Away kit

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea when it's coming out? As other teams with Adidas as their kit manufacturer are showing their new shirts, including away for some

Don't know, ask the question in one of the other away kit threads:rolleyes:

heres what they now call a teaser
View attachment 12104
Looks like a Madrid GK shirt to me

Real-Madrid-14-15-Goalkeeper-Third-Kit.jpg

Speaking of away kits, what's going on here? Which team is playing in our away kit? Which year? Did we win (we couldn't lose, thinking about it)?
sheff-utd-wrong-kit.jpg

Speaking of away kits, what's going on here? Which team is playing in our away kit? Which year? Did we win (we couldn't lose, thinking about it)?
sheff-utd-wrong-kit.jpg

I reckon that is Rachid Harkouk in the away kit, so we must be playing Palace at the Lane.

Edit
I reckon Geoff Salmons was playing on loan for us.

PS Best away kit ever!

I reckon that is Rachid Harkook in the away kit, so we must be playing Luton at the Lane.
No, it is Blades v Palace in Sept 1977. Ref wasnt happy with Palace's kit so they wore our away kit. The Blades players are Geoff Salmons (in front) and Mick Speight. Ian Evans is the Palace player

We lost 2-0. Highlights of the match was shown on YTV in the next day

No, it is Blades v Palace in Sept 1977. Ref wasnt happy with Palace's kit so they wore our away kit. The Blades players are Geoff Salmons (in front) and Mick Speight. Ian Evans is the Palace player

We lost 2-0. Highlights of the match was shown on YTV in the next day

I was editing as you posted, SB. Realised it was Palace not Luton. Was I right about Salmons being on loan? Got a feeling this was the last game of the loan.

You see that happened back in the seventies, Referees were noted for their dress sense - they only wore black and so occasionally they would make judgements on the style of the kit and if it didn't pass muster would condemn a crap kit as happened in the Palace fixture.

This subsidiary role as 'fashion-police' has largely died out but if it hadn't, it would have been quite possible that a style-savvy ref would have stopped the Blades playing in the now derided 'forest-away kit' look that adidas® foisted on us in 2015. Looking back on it it seems hard to believe that the Emperors of the club were so easily taken in by those naughty tailors.

I was at the game after the one in the photo so I had a programme with photos of the match in it. It used to puzzle me whether or not Palace were wearing our kit or their own. The photos were black and white and didn't they have a very similar badge to ours (from a distance)? - instead of crossed swords their's had an eagle with its wings spread quite similarly.

At around this time, Palace decided they should be called the 'Eagles' instead of their traditional nickname of the 'Glaziers'. For the benefit of younger viewers they were originally owned by the Glazier family (hence the moniker) but when they bought Manchester United, the lead singer of the middle-of-the-road rock group, the Eagles bought Crystal Palace from them because he had an interest in Quartz and Amethysts and got confused.

I was editing as you posted, SB. Realised it was Palace not Luton. Was I right about Salmons being on loan? Got a feeling this was the last game of the loan.
Yes, Salmons was on a months loan and the Palace match was his first in his second spell for us. His last was in the 1-1 draw at Palace. I never got to see him play for us in that loan spell because I was in my 5th year at boarding school and I was expecting to see him play when I came home for the October holidays but was disappointed when Leicester signed him from Stoke

You see that happened back in the seventies, Referees were noted for their dress sense - they only wore black and so occasionally they would make judgements on the style of the kit and if it didn't pass muster would condemn a crap kit as happened in the Palace fixture.

This subsidiary role as 'fashion-police' has largely died out but if it hadn't, it would have been quite possible that a style-savvy ref would have stopped the Blades playing in the now derided 'forest-away kit' look that adidas® foisted on us in 2015. Looking back on it it seems hard to believe that the Emperors of the club were so easily taken in by those naughty tailors.

I was at the game after the one in the photo so I had a programme with photos of the match in it. It used to puzzle me whether or not Palace were wearing our kit or their own. The photos were black and white and didn't they have a very similar badge to ours (from a distance)? - instead of crossed swords their's had an eagle with its wings spread quite similarly.

At around this time, Palace decided they should be called the 'Eagles' instead of their traditional nickname of the 'Glaziers'. For the benefit of younger viewers they were originally owned by the Glazier family (hence the moniker) but when they bought Manchester United, the lead singer of the middle-of-the-road rock group, the Eagles bought Crystal Palace from them because he had an interest in Quartz and Amethysts and got confused.

Stay off the glue, Vorps!

This was my first ever match. If I remember rightly Steve Conroy was in our net and their second goal was a penalty. I never realised they were in our away kit, but I was only 8 years old at the time.
UTB!

This was my first ever match. If I remember rightly Steve Conroy was in our net and their second goal was a penalty. I never realised they were in our away kit, but I was only 8 years old at the time.
UTB!
Jim Brown was in the net for that match but Steve Conroy played in the following season's home game against Palace. We lost 2-0 again and Palace wore their own away kit this time. Imre Varadi's debut for us. Mike Elwiss and Dave Swindlehurst scored for Palace, both in the 1st half at the Kop End

I think Mike Elwiss's Mum lived across the road from us in Doncaster and it wasn't glue, it was saddle-soap.

I was trying to get some cycling shoes suppled up, mind you, it works, I seem to have written a piece with rare clarity and no little insight, I didn't think I knew half of that myself.

I just had a look at the video of the Colchester match that Silent mentions, I'd always naively assumed that we'd set off without our away kit (would it have been the brown and yellow one?) and had to stop off at an Essex sports shop to buy 11 adidas tee-shirts en-route to the game. Colchester's kit in that game is an example of adidas getting a striped kit all wrong, no striped sleeves and the white stripes are too broad so there are just 3 blue ones down the front, Notts County and no doubt a few more shared this template I thought it was a very poor show.

We wore Colchester's away kit at Layer Road in February 1982 but we lost 5-2!

I believe that was because it was on BBC match of the day and at that time us and Liverpool were the only two clubs with shirt sponsors and the BBC wouldn't show teams with sponsors on as it was considered advertising, and whereas Liverpool had alternate strips for when the cameras turned up we didn't so we had to wear the Colchester second kit.

Back
Top Bottom