Hated former players

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Also hated McMahon. Doyle another and Collins. Mostly shit players from a dreadful period. MGW went from hero to villain signing for them.

Yeah, we had some absolute dross in the side at the time. The transformation between 2015 and late 2016 was phenomenal when you think about it.
Wilder was lucky in some respects, in that the majority of those players were all out of contract and left the club when he arrived, allowing him to sign virtually an entirely new backline.

Bruce - even afore he went to the Chan Siro or making a career of serially fucking off to ‘bigger’ clubs
Michael Bridges retiring him @ half time made the 0-4 gubbing (almost) bearable
I forget about Bruce. Although I never disliked him when he played for/managed us, just afterwards.

I didn't like that Paddy McCarthy who came in on loan in one of the league 1 seasons I think from Palace in the Prem, he probably only played about 10 times and was utter shite but there have been many who have been utter shite so not sure why I disliked him so much. It can only be, that around that time, his shiteness finally made it hit home with me how shit and nondescript and pathetic this amazing football club had become - floundering in league 1 with the likes of past it journeymen like him and Kitson and Danny Higginbotham seen as big signings who in reality cant run, cant be arsed, on more money than they would get anywhere else and don't give a shit about Sheffield United. We are a million miles away from those days now, lets hope they never return.

That’s how it came across to me with all the social media stuff and complaints he wasn’t in the first team, and all the stuff over his contracts.

It was disappointing as when he first came through I had high hopes for him as in his first couple of cameos he looked a genuine talent, but he called up for the Italy u20s and all of a sudden his agent seemed to be hawking him around Europe. It also said a lot that successive managers didn’t seem to like him. Clough and Adkins rarely played him, and Wilder couldn’t get him out of the door quick enough.

Having said around the time there was plenty of United players I grew to despise, because I got fucked off with year after year of League One and seeing the same old players not exactly busting a gut. I can handle players not being the best as long as they put a shift in, but we had plenty who just seemed to be along for the ride
When you’re being told you’re the next best thing then it can go to your head, he was a 17 year old kid earning decent money and being told the world was his oyster, I think all the agent stuff was bollocks, his dad was his agent and he was trying to look after his son. The family isn’t exactly full of shrinking violets so his outlook and attitude didn’t actually change that much. But for a bad injury he’d have made a good career in my opinion.

Not sure if Paddy Kenny has been mentioned yet?

My recollection is that when he got suspended for failing drug tests, he spent a season or more taking a wage from us and then cleared off at the first opportunity when the ban was lifted. Didn't hate him, but felt let down by his lack of loyalty.

This may be harsh / unfair, so happy to be corrected.

We've had some crap players over the years, but I wouldn't say I hated any of them.

With the exception of Tony McMahon. His complete bottle job away at Portsmouth when he got ragged, feigned injury (imo) and sloped off will stay with me forever, and the reason I genuinely hate him. Dereliction in the face of duty.

We went on to lose 0-3, and I managed to sleep through the best part of the second half (it was a lovely sunny day). Great night out in Pompey afterwards, tarnished by McMahons cowardice.

Can I nominate Ian Hamilton? Maybe not hate, but when I saw him play it made me irrationally angry.

After watching him as a 10 year old it also convinced me that I could, like him, become a professional footballer. And for that lie / shattered dream my dislike could be classed as hate.
I came here to say this. Absolutely awful player. I remember him getting booed off, the only time i've ever booed a player and I don't think he played again for us after that game.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, I haven’t got a 7 page poo in me this morning to read through it. But, never liked kitson

Not sure if Paddy Kenny has been mentioned yet?

My recollection is that when he got suspended for failing drug tests, he spent a season or more taking a wage from us and then cleared off at the first opportunity when the ban was lifted. Didn't hate him, but felt let down by his lack of loyalty.

This may be harsh / unfair, so happy to be corrected.
I think people have now forgiven him because he said it wasn't his fault in his book, I still don't believe him myself and I won't be reading his book to find out.

Not sure if he has been mentioned but the self proclaimed king of fashion Oliver Burke.....what a grade a no-mark

Pushing the parameters of the OP a little to just beyond players... and I don't dislike players just because they're a bit shit. But my list just has something about them that I absolutely cannot stand that usually extends beyond being either a player or manager.

Blackwell
Warnock
Bruce
Lundstram
Madine
King
Flynn
McBurnie
Darius Henderson
Sammon

I agree FAZ, my choice is based on some action or characteristic they have shown.

I would hate myself if I the reason for not liking them was being shit 😄

Wilder was lucky in some respects, in that the majority of those players were all out of contract and left the club when he arrived, allowing him to sign virtually an entirely new backline.
It was a back line he brought in,that got us promotion.He may have played a small part in that, do you think, or was that lucky too?

Seems to be a lot of hatred on here for Tony Mcmahon, but although I can remember him playing, nothing in my memory stands out as being any worse than most of the other shite we had playing at the time (and we had lots of shite.) Maybe I was drinking too much beer before the games he played in.....

Back
Top Bottom