CONFIRMED Bénie Traoré

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He never really was a signing for this season, but due to our poor transfer window and injuries he was thrust into the first team earlier than anticipated.

Ideally, we'd have enough depth in our forward department to send him out on loan to a Championship club at some point (thenj he'd be good to go for us next season as one of our first choice strikers), but that's not looking likely now.

During the summer 2020/21 window the plan was to buy Balogun for £5m, loan him to a Championship club for a season, then he'd be one of our first choice strikers for the 21/22 season. But the deal never got green lit by him who controls the purse strings.

If, as expected, we are in the Championship next season, we'll have McBurnie, Brewster, Osulam, Traore and Marsh on our books, so shouldn't need to sign any new strikers (which we won't be able to anyway because they'll be no money).
Thats if mcburnie is still here.

You don't need to be a 6 foot 4 shithouse in English football it you do need to have some ability like Ndayie had where you are hard to bully. I am not sure if you can learn that but Benie has to do that or he won't play much. Mcburnie, archer Ousla, jebbo and Brewster all ahead of him for me.

You don't need to be a 6 foot 4 shithouse in English football it you do need to have some ability like Ndayie had where you are hard to bully. I am not sure if you can learn that but Benie has to do that or he won't play much. Mcburnie, archer Ousla, jebbo and Brewster all ahead of him for me.
Look at the starting ST in the PL this weekend. Pretty much all of them are tall strong quick athletic specimens. If Traore has a role to play for us this season it will be as a wide forward with McBurnie alone upfront.

Think he'll be excellent in the Championship next season

You can learn being hard to bully. Did it myself as a skinny 16 year old winger,, moving from lads football to county senior. Took me half a season to take stock of being smashed by big old lumps every week, learning how to anticipate what was coming, how to use my body, balance, speed and agility to my advantage. Benie is dealing with that type of thing but on a much bigger scale, however from what I have seen of him he has all the attributes that will help him to adapt. It will take time but it will happen.

You can learn being hard to bully. Did it myself as a skinny 16 year old winger,, moving from lads football to county senior. Took me half a season to take stock of being smashed by big old lumps every week, learning how to anticipate what was coming, how to use my body, balance, speed and agility to my advantage. Benie is dealing with that type of thing but on a much bigger scale, however from what I have seen of him he has all the attributes that will help him to adapt. It will take time but it will happen.
I do think that in the games I have seen him in that his attitude is good. He chases and tries to harry the opposing defenders. He will develop.
Ndiaye in his first season was hit and miss. At 70min he was going off with cramp. I would be more worried about Brewster and whether he can adapt.

Look at the starting ST in the PL this weekend. Pretty much all of them are tall strong quick athletic specimens. If Traore has a role to play for us this season it will be as a wide forward with McBurnie alone upfront.

Think he'll be excellent in the Championship next season
Jebbison and osula are both 6ft plus and get knocked off the ball as easily as traore ! Its a skill to be learnt as much as any other .

Someone for the future, definitely, but we need to get a few lads in who will make us better right now, not towards the end of the season or next year. I'd be stunned if he would go in and deliver straight from the start. I sort of like the signing, but only if we sign more qualified and experienced players who we come in and deliver straight from the start of the season. He is one for the future - not even clocked up 40 senior games in the Swedish league (the 23rd in Europe, behind leagues from Cyprus, Czech Republic, Israel and Serbia). Very good and promising, but just want to put it into perspective in terms what to expect from him.
No, I think he will need some time to adjust. This is one for the future, but of course I hope I will be proven wrong and that he can go in and deliver from the get go.

Hmmm. What do you guys reckon so far?

Hmmm. What do you guys reckon so far?
I don’t think it’s even fair on the boy to be honest. He needs 2/3 years out on loan somewhere. Send him to Swedish Premier league and see how he does. Then if he does okay a second rate League like Scotland and then if he passes those tests then he plays for us.

I don’t think it’s even fair on the boy to be honest. He needs 2/3 years out on loan somewhere. Send him to Swedish Premier league and see how he does. Then if he does okay a second rate League like Scotland and then if he passes those tests then he plays for us.
He's already done Swedish PL? Pointless move

A move to top end League One or somewhere like Rotherham would actually be ideal. He may be better than League One but it's not so much the standard but the difference in getting used to the English league that is the issue. It's been harsh on him and Larouci that both have had to be thrown in the deep end so to speak, whereas Slimane has been able to adjust more because we have more bodies in midfield. In time hopefully Traore and Slimane will prove to be good players but we needed more players who could improve on what we had now, and instead we're back playing Norwood most weeks and we all saw the difference Doyle added to Norwood. I love Norwood, I think he's been superb for us and can still do a job but he's not someone you want every week playing unless he's surrounded by players who are superior to him and just allow him to sit but I'm not sure we've got that luxury to be honest.

