Hao Haidong

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hope he scores a few if he does play!

In the end though, he wasn't bought to play.

Would be interesting if he did play though and it was publicised, imagine the crowds at the Lane.

Our former Chinese star is back in the news. Hadn’t realised that Li Tie is also the current China coach.

Was it only the FA Cup game he ever played for us in? Did he feature in any friendly matches ever for example, other than the China tour?

Never mind that, I'm just curious if OP author, tommy is still with us?

I've seen quite a few early Forum threads and it's interesting how they read more like my Dad's texts than the novellas we see now.
Poor old tommy , 590 posts and only 3 likes. What's he thinking though suggesting we give Haidong some games?

Never mind that! What's Hao Haidong thinking going up against the Chinese government? He'll be patient zero with Covid 20 after having eaten a dirty rickshaw or something.

I've seen quite a few early Forum threads and it's interesting how they read more like my Dad's texts than the novellas we see now.
Poor old tommy , 590 posts and only 3 likes. What's he thinking though suggesting we give Haidong some games?

Last seen on the forum in February this year, I guess he hasn't comeback online due to the lockdown. I think he is more of a forum reader than a poster as he hasn't posted since 2015.

I was amused by the link to Teamtalk, truly the Football League World of its day. If Hao Haidong was to have played any gametime it was surely going to be just after he signed, when we had a big shortage in strikers and the likes of Cadamarti were starting. Did he even get on the bench ever for a league game?

Share your memories here of “China’s Alan Shearer” (circa December 2014). Did you see him play, meet him, have his name and number on your shirt?

Last edited:
I was amused by the link to Teamtalk, truly the Football League World of its day. If Hao Haidong was to have played any gametime it was surely going to be just after he signed, when we had a big shortage in strikers and the likes of Cadamarti were starting. Did he even get on the bench ever for a league game?

Share your memories here of “China’s Alan Shearer” (circa December 2014). Did you see him play, meet him, have his name and number on your shirt?

I met him once. I spoke to him in Chinese (using the 2 phrases I know) and he seemed pleased I’d made the effort.

I saw him play once in China on the 2005 tour and once for China in a World Cup qualifier. He was enormously popular there. Until today, that is.

As I said in shoutbox, I hope he’s not in China now. Because if he is, he’s going to be under house arrest at best, and jail at worst. You can’t say what he’s said and get away with it.

Our former Chinese star is back in the news. Hadn’t realised that Li Tie is also the current China coach.

Was it only the FA Cup game he ever played for us in? Did he feature in any friendly matches ever for example, other than the China tour?

Wow. That's an extremely brave move. I wouldn't be surprised if to hear he's disappeared in mysterious circumstances in the coming weeks.

That's him in a dog meat sandwich in the future then !

He’s probably been banned by Foxy 😆

If he'd played with Marcus Bent we'd have had Bent-Dong up front

This is going to sound like a joke, but I swear it's 100% true: I met him on the day he arrived in England in the Job Centre on the road behind the Bankers Draft!

I'd just moved back to Sheffield after being made redundant down south (hence, no job yet) and was sat waiting to be seen and in walks about 5 people all wearing various Sheffield United branded clothing, and one of them was Hao Haidong.

As he walked past I said "UTB". He smiled (I wasn't even sure if he spoke English!).

and that's my story.. to this day I've no idea why he was in a Job Centre. I think we can safely rule out an income support claim, is that maybe where foreign nationals get NI numbers?

This is going to sound like a joke, but I swear it's 100% true: I met him on the day he arrived in England in the Job Centre on the road behind the Bankers Draft!

I'd just moved back to Sheffield after being made redundant down south (hence, no job yet) and was sat waiting to be seen and in walks about 5 people all wearing various Sheffield United branded clothing, and one of them was Hao Haidong.

As he walked past I said "UTB". He smiled (I wasn't even sure if he spoke English!).

and that's my story.. to this day I've no idea why he was in a Job Centre. I think we can safely rule out an income support claim, is that maybe where foreign nationals get NI numbers?
That jobcentre is one of, if not the biggest in the country (or it was when I worked for them). Also, the building above/at the side is also jobcentre/government back offices. I know the Home Office have a big presence in the city now, but not sure what the situation was back then, so maybe they had people based in there. So I’m guessing it was something to do with confirming who he was/ right to work etc, and that was a natural public facing building to get stuff signed and what have you.

On a not entirely unrelated note, I once signed on Mamadou Seck after we released him.

I think I've got a black n white away shirt with his signature on...

Back
Top Bottom