Crowd-fund & buy the prince's half?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You can't crowdfund buying half the club. If you wanted to make a difference, you could crowdfund an amount of money purely to buy players.
Would we get any monies back on a player we funded Robbie,if sold on. Or would we "stand in his way".

One of the dicks from One Direction tried to do it with John Ryan at Doncaster. It was an utter failure.

It will not raise any significant amount of money..

As I understand that particular deal (unusually ITK for me), that was engineered by John Ryan in the mistaken belief that he'd get One Direction involved, only to discover that he was getting the local lad as an individual and there would be no OD spin off.

In that case, I reckon the dick was John Ryan, not the local lad.....(I call him that because I can't remember his name....)

If we bought half, would you all be willing to give it a away for someone to pump in millions.

Say between them, the Prince and Kev wanted £40m.

That is £3076 each for 13000 season ticket holders.

Then give it away to someone with deep pockets? Or you pay £6k and you have £40m on transfers and to be self sufficient till we get to the premierleague. Please note you might need another £3k in 5 years time

Anyone willing now?

As I understand that particular deal (unusually ITK for me), that was engineered by John Ryan in the mistaken belief that he'd get One Direction involved, only to discover that he was getting the local lad as an individual and there would be no OD spin off.

In that case, I reckon the dick was John Ryan, not the local lad.....(I call him that because I can't remember his name....)
Oh, they were both dicks in this instance. Louis Tomlinson is his name.

How embarrassing to return the few coppers to silly little teenagers that did part with some money. Ridiculous.

One idea is as per brownie's post, the fans buy or are gifted a nominal stake in the club (5%) and then they get a seat at the management table. Fan's organisation is privy to key decisions and theoretically protects the interests of the SUFC fanbase.

But....You'd need a prominent fans organisation with legitimacy in terms of being representative of all the support. I think that would be very difficult.

Laughable stuff? But not when you say it?

How much does McCabe want to fuck off? We could try our luck on Funding Circle. I'm in btw.

That is the figure that I heard he might accept for cash, i.e. a lump sum, not part payments, or down payments. I think he still hopes to get 50 million.

Which is why no one is ever going to buy a division 3 club when you can buy a championship club for less.............

I'm not so sure. It's fairly obvious he's wanted out for a long time now. The Saudi money has meant he's been able to take a back seat/not put money in/deflect some of the blame. That cash-well has now run clean and he's left with few options.

Given his track record hanging seems like a lose/lose situation. He throws a shit ton of money at this and knows it could still end badly. Alternatively, he sits back and lets the club rot and loses even more as the fans melt away and our league position deteriorates even more. He must now realise he's never getting his money back without gambling (which isn't going to happen), the reality is that the longer he holds on to this club the less he'll get when it eventually does change hands.

Given it seams there are no other billionaires willing to throw money at us, and now football has pretty disappeared from the stock market after the 90s gold rush, fan ownership does seem the most appealing option. Really not sure why the idea's getting hammered!

Exactly same principle. Solves your problem of how to accurately reflect the fan's opinions.

It doesn't. Who qualifies for a vote? Season ticket holders? Members and STers?

What systems do you use to vote? The web? What about if someone doesn't have the web? If we're postal voting how long do we give people? How does that work in a commercial environment requiring quick decisions?

What about if the club hears on the QT that Mourinho would be interested in taking the job? Do we have to put it to the vote to give the existing manager the push? How do we explain that a better option is lined up? What happens if the manager needs his contract terminated due to misconduct but we've settled on signing a non-disclosure clause in order to avoid paying compo? How does that work with a fan veto?

It'd be interesting to see how many of the people condemning McCabe for not putting more money in, would be prepared to put in three grand of their own money, for a 1/1300th share, just to get control. Then put another three grand in for transfers and running costs annually?

One things for sure, with 1300 directors, I'm not polishing the boardroom table ;)

It doesn't. Who qualifies for a vote? Season ticket holders? Members and STers?

What systems do you use to vote? The web? What about if someone doesn't have the web? If we're postal voting how long do we give people? How does that work in a commercial environment requiring quick decisions?

What about if the club hears on the QT that Mourinho would be interested in taking the job? Do we have to put it to the vote to give the existing manager the push? How do we explain that a better option is lined up? What happens if the manager needs his contract terminated due to misconduct but we've settled on signing a non-disclosure clause in order to avoid paying compo? How does that work with a fan veto?

So you didn't actually read most of my original post before dismissing it as laughable then.
I covered most of your reservations already.