I mean in relatin to my initial review of him

Loan to a league 1/championship club in January to a play where he'll get regular games and some decent service, then hopefully he'll be ready for us next season, because he definitely isn't ready for us this season. Same with Osula, Brewster and Jebbo really.

So far, a shocking waste of valuable transfer kitty. I’ve seen nothing to suggest he's anything more than league 1 or bottom end championship at best.

Awful, awful transfer business, again!
Who could we get for the money we spent? He was scoring goals and is the right age. So far it hasn't worked out but it was a relatively cheap punt at a time when we couldn't spend big. If he managed to find the goals he was scoring the season before then we'd be saying it was the signing of the century!

Who could we get for the money we spent? He was scoring goals and is the right age. So far it hasn't worked out but it was a relatively cheap punt at a time when we couldn't spend big. If he managed to find the goals he was scoring the season before then we'd be saying it was the signing of the century!
He was scoring in a league that ranks 24th in the top leagues (top of each country) in europe. So excludes the championship. Which would 100% rank higher. Cyprus, Romania and Belarus rank higher than the swedish league. For context the Belgian league ranks 13th, so coulibaly was playing at a waaay better standard and look how he’s done.

5 million is a decent amount of cash. I don’t think it’s about buying 1 player for 5 mill (unless we are poaching academy kids) but upgrading another of our purchases to be better, maybe would allow us to stretch to buying doyle, or a loan.

I’ve seen nothing in his play with us or his youtube ‘highlights’ that suggests he’s anything other than average.

When we’re so skint you just can’t afford to waste 5 mill on a 100k player.

Good to see him getting some minutes and scoring..

African/middle east U23s standard, IMO that is the sound of the barrel being well and truly scraped by our social meeja team, unless the iraqi youngsters are a force in world football these days.

He was scoring in a league that ranks 24th in the top leagues (top of each country) in europe. So excludes the championship. Which would 100% rank higher. Cyprus, Romania and Belarus rank higher than the swedish league. For context the Belgian league ranks 13th, so coulibaly was playing at a waaay better standard and look how he’s done.

5 million is a decent amount of cash. I don’t think it’s about buying 1 player for 5 mill (unless we are poaching academy kids) but upgrading another of our purchases to be better, maybe would allow us to stretch to buying doyle, or a loan.

I’ve seen nothing in his play with us or his youtube ‘highlights’ that suggests he’s anything other than average.

it's another huge transfer gamble gone horribly wrong.
If you are a 5 foot 5 striker then you have got to be extremely good/world class at a fair few things to make up for the lack of phsyicality. He isn't - which could have been easily scouted. As you aluded to this kid was playing in a league way way below the championship so it was a huge punt.
In short we have had our trousers well and truly pulled down on this deal.

Kid scores on youth international duty and take it as an opportunity to have a dig at him? Odd take..

He was brought in for a view for the future. Let's see what he can produce next season if we get relegated.

I still have high hopes for him at Championship level tbh.

African/middle east U23s standard, IMO that is the sound of the barrel being well and truly scraped by our social meeja team, unless the iraqi youngsters are a force in world football these days.

it's another huge transfer gamble gone horribly wrong.
If you are a 5 foot 5 striker then you have got to be extremely good/world class at a fair few things to make up for the lack of phsyicality. He isn't - which could have been easily scouted. As you aluded to this kid was playing in a league way way below the championship so it was a huge punt.
In short we have had our trousers well and truly pulled down on this deal.
Think you mean pulled down again 👍

He's just playing in totally the wrong side. We need players who can create something out of nothing to win a match.

He looks fast and able to finish but he can't hold the man off to get round anyone. If he had balls to chase onto through the middle I think he'd score but we don't create any chances like that.

As others have said If he was playing for Leicester I think he'd score a few.

Madness to think some are writing Traore off after four months but Jebbison is still going to be the next Deane after 3 and a half years of making his debut...

Oh and that's Traore who's not even had a chance in the championship. (The league where Jebbo struggled)

Last edited:

Madness to think some are writing Traore off after four months but Jebbison is still going to be the next Deane after 3 and a half years of making his debut...

Oh and that's Traore who's not even had a chance in the championship. (The league where Jebbo struggled)
madness to think that no one has said that
not once
never
madness

Back
Top Bottom