"We had a game plan"

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
"We had a game plan. If we could start on the front foot and play in their half we would dominate the game" Robinson, MKD v Oldham today.

"If we could just keep it tight and create few chances against a tough side like Walsall, I think we might possibly sneak a 1-0 win in the 2nd half."

Nigel Clough - United v Walsall today.

Walsall were absolutely PISS POOR today - we went to 4 in midfield and got absolutely swamped in midfield on our own patch, to a poor side - those fans advocating 4 in midfield such reassess their thoughts - might be good in theory, we DO NOT have the players, especially with Baxter and Scoogal in midfield to pull it off.

Baxter and Scougal just does not work.

UTB

Walsall were absolutely PISS POOR today - we went to 4 in midfield and got absolutely swamped in midfield on our own patch, to a poor side - those fans advocating 4 in midfield such reassess their thoughts - might be good in theory, we DO NOT have the players, especially with Baxter and Scoogal in midfield to pull it off.

UTB

Can't agree more tbh. Walsall were horrific in defence, the amount of times they frivolously gave the ball away in their half, sliced clearances and had no awareness. It's getting irritating now how we pick our team to accommodate Baxter and Scougall.

UTB
One runs about like a headless chicken and one stands still like a headless chicken.

Walsall are the only football team I've seen at the Lane this season. I'm expecting the grand total to be two after we play Crewe.

Also...

"We had a game plan. If we could kick lumps out of them and make sure most of the time the ball wasn't in play, we could prevent a football match taking place."

Robinson - Sheff Utd v MK Dons

One runs about like a headless chicken and one stands still like a headless chicken.

yep, fair assessment of the two of them.

We are going to get no where if we continue to play Baxter in the form he is in. Did one "quick" run early on, then back to normal. Plays a pass and just gawps at it in stead of looking for the return ball or to get involved - that type of player just drives me nuts.

UTB

Wier signed both Baxter and Cuvellier together - have seen more from Flo in 2 and a bit games than nearly all of Baxter all season.

Just get Flo fit PLEASE.........and quickly.

UTB
Or was it Julian Winter ?

UTB

UTB
Too right fulwood we dont have the legs to play 442 its a myth playing two upfront makes you more attacking the majority of succesful teams play a
flexable system around a 433 and that is the way clough is building his squad its not working as yet but it will.Playing a flexable system gives you the best options both offensively and defensively.Clough maybe has been too pro-active with team changers so far this season but is searching for the right blend and niggling injuries havnt helped. this window is vital i feel to acheave what we crave and if clough gets the right backing we can still acheave promotion this season fingers crossed!!
433 doesnt stop you playing with two strikers its all about hard work and players working for each other

Too right fulwood we dont have the legs to play 442 its a myth playing two upfront makes you more attacking the majority of succesful teams play a
flexable system around a 433 and that is the way clough is building his squad its not working as yet but it will.Playing a flexable system gives you the best options both offensively and defensively.Clough maybe has been too pro-active with team changers so far this season but is searching for the right blend and niggling injuries havnt helped. this window is vital i feel to acheave what we crave and if clough gets the right backing we can still acheave promotion this season fingers crossed!!
433 doesnt stop you playing with two strikers its all about hard work and players working for each other

Both spot on . individually we have got good midfield players , collectively for league 1 fight and battles , not good enough .. Baxter and Scougal have not got the strength or mental capacity ,in understanding different situations in a game , therefore it is counter productive to play them together. Formation 433 does suit the Blades and is interchangeable with

CF with 2no wide players as wingers

2no forwards and a player positioned in the final third.

All 3no playing as tight forwards.

The missing link is Wallace , but due to injuries and lack of first team playing time , Mr Clough cannot rely on him making a continuous positive contribution , throughout this season.

All players have been given a chance to prove there worth under Mr Clough , and we have gone past the point of no return , in searching for the right blend . We have the perfect system for us with a interchangeable 433 formation . The task for Mr Clough and the board is to find and purchase the right players , having quality ,a football brain. and hard work / leadership attributes.

This then will put us in contention for promotion. A bit of that game changing investment , needs to come true , and show us all that the club really means business.

UTB

UTB

I thought Walsall looked half decent today Fulwood but then again I have thought that about most of the sides we have played at home this season. Maybe it's us that are making these teams appear so, by the way we play against them.

Walsall looked decent after they scored. But that must have been their first attempt on goal.

As for us, that should have been the sort of nondescript 1-0 win that's the staple of a promotion team. Except we lack the edge to get through games like these.

