Moronic Fans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What about the clappers who have clapped us to the third division through their red and white tinted glasses without raising a murmur except for a "I'm a big blade me" post.

Much worse than not complaining, and no I don't boo.

I disagree, I think it's a method of making sure none of what you just described as football, actually takes place.

I agree it can be effective. I also think it could have been quite effective if we did it from the 49th minute.
Rubbish ,so you think when players play keep ball or pig in the middle at half time is not a skill and a waste of time. What exactly do you suggest we should have done in the last 8 minutes. I know you have an obsession with pace but not everything n the game is built around pace ,passing close control and ability to hold on to a ball are far more about football than tactics and running fast.

Rubbish ,so you think when players play keep ball or pig in the middle at half time is not a skill and a waste of time. What exactly do you suggest we should have done in the last 8 minutes. I know you have an obsession with pace but not everything n the game is built around pace ,passing close control and ability to hold on to a ball are far more about football than tactics and running fast.
Ultimately sitwell ,i think we would have been better giving them the ball and drawing the game 1-1:rolleyes:

I think you need to calm down before you reply sometimes. I've done hundreds of hours of keep ball and pig in the middle. It is fun, good exercise and takes skill. I've made the trip to Shirecliffe a few times to watch things like that, but when I go to a match I want to see football being played, not the crap that's done in the corner to waste time. I would have liked to see well worked corner routines and Harris crossing the ball onto Basham's head, rather than what happened. I have an obsession with well balanced teams with complementary skills. If pace is missing I say so, if creativity or skill is missing I also say so.

I've always thought it's been a bad idea to boo own players if, say they put a cross into row z. I wouldn't have joined in myself on Saturday (a quiet cringe would be my way of protest), but this was a set of fans who disagreed with the team's needless, cowardly and cynical action of trying to prevent football from being played, rather than having an attempt on goal. There was no criticism of a player's effort or ability, nothing to affect anyone's confidence, it was a spontaneous reaction to the choice of action.

I noticed one of the Unitedites who gestured and loudly voiced his anger and frustration at Bob Harris' refusal to hit in a cross was Chris Basham.

As I've said elsewhere, 'trying to prevent football from being played' is part of the game, legal within the laws of the game and a matter of choice. At what point to do you disagree with it? The cynical Italian catenaccio system, designed to grind out a 1-0 win? Any system playing 5 at the back? The way Crawley turned up and were time wasting almost from the kick-off?

And sometimes it's needed. I'm sure Brazilians love to be reminded of 1982 and the greatest team that never won the World Cup, and all because they wanted to have some more shots and goals against the Italians. I know it haunts Zico that but for a bit of pragmatism rather than idealism he would've been a World Cup winner.

As for me, I'd sooner get riled and boo at the stuff that should be punished. The cheating (or diving) the pushing, pulling, shirt pulling for every corner, free kick into the box. If a bit of cynical 'cowardly' play means we finally achieve something....great!

I would also have preferred to see Harris cross for Basham to head in. Heres an idea ,why don't we do it every 2 minutes and win 45-0. Meanwhile in the real world preventing 'football' by playing football is a realistic way of protecting a lead.

As I've said elsewhere, 'trying to prevent football from being played' is part of the game, legal within the laws of the game and a matter of choice. At what point to do you disagree with it? The cynical Italian catenaccio system, designed to grind out a 1-0 win? Any system playing 5 at the back? The way Crawley turned up and were time wasting almost from the kick-off?

And sometimes it's needed. I'm sure Brazilians love to be reminded of 1982 and the greatest team that never won the World Cup, and all because they wanted to have some more shots and goals against the Italians. I know it haunts Zico that but for a bit of pragmatism rather than idealism he would've been a World Cup winner.

As for me, I'd sooner get riled and boo at the stuff that should be punished. The cheating (or diving) the pushing, pulling, shirt pulling for every corner, free kick into the box. If a bit of cynical 'cowardly' play means we finally achieve something....great!

Next week it may be Preston who holds it up in the corner in the last ten minutes to prevent our fightback. I don't think that will be what rescues us from further third division embarrassment.

I don't mind any defensive tactical set up. Brazil lacked defensive solidity and a decent goalkeeper from what I've seen and read, although the 1982 World Cup was too early for me. I wish referees were stricter when it comes to teams who are time wasting and slowing down the pace of the game. I dislike diving. Pushing and shirt pulling is a problem, but players do risk getting caught and a lot of penalties are being awarded for those things. Post match bans for attempts to cheat (fooling the referee, diving and pretending to be injured) would reduce the problem.

Next week it may be Preston who holds it up in the corner in the last ten minutes to prevent our fightback. I don't think that will be what rescues us from further third division embarrassment.

I don't mind any defensive tactical set up. Brazil lacked defensive solidity and a decent goalkeeper from what I've seen and read, although the 1982 World Cup was too early for me. I wish referees were stricter when it comes to teams who are time wasting and slowing down the pace of the game. I dislike diving. Pushing and shirt pulling is a problem, but players do risk getting caught and a lot of penalties are being awarded for those things. Post match bans for attempts to cheat (fooling the referee, diving and pretending to be injured) would reduce the problem.

..and if Preston did, good luck to them. Ultimately, time-wasting/holding the ball for the last 10 minutes would accumulate 6-8 points in a season. Add that to our totals over the last few seasons.

My point if that slowing the game down are part of it, not illegal and impossible to legislate against. The other things aren't!

What about the clappers who have clapped us to the third division through their red and white tinted glasses without raising a murmur except for a "I'm a big blade me" post.

Much worse than not complaining, and no I don't boo.

The atmosphere in the last 5 or 6 years has been as hostile to our own players as I've ever known it. We've even had protests against new managers!

I would also have preferred to see Harris cross for Basham to head in. Heres an idea ,why don't we do it every 2 minutes and win 45-0. Meanwhile in the real world preventing 'football' by playing football is a realistic way of protecting a lead.

You asked me what I wanted us to do instead.

Would you have been ok with us trying to hold the ball in the corner from the 49th minute?

No that's ridiculous though isn't it ?
Would you rather we played keep ball or lost it and one our defenders had to do a pro tackle and really' cheat' risking a ban ?

..and if Preston did, good luck to them. Ultimately, time-wasting/holding the ball for the last 10 minutes would accumulate 6-8 points in a season. Add that to our totals over the last few seasons.

My point if that slowing the game down are part of it, not illegal and impossible to legislate against. The other things aren't!

If all winning teams do it (successfully) every match once they are happy with the score after 84 minutes, then effectively we're just shortening the playing time? Maybe we could introduce a new rule that gives the winning team the chance to just end the game if they're happy with the score after 80 minutes. Obviously some would be disappointed to lose out on a few minutes of wrestling in the corner, but the rest of us could get back in the pub a bit earlier! ;)

If all winning teams do it (successfully) every match once they are happy with the score after 84 minutes, then effectively we're just shortening the playing time? Maybe we could introduce a new rule that gives the winning team the chance to just end the game if they're happy with the score after 80 minutes. Obviously some would be disappointed to lose out on a few minutes of wrestling in the corner, but the rest of us could get back in the pub a bit earlier! ;)

Of course the beauty of the game is that it doesn't always work. Some will make a mess of it, some will find a creative way around it and get back possession. The best way, of course is sticking away the chances before that point so it becomes unnecessary. Which is a completely different discussion as far as United are concerned and the one that should have been the focus after Saturday.

I didn't go to the game, but by all accounts no way were we bossing the game or comfortable and that would rather support a more negative approach in the closing stages to protect a result. We had something to lose - they didn't.

I think the circumstances need to be taken into account - I don't believe its "take it to the corner" every time or "cross it" every time.If we were outplaying them and passing them off the park ( we weren't by all accounts) then maybe a different approach could have come in but in those circumstances I doubt we would be only 1-0 up ( except, as the Star reminded me, last season we had the joint 20th worst attack - joint with Crawley :().

No that's ridiculous though isn't it ?
Would you rather we played keep ball or lost it and one our defenders had to do a pro tackle and really' cheat' risking a ban ?

I certainly think it is ridiculous! :)

I'm happy with us holding a lot of players back; happy with us keeping the ball within the team through using space, movement and accurate passing; happy with us defending with good organisation. I don't accept that the alternative to keeping the ball in the corner is something awful.

I didn't go to the game, but by all accounts no way were we bossing the game or comfortable and that would rather support a more negative approach in the closing stages to protect a result. We had something to lose - they didn't.

I think the circumstances need to be taken into account - I don't believe its "take it to the corner" every time or "cross it" every time.If we were outplaying them and passing them off the park ( we weren't by all accounts) then maybe a different approach could have come in but in those circumstances I doubt we would be only 1-0 up ( except, as the Star reminded me, last season we had the joint 20th worst attack - joint with Crawley :().

