Billy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

On a good day Sharp's hold up play is quite good, and he'll move the ball around well with his passing too. Oftentimes that's not the case. And then when he's not getting involved much we get the talk about how he's lazy, out of shape, not quick or skillful enough, or whatever.

But here's the thing, that's not really his prime role and never has been. What he does is get in good positions and score goals. It's no surprise at all that as soon as we start creating he starts scoring. That's what he's proven himself to be great at.

You can't overvalue what it is to start your season with a striker where you can think (as shown last season) "Even if we're playing mediocre to crap football, he'll bag 15+, and if we're playing well it'll be 20+". There'll likely be fifty odd strikers that making regular appearances for teams in this division and you'll be able to say it about three or four of them.

The Bradford fans' comments cement this. They'd love to have a striker who can do what Sharp can. And why don't they? Because they're really hard to find, and even harder to bring in to a League One club.

THIS ^^^^

A pretty much perfect assessment.

Prior to the last two games Sharp has missed chances, made poor decisions with the ball and been mediocre at best in the majority of games.
Nobody was calling him shite.

I suggested he might need a kick up the arse as he looked mardy.
I also suggested he might struggle to keep his place if he didn't start finding the net as that was primarily his main job in the side. Done is also expected to score, but primarily he's there because of his work rate, effort, ability to close defenders and willingness to put his body on the line.

Now if Sharp has looked sharper, and has found his form again then great. Why the hell would anyone want to drop him. But just because some of you don't like the thought of dropping someone when out of form doesn't make you right. NO player should be in a side based on reputation or past performances. It should be on merit and them being the best person at the time to get the result.
I expect Done and Sharp to be fighting for one place very soon.

Look, no player is undroppable.

Except Billy.

Billy is undroppable.

You can't drop Billy.

Prior to the last two games Sharp has missed chances, made poor decisions with the ball and been mediocre at best in the majority of games.
Nobody was calling him shite.

I suggested he might need a kick up the arse as he looked mardy.
I also suggested he might struggle to keep his place if he didn't start finding the net as that was primarily his main job in the side. Done is also expected to score, but primarily he's there because of his work rate, effort, ability to close defenders and willingness to put his body on the line.

Now if Sharp has looked sharper, and has found his form again then great. Why the hell would anyone want to drop him. But just because some of you don't like the thought of dropping someone when out of form doesn't make you right. NO player should be in a side based on reputation or past performances. It should be on merit and them being the best person at the time to get the result.
I expect Done and Sharp to be fighting for one place very soon.
Suggesting that you see Clarke as the main man.

I suggest you might be wrong. Clarke will, for the most part, get the job of impact sub. He will get plenty of minutes, and will consistently come on every game. But he won't get a lot of starts.

Sharp and Clarke together won't work. It just won't. It's one or the other, in the main.

UTB

Ridiculously harsh on done , ever thought the work and chasing down that Matt does is creating the space and chances for the team and Billy in particular ?
Absolutely spot on
True he has missed a few chances but his work rate and pressing sees us have far more of the ball than we would normally and his movement creates space for others. Being a striker is more than just scoring goals. If it's working well for us, we are scoring goals and winning games like we are then I personally don't care who scores, just more of the last three games please

just starting to get into form, wonder if his haters still want him out ?

Poor OP imo. I call it how i see it and Billy Sharp has been very poor most of the season, although yesterday he was at the races for once and played well. If he plays like that for the rest of the season, then that's fine, if he plays has he has done for most of the campaign then he should be dropped. No vendetta against the lad, I like his attitude and he's a Blade from Sheffield so knows what it means, but if his form isn't there he should be dropped.

On a good day Sharp's hold up play is quite good, and he'll move the ball around well with his passing too. Oftentimes that's not the case. And then when he's not getting involved much we get the talk about how he's lazy, out of shape, not quick or skillful enough, or whatever.

But here's the thing, that's not really his prime role and never has been. What he does is get in good positions and score goals. It's no surprise at all that as soon as we start creating he starts scoring. That's what he's proven himself to be great at.

You can't overvalue what it is to start your season with a striker where you can think (as shown last season) "Even if we're playing mediocre to crap football, he'll bag 15+, and if we're playing well it'll be 20+". There'll likely be fifty odd strikers that making regular appearances for teams in this division and you'll be able to say it about three or four of them.

The Bradford fans' comments cement this. They'd love to have a striker who can do what Sharp can. And why don't they? Because they're really hard to find, and even harder to bring in to a League One club.
Billy will get you goals when you least expect them ,that's a class striker ,everyone is going on about the second goal (the ball from Fleck and the movement of Sharp were superb) but his first goal was class ,a great ball from Duffy ? and the header was right in the top corner ,the only place he could have beaten the keeper ,but the movement before and the stretch to get the ball was sublime.

Ridiculously harsh on done , ever thought the work and chasing down that Matt does is creating the space and chances for the team and Billy in particular ?

I am not Done's biggest fan, however his workrate and movement are part of why this team is doing well. I don't think he will ever have the instincts to score more goals than he does. I am not sure why fans have to isolate the 4 strikers we have and have their favourites or pin dolls. We need all 4 and we're also winning so whats the problem

Poor OP imo. I call it how i see it and Billy Sharp has been very poor most of the season, although yesterday he was at the races for once and played well. If he plays like that for the rest of the season, then that's fine, if he plays has he has done for most of the campaign then he should be dropped. No vendetta against the lad, I like his attitude and he's a Blade from Sheffield so knows what it means, but if his form isn't there he should be dropped.

You play your best players into form and you help them by giving him the ball in the right areas. I think there is enough in your post to say you will never be a fan, but 9 in 16 isn't awful is it.

Sorry but I must have missed the bits on here which said Billy was "lazy, out of shape or skilful enough" so let's not exaggerate.
As far as I remember people were expressing there concerns that he wasn't on top of his game in the early part of the season based on standards Billy set himself last year. We all know he has it in him and that he would get back to what we know he can do. Adapting to a change in system maybe? Who knows but he's certainly firing on all cylinders now

You play your best players into form and you help them by giving him the ball in the right areas. I think there is enough in your post to say you will never be a fan, but 9 in 16 isn't awful is it.

We'll see if yesterday was a one off or if Sharp drops back to what we've had most of the season from him. I'd be quite happy if he plays like yesterday for the rest of the campaign, it means it's good news for United. If players, no matter where they are in the pecking order, play poorly for a run of games then they should be dropped.

As far as I remember people were expressing there concerns that he wasn't on top of his game in the early part of the season based on standards Billy set himself last year.

As I recall the debate has generally been between fans that saw sub-par performances and suggested we stick with him because he's a quality striker, and those that saw sub-par performances and suggested he be dropped because it was a sign of his declining use (and that he could only perform well under Adkins). Throw in a handful of people that maintain we should never have signed him, plus the odd barmy thread (e.g. the multipager on Gary Sinclair saying "well played Billy" when he was subbed), and that about covers it

Looking at the celebration of the third goal I'm not convinced Billy isn't being an arsehole who thinks he's got a monopoly on our goalscoring and is entitled to claim anything that goes near him. I would've thought the team scoring would mean more to him.

It looked very much like Basham's goal yet Billy apparently claimed the match ball and had it signed. I hope Wilder had something to say to him about it. Plenty of the season to go, the hat trick can wait. It'll keep him motivated, something else for him to aim for. I suppose the fact it won't officially go down as his goal will dictate that anyway.

We'll see if yesterday was a one off or if Sharp drops back to what we've had most of the season from him. I'd be quite happy if he plays like yesterday for the rest of the campaign, it means it's good news for United. If players, no matter where they are in the pecking order, play poorly for a run of games then they should be dropped.

He's currently second highest scorer in the league and second on assists so unless all of them came yesterday, he's not doing too badly.

Hilarious how some see this.

If he's scoring regularly and contributing, he's undroppable.Cue Billy is magic type threads.

If not, he's missing too many chances, looking lethargic and should really be dropped from the side. Cue drop the lazy twat type threads.

Sharp's role, in Wilders side, is no longer the fox in the box he has built his reputation on. Very few players can boast as many career goals, so judging simply on goal output is an inevitability. Sharp, perhaps fuels this as it clear this is perhaps his only measure of his own individual performance. This is soooo wrong.

His performances as a genuine target and focal point have been more than acceptable, all season. His ability to read the game, retain possession and play an intelligent pass to set up further attacks have been very good. Doesn't always get this right, who does. All players have good, bad and indifferent performances.

Now, the perceived upturn in form. Yes more goals have come. 2 braces in a week. Impressive. 2nd top scorer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

Bottom line is Wilder is happy. He's probably among the first names on the sheet, and with good reason.

While scoring will always be a key measure, and a gateway to a strikers overall confidence, which we all know can be a fickle thing, it's, to my mind, not the be all and end all.

And certainly shouldn't be the difference between being dropped and undroppable !

UTB

I don't think any other top goal scorer anywhere else would be subjected to the same utter crap as Top Scorer Billy Sharp is at United.
But that's the Court Of Sheffield United Mob Opinion for you. They'll be sharpening their pitchforks for when Top Scorer Billy Sharp next has an off-day

What a unique and wonderful club.

I don't think any other top goal scorer anywhere else would be subjected to the same utter crap as Top Scorer Billy Sharp is at United.
But that's the Court Of Sheffield United Mob Opinion for you. They'll be sharpening their pitchforks for when Top Scorer Billy Sharp next has an off-day

I am fast becoming of the opinion that there is a large contingent of fans who can not accept what Billy brings to the side, simply cos he does not fit in the stereo typically "Bladey" requirement said fans crave for a "big un" up top. That it's essential to have this in L1. A James Hansen type, who had said fans salivating at the prospect of his signature this summer.

Don't know if any of you have noticed, but football has evolved. In L1 also. Lots of Teams play out from the back and through midfield. It's not essential to have a big un up top. It just isn't.

Not saying it doesn't have a place. It does. But it is categorically not essential, contrary to popular belief in parts of S2.

Time to move on from the days of Jestein Flu et al.

UTB

Hilarious how some see this.

If he's scoring regularly and contributing, he's undroppable.Cue Billy is magic type threads.

If not, he's missing too many chances, looking lethargic and should really be dropped from the side. Cue drop the lazy twat type threads.

Sharp's role, in Wilders side, is no longer the fox in the box he has built his reputation on. Very few players can boast as many career goals, so judging simply on goal output is an inevitability. Sharp, perhaps fuels this as it clear this is perhaps his only measure of his own individual performance. This is soooo wrong.

His performances as a genuine target and focal point have been more than acceptable, all season. His ability to read the game, retain possession and play an intelligent pass to set up further attacks have been very good. Doesn't always get this right, who does. All players have good, bad and indifferent performances.

Now, the perceived upturn in form. Yes more goals have come. 2 braces in a week. Impressive. 2nd top scorer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

Bottom line is Wilder is happy. He's probably among the first names on the sheet, and with good reason.

While scoring will always be a key measure, and a gateway to a strikers overall confidence, which we all know can be a fickle thing, it's, to my mind, not the be all and end all.

And certainly shouldn't be the difference between being dropped and undroppable !

UTB
Agree with this. Think his performances through the season so far have been more than acceptable and he has always made a big contribution to team performance, even though he hasn't always scored, or indeed, on occassion missed some real chances.
Hasn't deserved the earlier criticism in my opinion.

He's currently second highest scorer in the league and second on assists so unless all of them came yesterday, he's not doing too badly.
A goal, on average, every game and a half, based on mins played on BBC page.

This is how he's judged. It's wrong, but this is how it is.

UTB

My only worry at this point is that we sell him in January, said we have form in this area.

The views of a couple of Bradford fans.

"
“Sharp is exactly what we need at this level great with his back to goal the ball sticks up top and he has the eye for goal – we need to be on the money for January sales
However apart from him nobody stood out from their team to say I would have them in our team”

“2 poor sides on show today!
Billy Sharpe made Hanson look like a pub player and himself Messi.
What I would give for a Billy Sharpe in our team yet some feel Hanson is the answer to all our problems “

For Hanson, read Leon for many of the S2 Hoofwaffe !

UTB

The views of a couple of Bradford fans.

"
“Sharp is exactly what we need at this level great with his back to goal the ball sticks up top and he has the eye for goal – we need to be on the money for January sales
However apart from him nobody stood out from their team to say I would have them in our team”

“2 poor sides on show today!
Billy Sharpe made Hanson look like a pub player and himself Messi.
What I would give for a Billy Sharpe in our team yet some feel Hanson is the answer to all our problems “

For Hanson, read Leon for many of the S2 Hoofwaffe !

UTB

The two poor sides on show comment is an odd one!

Never stopped him previously
I think he knows if he sold Billy against CW's wishes he'd be risking CW telling him to fuck off, if not immediately but as soon as a better job came up, and if it ruined our promotion campaign, it could be the last straw for a few Blades and a fall in attendances and revenue next season.

Sorry but I must have missed the bits on here which said Billy was "lazy, out of shape or skilful enough" so let's not exaggerate.
As far as I remember people were expressing there concerns that he wasn't on top of his game in the early part of the season based on standards Billy set himself last year. We all know he has it in him and that he would get back to what we know he can do. Adapting to a change in system maybe? Who knows but he's certainly firing on all cylinders now

Yes, you must have missed them. Because there have been plenty, even if many have backed him all along.

Edit: Not going to drag up individual posts because I don't want to pick on individuals. But just page one of this thread has mentions of all the the things I said, http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/lavery-sharp.49648/

Last edited:

I've been one of Billy's biggest critics it's not personal I like him
It's based on his previous two spells where he's been toss

Glad he's doing well now

First spell wasn't spell. 2nd spell was the biggest mismanagement of a player ever. Sharp needs to be in the box, not fetching the ball for Beattie and Henderson like a bloody Labrador.

Adkins and Wilder know where he wants to and should play.

Back
Top Bottom