10 year plan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BiggerBladeThanThou

Reaction score
We may be in the Premier League but our club is being exposed.

What is our long term 5-10 year plan? Has it been discussed and publicised?

I understand these sorts of plans cannot be fully formulated with an owner who wants out but the CEO should be planning as if nothing else matters.

At the moment I don’t see any sniff of a long term plan. Wilder coming back on 18months stinks of not having a plan (and I like Wilder).

The whole club needs cultural, long term change. We cannot keep doing the same as always when we go up. I’d be very happy to clean out and start again in the Championship and have the number one aim of consolidation and go with youth.

I’d sack Wilder end of season and hope the Prince finds a buyer with a long term vision and doesn’t spunk his load signing dross in a vain attempt to win promotion at the first time of asking.

We need an identity, a new culture and a way of playing from u6’s to first team. A brand new Sheffield United philosophy and set of values beyond the outwork, outfight and outplay stuff - it stinks of underdog and…in nearly 40years…that hasn’t changed one iota. We’re forever the hardworkers, the big and physical, the up and at em team. I’m bored of it.

Football generally has passed Sheffield United by.

How often are clubs public about their long term plans?

We seem to be pretty fervently blooding younger players with a view to building around the likes of Arblaster, Brooks, Osula et al going forward.

Meanwhile, for the last season or so we've actually been spending money on younger players to build for the future. One cost. We paid a comp fee for Curtis beating off competition. Beattie was another good pickup.

Wilder may be on short term deal, but I sense there's a plan with him in mind.

Quite hopeful if I'm honest about next season given the potential of some players coming through.

We always have this when things are going badly. Any such plan will not translate into reality. Nobody stays anywhere for 10 years, for a start. We've done far more right than wrong since 2016. We have to be pragmatic and not throw away what we already have in place that gives us a good chance of promotion next season, or the one after. We can't be getting bogged down in the championship because you can stay there for a long time. Turn everything upside down and we probably will get bogged down. We need to be much better organised in everything we do as a club. A certain amount of upheaval is essential. But we must be prepared for the start of the season - there's no excuse

The quality of the current youth crop largely takes care of long term planning on its own. We're fortunate with this, it's a get out of jail card a bit like having Ndiaye was. With this in mind, what we need to be doing is bringing in more established players to form a strong core. Resale value secondary. We already have sufficient assets, at least if they sign their contracts

Bouncing between the championship and Premier league collecting with moneh without spending too much on player recruitment and wages

So far so good.

I think, as Houso, points out above there is a sense of direction with the blooding of younger players and the majority of signings being younger than we've traditionally opted for.
As per my shoutbox ramblings there's a perfect juncture for the club to really push this in the summer with so many out of contract players. So much in wages being freed up. Opportunity to unburden ourselves from contracts with older players. A fantastic chance to build a side for the next 4 or 5 seasons.

But, it's got to be done correctly with a clear vision in mind - if that's with Wilder then so be it but commit to building a side that sticks to those principles. Make the changes to the recruitment department that are sorely needed. It can almost be a full reset if we need/want it to be. What we need is a clear vision from the hierarchy and I don't necessarily expect that to be shared with us but let's see it done in earnest and with some clear conviction.

A plan? Prince has been trying to sell us since 2021 2 years after getting full control. That's his plan. Cash in and make the money he wanted

I think, as Houso, points out above there is a sense of direction with the blooding of younger players and the majority of signings being younger than we've traditionally opted for.
As per my shoutbox ramblings there's a perfect juncture for the club to really push this in the summer with so many out of contract players. So much in wages being freed up. Opportunity to unburden ourselves from contracts with older players. A fantastic chance to build a side for the next 4 or 5 seasons.

But, it's got to be done correctly with a clear vision in mind - if that's with Wilder then so be it but commit to building a side that sticks to those principles. Make the changes to the recruitment department that are sorely needed. It can almost be a full reset if we need/want it to be. What we need is a clear vision from the hierarchy and I don't necessarily expect that to be shared with us but let's see it done in earnest and with some clear conviction.
Has that already started with the selling of the two valuable assets before the season started and getting rid of older players as in Billy and Fleck ?
Just the rest of the Deadwood to go now.

Bouncing between the championship and Premier league collecting with moneh without spending too much on player recruitment and wages

So far so good.
You’re getting boring peddling this bullshit without providing any evidence. Show you’re working for where money has disappeared or please change the fucking record. We’ve spent a fortune, poorly, but hopefully should now have a cleaner slate from the summer but no money has gone missing. Its nonsense.

I understand these sorts of plans cannot be fully formulated with an owner who wants out but the CEO should be planning as if nothing else matters.

At the moment I don’t see any sniff of a long term plan. Wilder coming back on 18months stinks of not having a plan (and I like Wilder).

The whole club needs cultural, long term change. We cannot keep doing the same as always when we go up. I’d be very happy to clean out and start again in the Championship and have the number one aim of consolidation and go with youth.

I’d sack Wilder end of season and hope the Prince finds a buyer with a long term vision and doesn’t spunk his load signing dross in a vain attempt to win promotion at the first time of asking.

We need an identity, a new culture and a way of playing from u6’s to first team. A brand new Sheffield United philosophy and set of values beyond the outwork, outfight and outplay stuff - it stinks of underdog and…in nearly 40years…that hasn’t changed one iota. We’re forever the hardworkers, the big and physical, the up and at em team. I’m bored of it.

Throwing the baby out with the bath water is insane. There are parts of the club working well, for example the academy is producing solid professional footballers some of which are now appearing in the first team. That takes 10 years to setup and see the benefits from.
We were completely unprepared for promotion so it’s closer to a 3 year plan we need now, what side do we intend to come back up with, not 10 year.
Personally I’d give Wilder the first season to at least start the build, he’s good at that.

Last edited:

You’re getting boring peddling this bullshit without providing any evidence. Show you’re working for where money has disappeared or please change the fucking record. We’ve spent a fortune, poorly, but hopefully should now have a cleaner slate from the summer but no money has gone missing. Its nonsense.
And In turn I can't be arsed with your "we've got no money to buy anyone" bollocks in the next few months, Bet you've not even got choc-ices in the freezer when the ice cream man chimes up on your road.

We seem to be pretty fervently blooding younger players with a view to building around the likes of Arblaster, Brooks, Osula et al going forward.

Meanwhile, for the last season or so we've actually been spending money on younger players to build for the future. One cost. We paid a comp fee for Curtis beating off competition. Beattie was another good pickup.

Quite hopeful if I'm honest about next season given the potential of some players coming through.
But we're not though are we?

Hecky played Sharp all last season when those minutes should have gone to Osula/Jebbison.

This year Osula played because all the other strikers were injured and Troare was absolutely abysmal.

Wilder came in and played Brooks and Osula - I'll give you that, but to me it still doesn't strike me as anything strategic... Arblaster hasn't played yet this season, so will have to wait and see, but again, doesn't strike me as anything other than a 'may as well try this guy's type of approach.

We simply don't have any kind of plan. Hecky resigned Fleck and wanted Sharp to stay around too. The further we get from last season the more I'm thinking we achieved what we did inspite of Heckinbottom....

The 10 year plan should have started in 2016 when Wilder was first appointed.

When we got promotion to the Premier league in 2019 Wilder said we would dominate Sheffield football for the next 10 years. Maybe not high ambitions but it was the first mention of '10 years'.

Let's ignore COVID where would we have been if we'd had the self discipline and the strategic thinking to put together and implement a 10 year plan in 2016?

We would just be coming to the end of Year 8.

As far as 'no one stays for 10 years nowadays'. There should have been a Succession Planning policy in place. Go back to the 1960's /70's and Liverpool's old boot room. Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan, Roy Evans all in the boot room drinking mugs of tea (not Peronni) and talking football and creating a dynasty that would see the success continue year after year.

Jurgen Klopp benefits from that planning today.

A missed opportunity. It's not too late but we need to start now.

I wish I shared the same optimism.
Throwing the baby out with the bath water is insane. There are parts of the club working well, for example the academy is producing solid professional footballers some of which are now appearing in the first team. That takes 10 years to setup and see the benefits from.
We were completely unprepared for promotion so it’s closer to a 3 year plan we need now, what side do we intend to come back up with, not 10 year.
Personally I’d give Wilder the first season to at least start the build, he’s good at that.
I disagree. I believe the club needs a complete overhaul culturally. We never change and haven’t done in my 40years of supporting. Some clubs just move forwards, us? Always the same. Bored of it. I want to see some ambition.

But, it's got to be done correctly with a clear vision in mind - if that's with Wilder then so be it but commit to building a side that sticks to those principles.
This is the only logic I can see for retaining Wilder, he rebuilt a squad using frees and cheap signings once before so it looks like we’re expecting a similar miracle this time.

No it hasn't.

We have two main problems.

1. How do we stop a free fall as Sunderland, Wolves and us in the 1970's down to the lower leagues.

2. A problem now facing Championship clubs is the gap between PL and EFL is now so vast how do you bridge it?

Unless you are like Fulham and yo-yo but ultimately stay then you are always in this situation.

The one thing you can say this season is that Luton have done far better in their attitude than the Blades. Also how come in the Covid 2nd season we scored f all but were not getting humped. Whereas now we are. Surely Egan and Bash were/are not that good bearing in mind JOC was already out injured.

I wish I shared the same optimism.

I disagree. I believe the club needs a complete overhaul culturally. We never change and haven’t done in my 40years of supporting. Some clubs just move forwards, us? Always the same. Bored of it. I want to see some ambition.
Ambition? A ten year investment and ripping everything up with little likely to be returned short term. I’d say it’s entirely the opposite of ambition.
I want us back up here in the next 3 seasons with a squad we can build on rather than be looking to rip down and replace. Thats my ambition.

The problem we have is that all workable plans in the Championship and above cost a shit ton of money. A barrel of money is a prerequisite these days. No plan and you blow that money. No money and the plan is a fantasy to begin with.

But we're not though are we?

Hecky played Sharp all last season when those minutes should have gone to Osula/Jebbison.

This year Osula played because all the other strikers were injured and Troare was absolutely abysmal.

Wilder came in and played Brooks and Osula - I'll give you that, but to me it still doesn't strike me as anything strategic... Arblaster hasn't played yet this season, so will have to wait and see, but again, doesn't strike me as anything other than a 'may as well try this guy's type of approach.

We simply don't have any kind of plan. Hecky resigned Fleck and wanted Sharp to stay around too. The further we get from last season the more I'm thinking we achieved what we did inspite of Heckinbottom....
Arblaster hasn't played this season? Almost like a loan to Port Vale and serious injury has curtailed his involvement for us...

There isn't a credible plan. Abdullah lacks the resources to plan long term no matter which division we are in. He's done well in his tenure to date, he got lucky with the first promotion to the EPL and after the success in season one we should have upped our global scouting budget, this is what Brentford and Brighton did instead of throwing all the money away at overpriced domestic potential/risks.
On the 2nd promotion I think he went shit or bust and to his credit it paid off. If we had cashed in on Berge and Illy we wouldn't have been promoted, the downside to that was we couldn't attract those players to sign extended contracts, that was a big mistake but also a case of being skint because of the gamble he made.
If he doesn't attract a buyer anytime soon we will go backwards, the amount of players out of contract in the summer means a huge rebuild for Wilder, can we expect a rebuild of quality replacements? Not sure we can. Think Liverpool investment was a quote from Scott McCabe when the deal with Abdullah was announced, as of today It's more like think Stoke City.

We had a plan. Buy the best from the league below. We did very very well.

Then we got to the big league and stopped.

Downhill from then on.

Arblaster hasn't played this season? Almost like a loan to Port Vale and serious injury has curtailed his involvement for us...
If there was a plan which you seem to be suggesting then why loan him and then why being him back mid season? Doesn't seem to smack 'plan' to me. Seems more like, shit the young lad the last manager loaned out is Probably as good as the shite we wasted money on so why not give him a go..

Hardly a plan...

We had a plan. Buy the best from the league below. We did very very well.

Then we got to the big league and stopped.

Downhill from then on.
It didn’t stop, it was just bigger boys with deeper pockets looked at what we were doing and inflated the market beyond our reach. Then we were looking at second tier Championship player and the risks increased.
If we could be promoted and stay up, we could return to that policy as Palace are the only ones now in that market.
When we go down, we need to be developing our own players or looking at league one for talent, supplemented with a quality loan or two.

Back
Top Bottom