Are we not gonna mention when norwood kicked the ball straight out from the centre spot?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We have been playing that ball from the kick off for years. Normally it goes back to Norwood first.
David Unsworth's favourite trick, and probably every other player we have between now and the end of times favourite trick.
The tactics are, get rid of possession as quickly as possible, so that everyone can get behind the ball and nobody should be ahead of it.

Always wondered in that situation why don't teams ever chip the ball back to a defender who can head or chest it to the keeper, then Wes could have waited until their strikers ran half the pitch to close him down before picking up the ball, kill a few seconds and launch it all the way down the pitch anyway.

Always wondered in that situation why don't teams ever chip the ball back to a defender who can head or chest it to the keeper, then Wes could have waited until their strikers ran half the pitch to close him down before picking up the ball, kill a few seconds and launch it all the way down the pitch anyway.
Because Wes, would have chucked the ball down& tried to dribble round him, lost possession , you know the rest.

That would still count as a back pass. When the back pass rule can in (1992), the situation you describe was called a “manufactured back pass”, but I don’t know if that’s still the term.
Hmm are you sure about this?

I had thought a manufactured back pass is when a defender flicks it up themselves to head it etc, not when a teammate does it.

Hmm are you sure about this?

I had thought a manufactured back pass is when a defender flicks it up themselves to head it etc, not when a teammate does it.

Yes. The law states:

“If a player initiates a deliberate trick for the ball to be passed (including from a free kick or goal kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law, whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with the hands; the goalkeeper is penalised if responsible for initiating the deliberate trick.”

This can involve more than one player (it notes “initiating” the deliberate trick).

Yes. The law states:

“If a player initiates a deliberate trick for the ball to be passed (including from a free kick or goal kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law, whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with the hands; the goalkeeper is penalised if responsible for initiating the deliberate trick.”

This can involve more than one player (it notes “initiating” the deliberate trick).
Thanks. I'd be curious to see how this works in practise. Norwood could have passed it back to Robinson with good intention, who then opted to head back to Wes rather than control or launch it. The wording suggests Norwood is at fault in that scenario.

For that reason I feel "trick" is a pretty unambiguous word to use, when "action" or "movement" seem more general and therefore more appropriate.

Is a chipped pass really considered a "trick"? It's hardly like Ernie Hunt doing a donkey kick.

If time was up I’d sort of get in because I was fully expecting a repeat of spurs away. But we a couple of minutes still left it was very odd

Thanks. I'd be curious to see how this works in practise. Norwood could have passed it back to Robinson with good intention, who then opted to head back to Wes rather than control or launch it. The wording suggests Norwood is at fault in that scenario.

For that reason I feel "trick" is a pretty unambiguous word to use, when "action" or "movement" seem more general and therefore more appropriate.

Is a chipped pass really considered a "trick"? It's hardly like Ernie Hunt doing a donkey kick.
Can overcomplicate things here. The way it works in practice is that players know better than to do the things you're suggesting. It's a rule that's interpreted in the spirit it's intended i.e. trying to find clever ideas to get around the rule is what the rule is against.

It annoyed me. It also annoyed me when, with 20 seconds to go, we didn't let Robinson launch a long throw into the box.

This sort of lack of game state awareness really fucking annoys me. How we don't have a set piece package for when there is clearly not enough time for the opposition to break that involves throwing everyone (yes, even Wes) in the box is severe negligence

It's a rule that's interpreted in the spirit it's intended i.e. trying to find clever ideas to get around the rule is what the rule is against.
If that was really the case, all such actions would break the rule and not just "tricks".

I'd be curious to learn what % of players know better. I think the risk of getting it wrong is a much bigger reason we don't see it. I'd be certain there are players unaware that only a pass played below their knee is considered a backpass

Norwood is at least three years past his sell by date along with Fleck. If those two are offered contracts for next season my piss will go past boiling point onto volcanic magma proportions.

Fleck I'm totally down with you on that one, but assuming we go down, Norwood would still have a role to play as a squad player at Championship level for me. If he doesn't accept a contract at a level which reflects that, I wouldn't be bothered about losing him

If that was really the case, all such actions would break the rule and not just "tricks".
No. If a player intentionally plays the ball back to the keeper with their foot then the keeper can't pick the ball up. If the player kicks the ball and it ends up going near the keeper then it's not a deliberate back pass and no offence is committed.

It's the same deal for your idea. If a player plays a ball to me and I head it back the keeper then that's fine in principle. If me and another player do this, in the opinion of the referee, to deliberately circumvent the back pass rule then it will be a freekick.

It's a subjective decision on the part of the referee but doing it in a way that effectively wastes time while not being patently obvious almost certainly isn't worth the risk.

On the above, it is another law that over complicates the game and doesn’t need to be in there. A back pass to the keeper whether he boots it or picks it up, what difference in reality does it make. Across the season how many back pass in direct free kicks are given in professional football? They barely stick with the holding for 6 seconds although I do agree with that Law.

He did it many times during the match. He was very poor last night,same as George. He has always been the same,press him and he’s fucked,give him time and he’s Glen Hoddle. Been a great servant to utd, but it’s caught up with him big time.
Stop Norwood, stop United. Was the same in that wobbly spell last season when we nearly gave up a 13 point lead. Had to take him out the team once Doyle was fully fit. Also brought the best out of Berge once he was dropped as he actually had someone that was mobile next to him so could make forward passes

If u can't lift your leg to clear ball on edge of your own area then ur done

Fleck I'm totally down with you on that one, but assuming we go down, Norwood would still have a role to play as a squad player at Championship level for me. If he doesn't accept a contract at a level which reflects that, I wouldn't be bothered about losing him
Agreed, if he’s a player to come on and change the way we play in the Championship he’s fine. As a PL midfielder playing against strong, fit and quick midfielders he’s nowhere near the level required.

For half of last season he was excellent, then Doyle stepped up and we looked a much different team.

Our most fluent performances last season were prior to the WC break when ON was pulling all the strings.
Admittedly when teams pressed him he tailed off a bit, but he made a massive contribution to last season. The Blackburn and Reading games were ones that stood out for me and Ollie was instrumental.
This season, sadly after all he has done for us, he is not at the required level.

which one kick it out so the opposition get the ball , bit mad just a more misplaced pass than usual
Yeah. Launch it. A bit like in rugby. Everyone moves up and presses them further up the pitch.

Was wilder going mental when he did it?

If not, he either told him to or agreed with it.

Squinny used to get dogs abuse around me for hooking the ball blindly over his shoulder all the time. He did this week in week out despite being one of our better ball players. He was never dropped, despite his detractors, because he was doing as he was told. When Blackwell left Quinn went back to being one of our better ball players again. Never blindly helped it on again.

Yeah. Launch it. A bit like in rugby. Everyone moves up and presses them further up the pitch.

Was wilder going mental when he did it?

If not, he either told him to or agreed with it.

Squinny used to get dogs abuse around me for hooking the ball blindly over his shoulder all the time. He did this week in week out despite being one of our better ball players. He was never dropped, despite his detractors, because he was doing as he was told. When Blackwell left Quinn went back to being one of our better ball players again. Never blindly helped it on again.
A famous ex-poster on here used to call him ‘elpiton’.

Back
Top Bottom