CONFIRMED Martyn Woolford

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Don't know much about him, but not sure he's an upgrade on the wingers we have. Hope it wouldn't mean one getting sold.

One of Millwall's better players the last couple of seasons, would be decent at this level and purported to be a good lad. From Leeds area I think so relatively local.

Spoke to him, asked who he is signing for, the response was sheff united I think

Pilkington from Cardiff in negotiation over a loan deal. Early stages. Replacment for JM I've heard.

Was on about cominglast year I heard, so this seems plausible.

Decent player - yes.
An improvement on Murphy - no.

Unless Murphy is pushing for a move, I'd stick as we are. He, along with Basham, is the best player in the squad and if we're serious about building for the future, we should be replacing the weak links rather than the strong ones.

Without sounding too presumptuous, it doesn't give me confidence given the fact that a team relegated to our league released him.

Wasn't he bought for 750k? I imagine his wages were high, especially when dropping into this division.

Wasn't he bought for 750k? I imagine his wages were high, especially when dropping into this division.

This ^ ... sometimes when a new manager comes in and especially so at a recently relegated team i'd imagine the higher earners within the team have to be shifted on regardless of how good they are due to the inevitable budget cuts they'll have had in order for the new boss to have a bigger budget to play with which then allows him to begin building a squad.

A quote from Adkins (from 2009), on whether he had been surprised by the speed of Woolford's progress.

"No," was the manager's instant reply. "He has flair and talent. He can cross, head, shoot and score but I am going to go with attitude as his biggest attribute."

As it seems there could be something in this rumour I've just browsed through the first half of Millwall vs Watford from April. Unfortunately Woolford had a poor half, against a superior team. He seems to be neat and has a decent touch, but couldn't get past a quick and aggressive right back who never gave him any space. He gave that up and instead tried to get into the box off the ball, which saw him get a couple of half chances. That was a positive, and he's scored goals in the past, though just three last season. He looked fit enough and tracked back quite a bit.

He's not very quick for a winger. I couldn't really assess his dribbling ability. The way he looked he's the type who you'd expect would be able to cross well, but he didn't get a single one in. To be fair to him his opponent will be playing in the Premiership next season. Woolford's 6'0 and they tried long, diagonal balls to him a couple of times, which he did win, so he's possibly got a little more heading ability than most wingers.

Let me add that is't not fair judging a player on one random match. He'll be 30 soon, which is when you expect wingers to become less effective, but he'll probably be a steady player at League One level. Maybe he could also play left back? He was a regular last season and Leeds were interested in him in January, so he's got to have more ability than he showed against Watford.

Maxster just stop it now lad, it's getting tedious. Either post your thoughts with a source or keep your fantasy football posts to Bladesmad.

Back
Top Bottom