Gustavo Hamer - What’s the problem?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I honestly believe Hamer is one of the least of our worries, more concerning would be

Wes/ New Keeper
Anel
Souza
McB

We did to Sander what we are now doing to Gus.

Both came to the club as deep lying playmakers. Not RCMs. We have shoehorned them into this unfamiliar role in order to accommodate Oli Norwood.

Just remind me what the definition of insanity is again ……………?

Gus is a good championship CENTRAL midfielder. He’s not PL level and never will be. Alongside Vini in a double Pivot CM base, they would probably be the best in the Championship next year.

They are both tied to longer contracts and we should genuinely be looking to hold on to both next year.

UTB

We did to Sander what we are now doing to Gus.

Both came to the club as deep lying playmakers. Not RCMs. We have shoehorned them into this unfamiliar role in order to accommodate Oli Norwood.

Just remind me what the definition of insanity is again ……………?

Gus is a good championship CENTRAL midfielder. He’s not PL level and never will be. Alongside Vini in a double Pivot CM base, they would probably be the best in the Championship next year.

They are both tied to longer contracts and we should genuinely be looking to hold on to both next year.

UTB
I don't agree with everything you've written there, but I think this bit in bold could be true. If Vini learns to stay switched on for 90+ mins.

He'll be good in the Championship next year, and I'd be surprised if anyone in the PL would come in to match the money we paid for him to take him based on his and our performances so far this season so I'm not too concerned about that.

He's been disappointing, and for all the talk from many quarters that it's a big upgrade on Berge I'm not sure I agree with, not to mention them being different players with different styles of play. But I won't judge him too harshly on this season, and he's shown flashes of his quality and looks to be a progressive player who isn't afraid of trying something risky which I quite like - we have enough supposedly 'safe' players already. He's just come in to a really shit team, and he's not that good that he stands out as anything other than a player not up to the level, like the entire rest of our team. With better players around him I'm sure he'd be performing at a higher level.

A poor Coventry side? They got to the play off final last season. He's constantly been their best player. Let's not rewrite history
I'd say right now they are better team than us, no way would we convincingly beat them in a match. We are at best a mid championship team in waiting.

Without Ndiaye we are simply very very average.

Will Holgate change our fortunes definitely NO.

I am surprised not to see a thread about this yet but let’s be real he has been a big disappointment…

Is it because the players around him are bad?

Are we playing Hamer in the wrong position?

I thought he would be a star stand out player for us this season and he has been a big disappointment. He has ability and he is not showing it. He’s starting to become more lazy, not tracking back and I can’t remember the last time he made an attempt to win the ball.

Get Arblaster in when he’s back fit and Hamer benched. Get the youngsters some game time before the Championship next season. Look at the game time Brooks is getting, he is improving game by game and on paper Arblaster is better than Brooks. Interesting to see how he does.
its not the position.....you simply can't give the ball away as much as Hamer does. I thought Vinny was the chief culprit at this, but Hamer actually far exceeds him. It puts us under so much pressure.

I think we have been sold a dud.

People aren’t getting my point, Brooks has not had a loan move and Arblaster has and he’s been fantastic, he will be a starter. Port Vale fans are saying he’s the best player they’ve ever seen in a Vale shirt and they are gutted that he’s left. Brooks arguably is already a starter and he’s come straight from the U21 side to the Premier League in one big jump so why can’t Arblaster do the same and replace Hamer? Arblaster is arguably better than Brooks on paper as well so he should be a real asset for us and giving him Premier League experience will make him a better player like we are seeing with Brooks. Hamer needs to play for his shirt when Arblaster is back from injury.

Looks a bit unfit to me so difficult to judge.

Not been especially impressed with him, but none of the new signings have looked decent. Expect we’ll get our money back on Souza, but not sold in terms of value for money for the balance of the additions. Again, it’s difficult to judge as the recruitment in the summer was so mishandled / late we had to build a team on fly rather than actually getting a system embedded over the summer. Difficult to thrive in that context.

Essentially, not sure it was a crap recruitment, crap organisation or both.

I don't think Hamer fits into a Wilder team that contains Mcatee and no proper goalscorer like Coventry had in Gyokeres, think he's better in a 442 formation personally.

People aren’t getting my point, Brooks has not had a loan move and Arblaster has and he’s been fantastic, he will be a starter. Port Vale fans are saying he’s the best player they’ve ever seen in a Vale shirt and they are gutted that he’s left. Brooks arguably is already a starter and he’s come straight from the U21 side to the Premier League in one big jump so why can’t Arblaster do the same and replace Hamer? Arblaster is arguably better than Brooks on paper as well so he should be a real asset for us and giving him Premier League experience will make him a better player like we are seeing with Brooks. Hamer needs to play for his shirt when Arblaster is back from injury.
To put it simply. Being on loan to Port Vale and tearing it up a bit in League 1 is not a sound basis for chucking out Hamer, who did tear up the Championship last season. Hamer was a good Championship player in a good side. He's finding his way in the PL in a very bad PL side, give him a break.

My thoughts:

1. The Prem is much harder than the Champ.
  2. We started by asking him to play in a three man midfield that was getting routinely overrun. He isn't enough of an athlete to compete, and he had Norwood, also not an athlete, alongside him.
  3. He is a technical player, but not an overly fit one. Give him responsibility for quality in possession, not for doing hard yards.
  4. Sign some genuine athletes around him, to account for this.
  5. Losing a pound or two would help, he doesn't look in the greatest of shape.
  6. Play him deeper, in the Norwood role.
He could be central to all we build next season, but equally, I don't expect him to be here. I think we'll sell him as one of few assets that are actually worth something.

Hamer isn't doing much wrong. Just hasn't banged one in lately.

Back
Top Bottom