Match Thread Chelsea v. Sheffield United - 16th December 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CHE
CHE
CHE

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1702577741453.png vs. 1702577747993.png

Premier League Matchweek 17 - Saturday 16th December 2023 - 15:00 - Stamford Bridge
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Player Ratings:
Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/chelsea-vs-sheffield-united.673/

Officials:

Referee: Andy Madley
Assistants: Harry Lennard, Nick Hopton
Fourth Official: Rob Jones
VAR: Peter Bankes
Assistant VAR: Eddie Smart

🚗Matchday Parking:

Stuck for somewhere to park? - CLICK HERE FOR MATCHDAY PARKING

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 18.15.10.png

disappointing because at Half Time i thought we got great chance at a point. but then 2nd half we werent as good & coupled with the billion pound Chelsea players turned up & we knew if they did they have quality to hurt anyone

poor display today we made chelsea a mid table premier league team look like top 4 contenders sloppy passing from start to finish they could have had 4 or 5 we just havent got the quality to compete at this level and to have any hope of staying up we really have to invest heavily in january on 3/4 quality players otherwise weve no chance

Results against Chelsea away will not define our season… but…
Good God I’m perplexed by McB! His work rate is pathetic! Who does he think he is?? Messi??
And Lowe, just like 3yrs ago, is still the problem! Nowhere to be seen in the 2nd half we might as well not had a left side there was so much space!
Positives… we did create a couple of good chances 1st half. Trusty, Archer and Souza looked good for the most part.
Onto the next… but some big calls need to be made in Jan
We really need to get rid of McB in January and replace him with..., well..., anyone

We have gone from embarrassing to just bad which is something I guess.

We never look like scoring. Yes we won last week but only because of a random worldy, we missed lots of easy chances.

Chelsea weren't good we were just worse. The ref wasn't terrible but definitely they had the rub of the green.

The weird one for me is how quiet it is. The crowd was all Arabs Chinese Koreans etc that look bored the entire game, I'm sure they pay top money to go but it makes the match day so flat, it can't sound good on TV? Still we all know the soul went years ago. Just sad that it's no longer the working man's game.

Even weirder was it started the empty out almost completely at 85 minutes. If you've paid 200 quid I'd be making the most of it

thought we did well today up until we switched off for their goal
then it was an uphill task
we had decent chances to create at nil nil but wasted them and you cant really exoect a team with max lowe in it to keep a clean sheet at this level
lastly can we stop passing it to wes every time we do it puts in all sorts of trouble he is laughably bad with the ball at his feet

We have gone from embarrassing to just bad which is something I guess.

We never look like scoring. Yes we won last week but only because of a random worldy, we missed lots of easy chances.

Chelsea weren't good we were just worse. The ref wasn't terrible but definitely they had the rub of the green.

The weird one for me is how quiet it is. The crowd was all Arabs Chinese Koreans etc that look bored the entire game, I'm sure they pay top money to go but it makes the match day so flat, it can't sound good on TV? Still we all know the soul went years ago. Just sad that it's no longer the working man's game.

Even weirder was it started the empty out almost completely at 85 minutes. If you've paid 200 quid I'd be making the most of it
Loads of corporate seats, so the people haven't paid directly for them...

No complaints. Second best today. Fortunately the rest of the month looks easier! 😆

Pleased with a lot of that performance, to be fair. My only concern is Wes, if we could get another proven keeper in, I would make the change. Onwards to ghost goal town

Whilst I agree he should be forcing his way through two men to attack it, he quite literally enabled the move in the first place, playing two key passes to make it.
He used to do that at Barnsley & Swansea, running onto balls on the floor & scoring. We trained him into being a spare centre half. He worked hard at it and decided that he's better off dithering up at top end of pitch thus conserving energy so he can get back to centrehalving at set pieces for the opposition. Smart thinking Leeds intellect!

Under par performance from us.
Chelsea totally dominated but surprisingly struggled to create many chances. Our defensive shape was very good but we switched off for their 2 goals. Also because we didn’t see much of the ball we didn’t show much confidence when attacking.

Although the performance was quite poor it was far from being embarrassing like it often was under Hecky. There was never any threat we would lose 4-0 today and I believe that under Wilder, teams thrashing us is in the past. The players looked organised, tried hard and even tried bits of passing.

However Chelsea were clearly better than us, thought a 0-2 was a fair reflection of the game.

I recon that Wes would make a good centre forward. His reaction in getting out to defend and toepoke the ball away saved a certain goal. Wes is no good at goalkeeper distribution, he's crap at goalkicks and punts out of penalty area. He's as nippy as Liniker used to be, toepokes today could have got us 3 goals. To do what he did today proves that he's got a strikers attitude plus he's a big unit who isn't going to be pushed around. Robbo could take on goalkeeper duties cos he's good at owt he does at the moment. Get McT on the inside rather than keeping him on the wing, put max Lowe in upper tier south stand guarding beer crates and replace with Slimmy, other changes to be considered during speed camp sessions at Woodburn Road running track. The fastest average of 6 sets of 5 x 30 & 5 x 60 metre sprints with 2 mins rest between runs and 10 mins rest between sets to qualify for selection for the shirt in each footballer disipline. Speed endurance sessions of 150 metre runs at 90% effort to be carried out at international breaks, pre season & after injuries onto recovery. A sprint coach to be assigned via British Athletics.

