January Shopping List

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC Guy

Reaction score
What positions do we need to fill and who are the realistic targets? I expect it will be loans that won't kill us financially in the long run.

GK?
Powerfull pacey striker?
Attacking midfielder?
A giant CB maybe?

Top end Championship may be the pond that we'll be fishing in.

What positions do we need to fill and who are the realistic targets? I expect it will be loans that won't kill us financially in the long run.

GK?
Powerfull pacey striker?
Attacking midfielder?
A giant CB maybe?

All of the above please Santa/Jesus/Fairy Godmother.

I think the big spend will be on loan wages and not permanent signings 👍
Wasn't Hecky told the budget was £20 million pre-season? And the rest had to be loans?

Can't see CW being given any money at all. Think it will have to be loans market.

Wasn't Hecky told the budget was £20 million pre-season? And the rest had to be loans?

Can't see CW being given any money at all. Think it will have to be loans market.
Loans cost money as well, what Hecky said pre season was that he had a ‘pot’ to spend. How he spent this was up to him. Wilder will probably be told that if some go out then he can bring others in. Jebbison might get us some money, Thomas will free wages up. We haven’t got that much more to play with!

I’d say it’s unlikely that ‘extra’ funds will be found unless we’ve saved money elsewhere.

We need at some point in the next 12 months to find

GK
CB- capable of playing both centrally and on the right
CM- a player capable of being the controller and focal point of the midfield
AM
ST- someone to lead the line and offer a focal point of others to play off
LB - hopefully RND comes back and finds form but even so we’ll need to find cover/competition for him.

We need at some point in the next 12 months to find

GK
CB- capable of playing both centrally and on the right
CM- a player capable of being the controller and focal point of the midfield
AM
ST- someone to lead the line and offer a focal point of others to play off
LB - hopefully RND comes back and finds form but even so we’ll need to find cover/competition for him.
Would you not see Hamer in the CM role?

Would you not see Hamer in the CM role?
I don’t know he’s not done it so far for us he strikes me more as someone who goes box to box and influences the game at the top of the pitch. But maybe he could do it if he was asked although we might lose something creatively if he was tasked with controlling the tempo of the game.

I don’t know he’s not done it so far for us he strikes me more as someone who goes box to box and influences the game at the top of the pitch. But maybe he could do it if he was asked although we might lose something creatively if he was tasked with controlling the tempo of the game.
I think we’ll need him to be exactly that if we do the rest of your business. Hamer, plus a AM and another creative/conductor in the middle of the park is going to be a squeeze.
You’d also need to fit someone in to do the defensive stuff or to sit in alongside Hamer if he’s box to boxing.

I think we’ll need him to be exactly that if we do the rest of your business. Hamer, plus a AM and another creative/conductor in the middle of the park is going to be a squeeze.
You’d also need to fit someone in to do the defensive stuff or to sit in alongside Hamer if he’s box to boxing.
Ideally I think you find a player who can do the spade work and control the tempo from deep but I admit finding that type of player in our budget would be a hell of a find. Norwood comes close when he’s having one of his better games but his age counts against him in terms of being a piece for the future aswell as his weakness against the press. Doyle looked like he might have it in his locker to do both at times last year.

Domestic players
Reliable top end championship performers
Good physical specimens
Young but seasoned
Affordable - expiring contracts most likely

The best examples of these for me are:

Jimmy Dunne - CB at QPR, 26 y/o
Paddy McNair - CB/CM at Boro, 28
Sam Field - left footed CM at QPR, 25
Sam Gallagher - CF at Blackburn, 28
(All 6 foot 1 or above)

These players may not quite be PL quality but they could compete at this level, make us a lot stronger overall and be excellent building blocks for next season without breaking the bank

Callum O'Hare is another with an expiring contract who we should look at. Attacking midfielder who'd give us the spark we'll need. Ilias Chair is a similar player, he has 18 months left but might still be affordable

There are a number of other CBs with 6 months left but the most likely target of them for us may be Eiran Cashin at Derby, a young left CB. Nathan Wood at Swansea another, he's right footed

I'd very much like a GK but it depends what's available. Johansen at Rotherham may be a good option, and I'm sure they'd sell

Any idea who we’re in for?
I’d heard Wilder was happy with his budget and it was more than he expected and Akpom was mentioned to me.

Loans are what make sense in this situation, (to the prince) there is a glimmer of hope now albeit incredibly slim, high quality loans on good wages and roll the dice. The Prince seems to gamble a fair bit with us and if he’s to sell he’s got more hope of a selling a PL club than a Champs one

The likely scenario with high cost loans is that we still go down, just on a few more points, and end up scraping the barrel in the summer when we actually need to build our own squad to bounce back

I hope we don't go down that route

One such loan may be acceptable, but no more. Akpom would be great. But I doubt Ajax will want to entertain it

Ideally I think you find a player who can do the spade work and control the tempo from deep but I admit finding that type of player in our budget would be a hell of a find. Norwood comes close when he’s having one of his better games but his age counts against him in terms of being a piece for the future aswell as his weakness against the press. Doyle looked like he might have it in his locker to do both at times last year.
I think Doyle could be a realistic loan next year in the Championship possibly with a view to buy if we go up.

Brooks has solved a bit of a problem as he's another body, and Souza, Hamer and Norwood have looked far better (so far) than they did before. If Larouci can play like he did last night and RND comes back, that might keep the wolf from the door at LWB (Osborn in reserve).

I reckon 100% he goes for a keeper;

Get a centre half in case of injuries (though Robbo and Trusty look a decent partnership);

Mid

Striker

Never mind ITK I'm DKS (don't know shit). But I reckon 4, with the big money (any he's given and any he can raise) on Keeper and Striker. Personally I don't think there's value in the Championship, I think he'll look abroad and Prem benches.

And raising money..... I'm sure Fleck will go, Thomas definitely, possibly Lowe, Osborn. Jebbo but we don't know what's what.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if there's a shock or two; if Anel went if he brought in good money and he's seen someone else; or (and I wouldn't want this and I know it's daft talk, I just mean if it freed up funds and brought in someone he desperately wants) he couldn't sacrifice McAtee could he?? If McAtee doesn't quite fit in and it gave him the money to get a goalscorer to keep us up, would he??

Domestic players
Reliable top end championship performers
Good physical specimens
Young but seasoned
Affordable - expiring contracts most likely

The best examples of these for me are:

Jimmy Dunne - CB at QPR, 26 y/o
Paddy McNair - CB/CM at Boro, 28
Sam Field - left footed CM at QPR, 25
Sam Gallagher - CF at Blackburn, 28
(All 6 foot 1 or above)

These players may not quite be PL quality but they could compete at this level, make us a lot stronger overall and be excellent building blocks for next season without breaking the bank

Callum O'Hare is another with an expiring contract who we should look at. Attacking midfielder who'd give us the spark we'll need. Ilias Chair is a similar player, he has 18 months left but might still be affordable

There are a number of other CBs with 6 months left but the most likely target of them for us may be Eiran Cashin at Derby, a young left CB. Nathan Wood at Swansea another, he's right footed

I'd very much like a GK but it depends what's available. Johansen at Rotherham may be a good option, and I'm sure they'd sell
Have a feeling we won't be signing any domestics. Don't know why. A few more foreigners I feel, cheaper. Maybe a Brit playing, or not playing enough, in a European league wanting to come back to UK. Like I said, DKW, I'm not IDK, just GAF. (Got a feeling)

I think Doyle could be a realistic loan next year in the Championship possibly with a view to buy if we go up.
I think if we find that type of player to play alongside Hamer and bring in an AM if we want to play a different shape then Blaster, Brooks and probably Osborn (if extended) can make up the rest. I don’t see Souza staying for the championship but maybe he will.

Not ITK (felt it needed to be stated):
Any players going out may free up wages nothing more- c'mon would you pay money for any of those mentioned? Certainly wouldn't blow more than a couple of hundred grand and who would have that money anyway?
Pond we are fishing in - our under 21s but we do desperately need a GK.

GK?
Powerfull pacey striker?
Attacking midfielder?
A giant CB maybe?

Wilder only ever wanted top end championship. We cannot afford this

The likely scenario with high cost loans is that we still go down, just on a few more points, and end up scraping the barrel in the summer when we actually need to build our own squad to bounce back

I hope we don't go down that route

One such loan may be acceptable, but no more. Akpom would be great. But I doubt Ajax will want to entertain it

Fully agree but I think in the princes eyes he gambles and we stay up he gets much more money for the club than if we go down. Regardless of our status he likely sees next summers recruitment as the next owners problem you would imagine.

Back
Top Bottom