above average

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Quite a specific point you make, but we have 5 in all competitions so far this season. We had 9 in total the whole of last season (all November onwards). So if anything, of we continue in this way, they won't be thinner on the ground at all.

We won without conceding 15 times last season, so far this it's been 8.
I understand this foxy and good stats btw,i also think we'd all settle for it,but what i think it boils down too is the fact we don't kill teams off a tad easier so it leaves us all a little frustrated!

Quite a specific point you make, but we have 5 in all competitions so far this season. We had 9 in total the whole of last season (all November onwards). So if anything, of we continue in this way, they won't be thinner on the ground at all.

Ah, better than I expected then. Mind you, a 1-0 win in the cup is worth nothing to us in the league, so it's 4 so far in 17 games, better than last season overall (though not better than the Clough-only period, which is more the issue).

But do you think our defence is weaker than last year, Foxy?

The surprise for me is that we have tightened up since Collins was left out. I always thought Collins had his faults but was an organiser and good enough for this level.

I see the thought process about McCarthy but only because Clough seems determined to make a midfielder out of Basham who would be ideal at the back. When he was playing there it was a big bonus when he carried the ball into midfield and he was quality in his positional play and presence. My only deduction is that Clough must have promised him a midfield spot before he signed. Lets hope it works out. Maybe it's forward planning too because Doyle can't last forever.

The surprise for me is that we have tightened up since Collins was left out. I always thought Collins had his faults but was an organiser and good enough for this level.

I see the thought process about McCarthy but only because Clough seems determined to make a midfielder out of Basham who would be ideal at the back. When he was playing there it was a big bonus when he carried the ball into midfield and he was quality in his positional play and presence. My only deduction is that Clough must have promised him a midfield spot before he signed. Lets hope it works out. Maybe it's forward planning too because Doyle can't last forever.

My view on Collins ,is that with Harry , it was a partnership in which they complimented each other , covering each other's strengths and weaknesses.
Collins appears uneasy with any other centre-back he has now played with , and his weaknesses have been exposed. Basham to me does seem more comfotable at Centre back , with his ball carrying out of defence , positioning and reading of the game , which helps both defence and midfield . His final position in the team will be down to Mr Clough , but for me is strengh is in the back four.

Time will tell , this season and the next for Basham . Doyle will be given a contract extension in the championship , with Reed in the background.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom