Pre-Season 2023/24 Rotherham United v Sheffield United - 25th July 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There's work to be done, that's for sure. Players need to improve their first touches, make better runs off the ball instead of playing Subbuteo (standing static waiting for the ball to come to them), completing two passes in a row would be nice to see, preferably forwards and not this constant meaningless, purposeless, negative safety ball backwards passing ALL THE TIME.

The fact that Neal and Norwood's replacement dictated play far better than Norwood did spoke volumes about how far off Norwood is to being match sharp for Palace. We looked better in the last 15 minutes with the kids than we did all match with the "first team" squad. Jebbo needs to learn to look up. He constantly runs into players or fails to spot passes as he has tunnel vision.

Yes, it's only a pre-season match designed for fitness and trying out a new formation, but that was crap with way too many players looking lethargic and lost for ideas, with very poor ball control and passing. Rotherham looked fitter, sharper and more dangerous than we did.

Three games left to be ready and we look far from ready, both on the pitch and on paper, where there is little to no transfer talk, a major worry for Palace. We need reinforcements for the starting eleven, not the bench. Will we bring anyone else in for Palace? It's not looking likely.

I like the new formation but we don't have the players to make it work today. We're way too lethargic in attack, constantly slowing down our own play. Way too many players turning their backs to Rotherham's goal as soon as they receive the ball with the first thought to pass back, under little to no pressure. Too many players looking rusty with awful first touches and no control, or running straight into players because they don't look up. We need some urgency and meaning in our play, something we saw only in the last 5 minutes where we finally looked like a threat. We've made this way too easy for Rotherham who were by far the better side and most likely to score.

Some of these problems are because it's pre-season with a new formation. The passing backwards is something we often did last season and it is so frustrating to watch. What is the point in keeping the ball and dominating possession if you dobabsolutely f*** all of meaning or purpose with it? We actually started to look better when Norwood went off as play started moving forwards and down the widths.

On the plus side Brooks, Neal and Larouci have been good. There was nothing Wes could do about the goal, it was a freak fluke. Thank God this is only pre-season with a makeshift side as that first half was crap and a dullfest to watch.
It's a friendly mate

3779 blades in a crowd of 7216. Absolutely remarkable amount of people again attending an away friendly.
No way there was almost as many Rotherham fans there as United. Was surprised when they announced the attendance. Looked 2k max of their lot.

Impressed with Neal and Brooks. I think the latter has always looked confident and composed in the small amount he’s played for the first team so far, and he was being played on the right tonight.

Overall not too bothered or worried with the game, it’s only a friendly!

Regardless if it's a friendly or not - we should not be losing. Winning breeds confidence ......

I am still in disbelief that we are going into the EPL with this midfield as our backup. Miles away from being a good league 1 midfield they are.

People need to just stop being full weights here, is winning nice? Yeah. Is winning with a side comprised heavily of U21s away at a championship side because we play tomorrow night important for moral? No. For most of those lads it was an advertisement job hoping for a league one loan or a bit of fitness work.

There's work to be done, that's for sure. Players need to improve their first touches, make better runs off the ball instead of playing Subbuteo (standing static waiting for the ball to come to them), completing two passes in a row would be nice to see, preferably forwards and not this constant meaningless, purposeless, negative safety ball backwards passing ALL THE TIME.

The fact that Neal and Norwood's replacement dictated play far better than Norwood did spoke volumes about how far off Norwood is to being match sharp for Palace. We looked better in the last 15 minutes with the kids than we did all match with the "first team" squad. Jebbo needs to learn to look up. He constantly runs into players or fails to spot passes as he has tunnel vision.

Yes, it's only a pre-season match designed for fitness and trying out a new formation, but that was crap with way too many players looking lethargic and lost for ideas, with very poor ball control and passing. Rotherham looked fitter, sharper and more dangerous than we did.

Three games left to be ready and we look far from ready, both on the pitch and on paper, where there is little to no transfer talk, a major worry for Palace. We need reinforcements for the starting eleven, not the bench. Will we bring anyone else in for Palace? It's not looking likely.
Regardless if it's a friendly or not - we should not be losing. Winning breeds confidence ......

I am still in disbelief that we are going into the EPL with this midfield as our backup. Miles away from being a good league 1 midfield they are.
Are these some sort of parody accounts?

Really enjoyed watching Brooks and Neal tonight. You can't tell how good they are in friendly games but they were impressive and I'd like to see them go out on loan this season. I worry Neal may be too slow but he certainly has the technique. Brooks needs to get a proper run of games somewhere.

The ref was frantically whistling to get someone to come on and deal with Oli, but nobody else seemed all that concerned initially.

As for the game we all know what Illy can do but I was impressed with Neal. I thought Brooks had a good game but Larouci looks to be a better wing back than full back.

Charlie Staniland
I think it’s good to see us getting these kids involved with the first team after signing their contracts, even if it’s only a pre-season friendly. Staniland only turned 18 a few weeks ago I think, and was captaining the under 18s for much of last season (and playing with the older academy teams too admittedly). Think this was his first genuine senior game though and it must build confidence about making progress again this year.

I’ve watched Harrison Neal on numerous occasions from the age of fifteen upwards, he’s invariably looked a class above anyone else on the pitch.

Why he’s never had the first team opportunities other players from the academy have had, is beyond me?

Glad people coming round to Neal. I highlighted him in our first game as being technically really good on the ball and very composed... But was greeted with pelters.

He has a bright future in the game but his pace may be a limiting factor.

If we go down this season would like to see him given the opportunity to be Norwood's successor in the quarterback role in the championship.

Back
Top Bottom