We were very comfortable in the second half with most of the play being in Crawley's half.

This is from Deadbat's report:

The second half clearly saw that Clough’s words had some effect as the tempo was much better from the Blades. They were quicker to the ball and were getting it forward quicker. It did not take long for this improvement to get rewarded.

After Higdon held the ball up and moved it wide, Murphy then found Alcock who played a ball inside. BAXTER hit it first time using the momentum of the pass to get the necessary whip on the shot. It nestled just inside the far post giving the motionless Jensen no chance. It was an excellent goal and one that lit up a mostly dreary contest. The goal scorer slid on his knees in front of the United bench, using the now wet surface after the first half downpour to good effect!

Soon after United nearly made it two as again Baxter was at the end of a move but this time his low shot went just wide of the post. United came again as Davies showed some good work to get in and maybe could have shot but his pull back gave Hidgon a chance but it was blocked. Basham then had an effort cleared and Davies again nearly forged a chance.

Crawley were struggling to stop the attacks now and the game was being played entirely in their third. Flynn came on for Baxter who may have taken a slight knock and then soon after this McGahey had a chance but badly scuffed wide after Jensen could not deal with a corner.

Just to add to that SouthEssexBlade ,if Preston were to do it,i'd say exactly what i said when we were doing it,and that was "they had 85 mins to get a goal before we started taking it to the corner,so it wasn't down to us to gift them a goal."

Even clougth said they don't want to play like that on radio sheff. He said players thought it was nearer time. Listen to interview anti booers. Holier than thou shit

He's admitted it was too early, players thought it was later so fine. No hard feelings, all is forgiven. Crowd were entitled to let them know it in my opinion.

Time to forget about it now I think.

Even clougth said they don't want to play like that on radio sheff. He said players thought it was nearer time. Listen to interview anti booers. Holier than thou shit

"Anti-booers" you say? That's not a phrase I've heard used before. It could only come from S2, I suppose, so I'm not surprised.

It means, by necessary implication, that there must be a group of "pro-booers". Who are they? What are their guiding principles? I think we need to know.

I wonder how many in here would like a group of people booing them at their place of work , if they werent performing. sat in a tele sales office getting heckled, or on a counter being shouted at , your not fit to wear that overall

Ah, but that involves barracking the opposition. He wants the constitutional right to abuse our own team in the course of winning three valuable points. It's the Bladesfans' Way.

Personally I favour the 'leave the stadium' option.

Ah,the sweeping generalisation. Could have been worse from you, I suppose. You could have accused those who boo of being EDL members, like you did those who had the temerity to enjoy our promotion season under Dave Bassett.

And BTL, I don't know where you work, but in my experience people who do a bad job do get told off or disciplined at work.

Ah,the sweeping generalisation. Could have been worse from you, I suppose. You could have accused those who boo of being EDL members, like you did those who had the temerity to enjoy our promotion season under Dave Bassett.

And BTL, I don't know where you work, but in my experience people who do a bad job do get told off or disciplined at work.

Even if they aceheive all the goals set for them? Glad I dont work with you.

Even if they aceheive all the goals set for them? Glad I dont work with you.

are you implying that all the goals were achieved on Saturday? - personally it would be 5 /10 must try harder after the abject performance against Crawley.

If we carry on like that, then all we will end up with is mid table mediocrity.

UTB

PS: and no I didn't boo !

On a whole the performance was very disappointing I think the majority on this forum would agree. Booing a team 1-0 up should never happen though at any level, if we was attacking in the dieing minutes and got hit on the break throwing away 2 points would be more of a cause for concern surely. The fact the player held the ball in the corner showed how much they wanted to win the game and get the three points.

Football is a results game, I'm sure Clough and the board would rather see us winning and playing poor than losing and playing well. We all remember boring boring Arsenal winning games regularly 1-0 where are they now........win whatever it takes I say.

I was rather glad to hear that Clough did not like the time wasting that went on in the last 5 to 10 minutes. He said on RS that the in the corner nonense is for the last minute of the match and he seemed to think the players were unware of how long was left to play.

You run away from the point with a great turn of pace....

Having agreed with your campaign for 'real football' for as long as I can remember, we have just parted company over what I will judge as unsporting behaviour.
Bramall Lane is supposed to be an entertainment venue as you well know but entertainment died in those last minutes.

Back
Top Bottom