Billy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overweight, overpaid, only scores penalties.

Best striker in the division.

What utter self-satisfied bollocks. The most that was said by the vast majority of the "critics" was that he looked lethargic and was struggling a bit. He was. He isn't now. Well done Billy.

He worked as hard as anyone but things didn't come off for him, was almost trying too hard. I think this is more about giving him the ball in the right places

He worked as hard as anyone but things didn't come off for him, was almost trying too hard. I think this is more about giving him the ball in the right places

I thought he was half-hearted and pretty poor at the start mate, I didn't suggest however that he be dropped, sold or shot. I didn't myself notice that anyone else did.

Anyway, four in two speaks for itself. Well done. We should all be delighted with him for that.

I'm just not sure about the triumphalism. That's the bollocks.

Now then, about Matt Done.....

I've called Billy out a couple of times this season for what I perceived as poor performances (whilst maintaining that he should still be in our starting 11), so I think it's only fair to give him some praise for today.

Thought he was absolutely fantastic: worked his socks off, bullied their defence and took his goals brilliantly.

Well played today Blades, could've been tighter at the back but it's the attitude of this team that pleases me.

I thought he was half-hearted and pretty poor at the start mate, I didn't suggest however that he be dropped, sold or shot. I didn't myself notice that anyone else did.

Anyway, four in two speaks for itself. Well done. We should all be delighted with him for that.

I'm just not sure about the triumphalism. That's the bollocks.

I don't agree. Before the transfer window was shut there were quite a few saying he was a goner and Clarke should have his place. This is two fingers up to them for not sticking with one of their own, especially after getting 20 last season.

Watched the last two games (before today), where I thought Billy looked sharper and more determined, matching the motivation he showed last season. Although he didn't score against Port Vale, his general performance was a definite step in the right direction. Four goals in the last two shows he's capable of scoring when he's at his best.

Before this he had been in mediocre form, also showed by his goal rate from open play, i.e. penalties excepted. I don't think he was delighted with 3 from 13 starts either. I didn't agree with those who said Sharp's performances were irrelevant, that he was only in the team to finish off chances set up by others. Quite simply, he had to improve.

I think the defeat in the Trophy cup vs Walsall showed us that we weren't anything special unless our attitude is spot on. Despite our unbeaten run, a few of our performances were very average, as Wilder also admitted. But we seem to have used the 11-day break well and we've looked far stronger as a unit, pressing and counter attacking a lot better since. The style of football vs Port Vale and Shrewsbury was similar how it was described at Northampton under Wilder. I think Sharp has also used the break well, realising perhaps that he can't get away with 95% effort and determination.

We're all entitled to opinions and I respect yours. But I have to say, I just think you're wrong on this one. Some of Billy's hold up/link up play has been a cut above all season. He's worked hard for the team and scored goals (why don't penalties count?) even whilst the team haven't been providing him with great service. His work rate and will to win, in my eyes anyway, could never be questioned. He missed some chances, but these are chances he crafted with movement and intelligence that most strikers don't have at this level. His strike rate of, roughly, 1 in 2 has barely waivered. An injury to him right now would be a typically bladesque kick in the bollocks from the football gods.

Not scored more than one in a game since we signed him..... suddenly he gets two braces in five days!

I expect more of the same from him.

He could do with some help from his strike partner though. Done needs to be scoring more. His place should be under threat. I thought Lavery looked more of a threat when he came on. The sooner he starts the better for me.

Because we can't rely on Billy to score in every match.
We are making lots of opportunities and Lavery Clark ,and Done will get plenty playing like we do ,as well as the rest of the team. I heard 17 attempts today ,it was more than that.

We are making lots of opportunities and Lavery Clark ,and Done will get plenty playing like we do ,as well as the rest of the team. I heard 17 attempts today ,it was more than that.

Just saying the midfield could do with chipping in with more at some point in the future.

Not scored more than one in a game since we signed him..... suddenly he gets two braces in five days!

I expect more of the same from him.

