CONFIRMED Martyn Woolford

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No, mainly the quality of the players as I know of them at the moment.

As proven by last season with our team, the manager in charge also plays a large part in promotion. They have a rookie manager who I think will struggle, we have a manager who has already achieved 3 promotions from this level.

In addition, I expect at least 4 more signings so stay patient.

I just want to welcome MW to the club and blades family, don't know much about him so will judge him on the pitch, here is hoping for a bright start to the season. UTB

Adkins interviewed on the business this week: https://audioboom.com/boos/3373067-...-making-his-first-signing-for-the-blades-sufc

The at-this-moment-in-time-ometer is taken to new levels, which I'm sure he may exceed moving forward.

......and NA made a point of saying how any rumours about Murphy, Adams, or anyone else are just that, rumours. Both Murphy and Adams can help the Blades achieve promotion this season so he won't be selling either player, NA made this point emphatically, so if words count for anything we should trust in Adkins.

Woolford scored Scunthorpes play off final v Millwall at Wembley in 2009 and has retained a place as a championship player , Grigg has been dumped by MK Dons back into league one ,,,, why

I'll paste my post about him from another thread (when it was just a rumour):

-------------------------------------

A quote from Adkins (from 2009), on whether he had been surprised by the speed of Woolford's progress.

"No," was the manager's instant reply. "He has flair and talent. He can cross, head, shoot and score but I am going to go with attitude as his biggest attribute."

As it seems there could be something in this rumour I've just browsed through the first half of Millwall vs Watford from April. Unfortunately Woolford had a poor half, against a superior team. He seems to be neat and has a decent touch, but couldn't get past a quick and aggressive right back who never gave him any space. He gave that up and instead tried to get into the box off the ball, which saw him get a couple of half chances. That was a positive, and he's scored goals in the past, though just three last season. He looked fit enough and tracked back quite a bit.

He's not very quick for a winger. I couldn't really assess his dribbling ability. The way he looked he's the type who you'd expect would be able to cross well, but he didn't get a single one in. To be fair to him his opponent will be playing in the Premiership next season. Woolford's 6'0 and they tried long, diagonal balls to him a couple of times, which he did win, so he's possibly got a little more heading ability than most wingers.

Let me add that is't not fair judging a player on one random match. He'll be 30 soon, which is when you expect wingers to become less effective, but he'll probably be a steady player at League One level. Maybe he could also play left back? He was a regular last season and Leeds were interested in him in January, so he's got to have more ability than he showed against Watford.

------------------------------

After the above I watched a bit more from a different game, and he was more involved and looked more up for it. Maybe he'd been instructed to not be too adventurous in the Watford game? He roamed around quite a bit and got into the box off the ball several times, and I think that could be how he's been getting a fair amount of goals in the past (9 goals in 2013/14). Again I don't see him as a spectacular player, but it was good to see him playing better than the first game. He's different to our other wide options and will give us more solidity, a different type of goal threat and more left footed crosses.

WHY IS IT

GRIGG HAD ONE 20 GOAL SEASON IN LEAGUE ONE
WOOLFORD played at the next level up

One of Dave Bassett's first signings was this lad called Tony Agana. He'd worked with him at his last club, Watford so he was an "old boy" as some are going on about on here regarding Woolford. He'd scored 1 goal in 15 games there having moved up from non-league Weymouth, which, had this forum been around then, would no doubt have been massively decried as "underwhelming" . But the rest is Blades history. Got to trust a new manager sometimes.

At this moment in time™, I would be surprised if that was the case - but things can change.

Yes, maybe at this moment in time. But moving forward ™ ....

Lot of negativity going around lads!

Way I see it is New Nigel has a plan. The sum of the parts might not appear to be as big as the whole thing so let's keep our powder dry until we see the big picture unfold.

Interesting that the contracts are only an initial 2 years for both Woolford and Diego.

WHY IS IT

GRIGG HAD ONE 20 GOAL SEASON IN LEAGUE ONE
WOOLFORD played at the next level up
I'd rather have someone that's proved themselves in this league scoring 20 goals very recently rather than a player in a team that got relegated last year to our league.

Woolford scored Scunthorpes play off final v Millwall at Wembley in 2009 and has retained a place as a championship player , Grigg has been dumped by MK Dons back into league one ,,,, why

Not to mention been dumped by Brentford twice now (last season on loan back to LG1, this season permanently back to LG1)

Seems like a sensible enough signing. I imagine he is a similar player to Flynn. So this gives us more options out wide and additional cover at wing back, so why not?

Not to mention been dumped by Brentford twice now (last season on loan back to LG1, this season permanently back to LG1)
The lads 24 and has got 20+ goals in league 1 twice now, maybe his face doesn't fit at Brentford. Could be a number of reasons.
Personally if we are giving players 2-3year contracts I want to buy players who's good enough to challenge in the championship rather than just put a squad together to get us out of league 1 -and I think Grigg is good enough to do both.
Buy hey, it's itrelivant now.
I think Sharp is good enough to get us out of this league, but I don't know if by the time we get there he'll be a top championship striker too.

From the pig end makes a good point...

Woolford is a good addition to any side at this level Imo...

But the reason we released him, along with 17 others, is because the chairman felt we needed to start again and build a team based on players that will not just hopefully get us back up, but will allow us to compete in the Championship.

The last 3 seasons have been real struggles, because the chairman believed that paying just over the hill, unmotivated players big money, just because they had experience in the Championship, would make us competitive.

It didn't.

So the likes of Shittu, McDonald, Bailey, Woolford, Chaplow and Dunne have been leg go...im sure that lot would have given us a strong side at this level...but then what? More struggle...as they've proven not to be up to it in the Championship.

However, having said all that the addition of a player like Woolford to compliment a squad isn't a bad move - he will give you 100% and will create chances at this level.

It's avoiding building a whole team of these kind of players - see Doncaster Rovers. They may go up - but unless they then overhaul the squad completely again they'll come straight back down.

The Woolford signing is a good one if Murphy stays and we build on what we've got.

Whilst the signing itself may seem underwhelming to some, we do have to consider how many players who we could realistically sign that would make us overwhelmed, i won't hesitate to say there won't be too many.

I like the snippets i've seen of Woolford and look forward to seeing him in a Blades shirt alongside our other good players. I can hope can't i:)

Back
Top Bottom