I recon that Wes would make a good centre forward. His reaction in getting out to defend and toepoke the ball away saved a certain goal. Wes is no good at goalkeeper distribution, he's crap at goalkicks and punts out of penalty area. He's as nippy as Liniker used to be, toepokes today could have got us 3 goals. To do what he did today proves that he's got a strikers attitude plus he's a big unit who isn't going to be pushed around. Robbo could take on goalkeeper duties cos he's good at owt he does at the moment. Get McT on the inside rather than keeping him on the wing, put max Lowe in upper tier south stand guarding beer crates and replace with Slimmy, other changes to be considered during speed camp sessions at Woodburn Road running track. The fastest average of 6 sets of 5 x 30 & 5 x 60 metre sprints with 2 mins rest between runs and 10 mins rest between sets to qualify for selection for the shirt in each footballer disipline. Speed endurance sessions of 150 metre runs at 90% effort to be carried out at international breaks, pre season & after injuries onto recovery. A sprint coach to be assigned via British Athletics.
cheers🍺🥴

Loads of corporate seats, so the people haven't paid directly for them...
I was in an area where it’s £5k per ticket and barely a whisper was raised all game. It was an odd sense of entitlement and people disappointed if it’s not 5-0. We had a pint after and my friend who’s a Dundee United fan was exasperated at it ‘look around, there’s not one person happy or pleased to be here’. I’ll take our muck and nettle’s experience of being a fan any day.

Was there a var check for our goal? I thought it automatically got reviewed if the ball goes in.

That lino was ropey. There was one incident where he let Chelsea attack but as soon as we won the ball and looked like we might break he flagged really late as if it was a blatant attempt to stop us and kill the flow to let them reset. Very odd.

It’s chalk and cheese… McAtee is there to work that bit of magic that opens up the defence. Lowe is there to hold his position and defend… he went missing in the 2nd half and cost us any sort of result
Yeah maybe so, the point is that no magic was forthcoming so he played worse today than Lowe.

I'm not saying you, bit some people seem to fall over themselves to slate our players. Lowe was ok today, especially in the 1st half. He made one great tackle and lots of other positive contributions. He was asked to attack and defend as a wing back, but without yhe covet of a three. He was always going to be out of position at times.
We competed for 45 mins today created a few chances and ran out if puff vs a billion pound squad. Nothing to be ashamed of and certainly no need to scapegoat players for.

Yeah maybe so, the point is that no magic was forthcoming so he played worse today than Lowe.

I'm not saying you, bit some people seem to fall over themselves to slate our players. Lowe was ok today, especially in the 1st half. He made one great tackle and lots of other positive contributions. He was asked to attack and defend as a wing back, but without yhe covet of a three. He was always going to be out of position at times.
We competed for 45 mins today created a few chances and ran out if puff vs a billion pound squad. Nothing to be ashamed of and certainly no need to scapegoat players for.
I do disagree somewhat (respectfully of course cos we all see it differently, that’s football) I thought McAtee played well, he did the basics right and tried to work the ball when he could.
I think most fans are frustrated with Lowe cos we did play well up until HT, I was very optimistic about getting at least a point. But then he went missing and it cost us. And according to the post match presser there was no instruction to open up like that.
But… it’s gone now… it would’ve been nice to get something from Chelsea but it wasn’t to be. Robbo will be back for Villa and I expect Lowe will be the one to drop out of the starting line up.

I do disagree somewhat (respectfully of course cos we all see it differently, that’s football) I thought McAtee played well, he did the basics right and tried to work the ball when he could.
I think most fans are frustrated with Lowe cos we did play well up until HT, I was very optimistic about getting at least a point. But then he went missing and it cost us. And according to the post match presser there was no instruction to open up like that.
But… it’s gone now… it would’ve been nice to get something from Chelsea but it wasn’t to be. Robbo will be back for Villa and I expect Lowe will be the one to drop out of the starting line up.
i thought mcatee had a poor game to be honest but the system we played yesterday certainly doesnt suit his game i would play him in home games where we have more possesion but on the bench for tough away games

10th is mid table that isnt top nobody has ever finished 10th & thought we were near the top. in same way when adkins finished 11th in league 1 nobody thought he deserved a 2nd season because after all we were quite near the top
10th in December gives you a lot better chance to make 6th upwards than being where we are9

10th in December gives you a lot better chance to make 6th upwards than being where we are9
it probably does. but your making out as if we are somehow on a par with Chelsea. 18 months ago they were winning the club world cup. have spent ridiculous money on most of that team yesterday

Back
Top Bottom