New players or new owners,......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If you assume we are fucked in terms of promotion this season, then it has to be new owners, then new players.

If you think we can still do it, then it's new players, then new owners.

I think we could still sneak into the play offs with some decent loanees, so it's new players for me.

The club should be fan-owned. Unfortunately we in England still cling on to the outdated notion that clubs should run from top-down.

The players? Well they should all fuck off and never be allowed anywhere near United ever again.

We will never achieve anything with the current structure we have in place.

We might get out of this league. But not in the direction we'd expect.

change owners? - think of Villa - Doug Ellis or Randy Lerner? - sometimes it's better the devil you know than the one you don't know.
We are better with Prince/McCabe than an unknown.

As for players - we need to let Adkins have free reign in the summer and give him ALL next season to see what he can do.

UTB

How do you know that?

I don't know - it is an opinion and stated my reasons in the above post - better the devil you know than the one you don't know.

I appreciate some on here want a change of owners, but what many fail to accept - is to sell "anything" someone has to want to buy it in the first place.

UTB

I don't feel "better off" at the moment

Neither do I feel better off, but we could be a lot worse off if McCabe went.

As above - better the devil you know............

It's so easy to say change owners behind the comfort of a keyboard........we need better players

UTB

It's so easy to say change owners behind the comfort of a keyboard........we need better players

UTB
So the choice of status quo or we might do worse. We could do better!

So the choice of status quo or we might do worse. We could do better!

I accept your quote of "We could do better" - what happens if we DID worse? You seem to be suggesting that it couldn't get worse? - why couldn't it get worse?

I listened to numerous say "Clough Out" - well he did get out, and we are now in a worse situation - same could apply to owners.

What is clear (to the majority) of posters is that we need different players. The main question should be whether Adkins gets that chance. He would for me, but then I would have given Clough that opportunity.

UTB

change owners? - think of Villa - Doug Ellis or Randy Lerner? - sometimes it's better the devil you know than the one you don't know.
We are better with Prince/McCabe than an unknown.

As for players - we need to let Adkins have free reign in the summer and give him ALL next season to see what he can do.

UTB

So don't change because one club changed once and it didn't work?

It's all well and good saying let Adkins have free reign, but then twisting his arm behind his back like the owners did this January.

They've as much as said they won't back him next season either.

We've no idea whether we'd be better off with another owner.

We're sinking lower and lower into league one and behind the scenes are absolute shambles.

Change could be the best thing we ever do.

UTB

It's all well and good repeating that we need better players. What happens when the board refuse to sanction better players?

When they cut costs instead?

Or when there's no one at the club around to do any work on transfers?

To be honest trusting Mcabe to run a football club is akin to trusting McDonald's with a cow or the Mccans with your kids.

So don't change because one club changed once and it didn't work?

It's all well and good saying let Adkins have free reign, but then twisting his arm behind his back like the owners did this January.

They've as much as said they won't back him next season either.

We've no idea whether we'd be better off with another owner.

We're sinking lower and lower into league one and behind the scenes are absolute shambles.

Change could be the best thing we ever do.

Pete. My view and standing on the matter regarding the board would have been 100% same as Fulwood Blade which does make sense in the past .

However , now , today I feel that McCabe / Prince have created a situation that everyone connected with the blades have lost confidence . It's like the 2007 /08 market crash but at the lane. With the finanancial situation and alleged disagreement between McCabe / Prince it appears all confidence has been lost with financial institutions , banks , funding , . Something has happened or is happening as nobody is driving us forward , creating apathy all through the club.

This is why we do need a complete change at board level . Adkins is already getting hit with the shrapnel , but has not covered himself in glory , therefore his allies may be minimal.

Better owners having full due care and attention for the club and supporters will provide better players both short and long term.

The ownership of BDTBL and it being part of any deal is the key to any football club sale . This is were Fulwood is correct with caution . New owners if the ground is part of the purchase could become BDTBL student accommodation / RPS private residential owned by a pension / equity company.

My gut feeling Pete is we need new owners sooner rather than later and take the risk . We could well be at the shit or bust stage now.

UTB

Who is going to buy McCabe out? I am told he values his stake in the club and ownership of the ground and property at around £50m. I can't see anyone paying that out for a third division club that attracts little TV money and little publicity on the world stage.

The appointment of Jim Phipps in 2013 has proved to be a very useful decoy for Kevin McCabe. He's barely been seen or heard from in 3 years, and aside from intense speculation, nobody really knows what the state of play is at boardroom level.

This is where Phipps comes in. For the record I actually like him more than many others on here do but his job is essentially to act as a soft layer of bullshit between McCabe/Abdullah and the supporters. I get the sense that the things he says on social media have been heavily processed and refined in order to appease the fans.

I don't envy his position, he wasn't to know that Unitedites have been hardened and made justifiably cynical by decades of varying degrees of bad ownership, and as a result he's been a target for a lot of flak because he's the only focal point for it right now.
The result of all this is that despite having a co-chairman in regular communication with the fans, in terms of actual substance we are actually in the dark more than ever as to what is actually going on. There is no longer any obligation for McCabe to say anything himself because he now has a middle-man.

