Fast players that were good with us

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was only a nipper when he played so my judgement of his quality may be off but Trenton Wiggan was one of my favourites - like a rocket as well!

Georgios Donis was fairly rapid I remember, although he only played 7 games for us.

Probably beaten by Sander Berge who's got a 40 meter record at 4,6 seconds.
He may well have that time over a measured distance but Lundstram had the top speed of our squad followed by Moose in that season so were our two fastest players.

He may well have that time over a measured distance but Lundstram had the top speed of our squad followed by Moose in that season so were our two fastest players.
Ah, I thought you referred to Duffy's leaked list of tests in training, but you meant top speed registered at a match that season?

This season's PL list:

1705246609622.png
Archer it top for us with 34,71.

Derek Hawksworth(Left wing) was rapid, especially on the cricket side. Playing on the John St side seemed to inhibit his play a little at least that was how it seamed to us, on the Lane side of the Terrace. Remember the players entrance divided the Terrace into Lane and Kop ends so seeing the the opposite ends crowd was difficult. We always stood central Lane end. Derek also had an eye for goal which helped him revert to centre forward after Colin Grainger came along and took over the no.11 shirt.
Colin Grainger was even quicker than Hawksworth, also with an eye for goal. This deservedly gaining him six England caps, 1956, whilst Joe Mercer, ex England WWII time international captain, was Blades manager and I don't believe rapid except when He left for Villa.

Derek Hawksworth(Left wing) was rapid, especially on the cricket side. Playing on the John St side seemed to inhibit his play a little at least that was how it seamed to us, on the Lane side of the Terrace. Remember the players entrance divided the Terrace into Lane and Kop ends so seeing the the opposite ends crowd was difficult. We always stood central Lane end. Derek also had an eye for goal which helped him revert to centre forward after Colin Grainger came along and took over the no.11 shirt.
Colin Grainger was even quicker than Hawksworth, also with an eye for goal. This deservedly gaining him six England caps, 1956, whilst Joe Mercer, ex England WWII time international captain, was Blades manager and I don't believe rapid except when He left for Villa.
My dad said Colin Collindridge was quick

Stretching my memory now SB, going back to when I was 8/9 years old.
I am certain I saw him play but no knowledge of any assets or defects about his play.
Having said that I can confirm your dad was right.
Some where in the vast cavern called the 'tinternet' is a piece of film, possibly "Pathe News", of Blades at home. Hagan, stood with ball at feet,, mesmerising two stationary defenders, then all of a sudden Collinridge streaks behind and past defenders to receive the ball from Sir James and getting a cross in.

He was , and for whatever reason , even though he came from an ordinary working class Barnsley background , always looked like someone who could have been an academic or member of the legal profession .

Even quicker though was a player seldom mentioned on here who had a couple of splendid seasons with us scoring in better than one in three games before being transferred to Liverpool , and that was Kevin Lewis .

He was an excellent winger whose biggest problem was that of having to take over from the great Alf Ringstead and as such , was never given the credit which he deserved .

Back
Top Bottom