He could do with some help from his strike partner though. Done needs to be scoring more. His place should be under threat. I thought Lavery looked more of a threat when he came on. The sooner he starts the better for me.
Ridiculously harsh on done , ever thought the work and chasing down that Matt does is creating the space and chances for the team and Billy in particular ?

Second top scorer in the division after today.

Interestingly (and I use the word loosely) 8 players on that list have had at least as many shots or more than Billy this season.

His % shots on target isn't too shappy either suggesting he wants to have a pop a bit more frequently to catch up with Morris

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

Ridiculously harsh on done , ever thought the work and chasing down that Matt does is creating the space and chances for the team and Billy in particular ?

Certainly not ridiculously harsh. I appreciate what his hard work does but he's missing far too many chances/not scoring goals, concedes too many fouls and doesn't offer a great deal with the ball. It's somewhere we should be looking to improve, whether with someone already at the club or a new signing. If we don't have too many goals from midfield then we need Sharp's strike partner to be fairly prolific. Just because we're doing well that doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for improvement, it doesn't mean every player's unquestionable.

He's wank.

Was wank 2 / 3 weeks ago.

Still wank.

Probably be more wank next week when he dunt score.

UTB

Certainly not ridiculously harsh. I appreciate what his hard work does but he's missing far too many chances/not scoring goals, concedes too many fouls and doesn't offer a great deal with the ball. It's somewhere we should be looking to improve, whether with someone already at the club or a new signing. If we don't have too many goals from midfield then we need Sharp's strike partner to be fairly prolific. Just because we're doing well that doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for improvement, it doesn't mean every player's unquestionable.
He's wank.

Was wank 2 / 3 weeks ago.

Still wank.

Probably be more wank next week when he dunt score.

UTB
After the third goal ( I thought bash got the last touch) sharp claimed the
goal he almost smacked Basham in
the corner as the players celebrated the goal,will be interesting who gets it in the end,Billy was furious if you watch it again on the high lights

After the third goal ( I thought bash got the last touch) sharp claimed the
goal he almost smacked Basham in
the corner as the players celebrated the goal,will be interesting who gets it in the end,Billy was furious if you watch it again on the high lights

I think You have over blow that. They both looked pumped at equalising

You've got to laugh .

Sharp gets slaughtered for scoring goals but not working hard enough .

Meanwhile his strike partner , Done , gets slaughtered for working hard enough but not scoring enough goals .

Only at the Lane :D:D

You've got to laugh .

Sharp gets slaughtered for scoring goals but not working hard enough .

Meanwhile his strike partner , Done , gets slaughtered for working hard enough but not scoring enough goals .

Only at the Lane :D:D

I don't think you know what slaughtered means.

And I've never said Sharp doesn't work hard enough.

Btw, if it's to be one or the other with strikers scoring goals is a bigger reason to keep them in the team than just working hard. Although Done does the hard work better than most.

I don't think you know what slaughtered means.

And I've never said Sharp doesn't work hard enough.

Btw, if it's to be one or the other with strikers scoring goals is a bigger reason to keep them in the team than just working hard. Although Done does the hard work better than most.

Sorry sir ...... sorry .

Billy has always been class and worth his weight in gold at this level.

I can't remember which moron I had to argue with last season who claimed he should have dropped despite being responsible for over 50% of our goals!

Moron, reveal yourself.

On a good day Sharp's hold up play is quite good, and he'll move the ball around well with his passing too. Oftentimes that's not the case. And then when he's not getting involved much we get the talk about how he's lazy, out of shape, not quick or skillful enough, or whatever.

But here's the thing, that's not really his prime role and never has been. What he does is get in good positions and score goals. It's no surprise at all that as soon as we start creating he starts scoring. That's what he's proven himself to be great at.

You can't overvalue what it is to start your season with a striker where you can think (as shown last season) "Even if we're playing mediocre to crap football, he'll bag 15+, and if we're playing well it'll be 20+". There'll likely be fifty odd strikers that making regular appearances for teams in this division and you'll be able to say it about three or four of them.

The Bradford fans' comments cement this. They'd love to have a striker who can do what Sharp can. And why don't they? Because they're really hard to find, and even harder to bring in to a League One club.

Back
Top Bottom