Archer’s goal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No such thing as a poor penalty if it goes in. Which may I add was its self an absolute fantastic penalty no one is saving that even with 2 keepers. Exactly how they should be taken. Totally opposite to the Lincoln cup shoot out.

For me his Pen was poor in technique. You’d never sit down and tell people this is how you take a pen. Yeh he hits the net, that’s all you want at the end of the day but it’s a poorly taken pen and could very nearly have been the worst Penno anyone has ever seen in a Blades shirt a’la Simmo!!!!

For me his Pen was poor in technique. You’d never sit down and tell people this is how you take a pen. Yeh he hits the net, that’s all you want at the end of the day but it’s a poorly taken pen and could very nearly have been the worst Penno anyone has ever seen in a Blades shirt a’la Simmo!!!!
Will have to agree to disagree.

Alan shearer used this technique often, and he is classed as a very good pen taker, strike it hard and central (ish) most keepers don't stand a chance. If you are a good striker of the ball, this is the way you should take them in a shootout/high pressure moment Majority of the time.

Yes, simmos was pretty bad with this technique, but you only have to look about 9 games ago to Lincoln match and those 2 that tried to pass it in with no power was just as bad. *note Egan also missed trying to do similar to Norwood he hit the bar, but didn't look half has bad as those other two.

But I think we can both come to the conclusion if it goes in then its job done at the end of the day lol.

Thought the goal was fantastic, but he's frustrating in equal measure. He sometimes struggles to read the play IMO and takes up positions that result in other players being unable to feed him. I get he's hoping to play off the shoulder of his defender and looking to make runs in behind, but sometimes, he needs to make himself available for a 1-2 in the build up phase.

It's no doubt about familiarity and the rest of the team feeling confident and getting on the front foot, to make those incisive passes, but I actually found myself shouting at the screen on Saturday as he moved behind an oppo player when Souza/Norwood/Bogle/Furious were being closed down and needed an out ball. It's a fine line, playing off the shoulder, and all parties need to be on the same page but his movement can be quite frustrating at times, particularly when we're under the cosh in our own half.

He's 21 and only a year older than Osula and Jebbo who are still in the "young prospect" stages of their career so expecting him to be a full player is probably asking a lot.

For our whole front line the old man is Mcburnie who is only 27! If there's money a old head to come in would be something i would look at

Thought the goal was fantastic, but he's frustrating in equal measure. He sometimes struggles to read the play IMO and takes up positions that result in other players being unable to feed him. I get he's hoping to play off the shoulder of his defender and looking to make runs in behind, but sometimes, he needs to make himself available for a 1-2 in the build up phase.

It's no doubt about familiarity and the rest of the team feeling confident and getting on the front foot, to make those incisive passes, but I actually found myself shouting at the screen on Saturday as he moved behind an oppo player when Souza/Norwood/Bogle/Furious were being closed down and needed an out ball. It's a fine line, playing off the shoulder, and all parties need to be on the same page but his movement can be quite frustrating at times, particularly when we're under the cosh in our own half.
What's Jack Lester's job description?

Yeah, it was a brilliant finish. Think most other players would have tried to get closer to goal but to get it off before the defender caught up and catching Sa off guard - really well done. Two reyt finishes today! ⚔️

Having watched this again for more times I dare to admit to , I’ve come to the conclusion that it has to be in the top ten of all the goals I’ve ever seen from a Blades player . It truly is a thing of great beauty .

I’ve also come to realise that in my original post , it was remiss of me not to mention the importance of McAtee’s role in helping to create it . Ok , he got lucky with the ricochet off his shin which sent it in Archer’s direction but if you look closely, when he receives the ball he is tightly marked by three defenders , but in the blink of an eye effortlessly gets past the first one with a wonderful little piece of skill .

I don’t think that my comparison of Archer’s strike to that of some of those by the wonderful Woody was an exaggeration , and nor would it be to say that Macca’s sublime flick on this occasion was one which only a handful of our greatest players would have been capable of .

I like Archer a lot.

I think he's a bargain. He isn't the finished project just yet, he is a bit inconsistent. But I think in a few years he's gonna be a solid Premier League level striker.

I can’t imagine Villa having much use for Archer. Not doubting his ability, but I think they’re pushing for a level that he’s not currently at. Personally, I think if we go down, he will go to a newly promoted club or stay at a club that is mid-table.

I really like him though, he’s everything that I hoped Brewster would be. A clever striker, who is a clinical finisher.

McAtee has a higher ceiling, once he gets into his groove, and becomes more confident. We’re going to have a top 6 player pulling the strings for us.

These two are going to be the reason we stay up, if we do.

I like Souza, again, think he will improve, same with Anis and Trusty.

These are the players we need to get in. Players with a good foundation, who want and could step up to the next level.

Classic case of twat it and hope for the best.
That old saying of you miss 100% of the chances you don’t take. Definitely worth a strike, wonder how many others would have had the quick thinking to hit it. In our squad not many would have been there never mind get the shot off, probably would have ended up being tackled! Or smashing it into row Z

I can’t imagine Villa having much use for Archer. Not doubting his ability, but I think they’re pushing for a level that he’s not currently at. Personally, I think if we go down, he will go to a newly promoted club or stay at a club that is mid-table.

I really like him though, he’s everything that I hoped Brewster would be. A clever striker, who is a clinical finisher.

McAtee has a higher ceiling, once he gets into his groove, and becomes more confident. We’re going to have a top 6 player pulling the strings for us.

These are the players we need to get in. Players with a good foundation, who want and could step up to the next level.
Agree with you there to be honest and still plenty of years ahead of him too. Although older the Osula you would hope that he can push on to be competitive if we stay up if we go down to replace.

Will have to agree to disagree.

Alan shearer used this technique often, and he is classed as a very good pen taker, strike it hard and central (ish) most keepers don't stand a chance. If you are a good striker of the ball, this is the way you should take them in a shootout/high pressure moment Majority of the time.

Yes, simmos was pretty bad with this technique, but you only have to look about 9 games ago to Lincoln match and those 2 that tried to pass it in with no power was just as bad. *note Egan also missed trying to do similar to Norwood he hit the bar, but didn't look half has bad as those other two.

But I think we can both come to the conclusion if it goes in then its job done at the end of the day lol.
I was thinking the same thing, almost every penalty Shearer took, he smashed the leather off it and I think he only ever missed a handful.

James Beattie likewise, never in doubt whenever he stepped up for us - spin round, run up and whack it. None of this stuttering run rubbish and side footing it into the keepers gloves.

Archer's touch was poor. It was too soft and took him to the right which broke his stride and gave the defender chance to catch him up.
He had to hit it when he did and good for him that he caught it just right.

I've watched the goal from both angles now (from underneath and from overhead) and I have to say I think it defies the laws of physics. In fact, I'll go as far to say Archer may have inadvertently discovered a new law of physics. I no longer know what is real and what is not.

We have to look for every opportunity of getting a result each week. Making the most of our assets.

When McAtee is coming in from either the left or right he needs to get into the box and invite players to make a tackle. His skill and movement could lead to penalties.

I was thinking the same thing, almost every penalty Shearer took, he smashed the leather off it and I think he only ever missed a handful.

James Beattie likewise, never in doubt whenever he stepped up for us - spin round, run up and whack it. None of this stuttering run rubbish and side footing it into the keepers gloves.
Same with free kicks too - 2008 there was that we where he smashed that one in at home vs the pigs on the Tuesday night and then followed it up away at Burnley on the Saturday - from memory it was pretty far out too

Back
Top Bottom