I thought Walsall looked half decent today Fulwood but then again I have thought that about most of the sides we have played at home this season. Maybe it's us that are making these teams appear so, by the way we play against them.

you are correct they did look half decent - because we were so inept in midfield - they were shocking, we were shocking too.

Just an opinion, but scoogs and baxter do not work, couple with a slightly misfiring murphy and a young kid playing his second game. Adams looks a prospect, but we were so off the pace in midfield today it was embarrassing. Walsall capitalised on out ineptness, and you have to give them credit for that.

We missed a glorious chance last week of 3 points - we did exactly the same this week. The league is poor, we are just not steppin gup to the plate when needed and our game "management" is quite shocking when we have to go on the offensive.

We look brilliant when playing the cup formation and it works, but it is impossible to play like that at home to Notts/MK/Walsall etc.

UTB

you are correct they did look half decent - because we were so inept in midfield - they were shocking, we were shocking too.

Just an opinion, but scoogs and baxter do not work, couple with a slightly misfiring murphy and a young kid playing his second game. Adams looks a prospect, but we were so off the pace in midfield today it was embarrassing. Walsall capitalised on out ineptness, and you have to give them credit for that.

We missed a glorious chance last week of 3 points - we did exactly the same this week. The league is poor, we are just not steppin gup to the plate when needed and our game "management" is quite shocking when we have to go on the offensive.

We look brilliant when playing the cup formation and it works, but it is impossible to play like that at home to Notts/MK/Walsall etc.

UTB

That post nails it Fulwood. It saddens me that staunch Clough supporters like you and me are running out of patience at last but I think it's fair to say that Clough's "honeymoon period" lasted about a year.

Poor player recruitment, team selection and game management are all coming home to roost.

However Adams and Scougall stayed on the pitch so long upset me yesterday and McGahey going to full back was bizarre. Why not go 3 at the back at half time. Harris would have revelled in a more forward role. We are short of full backs so why not adapt?

I disagree with you about Baxter who provided the game's only two moments of incisive quality; his through ball for the goal and his incredible shot which hit the bar. No doubting he had a poor game but in our side we need players who can change the game in a moment. Not a single other players did that all game.

I fully agree that we can't play Scougall and Baxter together at present because Scougall has been poor value for weeks. Apparently McNulty had a thigh strain otherwise either Baxter or Scougall may not have played. Clough said after the match that he wants to try the O'Grady/ McNulty partnership and that signals the end of 4-5-1 at least at home I suppose. That in itself makes it unlikely Baxter and Scougall will not play together in future anyway.

Adams may have potential but at this stage give him game time when games are won. Playing him for 87 minutes was another bizarre decision if we are serious about automatic promotion. Unsurprisingly the lad looked sideways and backwards throughout the first half, not the only one mind. ("Start on the front foot" said Robinson). In truth Clough's only other choice for 4-4-2 yesterday was to play Higdon and I think he is reluctant to expose him to the home crowd as yet.

We do not have an exceptional absentee list for this time of year. We have been short of strikers all season and ironically defenders too, having discarded Collins and Butler( Donny's main man now).

Clough got it wrong in the summer and we have suffered all season. It looks as though the board will bail him out in January and I hope he has learned some lessons. There's still time but it's all a bit worrying for the future.

His incredible shot was going miles over until it got a deflection off the defender that looped it onto the bar.

His incredible shot was going miles over until it got a deflection off the defender that looped it onto the bar.

Just watched it half a dozen times, no deflection. In any case, even if it had done, it was a great one-two and a powerful shot from a player who has the ability to do such things. Where were such incidents from all the other players?

Just watched it half a dozen times, no deflection. In any case, even if it had done, it was a great one-two and a powerful shot from a player who has the ability to do such things. Where were such incidents from all the other players?
Are you kidding ? I am right in line with it and it took a massive deflection ,you only have to watch how the ball came down. The ref obviously gave a corner ,how do explain that too ?. He hit a great pass for the goal but that was his sole contribution in 90 minutes ,as for his set pieces they are embarrassing ,the worst corner taker I can recall. He slows us down in both pace and momentum ,I know its controversial but I think if we keep playing him it will cost us promotion. Look at the difference in pace and momentum against Southampton when he was on the bench. He has a lot of admirers and apologists ,but one or 2 good passes a game does not make up for his lack of application in the other 89 minutes.