People with a very high number of loyalty points would be allowed to register to vote.
We're talking people who have had season tickets for years and/or go to most matches home and away.
Of those who register a certain number would be selected at random to vote. Maybe 50 or 100.
As I said earlier that would probably rule me out as I don't go to many away matches.
However, I would trust 50 regular attendees to make better footballing decisions on my behalf than non-footballing people like McCabe and Phipps.

People who register to vote would be required to provide text and email contact details and of course they would need to vote via the Internet not by post.

Before the club takes a key decision of sacking a manager, hiring a manager or selling a major contracted player they would be required to explain the reasoning behind their decision to the fan's panel who would then be given maybe 4, 12, 24 or 48 hours to respond depending on the type of decision.

Most of these absolutely key decisions are not that time-critical and selling players less than 24 hours before the deadline, with no time to sign a replacement, is the type of rash decision we are trying to avoid anyway.

It's basically another way of having a fans representative involved in key decisions. While avoiding the problem you alluded to of choosing one fan and everybody accusing them of being just a patsy to the Board.

Last edited:
This club still owes many of us some decent beer money from the share issue in the nineties.... And then keeps asking us to right off the now value less shares to 'support' the club...

Appreciate crowd funding is different but I'd trust an investment in United as much as a Tory promise.... Or indeed a Saudi Prince promise...

This club still owes many of us some decent beer money from the share issue in the nineties.... And then keeps asking us to right off the now value less shares to 'support' the club...

Appreciate crowd funding is different but I'd trust an investment in United as much as a Tory promise.... Or indeed a Saudi Prince promise...

McCabe doesn't need to ask anyone to write off those shares - nor has he to my knowledge - he doesn't need to as he controls around 85% of the (valueless) shares anyway.

Writing them off makes no difference to the football club anyway.

McCabe doesn't need to ask anyone to write off those shares - nor has he to my knowledge - he doesn't need to as he controls around 85% of the (valueless) shares anyway.

Writing them off makes no difference to the football club anyway.
why hang onto them then?? (genuinely interested)

I remember hearing about this and never really read into it. Looks like they're not far from the promised land now.

On another note, does anyone remember this from about 8 years ago?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFootballClub

I was actually one of the original people who signed up for MYFC. It quickly became apparent that it could never work and they couldn't deliver on their promises, renewals fell about 90% I believe!

He clearly needs to show his face in the UK. What a load of crap he put us in.

I remember hearing about this and never really read into it. Looks like they're not far from the promised land now.

On another note, does anyone remember this from about 8 years ago?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFootballClub

I bought £100's worth, the plea was similar to what Leeds did but they sold the shares at reasonable price.

They look promising for the playing off's which would be back to back promotions.

No need to lads. I've got a pound spare. And i don't even expect any change. ;)

Seriously though, there's no reason as a club we shouldn't be able to break even. How we're losing £8m a year is anybodies guess. I'm pretty sure McCabe talks a load of bollocks. Most of the teams in the lower leagues don't have billionaire owners throwing money around, yet manage to survive on gates of a few thousand. Our income must be more than Walsall, Gillingham and Burton's combined, if we can't build a squad with that kind of money we must be run by idiots or liars. Oh wait... :tumbleweed:

I'm having snags with the 'losing £8m per year' thing as well.

We have shitloads of fans through the turnstiles compared with other clubs, and a merchandise line which must be the envy of anyone else. This in a city and conurbation of huge potential.

I don't think McCabe is bullshitting to cover up any nefarious activity. I just think the investments and business plans overseas connected with the club have backfired.

I have watched all bits of the interview now and I am unsurprised, and disappointed at McCabe's bullish attitude back at the interviewer. His rather unnerving aggression says quite a lot about a bloke who has a lot to answer for but precious little mitigation. I'm glad he has gone public - his silence was as damning if not more, but all this does is reinforce what a shit state this club is in and how much teflon he wears. Were we treat to a bit more humility instead of hubris and he started to treat us not like inconsequential serfs, I think McCabe's presence in the club would be more appreciated.

pommpey

I love the line that we have the biggest (or wait a minute maybe second biggest) wage bill in the division.

Yeah. Not hard that though is it? Bearing in mind we have more than twice the amount of paying fans than every team in the division bar Bradford and Coventry. You'd want us to have the 2nd highest wage bill in the division, wouldn't you??

I know the figures are guesswork, but on football manager it says our wage bill is £120k a week. I'd guess it's not that high, but lets go with that. That's £6.2m a year. Say 20,000 people spend an average of £20 every home game, that's income of approx £9.2m a year. Then you add in things like sponsorship etc. Obviously on the other side there's policing costs, bills etc.

But if we are making a loss of £8m, that's a gap of about £11m a year that must be spent on policing, bills etc. And that's without counting sponsorship income and player sales. I wouldn't want to see our electric bill, i know that... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom