Gustavo Hamer - What’s the problem?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

William Carey

Reaction score
I am surprised not to see a thread about this yet but let’s be real he has been a big disappointment…

Is it because the players around him are bad?

Are we playing Hamer in the wrong position?

I thought he would be a star stand out player for us this season and he has been a big disappointment. He has ability and he is not showing it. He’s starting to become more lazy, not tracking back and I can’t remember the last time he made an attempt to win the ball.

Get Arblaster in when he’s back fit and Hamer benched. Get the youngsters some game time before the Championship next season. Look at the game time Brooks is getting, he is improving game by game and on paper Arblaster is better than Brooks. Interesting to see how he does.

Brooks and Arblaster has shown signs to be a better player than Hamer though, and they have been playing U21 football…
Really? He's played no higher than League 1 so far. Hamer was a star for along period in the division above. As we're seeing this year, lets not underestimate how much more difficult it gets as you move up the pyramid.

Really? He's played no higher than League 1 so far. Hamer was a star for along period in the division above. As we're seeing this year, lets not underestimate how much more difficult it gets as you move up the pyramid.
But what i’m saying is people thought the same about Brooks and he’s playing great for us in the Prem so surely Arblaster can

Bear in mind what we paid for Hamer is not a lot less than what we got for Ndiaye, both had a year left on their contracts.

Makes both deals look not very good from our point of view.

I know Hamer has had some personal issues to deal with, but whether this has affected his form I don't know.

But what i’m saying is people thought the same about Brooks and he’s playing great for us in the Prem so surely Arblaster can
But things don't really work like that do they mate? All it proves is that Brooks is doing well.

He seems to be playing as a holding midfielder, or at least deeper than he did for Coventry, we also have him and McAtee who are Flair players and our midfield cannot afford to carry two of that type.

I am surprised not to see a thread about this yet but let’s be real he has been a big disappointment…

I thought he would be a star stand out player for us this season and he has been a big disappointment. He has ability and he is not showing it. He’s starting to become more lazy, not tracking back and I can’t remember the last time he made an attempt to win the ball.

Get Arblaster in when he’s back fit and Hamer benched. Get the youngsters some game time before the Championship next season. Look at the game time Brooks is getting, he is improving game by game and on paper Arblaster is better than Brooks. Interesting to see how he does.
How about his pas to set up our first goal on Tuesday and the goals that he has scored ?

Bear in mind what we paid for Hamer is not a lot less than what we got for Ndiaye, both had a year left on their contracts.

I know Hamer has had some personal issues to deal with, but whether this has affected his form I don't know.
Coventry fans would argue Hamer was equally as good, if not better than Ndiaye. Ndiaye has failed in a "higher" division so far.

theres an inordinate amount of scapegoating threads in here
our fans seem to have given up supporting for full blooded hate campaigns

scanning these forums is turning into to watching Himlers campaign to belittle jews
nearly every other thread explains in detail how awful every member of our squad is

thinking of leaving it for a cheerier forum like a hospice forum

It's the Premier League and our defence has beem pretty bad in the majority of matches, making us a poor side. Hamer hasn't been perfect, but he's up against top quality midfielders every match (for the first time in his career).

We need Hamer to stay and feel loved here, because he's probably our single biggest chance of challenging for promotion next season, in my opinion.

How about his pas to set up our first goal on Tuesday and the goals that he has scored ?
So basically Gus Hamer been our best player this year from stats point of view if only all other players in team had similar stats:

RankNameAssistsGoalsPlayedChances CreatedChances per 90Total PassesPasses CompletePasses IncompletePass Accuracy
1Gustavo Hamer4322361.6468851916975%

And Andre Brooks as quoted above has been better (no goals and no assists as yet)

Brooks and Arblaster has shown signs to be a better player than Hamer though, and they have been playing U21 football…
Explain how/when Arblaster has shown signs of being a better player.

If you answer "For Port Vale" you deserve to be placed on ignore

He's not doing that bad though is he. Most assists in the squad, 3rd top scorer.

It's just that we, generally, have been poor.

He's maybe not at that elite level where he could lift the team single handed, but to be honest we can't even be sure Iliman could have done that at this level.

Is there a problem?

If we’re being a little bit more objective about the whole situation of Sheffield United, Hamer is doing pretty well.

To quote Basil Fawlty*, for those moaning about Hamer…

‘When we signed Hamer, I expected to be able to see us reach the Europa League.’
‘This is the Premier League Madam’
‘Well it’s not good enough!’
‘May I ask what you expected to see Madam? 2 assists every game perhaps? Dominating midfield against established premier league players? Herds of passes sweeping majestically across the pitch?’

*Maybe a bit paraphrased… 👀

It's a strange thread. Clearly he hasn't set the premier league alight, but he's still one of the pick of the crop from our lot.
I think he's stood out at times in a poor team and with poorer players around him.

I said after we played Forest away that with Norwood as the Pivot, Souza and Hamer were then box to box around him and he seemed to work well that day, but since then Norwood has been poor, along with the rest of the team and we've lost the defence, so it's meant we've had to change things a lot.

We seem to have settled now on a central 3 of Hamer and Souza sitting deeper (generally) and Brooks ahead of them, it's quite narrow at times but i like the way it opens the wings up a little for Left and Right fullbacks to get forward a little and for the wider attacking players to get on the ball and come inside, because there is more space for Diaz / Archer or McAtee to get on the ball.

The difference between Norwood and Hamer, Souza, Brooks is that Norwood sat deep all the time, occasionally breaking for a long shot, but Hamer has more energy and is more able to get box to box and be effective in the opposition box.

It's a work in progress and i'm pretty sure he'll want to stay in the Premier League next season, so i can't see him staying with us in the Championship, unfortunately, but he'd be a key player to get us back up

Thought he was our best player on sat especially in the first half

Back
Top Bottom