That post nails it Fulwood. It saddens me that staunch Clough supporters like you and me are running out of patience at last but I think it's fair to say that Clough's "honeymoon period" lasted about a year.

Poor player recruitment, team selection and game management are all coming home to roost.

However Adams and Scougall stayed on the pitch so long upset me yesterday and McGahey going to full back was bizarre. Why not go 3 at the back at half time. Harris would have revelled in a more forward role. We are short of full backs so why not adapt?

I disagree with you about Baxter who provided the game's only two moments of incisive quality; his through ball for the goal and his incredible shot which hit the bar. No doubting he had a poor game but in our side we need players who can change the game in a moment. Not a single other players did that all game.

I fully agree that we can't play Scougall and Baxter together at present because Scougall has been poor value for weeks. Apparently McNulty had a thigh strain otherwise either Baxter or Scougall may not have played. Clough said after the match that he wants to try the O'Grady/ McNulty partnership and that signals the end of 4-5-1 at least at home I suppose. That in itself makes it unlikely Baxter and Scougall will not play together in future anyway.

Adams may have potential but at this stage give him game time when games are won. Playing him for 87 minutes was another bizarre decision if we are serious about automatic promotion. Unsurprisingly the lad looked sideways and backwards throughout the first half, not the only one mind. ("Start on the front foot" said Robinson). In truth Clough's only other choice for 4-4-2 yesterday was to play Higdon and I think he is reluctant to expose him to the home crowd as yet.

We do not have an exceptional absentee list for this time of year. We have been short of strikers all season and ironically defenders too, having discarded Collins and Butler( Donny's main man now).

Clough got it wrong in the summer and we have suffered all season. It looks as though the board will bail him out in January and I hope he has learned some lessons. There's still time but it's all a bit worrying for the future.

Still a big fan of Clough and happen to think as a manager he has been unlucky with certain injuries.

Flynn yesterday was a big blow and Mcgahey was culpable in the Walsall goal by getting sucked in to centre half position and leaving their winger in oceans of space - plus the lack of a challenge on the kid that scored a "dolly" of a header.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the "obvious" should have been McCarthy at CH and Basham to fullback.

Scougal has been living on borrowed time for weeks, and Sitters has it correct in headless chicken syndrome - he just seems completely unproductive - great work rate but for me Scougal works in a 5, when he is free to be a little pesky wasp, but his creative play (for now) is actually very poor.

Baxter, will never be a midfield player in a 4 - or when he gets "swapped" as Utd do and he goes wide left. You play Baxter in the hole, but not in a 4 man midfield. Billy Sharpe was exactly the same - not an up top player, not a midfielder and it is again a shame that Billy talents are being misused by all the teams he has been at and can't seem to hold down a regular place anywhere. Sharp is a very intelligent footballer, like Baxter but teams just don't appear to be able to accommodate these types of players successfully.

We move on to the next game.............

UTB

Baxter will always split opinion because of his shape, his style and his demeanor. He will always be top of the assists and goals scored by midfielders at the same time. He infuriates me too but our team badly needs players to create danger in the opposition box. We are too reliant on Murphy who is shouldering too much of the burden.

I take the point about the corner but deflected shots do count anyway. Have a look on screen yourself. Point is it made the keeper scramble which he did only twice in 94 minutes.

Still a big fan of Clough and happen to think as a manager he has been unlucky with certain injuries.

Flynn yesterday was a big blow and Mcgahey was culpable in the Walsall goal by getting sucked in to centre half position and leaving their winger in oceans of space - plus the lack of a challenge on the kid that scored a "dolly" of a header.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the "obvious" should have been McCarthy at CH and Basham to fullback.

Scougal has been living on borrowed time for weeks, and Sitters has it correct in headless chicken syndrome - he just seems completely unproductive - great work rate but for me Scougal works in a 5, when he is free to be a little pesky wasp, but his creative play (for now) is actually very poor.

Baxter, will never be a midfield player in a 4 - or when he gets "swapped" as Utd do and he goes wide left. You play Baxter in the hole, but not in a 4 man midfield. Billy Sharpe was exactly the same - not an up top player, not a midfielder and it is again a shame that Billy talents are being misused by all the teams he has been at and can't seem to hold down a regular place anywhere. Sharp is a very intelligent footballer, like Baxter but teams just don't appear to be able to accommodate these types of players successfully.

We move on to the next game.............

UTB

Ironically I think Billy could have fitted well as the "false no.9" in the 4-5-1 we have been playing.

Like you say, he has a footballing brain, would have come short for the ball, laid it off and then got in the box for the next ball. A player who can find the time to search out a colleague when under pressure in the box. A maker of goals as well as scorer.

UTB

Or as one caller on P&G said yesterday "when is Clough going to play 4-4-2 like all the fans want?".....

Erm - Today you muppet

Are you kidding ? I am right in line with it and it took a massive deflection ,you only have to watch how the ball came down. The ref obviously gave a corner ,how do explain that too ?. He hit a great pass for the goal but that was his sole contribution in 90 minutes ,as for his set pieces they are embarrassing ,the worst corner taker I can recall. He slows us down in both pace and momentum ,I know its controversial but I think if we keep playing him it will cost us promotion. Look at the difference in pace and momentum against Southampton when he was on the bench. He has a lot of admirers and apologists ,but one or 2 good passes a game does not make up for his lack of application in the other 89 minutes.
both scougal and baxter have been poor this season and i dont like saying it as i like scougs but we are carrying him as apart
from effort he is not contibuting anything to me it looks like he is not strong enough for english football as he gets man handled all the time walsall are not an overphysical team but scougs was brushed off the ball all the time teams now know how to stop
him playing shame but i think we have to move on.

Or as one caller on P&G said yesterday "when is Clough going to play 4-4-2 like all the fans want?".....

Erm - Today you muppet

well certainly in the 2nd half - think the first half was a bit mixed.

Don't think most of us have a problem with 4-4-2, just that we don't have the midfield for it - Doyle sits deep and he has always been part of the problem since Adams days - Doyle can't hack it in a 4, but is ideal in our 5 when he just sits deep. Baxter is lazy in a 4, scougal just runs around like a headless chicken. Murphy is murphy - great going forward, but in a 4 in midfield you need a Flynn type who is prepared to do the hard yards, murphy doesn't like that at all.

Mr Clough needs to start earning his money and either play 4-5-1 - a bit boring but at least we look solid or risk ruining Reed and play him centre midfield more in a 4 - perhaps with Flo when a bit fitter.

It's a dilemma that is splitting fans and I am not bothered WHAT formation or PLAYERS we put out - I am just very disappointed that we do not/cannot impose ourselves on teams like Notts/Wallsall/Fleetwood. I am not asking for 4 nils - but I am asking for a SOLID back 4, particularly at centre half. We should never have conceded the type of gal we did against Walsall - we are learning NOTHING about balls into the box and putting in a challenge and doing the simple bit of bloody marking !!

UTB

Erm - Today you muppet
Can someone explain this 442 to me? Are we referring to when McNulty came on, or was something we did beforehand arguably 4-4-2? And on what planet is that?

UTB

Walsall looked decent after they scored. But that must have been their first attempt on goal.

As for us, that should have been the sort of nondescript 1-0 win that's the staple of a promotion team. Except we lack the edge to get through games like these.

You're right, it was their first attempt at goal.
If they'd had one earlier they would have scored earlier.

well certainly in the 2nd half - think the first half was a bit mixed.

Don't think most of us have a problem with 4-4-2, just that we don't have the midfield for it - Doyle sits deep and he has always been part of the problem since Adams days - Doyle can't hack it in a 4, but is ideal in our 5 when he just sits deep. Baxter is lazy in a 4, scougal just runs around like a headless chicken. Murphy is murphy - great going forward, but in a 4 in midfield you need a Flynn type who is prepared to do the hard yards, murphy doesn't like that at all.

Mr Clough needs to start earning his money and either play 4-5-1 - a bit boring but at least we look solid or risk ruining Reed and play him centre midfield more in a 4 - perhaps with Flo when a bit fitter.

It's a dilemma that is splitting fans and I am not bothered WHAT formation or PLAYERS we put out - I am just very disappointed that we do not/cannot impose ourselves on teams like Notts/Wallsall/Fleetwood. I am not asking for 4 nils - but I am asking for a SOLID back 4, particularly at centre half. We should never have conceded the type of gal we did against Walsall - we are learning NOTHING about balls into the box and putting in a challenge and doing the simple bit of bloody marking !!

UTB

Rookie centre-half at right back, not recommended.

4-5-1 can be an attacking formation but not when everybody plays at half pace and looks sideways and backwards every time they get the ball. Movement off the ball and players demanding the ball? - non-existent, apart from O'Grady who showed the way yesterday. We'll soon cure him of that! Any system needs player movement and players demanding the ball.

Back
Top Bottom