George Long In Team Of Week.......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

S5Blade

Nom, Nom, Nom
Reaction score
Just how pissed was I at Barnsley? Didn't realise he was so outstanding....

CVEwIvoWUAAMvgP.png

I think he's doing well, and credit to him, Adkins, the coaching staff, and the Academy ;-) for that.

But I'm not sure he was even the best keeper in the game Satdi, never mind the Division.

Still, will help his confidence which may be his biggest issue.

UTMB

CVEwIvoWUAAMvgP.png

He saved a penalty. Given the amount of attention usually paid to the football league (aka anything below the Premier League) that's probably what got him in.

To be honest he probably played better at Walsall.

CVEwIvoWUAAMvgP.png
Funnily enough, Barnsleys' goalkeeper got Motm on Saturday too. Now i'm not slating Long but how can he possibly get in the team of the week when a GK played better than him in the same match? o_O

barnsley get to pick mom , highly likely theyd pick their own keeper

Perhaps the continued dissing of Long is the ridiculous bit

He gets over criticised in some quarters, equally plenty are willing to absolve him of any blame when he's clearly at fault.

Six of one.

Saved all his best saves for the second half about eight rows in front of us. Their keeper was a deserved MoM.

Where he got an arm up to Done's little lob was the best I thought. Billy's blast probably went straight at him.

Glad Long's got it though.

Barnsley don't pick the Motm in the newspapers and that's where i got my stat from, don't let that get in the way of the facts though. Although Long pulled off a great save, their GK pulled off a couple of great saves from one on ones and was ultimately the best GK in that match with his handling and allround GK expertise, i can't speak for the other clubs in the whole football league though.

Barnsley don't pick the Motm in the newspapers and that's where i got my stat from, don't let that get in the way of the facts though. Although Long pulled off a great save, their GK pulled off a couple of great saves from one on ones and was ultimately the best GK in that match with his handling and allround GK expertise, i can't speak for the other clubs in the whole football league though.
some papers are bone idle , theyd have gone with ground choice

some papers are bone idle , theyd have gone with ground choice
Now that is Bladey Bladeism at it's best, someone i spoke to said Keith Edwards and the Barnsley summariser gave it to their GK and i've also spoke to loads of Blades who gave the unbiased view that Barnsleys' GK deserved it, now whilst Long wasn't shit, far from it BTW, it is possible to see the game for what it was, two teams not one.

That's not what we was discussing though was it, if you picked it or not:rolleyes:
Id say more than most must have picked him for him to get the accolade
but if our fans get more joy from offering it to the opposition , to add to their Long out agenda thats their choice

Can remenber happier times when players getting recognition was seen as being good

I didnt pick Long as best goalie of the 72 though
the football league did

comes to something when we question our players getting praise
some really do have a downer on us

seems some agendas have deep support
I have always preferred Long to Howard if you read back over the numerous threads, that's not to say i'm perfectly happy with either though and i am also happy to comment on things that i see have happened and not things that could've happened or not. I think they call it realism.

I think they call it realism.

so the award of Long being the best given by the football league wasnt reality

the op is the reality , rather than give some encouragement
he must have been pissed at Oakwell

really,

In goal keeping terms Long is still very young, and getting better every game as he learns more
just needs encouraging
help if some of our fans looked that up in a dictionary

Last edited:
so the award of Long being the best given by the football league wasnt reality

the op is the reality , rather than give some encouragement
he must have been pissed at Oakwell

really,

In goal keeping terms Long is still very young, and getting better every game as he learns more
just needs encouraging
help if some of our fans looked that up in a dictionary
He got the award, great news, all i was saying was that how can someone who was seen by many as the second best GK in that match get an award for being the best in the football league that weekend? And again, stop saying i don't like Long when you obviously either don't read or just choose to read what you want, just like another ignorant person on this forum.

A seems of dejavu comes over me. Give it a few more reasonable games, and it'll be talk of contract extensions and not needing a keeper. :)

Well played George. But I'd prefer just leave it at what it is - a good game.

UTB

He got the award, great news, all i was saying was that how can someone who was seen by many as the second best GK in that match get an award for being the best in the football league that weekend? And again, stop saying i don't like Long when you obviously either don't read or just choose to read what you want, just like another ignorant person on this forum.
Presumably because they took into account he was playing behind our defence. It's the second hardest job in football.

After cleaning all the shit from the dressing room floor at the Sty.

I think he's doing well, and credit to him, Adkins, the coaching staff, and the Academy ;-) for that.

But I'm not sure he was even the best keeper in the game Satdi, never mind the Division.

Still, will help his confidence which may be his biggest issue.

UTMB

Whoever compiles this obviously saw saved pen and put him in.

For the record, and the bell end on page one, I wasn't slating long but as has been said, he wasn't the best keeper in the game, never mind the best keeper out of all 3 FL divisions.

Makes zero sense.

Saving penalties is Longs main attribute. It's the other aspects of his game that need improvement.

Well done to him for getting in the team of the week.

I want to see Long between the sticks for our Wembley showdown with Wigan next May.
I'm expecting him to save all five of the penalties in the shoot out after extra time.
Anything less than that and he can hop it off to Man U or Arsenal after the game

I didnt put you did I said the op

Back
Top Bottom