Ball Sup Blog... v Wolverhampton Wanderers (h)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ball_Sup (Phil)

Reaction score
🛍️ Carrier Bag Firm
⚔️ Sheffield United 2️⃣
🆚 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1️⃣
⚽ SUFC 2023/24 Game 2️⃣0️⃣
💩 Have you had a Bottom Shootout yet?
1️⃣6️⃣ How about a Top 16?
🎅 All played 3️⃣ by Boxing Day
🍺 12.5% + 12%
📋 My Football & Beer Blog
📖 Read here 👇

🛍️ Carrier Bag Firm
⚔️ Sheffield United 2️⃣
🆚 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1️⃣
⚽ SUFC 2023/24 Game 2️⃣0️⃣
💩 Have you had a Bottom Shootout yet?
1️⃣6️⃣ How about a Top 16?
🎅 All played 3️⃣ by Boxing Day
🍺 12.5% + 12%
📋 My Football & Beer Blog
📖 Read here 👇

Thanks Phil

Your tables are illustrative and I can make a case from them that Burnley are actually worse than us.

Next. You know what the zone man is? Please explain. I have been puzzling this for 33 years.

12.5% beer is not, in my opinion beer. It’s more like, I don’t know, sherry? I’ve had some of the later mentioned Thornbridge efforts. All I can taste is alcohol. Drowns out everything else. Might as well be drinking spirits. I acknowledge my lightweight status.

Thanks Phil

Your tables are illustrative and I can make a case from them that Burnley are actually worse than us.

Next. You know what the zone man is? Please explain. I have been puzzling this for 33 years.

12.5% beer is not, in my opinion beer. It’s more like, I don’t know, sherry? I’ve had some of the later mentioned Thornbridge efforts. All I can taste is alcohol. Drowns out everything else. Might as well be drinking spirits.eas I acknowledge my lightweight status.
re Beer

Beer is a process. If the drink comes from making a sugary porridge by boiling up malt & barley & grain, adding yeast so that some of that sugar turns to alcohol, and then adding Hops for flavour and preservative - it's Beer.

Stronger beer, which I love, comes from using a lot of malt & barley which are good at producing a lot of sugar, and using yeast which is very efficient at turning sugar into alcohol.

Lower abv beer, which I love, comes from using less malt & barley, lower in sugar, and using yeast which is less effective in turning sugar into alcohol.

All beer.....

Thanks Phil

12.5% beer is not, in my opinion beer. It’s more like, I don’t know, sherry? I’ve had some of the later mentioned Thornbridge efforts. All I can taste is alcohol. Drowns out everything else. Might as well be drinking spirits. I acknowledge my lightweight status.
Warning. I always treat Zone Man questions as if they're serious. Even though they've been the source of much fun since the Bassett days.

For quite some time United have deployed the same defensive strategy at corners.

A front screen in the six yard box, near the front post, to intercept and clear any underhit corners. Man markers, with each United player designated who (not where, who) to mark at corners. And a central zone, irrespective of where attackers are, on the six yard box, essentially central.

The zones job is to fucking ignore everything except the ball. Attack the ball if it is in their zone, clear it, get something on it, disrupt it.

McBurnie is a superb zone. One of his key skills is decision making. If he can get it, he goes for it & gets it. If he can't, he doesn't go for it, and changes to a conventional defensive set.

McGoldrick was an excellent zone. Osula & Jebbison have done it. Sharp has done it, but he was more a disruptor than a clean header. As I explained in the Blog, Brewster is doing it at the moment. And when he went off, Bogle did it.

Although each United player except keeper, screen and zone are designated who to mark before kick off, adjustments are made in running. Adjustments made from the bench by goalkeeper coach Darren Ward. Someone in the stadium helps with a high view, as Darren speaks to them via earpiece.

Major adjustments are often needed during United and opposition substitutions. Darren will show each United sub who to mark, and what patterns/blocks they may run by using charts as they finish warming up.

Norwood has been the preferred Front Screen for a number of years. He is very good. This season, when Norwood and Souza have played, Souza has screened sometimes. But, v Wolves, they went back to Norwood. Oliver Arblaster has also screened.

So, now you know.

Wow. I was making a funny, but I had no idea what it meant or how it works. Your explanation has filled in a genuine 33 year blank since Wilf Rostrun was this mysterious figure.

Explains perfectly why McBurnie clears so many defensive headers when he’s playing.

Thank you.

Wow. I was making a funny, but I had no idea what it meant or how it works. Your explanation has filled in a genuine 33 year blank since Wilf Rostrun was this mysterious figure.

Explains perfectly why McBurnie clears so many defensive headers when he’s playing.

Thank you.
Darren Ward runs a tight ship. There would have been no dispute as to whether Jock or Wilf was the Zone Man if he'd have been in charge.

Love a good zone man chat.

I think reading back from the 1990 situation, actually both Wilf and Jock were zones, Jock at the front post, Wilf at the back.

Back
Top Bottom