McCabe must know he's a spent force. He's been wanting to wash his hands of the club for quite some time but can't, and the lack of any stable transition of power has created a void which has sucked us into the mire of shit we're in now.

The best option in my eyes would be for ownership of the club to be placed into the hands of a consortium of supporters. Unfortunately however, that also seems like the least likely option.

Last edited:
The Saudi Arabian "Prince", is he interested? Really?
Thought he was now a chief component in the SA Government.
Is he a real "Prince or is it a title you can purchase online?
Rating 2/10

The American, Jim Phipps.
Co-Chairman. What's that mean? What is his role, apart from social media exploits, which quite frankly have becoming embarrassing.
Facebook/Linked In posts. I thought Sheffield United were a Professional business, with professional people.
Rating 2.5/10

The Turkish lad.
Who? Who? WHO?
Rating 0.5/10

The worse thing that could happen to Sheffield United is that these people are still here at the beginning of next season.

I'm not the biggest fan, nor the biggest fan of Kevin McCabe either. Unfortunately in today's football world, he's not financially adequate to take United to the next level, if putting the alleged £xxm into the club, when others around are spending 10, 20, 30, 40 times that figure.

My take, my opinion.

UTB
We may only get better players in if we get different owners in? Who the new owners could possibly be is anyone's guess which is why I understand your point on the matter but i do feel we need a kick up the arse from somewhere.

Loads of questions but hardly any answers, hence our problems, mate.

The club should be fan-owned.

Whilst I'm a fan of fan involvement, how would fan ownership work in terms of financing the level of spending and competitiveness most are wanting?

Given that this post is about getting one of our richer fans out, who is left that would have anything close to the level of funds? How would they be raised?

Last edited:
Whilst I'm a fan of fan involvement, how would fan ownership work in terms of financing the level of spending and competitiveness most are wanting?

Given that this post is about getting one of our richer fans out, whose left that would have anything close to the level of funds? How would they be raised?
I now love Kevin McCabe and he can come in with us. :)

not necessarily, if that was the only option in life nothing would ever change and we'd all still be eating rusks.

I do remember though how bitter Villa fans were for all those years under Ellis and look at em now. But then again look across the city.

I don't know - it is an opinion and stated my reasons in the above post - better the devil you know than the one you don't know.

I appreciate some on here want a change of owners, but what many fail to accept - is to sell "anything" someone has to want to buy it in the first place.

UTB

I think you hit the nail on the head - it's alright saying we need new owners but as I've said in another thread, I haven't heard of any billionaires, sheikhs or oligarchs falling over themselves to buy the club.

Fair enough if the current owners decided they'd had enough and put the club up for sale, but like you, I have my reservations about who we could end up with. Remember Lee Strafford, oh how we laughed, well you never know how things could turn out.

Given that this post is about getting one of our richer fans out, who is left that would have anything close to the level of funds? How would they be raised?

Well it's true that outright fan ownership has only really occured at clubs which have either previously gone out of business and had to be reformed or had to be hastily reconstructed in the face of major financial problems, and nobody wants to have that as a starting point for our club.
A better option is therefore to have a Supporters Trust which can then at least purchase a stake in the club. At Swansea City for example, their supporters trust owns a 20% stake.
This then gives the supporters more of a direct say in how things are run.

I think the time has come to at least explore this as an option. I firmly believe that the traditional system of top-down ownership will one day begin to look like an outdated and increasingly impractical approach.
With the increasingly high amount of money in the football league system, it's going to be ever more difficult for any club not firmly established in the higher leagues to find a rich benefactor, and even if one is found, the club is then dependent on that individual not pulling out or using it for his own devices.
Fortunately, we have a sizeable enough fanbase to make part-ownership a more realistic possibility, and I hope this is considered by more of us.

if people are so bothered about getting new owners, why did they NOT protest on sat, everyone just buggered off home and had a moan on here instead, like thats gonna make the blindest bit of difference. Nobody is happy about the state of the club, yet nobody is doing anything productive.moan moan moan,but iam going again next match.Then after i will moan some more.We need to do something before its too late.....

if people are so bothered about getting new owners, why did they NOT protest on sat, everyone just buggered off home and had a moan on here instead, like thats gonna make the blindest bit of difference. Nobody is happy about the state of the club, yet nobody is doing anything productive.moan moan moan,but iam going again next match.Then after i will moan some more.We need to do something before its too late.....

United in name only.

The protests this last few years have become jokes, they weren't really protests in hindsight.
If the supporters are going to protest, they need to be "United" and solid in their commitment.
What's the latest protest? Sky TV moving the Southend United away match. That's died a death?

Simplified, stop the flow of what's most important in modern-day football. Money.

If you have a ST, it's too late for non-attendance, if that's your inclination, so the other way of stopping any more of your money passing over would be to stop all buying of food/drinks, programmes, merchandise, etc. Start somewhere that wouldn't stop us supporting the players on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom