times Archive.52 years later. Tommorrow night at Bramall Lane we could secure promotion to the premier league 52 years later.. I'm sure His Royal Highness Bert and Sir Silent Blade will correct me. if I,m wrong it,s because I still get excited now as I did then.

Attachments

• full (1).jpg
    full (1).jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 12
Just occurred to me that The Blades V Cardiff match when we licked them 5-1 on 27/4/1971.I,m sure promotion was achieved that fantastic night. from the Times Archive.52 years later. Tommorrow night at Bramall Lane we could secure promotion to the premier league 52 years later.. I'm sure His Royal Highness Bert and Sir Silent Blade will correct me. if I,m wrong it,s because I still get excited now as I did then.
No, after the 5-1 win, Cardiff had 2 games left (v Orient h and v Luton a) and were 3 points behind us. Cardiff beat Orient 1-0 on the same day we beat Watford 3-0. A few days later Luton beat Cardiff 3-0

I know we technically didn’t go up, but we basically did against Ipswich in 2019 (barring losing 20-0 or something daft, in the next game, we were up).

Back
Top Bottom