Photo help

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JJ Sefton

Live, Laugh, Love
Reaction score
41K4Nu2eTFL.jpg

Can anyone let me know when this photo is from? Its Doc Pace for us and John Sillett for Chelsea.

Pace scored the only goal of the game when we beat Wednesday 1-0 at the Lane on September 16, 1961.

He also scored in a 2-2 home draw with them on October 6, 1962.

Both just before my time.

Could be either game.
definitely Sept 1961 because if you see the photo below in Sharrowblade 's website you can see that Wendy were playing in black shorts for the October 1962 match
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sharrowblade/5506725870/in/set-72157626215462724

This must be October '62 then?

Not seen this photo. Probably Oct 1962 but not ruling out Sept 1963 (googled Wendy team photos for 1963-64 and they had same kit with hooped socks as in 1962-63) but looking at the state of the pitch it looks like it is in October rather than in Sept. I have seen a photo somewhere of the Sept 1963 match and it was a sunny day

EDIT: Was this a goal or Springett had the ball in his hands? Simpson scored our goal in the 1-1 draw in Sept 1963

United had the red socks with two white hoops from 1961-64 I think.

Wednesday had solid blue socks with white tops 1962-63 . They had blue and white hooped socks 1961-62 and 1963-65 and short sleeved V neck shirts with 5 stripes on the front in hot weather for the 1963-65 period, (round neck with long sleeves normal) 1961-62 their shirts had v necks and three stripes on the front.

United had the red socks with two white hoops from 1961-64 I think.

Wednesday had solid blue socks with white tops 1962-63 . They had blue and white hooped socks 1961-62 and 1963-65 and short sleeved V neck shirts with 5 stripes on the front in hot weather for the 1963-65 period, (round neck with long sleeves normal) 1961-62 their shirts had v necks and three stripes on the front.
The photo on the Blades v Wendy 1970 programme cover is definitely from the October 1962 match and Wendy were wearing hooped socks

Not seen this photo. Probably Oct 1962 but not ruling out Sept 1963 (googled Wendy team photos for 1963-64 and they had same kit with hooped socks as in 1962-63) but looking at the state of the pitch it looks like it is in October rather than in Sept. I have seen a photo somewhere of the Sept 1963 match and it was a sunny day

EDIT: Was this a goal or Springett had the ball in his hands? Simpson scored our goal in the 1-1 draw in Sept 1963

Er, not sure.

If anyone has any ideas about this one...

Joe Shaw obviously, against Liverpool at the Lane. Any idea when and who the Scouser is?

Attachments

• vs Liverpool at Bramall Lane.jpg
    vs Liverpool at Bramall Lane.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 16

blades v liverpool

1964-65 ? Peter Thompson?
Yes and you are right about Peter Thompson. The Blade player next to Joe Shaw is definitely Bernard Shaw who played in the 3-0 win in March 1965 but didnt play in the 0-0 draw in Sept 1965

Interesting match report from a Merseyside paper that you can link to from that site. Written from a Liverpool perspective but very fair-minded as, for example in the comments on Tommy Smith and his perceived lack of heading ability.

At the age of 18, our right-winger was already doing what he did for years to come: "the scorer was Woodward...his shot was a beauty".

It's worth noting also that Birchenall, Jones and Bernard Shaw were all aged 19 at the time. The first two were regulars, Shaw soon became one and Len Badger, who missed this game, was also a regular at 19.

Peter Thompson was a terrific footballer. I always loved seeing him play. I was at University in Liverpool in the late-seventies and I went to an Everton-Bolton League Cup semi at Goodison in 1976-77. He was playing for Bolton alongside a very young Peter Reid and they were both outstanding.

Interesting match report from a Merseyside paper that you can link to from that site. Written from a Liverpool perspective but very fair-minded as, for example in the comments on Tommy Smith and his perceived lack of heading ability.

At the age of 18, our right-winger was already doing what he did for years to come: "the scorer was Woodward...his shot was a beauty".

It's worth noting also that Birchenall, Jones and Bernard Shaw were all aged 19 at the time. The first two were regulars, Shaw soon became one and Len Badger, who missed this game, was also a regular at 19.

Peter Thompson was a terrific footballer. I always loved seeing him play. I was at University in Liverpool in the late-seventies and I went to an Everton-Bolton League Cup semi at Goodison in 1976-77. He was playing for Bolton alongside a very young Peter Reid and they were both outstanding.
Len Badger said Peter Thompson was the most difficult player he has played against. When Alf Ramsey had to cut down his squad from 28 to 22 for the 1970 World Cup, Thompson was one of the unlucky 6 and Ramsey stuck to his wingless formation

Reactions: LSF
Len Badger said Peter Thompson was the most difficult player he has played against. When Alf Ramsey had to cut down his squad from 28 to 22 for the 1970 World Cup, Thompson was one of the unlucky 6 and Ramsey stuck to his wingless formation

Thompson - eventually replaced by my favourite "other club" player: Steve Heighway.... an Irish Blade!!! (courtesy of a spell at Sheffield University I think?)

Heighway and Thompson were awesome players - the essence of "proper" English football - dribbling, passing and crossing skills that you just don't see anymore.

Edit... "courtesy of spells at Ecclesall Junior, and High Storrs schools".

Maybe that was as a result of Thompson running Len ragged in a League Cup tie at Anfield in 1968. They beat us 4-0 and Hodgy stopped it being 10.
All this 'Scousers are a friendly fair minded crowd' crap disappeared for me that night as before during and after the game, they scared me shitless with their nasty behaviour towards Blades.

Back
Top Bottom